North Shore mountain in jeopardy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

North Shore mountain in jeopardy

Councillor Proposes to make Fromme Hiking only:
    http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/crist_02_04.php

"We need as many different people to contact the Mayor and Council directly in
    the form of a written letter ( can be attached to email)
    [email protected] <mailto:mailto:[email protected]>
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    This letter should include the following points;
    1. We appreciate the hard work put in by District staff to consult the public
    regarding this Park.
    2. The Staff proposal was well thought out in that it suggested the most viable
    option that resulted from discussions with the public on July 24th and comments
    on the initial proposed solution of the option between two different trails on
    Oct. 29th. One Multi-use trail or two trails, one for hikers and dog walkers,
    one for bikes.
    3. 100 Park users attended these meetings.
    4. All agreed that the pond should be protected and a well defined trail built
    to protect the sensitive areas.
    5. The time frame for this solution is incredably long, for such a small area,
    where the obvious solution would be easy to implement fewer resources should
    have been committed to this task.
    6. This is an important access point for all users to Mt. Fromme. The sooner the
    trail is built the sooner the area will be protected.
    7. Once this area has been resolved the larger task of addressing the Alpine
    Recreational Area can begin.

Thank you for your support and we hope you can find time to write a letter to
    the DNV.

NSMBA"

mtbr member

Council meeting monday night...

The report will be brought up as item #10 on the District of North Vancouver council meeting agenda. Apparently, Ernie Crist (councillor who put through the motion) is a bit of a nut case, but that won't stop him from trying to ban biking on Mt. Fromme.

Check out the DNV website at:
    www.dnv.org

Links to the meeting agenda and Ernie's reports can be found there.

Please write well written letters and show up for the council meeting at 7pm this monday night (Mar 1st).
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Just roll it......

If you plan to write.....make them well-written letters.

In all honesty, people writing letters saying stuff like: "hikers don't know what they're talking about." or "we should be able to park anywhere we want near Fromme." will probably do more harm than good...so be as eloquent as possible.

If you're in the area and can make Monday night's meeting to show your support for the trails, that'd be best. If you're not in the area, it would be great if you included in your letter that you visit Vancouver because it's a mt. biking destination known worldwide and that many local businesses in Vancouver, and North Van in particular, benefit due to the presence of these trail systems.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Awesome guys, thanks for the posts. Knolly, I see you support local access! Have to keep that in mind when looking for a new bike...

mtbr member

Local access

Ya, I used to be very involved with the NSMBA (North Shore Mountain Biking Association) back when it was formed in 1998 and in 1999 (was a director in 1999). However, life changes, injuries happen, yadda, yadda, yadda, (not to mention Knolly Bikes) and I've been away from that scene for the most part (occaisonal letters to municiple councillors and such). Any, I'm hoping to get back a LITTLE bit into it. Time is tight, but loosing local trails, is not so good (plus it makes R&D more expensive!)

This motion will (hopefully) be put down easily, but the councillor driving it is apparently (at least from our pro-MTB perspective) a bit of a nut case.

Why can't we all get along?
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Unfortunately, Ina & I have an event on Monday evening we have already bought and paid for, otherwise we would both be at the meeting.

My wife Ina did write up a great letter as per Sharon's request. I've attached it here for your interest.

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2004 February 27

RE: MOUNTAIN VIEW PARK STUDY

Dear Mr. Mayor and City Councillors:

We are writing to express our concern over the lack of resolution of the issue of Mountain View Park in North Vancouver.

We appreciate the hard work put in by North Vancouver District staff to consult the public regarding this Park. Public parks belong to everyone, not just the neighbourhood they are located within. Whether we are residents of North Vancouver or other communities, tourists or athletes in training, we all need to work together to come up with solutions that will work best for all of us and ensure the integrity of the ecosystem is maintained.

The Staff proposal was well thought out. It suggested the most viable option that resulted from discussions with the public (July 24th meeting) and comments on the initial proposed solution of the option between two different trails (Oct. 29th meeting). The proposed option included one multi-use trail or two trails - one for hikers and dog walkers, one for bikes.

Over 100 Park users attended these meetings and we all agreed that the pond should be protected and a well defined trail built to protect the sensitive areas. As park users, we fully support protecting the environment in such a way that all users can enjoy the beauty of our natural surroundings for years to come.

For such a small area, the time frame for this solution has been incredibly long. The proposed options mentioned above would be easy to implement. Fewer resources should have been committed to this task.

This is an important access point for all users to Mt. Fromme. The sooner the trail is built the sooner the area will be protected. Once this area has been resolved the larger task of reviewing the Complete Alpine Recreational Area can be addressed.

As avid mountain bikers ourselves, we have enjoyed having access to the trails on Mt. Fromme for many years. Although we live in Vancouver, we visit the North Shore an average of one to two times per week throughout the year to mountain bike (and to hike as well). We have always enjoyed ourselves and have never encountered any issues with other users of the park (or any other park in B.C. for that matter). In fact, the true seems opposite whether they are hikers, dog walkers, trail runners or other mountain bikers, other park users usually share a friendly smile or word.

My husband and I hope to live in North Vancouver in the future, and a big part of that decision is to be closer to the recreational opportunities available to us on the North Shore.

We look forward to the resolution that continues to keep this park and other areas open to all users, and ensures the ecosystem is managed appropriately.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ina & Craig Hunt

(contact info snipped)

Also, see this thread over on Passion for more examples of letters.

mtbr member

Just got back from this meeting...

It was very cool to see who turned out form the local mountain biking word: tons of shop owners, high profile local and international riders and many industry people. Dan Cowan, Leslie Tomlinson, and Alison Sydor all addressed the council, along with many other "regular riders". Ken Neave (posts here as K'endo) is very active in the NSMBA and also addressed the council. Many thanks to Sharon Bader of the www.NSMBA.com for getting the word out - one of the media people said that he had NEVER seen so many people at a council meeting before.

Anyway, there were easily 200+ mountain bikers at the council meeting. The councillors quick realized that the evening would work best if the mountain biking topic (which was scheduled as item 10) was pushed all the way up to item #2. This was mainly due to the overflowing beyond capacity council room, and that the council would be way better served by getting this particular action over and done with.

I have to say that the mountain bikers for the most part came off exceptionally well spoken and even those who were a little shaky in front of the mike presented themselves directly and in a totally appropriate manner.

Also, most all of the council was fairly level headed (politicians!?) and were generally very fair (in some cases, down right generous) in how they treated the large crowd of mountain bikers at the council meeting. In one case, one of the councillors actually appologized in saying that the DNV (district of North Vancouver) had actually done the mountain biking population a dis-service by releasing an action that was worded poorly and was in all effect confrontational.

I think also that it was pretty cool to see all these people who were passionate about their sport represent themselves so well. I'm also sure, that a lot of them got to see something of their local government that they (and myself included) would never give two seconds of though about. Over all I was quite impressed at how Mayor Bell chaired the council meeting; he also addressed the crowd and set down some ground rules (wisely knowning that most of the crowd were total council meeting newbies) at the start and a few times during the meeting in a very profession and non-condesending fasion.

Cam McCrae was there, so I'm sure there will be a write up on NSMB.com in the next few days for those of you who are interested.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

I just got goth served!

Knolly, Thanks!

I've been wondering about this all day. Did any resolution come out of the meeting? Glad to see such a turn out.

A big thanks to everyone that was there.

brian

Jan 2004
    i dont know about resolution, but it sure seems a point was made.

if nothing else, it shows mr. crist that we wont go down without a fight.

from what i've read about the meeting (i couldnt be there), i'm pretty proud to consider myself part of the mtb community right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was a good showing, that's for sure. There was no outcome to be had at this meeting. It was more a show of presence, and we were well accepted. The council is in favour of a solution that benifits all. It seems Councillor Crist was the only one who was against it, and he doesn't get much respect from the other councillors or the mayor. This is good. They do have some serious issues to resolve though.

Thanks for the report Noel, I wish we could have been there.

I'm glad to see the result of the meeting appears to be good.

Dazed and Confused

We should send a thank you note to Crist.

Quote Originally Posted by [color=black
    CraigH[/color]]I'm glad to see the result of the meeting appears to be good.
    It was an excellent opportunity to show the NVD council the broad base of support mountain biking has in the community. None of this would have been possible without Crist, ahem, facilitating the massive turn-out.

Council was very receptive. It was particularly pleasing that Crist's motion was not even seconded. Boy, did his tactics backfire.
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

LOL! I hadn't heard that about his motion.

mtbr member

Council report up on www.NSMB.com

OK, I should be in bed, but I noticed that this just popped up on www.nsmb.com. It gives a nice write up of the evening's events.

http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/crist2_03_04.php

One interesting point is that the picture that shows the coucil room full of people probably shows about one quarter of the actual number of people there. You can see the knees of my beige pants just a bit to the right and below the "nose" on the large face on the left of the picture :)
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whoa, I just got done watching the entire council meeting. I'm very impressed as to how mountain bikers presented themselves, great job guys, everyone who spoke were very professional in matter and content. Also I noticed that MTBers did not point fingers as that lady did. Whoa, I'm just impressed, there is no way that many people would show up for something like that down where I am. The more organized we appear , the more trails we can keep. Great job guys, hope I can ride those trails some day. Keep up the good work!!!
    L8R
    Buck