Not Another One...- Mtbr.com

Poll: What Rims

Portland, OR

Not Another One...

Yea, theres been a thread about this recently. But my situation is a bit different.

Which Wheels?

Right now I've been contemplating getting a new wheelset.

I'm going bigger and bigger daily, as well as doing dumb stuff too. (like riding my bike in the skatepark)

Right now I have sun rims singletracks. and while they havent shown any signs that I'm riding them too hard. like coming untrue or cracks or anything like that. But thats what kind of has me worried. I'm going to whistler pretty soon, I dont want to have a failure up there. because right now my only spare rear wheel is a WTB Dual Duty. Its pinned only and I dont think its the safest rim.

So I think I want a new wheelset.

I ride mainly FR and Downhill. Think lots of whistler, and lots of blackrock (falls city)

I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. because I might replace my brakes as well.

The wheelset that really intrigues me the most, is a mavic EX325 on XT/Quando sealed 20mm hubs. Its $169.99 and at that price, I could buy everything I need for this season. The hubs arent the greatest, but hubs dont matter to me as much as the rim. I dont know much about mavic rims. I only know that the EX325 were stock on the santacruz jackal and on one of the demo bikes from specialized, right?

Of course theres Azonic outlaws, they're a little more than I would like to spend, but if those 325's aren't going to hold up, I don't mind going for the extra $$ to have a sturdy set of wheels on my rig.

Mavic Deetracks. pricy, but maybe worth it? I HAD some, I really liked them, but I sold them because I thought they would be " too much wheel for my DJ bike"

I would just go out and buy a rear performance loco to match my front. but they're only pinned. which leaves me a little worried.

So which is it? The affordable and bombproof? Mavic EX325's, the bit pricy and everyone has one azonic outlaw, or the ultimate deetracks? I need 135mm rear spacing. I know...weird for a DH bike huh.

** In the poll, I forgot to add a " keep the singletracks, untill you break them, or they break you"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    Git rid 0 the 9's.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

moaaar shimz
    Yeah get some Juicys 7 for cheapppppp

Portland, OR
    Yea, I was planning on juicy 7's or possibly CODE
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

EastBaySteez
    I ride the WTB Dual duty FR. I dont care that they are pinned. I have moderate a amount of faith in those tanks of wheels.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I ride the WTB Dual duty FR. I dont care that they are pinned. I have moderate a amount of faith in those tanks of wheels.
    Clock on it's way
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

moaaar shimz
    My rear wheel is a Dual Duty and it was held up amazingly well, I abuse it a lot...

Unfortunately my front one died from a flatspot near the seam... hardcore landing on a rock off a stepdown

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    My rear wheel is a Dual Duty and it was held up amazingly well, I abuse it a lot...

Unfortunately my front one died from a flatspot near the seam... hardcore landing on a rock off a stepdown

I'll get a close up pic of my dual duty tomorrow. Either it was just sloppily put together or theres something wrong.

Its like, one end was thicker than the other end.

You'll see w/ pictures
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Glad to Be Alive
    here is what I would do

I would regrease all the bearings in your hub.....then I would get both rims trued

I would ride the rims you have and buy new brakes...

as long as your rims are trued and no loose spokes, then you are less likely to have problems with your rims......save your cash and ride the rims you have , with maintenance and trueing
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    here is what I would do

I would regrease all the bearings in your hub.....then I would get both rims trued

I would ride the rims you have and buy new brakes...

as long as your rims are trued and no loose spokes, then you are less likely to have problems with your rims......save your cash and ride the rims you have , with maintenance and trueing

I take really good care of my stuff. your advice is great, but I've already been doing it

I guess maybe my real question now that I think about it is, How much bigger can I take these rims? this year I'll be hitting every trail at whistler. and probably most of the trails at blackrock. Biggest drop by SMT measurement has been 15 feet. I'm not sure if I'll ever do that again, because it scared the sh!t out of me. But I'm getting into more technical DH. and just pure DH.

my motto as stated in another thread, is a properly built wheel with regular maintenance will be just as good as a slacked off primo wheel.

arent the singletracks just pinned and not welded? maybe I'm confused.

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of not buying new wheels all together but then again, I dont want to be left with JUST my hardtail, or JUST my fully at whistler I definatly feel better taking two bikes this year.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I ride the DH model....the rim is bombproof, I smashed the thing square on a rock at Downieville and nothing happened.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I ride the DH model....the rim is bombproof, I smashed the thing square on a rock at Downieville and nothing happened.
    yea, but yours are pinned and welded. also a professional rim.

the dual duty I have is the FR version. which seems craptastic, its OEM only I think. pinned and not welded.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Atomlab rims are pinned only. Welding creates heat, which distorts it. A pinned rim comes out truer and rounder. It's easier to build. Though Atomlabs are only pinned, they're damn near bombproof. Don't let the whole pin/weld thing get to you.

Ebay wheels? I think that seller has/had MTX rims too. They're worth taking a look at.

mtbr member
    36 hole transition revolutions!

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Atomlab rims are pinned only. Welding creates heat, which distorts it. A pinned rim comes out truer and rounder. It's easier to build. Though Atomlabs are only pinned, they're damn near bombproof. Don't let the whole pin/weld thing get to you.

Ebay wheels? I think that seller has/had MTX rims too. They're worth taking a look at.
    I was kinda thinking about the atom labs and how you dont see many trashed and they're only pinned. I'm pretty sure the loco's would hold up too.

but I've seen many expensive pinned wheels just collapse.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Is flexy
    I've got atom lab rims and have used them on two bikes now without having to true them yet. I'm about as smooth as sandpaper when i ride and these goddamn things just won't come out of true or flat spot. They are reasonably priced and they aren't that heavy either.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    Yea, I was planning on juicy 7's or possibly CODE
    If I'm not mistaken, the 5's are identical to the 7's other than the pad-adjustment knob. Better deal for the coin if you ask me. Code 5's are out now too...
    Trestle Bike Park

Bum Buzzer
    Drop pinned vs welded from he argument; welded rims are no stronger or better excepting if using
    A> rim brakes.

B> Possible issues with tubeless setups. (but not really)

A pinned rim is no cheaper or weaker than a welded rim.

ALL rims are PINNED then some welded, a rim that was just welded would break in an instant.

I've done large sections more then once on my trailpimps with 0psi and they are still here after 4 years, and I weigh 230.................

(But they're stupid heavy)

So if you want to play yappity clueless pimp, seek welded rims, otherwise seek strong rims (Welded or not - irrelevant)

Peace Coast Style
    I second the Transition Revolutions. Not only could they take the abuse of DH or FR, they aren't bad in the park either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    I have a LaserDisc DH laced to a 'Zocchi hub up front and that wheel is damn near bombproof. Out back, I have a 24" singletrack laced a Stout hub and I have yet to damage my back wheel. Other than needing some straighting the back wheel is extremely strong and has lasted for 1 1/2 yearsish so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0