not just another tire thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

not just another tire thread

okay, I don't want to be that guy, but I posted this over in the tire forum and figured this would get more traffic. Help a brutha out.

I got a new bike, Kona Stinky Primo and the geometry is steeper than the bike I came off of, a Santa Cruz Super 8. I expected this to be a plus as it would be a bit more aggressive in the push, but I keep pushing out the front end. Really unpredicatably too, or rather predictably but at last minutes notice with nothing to stop it. Driving me crazy, I never used to push the front end.

Well, I am running the Maxxis Minion 2.5 on a deemax UST set up and thought that would be great based on the reviews I read. I have a set of old Hugi Mavic wheels with Maxxis 2.35's on it and I swapped them on today. Huge difference, bike hooks up like I thought it should. Could push it waaay deep and it was predictable.

Soooo, what is the deal with these tires? Everyone is all amped up over the minions and they are supposed to be good in the pow, but from what I have experienced they suck.

I live in Santa Barbara so run a combination of rock and dust. Running about 18-23 psi and struggling in the deeper dust.

I am thinking of checking out the high roller as I had a rear that was really predictable before.

Any feedback as to what I am experiencing or where to go from here?

I have always been a fan of the directional fronts fwiw.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I know a lot of people who run mud tires if they are in really duffy powder trails, but usually only on the back. I would try a Michelin comp 16 2.5 on the front as it is a UST tire and I swear by them in all conditions Only drawback to this tire is it rolls crappy. Just use it in the front. Also, ignore the directional arrow. (Michelin cast it backwards...)

mtbr member
    sweet thanks. You have a link to that one? I just found the DH 16 on their webpage.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero
    sweet thanks. You have a link to that one? I just found the DH 16 on their webpage.
    You got it...

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...104004&lang=EN

mtbr member
    holla.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    check out the WTB Dissent... XD

Glad to Be Alive
    I like the highroller on the rear but I have it slide out too much on the front in dusty conditions......you might want to check the 2.5 Michelin 24 AT in dusty conditions ...works down in Simi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ricky DH
    I run the Maxias Minion "F's" front and rear @ about 23-25 psi and they drift a bit, but are mostly predictable. Also, they are the 60 duro for longevity. The softer compound would be much more girppy but I'd have to replace them too often.

Members who have read this thread: 0