Norco Fluid SL...possible to make into Freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Norco Fluid SL...possible to make into Freeride?

I recently bought a 2011 Norco Fluid SL and love it. It's light and still has 6" front travel w/ 5.75" rear but I'd like to increase that. My rear suspension has what I've been reading as Variable Position Suspension. It's currently linked to the back position (towards the rear tire) so if I wanted to increase the rear suspension, using the RP23 shock, can I move the link forward? Next question is since it's not specifically designed for Freeride, will my frame be able to take the big hits? Up front I currently have a Fox 32 Float RLC Fit and I would like to upgrade to the Fox 36 Talas 180 Fit RC2 so I'm not too worried about the geometry.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Going from a Fox 32 at 150 to a 36 at 180 would be a HUGE difference and would not be an upgrade. It would increase your axle to crown by 30mm for the travel plus another 15mm because of the bigger chassis. Your front end would wander, your bottom bracket would be uncomfortably high, and your suspension would be unbalanced.

The fluid is not marketed or designed as a big-hit freeride machine. Keep it how it is. Ride it. Fast. Go on some trail/enduro rides and get in shape. Once you can pedal everywhere, its amazing how fast you can go and how great a rush you get where other people are just picking their way through.
    Go ride your bike.

brake later, pedal sooner
    I had a Cannondale Moto for my first mountain bike. I didn't understand MTB terminology and thought all-mountain could do everything. I beefed it up coil suspension, Totem fork, etc... I cracked the frame on the downtube after 3 months of riding on it.

All my bikes have been FR or DH since then and no problems.

like sambs827 said, keep it how it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Going from a Fox 32 at 150 to a 36 at 180 would be a HUGE difference and would not be an upgrade. It would increase your axle to crown by 30mm for the travel plus another 15mm because of the bigger chassis. Your front end would wander, your bottom bracket would be uncomfortably high, and your suspension would be unbalanced.

The fluid is not marketed or designed as a big-hit freeride machine. Keep it how it is. Ride it. Fast. Go on some trail/enduro rides and get in shape. Once you can pedal everywhere, its amazing how fast you can go and how great a rush you get where other people are just picking their way through.
    Thanks for the heads up. I ride fast already on the downhills but I'm out of shape for the uphills. If I plan any lift access trails I'll just rent. This bike did great at Downieville a couple weekends ago. I'd still like to upgrade the fork though to something slightly stronger before Spring when I hope to compete.