Northstar questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Northstar questions

Well, this is my second season riding at N* and I think I have the place pretty well figured out, but there are still some random things I'm not so sure about:

1) What trails are not on the map? I know there's a trail called Three Amigos that I did last year that isn't on the map. And I thought I saw a sign for a trail called "KT" or something like that... Any others?

2) I hear people talking about Vietnam, the Slabs and the Waterfall. I'm pretty sure "The Slabs" refers to those big rock slabs at the top of Dog Bone (the one pictured on this year's brochure). And I think Vietnam and Waterfall are sections of Karpiel, but I'm not sure...

3) Where are the more notable drops? Now that I have my awesome Demo 9 I want to take it up a notch - I've hit the rock drop at the top of lower Karp and the rock drop in the middle of Sticks and Stones -what are the other "must do" drops and where are they?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks to any Northstar experts who can help enlighten me!

Scott

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by JustScott
    Well, this is my second season riding at N* and I think I have the place pretty well figured out, but there are still some random things I'm not so sure about:

1) What trails are not on the map? I know there's a trail called Three Amigos that I did last year that isn't on the map. And I thought I saw a sign for a trail called "KT" or something like that... Any others?

2) I hear people talking about Vietnam, the Slabs and the Waterfall. I'm pretty sure "The Slabs" refers to those big rock slabs at the top of Dog Bone (the one pictured on this year's brochure). And I think Vietnam and Waterfall are sections of Karpiel, but I'm not sure...

3) Where are the more notable drops? Now that I have my awesome Demo 9 I want to take it up a notch - I've hit the rock drop at the top of lower Karp and the rock drop in the middle of Sticks and Stones -what are the other "must do" drops and where are they?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks to any Northstar experts who can help enlighten me!

Scott
    Hey Scott,
    I saw your pics on the other thread, good times!! Yea, there's a couple others besides 3 amigos that are'nt on the map, but damn well should be! Speed control, starts right next to where dogbone hits the first fire road, just about 20 feet up the fire road from the rock drop. I think I saw you there, were you there with a younger guy on a...red? bullit? There's also a black diamond section of Woods, way over by competition and deer path, it's not as crazy as the other diamonds, but can still be fun for a high speed run. Bailout is off the map cause it's closed, but hopefully that will change soon.

2) Slabs is on dogbone, vietnam and the waterfall are on Karpiel, I'm not exactly sure how to explain it and it's been since last year since I rode them, but just take Karpiel in it's entirety, you'll go past the 2nd fire road that it hits and into a meadow, that is the section you can see really well from the Vista lift off to the left. they both begin there, I think " the waterfall is the first steep rockgarden, and vietnam is the section after that. There is also a section up there that is not on the map, look to the right at the tree line just after the meadow, for the "STD" sign.. it's all some pretty crazy stuff.

3) Ya want drops? go to boondocks! If I can figure out how, I'm gonna try to post some pretty funny video of the drops out there on this site, in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the info! That wasn't me with the young kid on the Bullit- there were at least two other Demo 9s around.

I LOVE that section you mention called STD. Last year I tried to ride it a bunch of times with nothing but endos to show for it, but this year I cleaned it first try on the Demo - that bike makes me a MUCH better rider!

I've only ridden Boondocks once but I'll have to go check it out again.

See you out there!

Scott

It "is" about the bike..
    Jan 2004

My Northstar Photo Galleries

As the previous post said, if you want drops go to Boondocks! You'll find some pictures of many of the drops at Northstar here in my photo galleries:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/golfman/mtb/PhotoAlbum26.html">Northstar Gallery #1</a>
    <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/golfman/mtb/PhotoAlbum30.html">Northstar Gallery #2</a>
    <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/golfman/mtb/PhotoAlbum52.html">Northstar Gallery #3</a>
    <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/golfman/mtb/PhotoAlbum54.html">Northstar Gallery #4</a>

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very nice pics Squizzle - can't wait to go there again TOMORROW!

Where on Dogbone is that pancake rock? That looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks,
    Scott

It "is" about the bike..
    Jan 2004

Pancake Rock

Vhere on Dogbone is that pancake rock? That looks like a lot of fun.
    I believe it's after the top section of Dog Bone. You cross a fireroad, and then it's right there. There's s rock/log pile built up to get you up onto the rock then it's about a 5' drop with a nice runout.

Hoping to get up there on Sunday!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squizzle
    I believe it's after the top section of Dog Bone. You cross a fireroad, and then it's right there. There's s rock/log pile built up to get you up onto the rock then it's about a 5' drop with a nice runout.

Hoping to get up there on Sunday!
    On Sunday, there was a big kicker on the right side of the trail that you could hit to land on top of the rock and then drop it.
    From the tracks it looked like 3-4 people may have attempted it. I sure as hell wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Well, this is my second season riding at N* and I think I have the place pretty well figured out
    Oooh... you shouldn't say things like that.

Just kidding, I know what you meant, but it made me think of something. Whenever I start feeling like I've got this or that section figured out, after I've nailed it a few times, a light bulb goes off in my head and I think to myself, hey wow, that was easy! Then it seems like it never fails, next time around I hit the same section and get slammed, ouch! Back to reality. That happened to me yesterday on a section on sticks that I thought I had figured out. It could be that my skills are wanting, no doubt that's an important part of it, but no matter how big or small your skills are, Northstar is the kind of place where you can never get too comfortable, it requires constant focus, and an aggressive but calculated state of mind with no hesitation. I guess that's what makes it so much fun. Random Bruce Lee quote--"Consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of any physical activity." I read that on go-ride.com's riding tips, and I've always thought that's the coolest quote.

Anyway, yeah if you want drops, check out boondocks, there's a couple good ones. The pancake drop on dogbone is cool too. It's got some small rocks that you have to ride over to get up onto the rock. I've seen people start on the fireroad to get speed and then make a hard left, but I think it's easier to carry your speed if you start on the other side of the fireroad, then you get a more or less straight line across the fireroad and onto the rock. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got a SC Heckler with a maverick, and was wondering if this is suitible for N*? What trails would you suggest hitting up? I've good while riding ON the ground but am just starting to learn how to really air it out. Its taking me awhile, when I tried to learn to jump on my old hardtail I ate it so many times that its really hurt my confidence. the biggest jump I've hit is a little over 2 feet, but my last couple trys have almost ended in disaster. I think the problem is that I'm getting my speed and getting ready to jump it, but a couple feet before the drop there is a steep little foot high swooping hill that always throws me off. I'm gonna try to lessen the angle of the hill and see if that helps at all. So any tips on trails to ride or and drops/jumps would be a help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzleFizzleZizzle
    I've got a SC Heckler with a maverick, and was wondering if this is suitible for N*? What trails would you suggest hitting up?
    Sure. Get a trail map. The trails are rated. Green - boring fire road. Blue - mostly easy meandering single track. Black - not as easy, more rocky, fun on a xc bike. Double black - expert runs, dh bikes predominate but you can ride whatever you want. Don't be afraid to do some exploring, just use common sense, know your limits and be prepared to walk the hairball sections. Flame out is usually a pretty good one to start on to get your feet wet before hitting the harder stuff.