off piste at Ski Bowl MT. Hood (check this out )- Mtbr.com
    SNOWRIDER

off piste at Ski Bowl MT. Hood (check this out )

I did a no-no but I had permission from the lift op's I've been debating whether or not I want to even mention this on the internet but here goes.

End of day on Sat just as the upper bowl chair was closing , I was the only one in the upper bowl except the two lift operators so I asked what kind of trouble I would get in if I hucked into the canyon and rode the ski slope down ( I've been eyeballing this run every time I go up the lift) they both said go for it dude I got to see this !

Having allready eyed my line from the chair and looked over the edge to pic my drop in.
    I didn't hesitate just rolled over the edge at the top of Cannonball and man talk about a level of commitment. No turning back now. Damn guys thats fvcking steep.The absolute slowest I could keep my speed was 20 + mph with the back wheel locked up most of the way down and good for nothing else but a rudder and full pressure on the front brake I could not have stopped the bike for nothing short of a crash I am going to the bottom now either on the bike or as a ragdoll

The run is super steepand extremely rocky and loose with a few small rock drops and prob 1/2 of a mile long. The bike was so loose and drifting the a$$ end around that it felt more like the ski bike than the Norco. I ended up dabbing 3 times and ran the whole run, about 2/3 of the way down you can finally let off the brakes and let her go MAN WHAT A RUSH

Any locals that know this slope chime in and let me know what you think, I know we've all eyeball it. And I did it.. Anyone else done this or seen it done.?.....

Sorry guys I know you want pics but the only ones that even saw me do it was the guys working the lift. They were working the alpne slide let off later in the evening and me and my buddies all heard what they thought about it..
    Last edited by Deweydude; 07-04-2006 at 08:47 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

100% Cheesy Goodness
    I never thought it was that steep up there, but its all relative. Personally I stopped wasting my $$$ at ski bowl years ago so my memory aint that good. I really dont jive with the super rocky terrain up there either. Kudos for doing it though. Now if ski bowl would just get a clue and actually do something for mountain biking things would be alot better there. Anyone remember the gorge games of long ago, when a norba national was actually held there? would be nice but unlikely to happen. Sucks that you had to
    "poach" that run. It should be allowed, or (heaven forbid) they should put in a trail there or more for that matter.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Meh.
    Your story sucks without pictures of the terrain at the very least.

Feb 2004
    This one time I rode the gnar. Everyone thought it was pretty tough.

SNOWRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    I never thought it was that steep up there, but its all relative. Personally I stopped wasting my $$$ at ski bowl years ago so my memory aint that good. I really dont jive with the super rocky terrain up there either. Kudos for doing it though. Now if ski bowl would just get a clue and actually do something for mountain biking things would be alot better there. Anyone remember the gorge games of long ago, when a norba national was actually held there? would be nice but unlikely to happen. Sucks that you had to
    "poach" that run. It should be allowed, or (heaven forbid) they should put in a trail there or more for that matter.

agreed completely about ski bowl I don/t care that much for it myself just not enough variety of terrain. And I'd never thought that was that steep either till I was on it, it is def steeper than it looks......
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Glad to Be Alive
    congrats.......always doing new stuff is real cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0