Norco Shore with 5 Element- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Norco Shore with 5 Element

Hey there
    I an thinking of bying a 2004 Norco Shore.
    I am abit concern about climbing up hill with it, coase I don't have chair lifts in my cycling area.

Does any one can supply me with some reviews and will it help changing the rear shock from the Vanilla RC Propedal to the 5 Element shock.

Thanks, Erez

mtbr member

shock

check out pushindustries.com for a shoick upgrade or if you're set on the 5th element just check out the application chart on progressivesuspension.com
    ARGUING ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE COMPETING IN THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS, YOU MIGHT WIN....BUT YOU'RE STILL RETARDED

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently spoke to one of the Norco guys about this very subject. I asked them why the don't offer an SPV shock on the Shore frames and also if one could be installed. He told me that yes, they will fit on the 04 frame. They did extensive testing with the 5th Element when they developed the new frame, and suffered many shock failures. Not just blown shocks, but catastophic failures. He said the Propedal Fox does a very good job at cancelling out what very little bob the frame design has. His statement to me was "We can put any shock we want on this bike, there is very little difference in cost to the manufacturer between shocks. The Fox Propedal is the best match for the Shore frame that we found.

They are also currently testing the Push Industries shock upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Catastophic failures?

You are posting erroneous information. Norco found when testing that because of their frame design our 5th Element shock reservoirs would hit their frame. They liked the 5th Element shock so much they redesigned their 04 frames so the shock would fit. Their team guys are using the 5th Element. Jim Jamieson, Norco's Bicycle Division Product Manager, was dumfounded to hear of your comments and stated to me that they were not Norco's views. I forwarded your posting to him for his comments.

Larry Langley/Progressive

mtbr member
    Hi Larry,

I have noticed that you have been posting more frequently clarifying situations, as well as providing technical advice.

I just want to take the opportunity to say that as a consumer I do appreciate it when a company like Progressive is willing to take the time, listen to what we have to say, and actually respond to us directly instead of just through a vendor.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

(not sucking up, just giving kudo's where deserved)

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by suspensionguy
    You are posting erroneous information. Norco found when testing that because of their frame design our 5th Element shock reservoirs would hit their frame. They liked the 5th Element shock so much they redesigned their 04 frames so the shock would fit. Their team guys are using the 5th Element. Jim Jamieson, Norco's Bicycle Division Product Manager, was dumfounded to hear of your comments and stated to me that they were not Norco's views. I forwarded your posting to him for his comments.

There's no app for this.

What suspensionguy sez and

there are 5th Elements all over the 'shore on all kinds of bikes. Failure isn't an issue, and I can't wait for my new Knolly Vtach with a 5th Element, rides like a dream and covers all of my mistakes.

Added bonus: in the event of a failure, you can get it fixed in 1 day in Vancouver; that to me is outstanding service.

Just my .02, Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Posting

[Hey TJ, thanks, your comments are most appreciated. I work for a company that does take customer service seriously and I have a boss who has given me time to be able to monitor and post on the boards.

Heading for Infineon Wed, if you are heading there or Big Bear, be sure to stop by our box van for a famous Larry's soft chicken taco and a cold Hansen's.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am quoting as close to word for word conversation as I can remember from a face to face conversation with a Norco rep. There where actually 2 reps there, both of them were giving input to the conversation. The bike shop was Blak Dog bikes in Coquitlam BC and the conversation took place on May 4th at approximately 3:00 pm. One of the reps was a big guy with longish dark hair and a moustache, I've seen him at Norco's booth at various events. The other guy was the one who gave me the info on the 5th Element, I've never seen him before but I asked him if he worked for Norco and he said yes. I wish I would have gotten their names, maybe they could back up their statements. He did say yes, they were using it on their DH frame because it was a great shock for DH racing, but not for their big hit/freeride line.

As for me posting erroneous information, as I said, that's about as close to word for word as I can remember. He specifically stated "catastrophic failure". Take it up with Norco. It was sure the views of the people that were speaking to me.

mtbr member
    If you do delivery then I will take one of each. Vancouver BC is not too far out of the way right ;-)

[Hey TJ, thanks, your comments are most appreciated. I work for a company that does take customer service seriously and I have a boss who has given me time to be able to monitor and post on the boards.

Heading for Infineon Wed, if you are heading there or Big Bear, be sure to stop by our box van for a famous Larry's soft chicken taco and a cold Hansen's.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Norco

Thanks for the feedback Dave. The problem with posting hearsay information is that it may or may not be accurate. We do not believe what he said to you was accurate and neither does Jim at Norco and they are looking into it. I believe what happened was that they found the reservoir did hit the frame and will indeed cause damage to the shock. That's why they redsigned the frame. But I know we had no "major" failures of the shock on the Norcos. The fact that Norco is building their bike so the 5th Element shock fits and that their team guys are running it (and are very happy with it0 speaks for itself.

The internet is a wonderful thing because it can distribute information instantly. The internet is a horrible thing because it can distribute information instantly.

Please believe me when I say I am not trying to stifle bad things said about our product. But I have to jump in when I see something not right. And I know you thought you were posting what someone from Norco said. I will forward on your latest comments to Jim at Norco for his use.

thanks

Larry

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Idea! Norco shore and the 5th

I ran a 5th on my shore and worked like a charm. The problem with the 5th and the shore is that if you took a large hit and it would haft to completely go through all of the stroke to do this. The canister would hit the frame. I got a .5 stroke larger that the shore called for and had no problems at all. The shock worked like a charm on it and made going up hill alot easer. I think is what they were talking about. Hope this helps and Progressive is a first class company thats stands behind there product if you have a problem. Problem with blowing shocks out is if your shock is not sprung correct and you blow through all your stroke on a big hit something got to go. Either the frame or the shock. Just my .02 cents on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well Larry, thanks for your reply. To his credit he did say the 5th would fit the 04 frames (I believe I stated that in my original post). I don't consider it "hearsay" when I was speaking directly to a Norco rep. I know it was a Norco rep as I said "Do you work for Norco?" He replied "Yes, I do." I didn't think to question his credentials any further.

It sounds to me like he was coming up with a BS excuse when I questioned why the Shore series didn't come with an SPV shock. It also sounds like he will be answering for his statements when his boss finds out who he is.

You don't have to prove your product to me, I run one on my Bullit think it's fantastic, and the local service facility has some of the best customer service I've ever come across. Good for you for defending your product against untrue information, I hope you can see I was just relaying information that I had every reason to believe was true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

feedback

Dave, I appreciate your comments and I totally understand what went on. Things like this drive us nuts. I forwarded your comments on to Jim @ Norco and he can do what he wants with it. We have a good relationship with them and will continue that for sure.

thanks for the feedback

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This whole conversation is unfortunate, I was hoping for a good deal on a new frame from the Norco guys, but I guess I can kiss that goodbye!

Your quote sums it up best
    The internet is a wonderful thing because it can distribute information instantly. The internet is a horrible thing because it can distribute information instantly.
    Last edited by davet; 05-10-2004 at 11:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I think this thread may confuse some readers, so to further clarify:

2004 Norco TeamRace frame was redesigned and come spec'd with a fifth element coil shock. It was redesigned for several reasons, and one of them was to accomodate the 5th.

2004 Shore (the topic of the original poster) and Team Shore frames are spec'd with Fox RC's and have not been redesigned to accomodate the 5th element coil shock

So to say that 2004 Norco's were redesigned for the 5th may be a bit misleading....

I've got a 2003 Shore, and would like to hear more feedback on Norco's testing of the PushIndustry's upgade if anyone can post it.

One more rumour to toss in the mix - I heard from the rep "Pat" that the VPS frames were getting a major change for 2005....my guess is that the front triangle will change to accomodate more types of shocks...

Mike

mtbr member

Link Hijacking....

Sorry to hijack the topic, but it is for a worthy cause....

Mike, you wanna come to Whistler on Sat?

TJ

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by islander
    I think this thread may confuse some readers, so to further clarify:

2004 Norco TeamRace frame was redesigned and come spec'd with a fifth element coil shock. It was redesigned for several reasons, and one of them was to accomodate the 5th.

2004 Shore (the topic of the original poster) and Team Shore frames are spec'd with Fox RC's and have not been redesigned to accomodate the 5th element coil shock

So to say that 2004 Norco's were redesigned for the 5th may be a bit misleading....

I've got a 2003 Shore, and would like to hear more feedback on Norco's testing of the PushIndustry's upgade if anyone can post it.

One more rumour to toss in the mix - I heard from the rep "Pat" that the VPS frames were getting a major change for 2005....my guess is that the front triangle will change to accomodate more types of shocks...

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islander

Mike
    Actually he (the Norco rep) said the 04 was modified to accept the 5th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Sorry to hijack the topic, but it is for a worthy cause....

Mike, you wanna come to Whistler on Sat?

TJ

;-)
    NoCanDo, but wish I could be there with ya, especially if the weather is like today. New home and work have me swamped.......