Northstar @ Tahoe 7.9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Northstar @ Tahoe 7.9

I'm going to be in Tahoe in the summer finally to get my pent up DH out of my system. I typically ride with a friend who seems to be no where to be found. Is there anyone up there (group or single rider) that's willing to let 1 more person tag along? I know how loanerish this sounds, BUT I hate the idea of riding alone when hitting aggressive DH.

Moose Member
    I would but I'm in Utah. Sorry. Have fun though, northstar is a blast.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Is upper mountain open on the 9th? If not, not worth doing.

Moose Member
    Zephyr was open this weekend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Zephyr was open this weekend...
    True, but basically every run is closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian HCM#1 View Post
    True, but basically every run is closed.
    Boondocks opened yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There are going to be plenty of people up there who wouldn't mind riding with someone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a feeling that with each passing week, more and more trails will gradually be open. That being said, next weekend seems pretty promising. The heat is here for sure so the melt off should come pretty quick.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I've only been to N* for 6 days last year, but I don't think you will have any problems meeting up with people to ride with on the mtn. Have a blast!

We need more wax
    Upper mountain partially open. Yes, Boodocks, some of Livewire (zones 1, 4 & 5) and everything on the Vista side below Triumph. Definitely worth it. I got 10 or 11 runs in during my 4 hour session. More should be open for this coming weekend.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I want to know where that wooden feature they were putting up went? I talked with the trail crew they said they GOT CAUGHT! The Boss man saw the wooden feature and is an XC rider and said NO BIG wooden features are to be put on the MTN. It looked awsome sender drop it was underneath the lift in the back of a truck and then it disappeared! Does anyone know if it went on the MTN.?? And where is it???

brake later, pedal sooner
    I'll be there this weekend. I'm going to be doing the boondocks race but other than that I'll be rippin apart the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll be up there on Saturday solo as well. My riding partner had something come up at the last minute and cant go.. Let me know if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, you will meet plenty of people on the lift. There are lots of people on the trails too so even if you ride alone, somebody will be by like 5 seconds after you crash to peel you off the ground.

V-Shaped Rut
    BTW-It rained yesterday, got the pollen off of everything and I'm sure un-dustified the trails a bit. Should be a blast this weekend, wish I wasn't going to hell (Vegas) or I'd be up there.

mtbr member
    So what's the latest? Did anything else open up? Thinking of making the trek from L.A. for the weekend and avoiding CARMAGEDDON!
    Whaddaya reckon.... worth the drive?

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Gypsy opened Friday. Boondocks is open. Livewire only partly open. Lower Vista trails open, you must traverse on Tryumph to get to the lower Vista trails.

C'mon Northstar, open Livewire and Vista already!

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by COLIN M View Post
    I want to know where that wooden feature they were putting up went? I talked with the trail crew they said they GOT CAUGHT! The Boss man saw the wooden feature and is an XC rider and said NO BIG wooden features are to be put on the MTN. It looked awsome sender drop it was underneath the lift in the back of a truck and then it disappeared! Does anyone know if it went on the MTN.?? And where is it???

I'm interested too. That thing looked smooth and fun. would be awesome and fun on any trail.

mtbr member
    "C'mon Northstar, open Livewire and Vista already!"

Do you think that'll happen by the weekend?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Copied from N* site

Trail Opening Update 7/8/11
    Posted by Northstar Bike Patrol on July 8, 2011 at 8:35pm
    View Northstar Bike Patrol's blog
    This last week's weather has been a mix of just about everything, a fair amount of sunshine, some rain, a little bit of hail, and a touch of lightning. This diverse weather had brought a rapid snow melt, and we have been able to open some new trails for the weekend.

Boondocks:
    -Open top to bottom, this will be the course for DH #1 on 7/9
    Gypsy:
    -Open top to bottom, the trail crew was able to give it a good rake, so it should ride well this weekend
    Livewire:
    -Zones 1-5 open, 6-7 closed for rebuild
    Vista Trails:
    -All Vista trails are open below Tryumph, upper trails closed due to snow

Looking forward, we are hoping to have the Vista lift turning for bikers and hikers on July 15th. Everything is melting fast and we should be good to go by the 15th. Hope to see you guys this weekend.
    -Bike Patrol

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Worth the drive, but you might get bored over a weekend if they don't open Vista or Livewire. Not sure what the "rebuilding Livewire" status means. What needs to be rebuilt? Maybe the tunnel crossing, I saw them working on it while riding Gypsy.

mtbr member
    If you don't find anybody, don't let the lack of riding buddies stop you. Just ride. Northstar has plenty of people to watch out and call it in if something happens. It is good to ride with buddies that have similar idea of speed and terrain but still get same rush riding solo. Riding is really an individual thing

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy View Post
    Worth the drive, but you might get bored over a weekend if they don't open Vista or Livewire. Not sure what the "rebuilding Livewire" status means. What needs to be rebuilt? Maybe the tunnel crossing, I saw them working on it while riding Gypsy.
    it says they have zones 6-7 closed, which im guessing is the bottom two. If they are anything like the end of last year they should be fine, but some jump rebuilding and smoothing would really make it even more fun. im sure what they are doing will just make it better and more fun down the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I went on July 1st and 2nd and would go back again. It has alot more open trails then Mammoth and had a great time riding what was open. We will be possibly going back in the next few weeks to hopefully ride everything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i will be in Tahoe City this weekend for my wife's family reunion. oh joy.... so, since i'm a dick and don't really give a crap about hanging out with all of the in-laws, even if they are obscenely rich (8-10K foot house on the lake. this is their third home...), i'm going to hit up northstar for at least one day, 15-17th.

so, anything i should specifically hit? what is their flowy, jump trail?

pv

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    i will be in Tahoe City this weekend for my wife's family reunion. oh joy.... so, since i'm a dick and don't really give a crap about hanging out with all of the in-laws, even if they are obscenely rich (8-10K foot house on the lake. this is their third home...), i'm going to hit up northstar for at least one day, 15-17th.

so, anything i should specifically hit? what is their flowy, jump trail?

pv
    hit everything, livewire is flowy and jumpy.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    If your inlaws have a lake house, don't get TOO distant from them! Think long-term!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks

yeah they are alright but they are my wife's aunt and uncle and have 4 kids of their own. i'm a loooooog way down that list. but yeah, i'll hang out when invited for sure. place is super nice! plus i'm not one to count on someone else for my good fortune. i try to make my own...