Norco Aurum HSP vs Commencal Supreme- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Norco Aurum HSP vs Commencal Supreme

Both in a 29'er.
    I ride a 27.5 Jedi now which is also a high pivot bike.. I'm not necessarily completely sold on high pivot bikes but while my Enduro rig is horst link, its been a long time since I rode a non-HSP dh bike, and i've been somewhat influenced by Paul Aston (Pinkbike) gushing over them.

Between these two the Norco is significantly lighter, North American (easier to service ?) and imo looks better. But also carbon so more likely to be damaged. The Commencal is of course cheaper and sounds like it might have a little better ride/kinematics although pretty close.

Anyone spend time on either/both of these rigs ? I know it comes down to personal preference just looking for some kind of tie breaker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I own and love the commencal DH 4.2, I get 30+ days a year on it and I am sold on the High Pivot design, and everyone I've let ride it agrees, it's like being glued to the roughest trails (in a very plush, fluid, good way). Pink Bike pretty much said the Commencal was superior the the Aurum HSP in their review of the Aurum (and recent World Cup Podiums finishers might agree). Also, you just can't beat the part spec on the commencal (and for DH, the Alu frame is great..even for the best riders in the world).

I like the High Pivot designs so much that I'm saving my money to buy the Forbidden Druid sight unseen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks I appreciate the input. As you could probably tell I was leaning towards the Norco but you make some good points. And after a few decades of reading between the lines of bike reviews, I think you're correct that Paul definitely gave the edge to the Supreme.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    ...I like the High Pivot designs so much that I'm saving my money to buy the Forbidden Druid sight unseen.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a '15 Kona Operator, friend just bought a Commencal Supreme. His bike is SO fast! I would highly recommend one. Just make sure to bring 2 spare chains as 1 chain isn't quite enough.

What I noticed most is that is carries speed very well. Where my bike will feel like a pig in the flats, his just flies. Very impressive.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    why are you moving on from the Jedi?

Just curious I ride a Jedi as well and have been looking at the Norco as well as the commercial too

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    why are you moving on from the Jedi?

Just curious I ride a Jedi as well and have been looking at the Norco as well as the commercial too

After riding some of the newer geo bikes I've realized I've been riding dh bikes that were too small for me my whole life. Back in the day we all thought we wanted them small and maneuverable and its taken me a while to get here. My Jedi is a large (445 reach) and its just smaller than I'd like. I've actually been eyeing an XL Jedi (470 reach) in the classifieds that's exactly like mine. Buying it and flipping mine is one plan I have. But I'm also intrigued by a DH 29'er as I much prefer the big wheels on my pedal rigs. I used to think it was tad heavy (9.5 lbs without shock) but the Commencal is 9.2 (Unknown size) so who knows.

I sure would like to hear from some Aurum owners what they like about their bikes. Here are of my thoughts -

Pinkbike seemed to prefer the compliance of the Commencal, and it has won 3 ? world cup races and a title. More robust being aluminum. Kinematics and geo are better, 470 reach, 638 stack.
    Its cheaper, but I'll be buying used so less significant.

The Norco seems to be signifcantly lighter (and yes this matters to me), The reach is only 461 but can be adjusted to 469, but all still only at a 617 stack. Chainstays are a bit short. At first I much preferred the look of the Norco but I've kind of flipped the other way now. Norco would have better service support(?).

Hmm, now that I list it out the choice is more obvious, although the XL Jedi with adding a reach headset sounds good too. I even mocked up a 29" front wheel on it but BB gets pretty high (offset bushings ? Headset cup ?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    After riding some of the newer geo bikes I've realized I've been riding dh bikes that were too small for me my whole life. Back in the day we all thought we wanted them small and maneuverable and its taken me a while to get here. My Jedi is a large (445 reach) and its just smaller than I'd like. I've actually been eyeing an XL Jedi (470 reach) in the classifieds that's exactly like mine. Buying it and flipping mine is one plan I have. But I'm also intrigued by a DH 29'er as I much prefer the big wheels on my pedal rigs. I used to think it was tad heavy (9.5 lbs without shock) but the Commencal is 9.2 (Unknown size) so who knows.

I sure would like to hear from some Aurum owners what they like about their bikes. Here are of my thoughts -

Pinkbike seemed to prefer the compliance of the Commencal, and it has won 3 ? world cup races and a title. More robust being aluminum. Kinematics and geo are better, 470 reach, 638 stack.
    Its cheaper, but I'll be buying used so less significant.

The Norco seems to be signifcantly lighter (and yes this matters to me), The reach is only 461 but can be adjusted to 469, but all still only at a 617 stack. Chainstays are a bit short. At first I much preferred the look of the Norco but I've kind of flipped the other way now. Norco would have better service support(?).

Hmm, now that I list it out the choice is more obvious, although the XL Jedi with adding a reach headset sounds good too. I even mocked up a 29" front wheel on it but BB gets pretty high (offset bushings ? Headset cup ?)
    I heard some guys doing the mullet conversions were running eccentric bottom brackets to get the height where they want it? Don't know never tried it personally, but sounds like it would work.

mtbr member
    I have been on the NORCO HSP 29er since late 2018. I have ridden and raced on many different DH bikes in my 20+ years of racing. Note, before you read any further, know that I do ride for NORCO so I am a little biased to them.

My Build:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/f...cat=Bike+Check

Norco Aurum HSP vs Commencal Supreme-norco-hsp.jpg

I have a 2019 M/L frameset. It is a custom build from the frame up. I am 5'11" with long torso/arms and 180lbs. I am now running a 550lb spring on a custom FOX X2 Coil with a FOX 49 upfront. My build is 36lbs as of now. I don't think I would want a DH bike to be any lighter.

I have to be honest that I really love this bike. It is by far the best DH rig I have built up over the years and I have been lucky to have some badass bikes in the past.

I in no means am able any more to push this bike to its limits. The bike handles anything I can throw at it and makes everything feel like butter under me. I was impressed with the acceleration of the bike in the rock gardens. Most bikes in the past feel like they were being pulled backward and slowed down in rock gardens. This bike speeds up as long as you stay off the brakes. The high pivot allows the rear to soak up everything under it.

As for the sizing, I run the headset in the middle setting most of the time and its perfect for me. I just moved to 29ers for all my bikes just over a year ago and do not have plans to go back. Everyone says 29ers are hard to turn. I think its more like you have to learn how to turn them.
    Once you know-how, they turn just as fast as 26er/27.5er in my book.
    The HSP is long but turns on a dime.

Compared to the Commencal I really can't help you there. Sorry. But have friends on the 27.5 version and they love them. I really don't think you can go wrong at all either way. Good luck.

Note: My 2019 NORCO HSP will be up for sale soon. Only to get another one!
    Ride!

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in.