Northstar Bought by Vail Resorts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Northstar Bought by Vail Resorts

Just caught word that Vail has purchased Northstar this should be interesting to see what happens from here. I only see it getting better.

What do you all think?

Look at the time!
    I wasn't overly impressed with the way Northstar is run last year. Judging from this single visit, I would say it can only get better.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Proud lame eBiker
    From what I understand the resort had a very good Ski Season and the summer season, at least early reporting, showed gains as well. So hopefully the 'new owners' see the benefits of the bike park and also see that Squaw also thinks it's worth doing, and raises the bar to stay as the premier Tahoe Bike Park.

I actually thought that they did a good job this year on the runs that got used as Race Runs. A couple times we were up there the same day of a race and rode the run in the afternoon expecting the run to be blown out and ruined. But the opposite was true. It looked like N* had done a ton of watering and trail work to the Race Run, even so much that after all the practice and race runs the trail received that day, it was in awesome shape after all the pounding.

So thumbsup to N* for the work they did this year on the race runs they used.

But, thumbsdown for the lack of trail work and upkeep on non-race-run trails.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah i agree the non race runs where in need of some serious work.

on a side note vail is a huge ski resort in colorado they own 8 different resorts now including heavenly and northstar so hopefully they will dump some money into the bike park as they just spent 63 million on northstar

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    yeah i agree the non race runs where in need of some serious work.

on a side note vail is a huge ski resort in colorado they own 8 different resorts now including heavenly and northstar so hopefully they will dump some money into the bike park as they just spent 63 million on northstar
    Vail has neglected keystone for the past two seasons--hopefully they will invest in N* (and keystone) this year.

mtbr member
    I really enjoyed northstar this year.
    But local rumor has it; squaw valley is opening a sick bike park next year

I know what Ill be saving up for this winter!

Wuss extraordinare
    Just so you all know, vail resorts didn't actually buy northstar. They bought out booth creek who operated Northstar. It's still owned by CNL capital. Vail resorts will take over the day to day operations and pay rent to CNL. From what I hear one of the reasons that the pric was so good is that it's the only resort in Tahoe with consistent year round revenue. But I'm just a nobody who knows enough to be dangerous so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. ;P

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by albino rhino
    Just so you all know, vail resorts didn't actually buy northstar. They bought out booth creek who operated Northstar. It's still owned by CNL capital. Vail resorts will take over the day to day operations and pay rent to CNL. From what I hear one of the reasons that the pric was so good is that it's the only resort in Tahoe with consistent year round revenue. But I'm just a nobody who knows enough to be dangerous so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. ;P

CNL just owns the property.

Vail bought northstar.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I really enjoyed northstar this year.
    But local rumor has it; squaw valley is opening a sick bike park next year

I know what Ill be saving up for this winter!

Love the enthusiasm. Hopefully it bares fruit next year because this year was dull-drums at best. but I understand, it's the first year they threw some dirt around and are making trails. I'm stoked to see another mountain step up.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Love the enthusiasm. Hopefully it bares fruit next year because this year was dull-drums at best. but I understand, it's the first year they threw some dirt around and are making trails. I'm stoked to see another mountain step up.
    Well they did have a large points series race which brought in some big names and lots of participation......which equals bottom line numbers that a lot of places didn't do.

Of course they completely removed the infrastructure put in place for the event that would have left a long term positive impact on the park..............
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Wuss extraordinare
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    CNL just owns the property.

Vail bought northstar.
    I would personally consider ownership of the property as ownership of Northstar........but thats just me

Wuss extraordinare
    P.S. Kidoo if your gonna rip on me in the norcal forum, I'll post this here too:
    Your post is just as incorrect here as it was in the other forum.

What part of this headline do you not get?

And what part of this quote do you not get?
    I would personally consider ownership of the property as ownership of Northstar........but thats just me. I cannot say I know you, I can say I would like to meet you someday. But I can say you don't know me, nor why I might have the information I do. I did get that quote, in fact an individual from CNL was sitting in my office the morning the purchase was announced. Apparently you missed this quote 'Vail Resorts acquired the stock of the companies that operate Northstar-at-Tahoe from Booth Creek Resort Properties LLC and other sellers for total consideration of $63 million." Key word there being "operate", not "own".

Now off the whole argumentative side of me, and on to the more informative side, I have been told many improvements are planned, and it was within the terms of purchase that more profits would be put into increasing year round revenue and preparing for competition from other resorts in the Tahoe basin. Which is code for there gonna do some more stuff for the summertime! Don't know what yet but know its in the contract.

Moose Member
    The old runs at northstar got much better this year, gypsy, livewire, stix and such all became really nice runs. I was really dissapointed that some of the fun stuff was missing, like the log drops, the skills park at the end of phodog (the old teeter totters and such) and the wallrides.

Is it just me or do some of you also feel that northstar has a solid bike park, fun with some very technical runs, but theres nothign"huge" at Northstar? i mean yea, boondocks has a nice 6' drop, but wheres the massive jumps (besides the jump park) for more Slopestyle esque riding? Wheres the super air time runs like A-Line and the new Fade to Black?

I hope this means a lot of money will be put into the bike park. Im getting one season pass next year, will it be Squaw or Northstar?

Two side questions....

1. How big is the GLC drop?

2. Didn't Squaw mention something about a run "better than A-Line?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Don't hold your breath!

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Vail has neglected keystone for the past two seasons--hopefully they will invest in N* (and keystone) this year.
    Keystone is haggered...totally correct on that, when compared to Winter Park, Vail Resorts (The largest employer in Colorado) hasn't put 1/10th into what Winter Park or Solvista has done. They're so cheap they 1.) Haven't bought bike trays and say they never will because they're soooo expensive (Largest employer in the STATE remind you) 2.) When congratulated on using brick pavers on a notoriously bad break bumped berm section and asked if they plan on doing more, staff said "it took a pallet worth of pavers, a good chunk of their budget"....leads me to believe Vail Resorts doesn't give a flying F*** about DH mountain biking.

I've bought 2 season passes at Keystone and live 10 minutes away, but no more. Next year I'll drive 110+ miles round trip and buy a season pass to Winter Park or Solvista and ride a real bike park.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    P.S. Kidoo if your gonna rip on me in the norcal forum, I'll post this here too:

I would personally consider ownership of the property as ownership of Northstar........but thats just me. I cannot say I know you, I can say I would like to meet you someday. But I can say you don't know me, nor why I might have the information I do. I did get that quote, in fact an individual from CNL was sitting in my office the morning the purchase was announced. Apparently you missed this quote 'Vail Resorts acquired the stock of the companies that operate Northstar-at-Tahoe from Booth Creek Resort Properties LLC and other sellers for total consideration of $63 million." Key word there being "operate", not "own".

Now off the whole argumentative side of me, and on to the more informative side, I have been told many improvements are planned, and it was within the terms of purchase that more profits would be put into increasing year round revenue and preparing for competition from other resorts in the Tahoe basin. Which is code for there gonna do some more stuff for the summertime! Don't know what yet but know its in the contract.
    Email I got from them:

Dear Michael,
    Thank you for your email. I'd like to clear up some misconceptions regarding your reference that we "cater to the very high end" which is very much incorrect, even at Vail. We operate the resorts of Keystone, Breckenridge and Heavenly as well and the demographics of our visitors there are all very different. I think that one of the reasons why our resorts are so popular in terms of skier visits is that we cater to as wide an audience as possible. I think you will also find that we invest a lot in our mountain biking programs and terrain at our other resorts, particularly Keystone, Breckenridge and Beaver Creek. We have no current plans to change anything at Northstar. Also, we have backed/sponsored a bill in Congress that we're trying to push through to allow for more summer activities on our mountains, including mountain biking, which is currently not addressed in legislation. We place a big emphasis on our summer business across our resorts.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Sincerely,
    Kelly

Kelly Ladyga
    Vice President of Corporate Communications
    Vail Resorts Management Company

Oh and I think you are splitting hairs over what is "Northstar". They bought whatever is on the land, and without chairlifts, buildings, and equipment it's just land; not "Northstar".
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Wuss extraordinare
    Splitting hairs yes. I just don't like it when it is alluded to that I'm lacking in intelligence and don't know what I speak of. I do really like the letter you got though. Goes along with what I am hearing from CNL.

mtbr member
    This is what the Northstar website says:

"Northstar® and Northstar-at-Tahoe™ are trademarks owned by Trimont Land Company, the owner and operator of the Northstar-at-Tahoe™ resort."

When Vail Resorts acquired the stock of the companies that operate Northstar-at-Tahoe from Booth Creek Resort Properties LLC, that likely came with the trademarks and Vail became the owner and operator of Northstar.

Just as if I own a store on rented property. Even though the property is rented, I still own the store.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

killin clear creek
    In regards to the discussion about "what exactly" they own, think about this.

In CO, the turd of a company that is vail resorts owns a number of resorts, but I don't believe they own the land at ANY of them. All are USFS as far as I know. (99 year lease or similar)

That said, the turd of a company that is Vail resorts "owns" N* just as much as they "own" vail, beav, skistoned, breck...

OH, and you lucky guys that ride there... you're about to witness the AMAZING dedication that the turd of a company that is Vail resorts gives to mountain biking.... enjoy.

Yeah, I work in Scummit & I drive to WP to ride also.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Moose Member
    so it sounds like squaw had better be good next year, because northstar wont...

Wuss extraordinare
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay

"Northstar® and Northstar-at-Tahoe™ are trademarks owned by Trimont Land Company, the owner and operator of the Northstar-at-Tahoe™ resort."

When Vail Resorts acquired the stock of the companies that operate Northstar-at-Tahoe from Booth Creek Resort Properties LLC, that likely came with the trademarks and Vail became the owner and operator of Northstar.

Just as if I own a store on rented property. Even though the property is rented, I still own the store.
    I stand corrected.

Now with flavor!!
    I stand corrected.

So what exactly did you think I meant?

There's business and then there's property to conduct it on. If I rent out a storefront, my landlord doesn't OWN my business.

Know what I mean?

Vail Resorts now owns northstar. Not the land, not the property......the business that is northstar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    The old runs at northstar got much better this year, gypsy, livewire, stix and such all became really nice runs. I was really dissapointed that some of the fun stuff was missing, like the log drops, the skills park at the end of phodog (the old teeter totters and such) and the wallrides.

Is it just me or do some of you also feel that northstar has a solid bike park, fun with some very technical runs, but theres nothign"huge" at Northstar? i mean yea, boondocks has a nice 6' drop, but wheres the massive jumps (besides the jump park) for more Slopestyle esque riding? Wheres the super air time runs like A-Line and the new Fade to Black?

I hope this means a lot of money will be put into the bike park. Im getting one season pass next year, will it be Squaw or Northstar?

Two side questions....

1. How big is the GLC drop?

2. Didn't Squaw mention something about a run "better than A-Line?"
    N* doesn't seem to me that it has that trail where you get a lump in your throat before leaving the gate. Nearly EVERY trail at Whistler made me feel that way, esp the 2 runs I did off the Garbonzo chair. You are looking straight down the steep chutes there.
    N* needs something like that to keep you young, read: 'stupid' kids interested. Me too for that matter.

The GLC is pretty big although not the Scariest drop I did there. I was hitting about the 8' mark as far as vert, a little faster and its a good 10ft'er. But its fast with a nice tranny, a few others in the 6-7' range were done at slow speeds and I thought they were more difficult.

The drop on boondocks only feels like its 5' even if it is 6+. Its very smooth. M\

My favorite drop is(was) under the charilift at Tamarack. 7' into an immediate turn. Good fun. Tamarack went belly up and have no DHing there anymore. its a shame because it had a lot to offer.
    I mention this because I think we are VERY lucky to have N* here. I guarantee they are not as profitable in the summer as they are in the winter- asuming good snow pack.
    Its all about money with big business and if we don't patron these big resorts, we'll be pushing our bikes uphill a lot more often. Buy those season passes and lift tickets!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHFRconvert
    N* doesn't seem to me that it has that trail where you get a lump in your throat before leaving the gate. Nearly EVERY trail at Whistler made me feel that way, esp the 2 runs I did off the Garbonzo chair. You are looking straight down the steep chutes there.
    N* needs something like that to keep you young, read: 'stupid' kids interested. Me too for that matter.

The GLC is pretty big although not the Scariest drop I did there. I was hitting about the 8' mark as far as vert, a little faster and its a good 10ft'er. But its fast with a nice tranny, a few others in the 6-7' range were done at slow speeds and I thought they were more difficult.

The drop on boondocks only feels like its 5' even if it is 6+. Its very smooth. M\

My favorite drop is(was) under the charilift at Tamarack. 7' into an immediate turn. Good fun. Tamarack went belly up and have no DHing there anymore. its a shame because it had a lot to offer.
    I mention this because I think we are VERY lucky to have N* here. I guarantee they are not as profitable in the summer as they are in the winter- asuming good snow pack.
    Its all about money with big business and if we don't patron these big resorts, we'll be pushing our bikes uphill a lot more often. Buy those season passes and lift tickets!
    GLC drop is about 3 feet....it just you have to carry speed to clear rocks. I have seen people roll it this year

Boondocks: Where is the 6 foot drop??? The one landing on pavers is only 4 at most (kids don't count where you land because if you hit a one foot drop with speed, you coulkd land 30 feet down...that doesn't make you a person hitting thirty foot drops

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    GLC drop is about 3 feet....it just you have to carry speed to clear rocks. I have seen people roll it this year

Boondocks: Where is the 6 foot drop??? The one landing on pavers is only 4 at most (kids don't count where you land because if you hit a one foot drop with speed, you coulkd land 30 feet down...that doesn't make you a person hitting thirty foot drops
    Uhm...

This looks bigger than 3'
    Northstar Bought by Vail Resorts-glc-drop-.jpg

And for the drop on Boondocks, i walked up to it (im 6' tall) and the top of my helmet was barely taller the the top of the drop, so if it's not 6' its a close 5'10 5'11. I will admit it feels like 4' though because its so fast and smooth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you dropped the GLC at 3-4' someone would hit you from behind. I'm not a particularly fast rider/ and I was landing about 3-4' past where the wood ramp ends. You can definately go bigger. Either way, if N* has something that big, I haven't seen it. If there is do tell!

Glad to Be Alive
    Uhm...

This looks bigger than 3'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLC DROP!.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	576772

And for the drop on Boondocks, i walked up to it (im 6' tall) and the top of my helmet was barely taller the the top of the drop, so if it's not 6' its a close 5'10 5'11. I will admit it feels like 4' though because its so fast and smooth.

still looks about three foot to me...but I will give you four and nothing more

Proud lame eBiker
    Well they did have a large points series race which brought in some big names and lots of participation......which equals bottom line numbers that a lot of places didn't do.

Of course they completely removed the infrastructure put in place for the event that would have left a long term positive impact on the park..............

Sorry `woo, I think you misunderstood me. I was remarking on the fellows enthusiasm for Sqauw, and that their offerings were not nearly up to any standard. And yes, I understand it was their first year moving dirt. They should have had $20 lift passes, which they didn't.

Oh, andI guess I'm assuming that by saying "I know what I'm saving up for this winter" he was referring to a Season PAss at Squaw, but maybe that's just me stretching my brain too much. Maybe he meant a DH bike...or a N* pass...

Screw it...I'm going riding. Bye.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    still looks about three foot to me...but I will give you four and nothing more
    The rock face is only 4' at best, back wheel is landing at around 6' when at medium speed.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay

N* is mostly private land. USFS land does not start until the Lookout side of the ridge. Here's how I understand it. Trimont Land Management (Georgia Pacific) owns the land and N* leases it from them. Look at the logo. Fold up the star and it's a box. Which is what Georgia Pacific makes; cardboard boxes.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    so it sounds like squaw had better be good next year, because northstar wont...
    Because Squaw will be world class over night . Get real that mountain won't be good for at least five years. As one of the driving forces behind Northstar for 15 years now I think I'll take anything over Boothcreek and/or East-West Partners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=backcountryislife
    OH, and you lucky guys that ride there... you're about to witness the AMAZING dedication that the turd of a company that is Vail resorts gives to mountain biking.... enjoy.[/QUOTE]
    I wish that you are not being sarcastic but I can hear it in your typing. The loss of Tamarack was hard enough, seeing weeds and rocks taking over the once-groomed trails.
    This is why in my prev comment I tried to make tha point that we as the riders need to keep summer riding profitable for the 'turd' parent companies, or we'll be pushin'.

Members who have read this thread: 0