No more freecaster- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well No more freecaster

Yup, they're no longer covering world cups... major bummer.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    any takers after freecaster?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why what happened?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    figures just like late 90's wrld cup was on...then not on. till freecaster....now no caster.f*^%! and an american is winning.

Glad to Be Alive
    it's a shame but it is all about money and there is not that much to be made....use to be in the late 90's early 2000's a lot of sponsorships and everything....look at the winning Northstar event from last year to this year...a pro won 650 bucks...that saddens me...Heck I would donate 100...sheesh I should be on the phones getting sponsors to lay down more cash
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    it's a shame but it is all about money and there is not that much to be made....use to be in the late 90's early 2000's a lot of sponsorships and everything....look at the winning Northstar event from last year to this year...a pro won 650 bucks...that saddens me...Heck I would donate 100...sheesh I should be on the phones getting sponsors to lay down more cash
    if you still got $100 you're looking to donate, I'm open...

I know it will never happen but it would be so cool for fuel or something to pick up mtb coverage, not just world cups, but slopestyle and slalom and 4x and what not. Kinda how they do motocross. It would help the sport like you wouldn't believe.

They other day I was in a car with some friends, and I started watching follow me on my iPod. It was the opening kamloops section, and sorge busted a backflip. The friend next to me said "oh, he's on a motorbike isn't he?" safe to say he was blown away when I rewinded it and showed him it was a bike. Now he's dying to go to northstar with me.

So many people don't know what the sport is. Getting it on tv would create so much interest and draw in more people, which brings sponsors and money...

It will most likely never happen, but it would be cool.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    Yup, they're no longer covering world cups... major bummer.
    Because the 2011 World Cup is over?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Now with More Wood
    This really does suck. Looks like (once again) a sporting federation fails to understand the sport it governs, and has decided to try and "cash in" on DH now...which is obviously way too early. Much like evidenced in other "extreme" sports, the mainstream federations don't have a clue how to market to this group (see the early days of snowboarding and the mess the FIS made of that). We need a dedicated gravity MTB federation to do it's own thing, and leave the UCI to deal with the spandex crowd and the roadies. I'm sure the big brands could easily come up with enough money to run a better series if they wanted to (check out the new SRAM truck...you think they don't make enough money from the sport to be able to put some more back into it???)

The real shady part of all this is the announcement of the new title sponsor for 2012 onwards. Some outfit called "Rocky Roads Networks" claiming to be Europe's number one "online biking platform" with 200k hits per day (which is obviously a blatant lie). I've yet to ever come across a link to any of its articles anywhere, from any forum, and it's not from lack of looking...and, 200k hits per day and NO ADVERTISEMENT ON THE SITE? What, they are doing it for the fun of it? I think not.

Rocky Roads | Mountain Bike, Cyclo-cross, Trial, Freeride, Downhill, Four Cross, BMX

Yeah really? This sounds like some kind of inside deal to me. UCI buddying up with a new title sponsor, and dropping Freecaster unceremoniously after THEY did all the work to help the sport gain exposure. This Rocky Road thing is just a shadow site set up to take over the Freecaster rights. In the process, they've apparently also kept DirtTV from posting up their usual clips this week, over some "rights issue". Does someone really think Dirt and the Parkin Bros are getting unfairly rich from spending weeks in out in the mud, editing vids until 4am, and trying to upload them to the web over non-existent internet connections, all so that a few thousand people can keep up to date with the sport they love? And now they can't even cover the last race of the season? WTF???

If this new sponsor crap turns out to be a powergrab, we should all boycott this new kid on the block Rocky Roads whatever, until they give us our sport back. The real rights to this sport are with us, the fans and riders!

If it turns out I was wrong, I'll go back to searching for evidence of JFK's killer having an affair with Marilyn Monroe out in Area 51.

mtbr member
    Does it really matter? Zombies are going to eat everybody the "F" up next year anyways.

mtbr member
    No more "LOOK AT THE TIME"? Sh*t.

Who ever takes over NEEDS to hire Rob Warner. Period.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    N

Who ever takes over NEEDS to hire Rob Warner. Period.
    very true...he is the best
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671 View Post
    Does it really matter? Zombies are going to eat everybody the "F" up next year anyways.
    Stoked for this, finally some excitement from the work-eat-drink-shag-drink-sleep-work drag where everything is provided to you in neat plastic wrappers and the government makes sure you don't do anything they think you might not like or might be "unsafe".

Just make sure you lay low for the first few and let the transition to zombie land happen, non zombie people in the beginning of zombie apocalypse are too unpredictable.

Oh yeah and that sucks with freecaster, but no where in the article does it say freecaster is done? Or are people just inferring that since the new spokor has a site that has vids, that they will do this?

I'd say there is a fair bit more infrastructure behind the filming and commentating than just a website...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Major loss for the World Cup racing scene especially with the possibility of no Warner. Maybe someday a grassroots style of riding will start where people will huck big cliffs on bikes with insane amounts of suspension and a film crew will follow them to places like Virgin, Utah. Maybe this will replace the void left by freecaster.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is an article here which deals with background to all this some more.

It's worth reading the comments under the article (the first time I have ever thought that about online article comments) for some of the digging people have done into this RockyRoad website. All looks very fishy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Major loss for the World Cup racing scene especially with the possibility of no Warner. Maybe someday a grassroots style of riding will start where people will huck big cliffs on bikes with insane amounts of suspension and a film crew will follow them to places like Virgin, Utah. Maybe this will replace the void left by freecaster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @mykel I love the Warner and Nigel 'no wage' Page double team. Warner bringing the passion and Pager the technical insight. THough it's great when they both lose it entirely, see Danny Hart's run at Val Di Sole a few week's ago.

Perpetual Hack
    Rockyroadsnetwork.com was registered in July of 2010.
    As well, I have never heard of it and I'm a search-whore.

Warner kills it. Being a past rider gives him an insight other lack.
    As well, his turn of phrase is awesome. But methinks not PC enough for the mainstream...

michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    This world you speak of... how do we get there?
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Totally buying a Worlds pass now and possibly the DVD. $50 would be worth it to get my last bit of Freecaster DH coverage.

I'm going to miss getting up at 5 on a Sunday morning and having Rob Warner keep me awake by screaming about the time.

RockyRoads seems to have some real shady sh*t going on with the UCI. I am starting to get concerned for next season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989 View Post
    Totally buying a Worlds pass now and possibly the DVD. $50 would be worth it to get my last bit of Freecaster DH coverage.

I'm going to miss getting up at 5 on a Sunday morning and having Rob Warner keep me awake by screaming about the time.

RockyRoads seems to have some real shady sh*t going on with the UCI. I am starting to get concerned for next season.
    It really is cheaper than any other sport of this nature for elite coverage AND a dvd.

Warner has almost been the reason I have been so intrigued by the sport. We have no DH here to ride, so I have no first h and knowledge of the sport. He starts out slow and laid back as the show starts, and almost out of breath and horse at the end.

I guess we will always have this
    Santa Cruz Course Ride presented by Fox Racing Shox: World Championships, Champe - Mountain Bike Videos - Extreme.com by Freecaster.tv - Where the world is watching action sports LIVE

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Because the 2011 World Cup is over?
    yes. final race is world champs.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That dude is hilarious! Love it

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    After watching that video I bought the DVD and the race.

Super stoked for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think the Downhill community needs to ditch UCI! Oh, and the Rocky Road web site sucks, we are f***ked for the next 3 years!

mtbr member
    I think I just spent 4 hours digging through AlexAbroad's link and all the link's that have popped up from there. And believe there's a load of crazy info packed into those comments! Duece sums it up quite nicely, for those that don't have the time to do all the reading.
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

Nucking Futs
    Oh yes this season was the ***** and next year is almost guaranteed to be f'd so i'll pay the 30€ gladly for the dvd to review every epic moment and set some of Rob Warners one liner's as my voicemail and incoming text message sounds, hell mayb even the alarm clock! Not that bad, i've watched 2 seasons for free so it's quite fair.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

Now with More Wood
    Everything is fine. They just want to help:

Index of /rockyroad

:sarcasm:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I refuse to click a Rocky Road link.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by bspill1 View Post
    I refuse to click a Rocky Road link.
    That's not a Rocky Road link. It's a bunch of files hosted by Charles Robertson, photog...mouseover and thou shall see...

Yes, that's fonetic
    So, apparently this change has already taken place. We really have to pay to watch the DH tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    We really have to pay to watch the DH tomorrow?
    Yes.

Yes, that's fonetic
    So can anyone keep me from having to register in order to find out what the charge is? Is it per race, per season, or 1 time membership fee? Are they going to promise no lag and crappy streaming (something I was more than happy to put up with when it was free)?

N/M, got the answer from another thread, at least for the Worlds coverage. New to Freecaster this year, so they charged for the Worlds last year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    So can anyone keep me from having to register in order to find out what the charge is? Is it per race, per season, or 1 time membership fee? Are they going to promise no lag and crappy streaming (something I was more than happy to put up with when it was free)?
    I don't they can guarantee you a lag free stream but I haven't had any issues with streaming this year and being that this is a PPV event I don't think there will be as many people watching which will help with stream stability.

The event is 14.99 Euro, Google will do the exchange rate for you, and that is for the live and replays of all the events at the World Champs. They are also offering their DVD and a Worlds code for about 35 Euro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here you go fellas, watch it live for free here:

Mountain Bike : Home : Cycling Central on SBS
    Last edited by iguanabartola; 09-04-2011 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Here you go fellas, watch it live for free here:

Mountain Bike : Home : Cycling Central on SBS
    Geoblocked in the US, bummer

and Freecaster won't let me log in so I can't pay them if I wanted to. This is not exposing the sport to more people, although it sounds like the race is a mud bath. Being that I never ride mud, I'm not usually as into watching those races, but this is worlds.

Nucking Futs
    Hart took it by 11,5 seconds, Gwin caught the net on the lower section.

The starting coverage was really bad but the top 20 was very good, loads of camera's. Worth every penny!
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Such a good race. Harts run was obscene. Almost 12 seconds. Holy sh*t. Bummed for Gwin he was the only guy even close to Harts pace. Definitely worth every penny and all the buyers remorse from buying the DVD is now gone.

Such epic coverage. I think it would be sinful to drop Freecaster. I think we should start a mass email drive to the UCI to show support for the excellent coverage Freecaster provides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Danny the Champion of the World!

What a mental run! As a fellow Brit I was obviously supporting Danny (and hoping against the odds for some Indian summer glory from Steve Peat) but I can't help feeling sad for Gwin as he's been so dominant through the rest of the season.

Still, a British World Champion. I'm well pleased

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAbroad View Post
    Danny the Champion of the World!

What a mental run! As a fellow Brit I was obviously supporting Danny (and hoping against the odds for some Indian summer glory from Steve Peat) but I can't help feeling sad for Gwin as he's been so dominant through the rest of the season.

Still, a British World Champion. I'm well pleased
    Question for you as a British person. Rob and NIgel sort of mentioned it, but to British people not high-five?

Nucking Futs
    Yeah man I don't think any person in the world can easely take Warner and Page's place, atleast not for live streams. It won't be the same, so much emotion and positive energy it's unreal. They will be missed for sure if they don't come back.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

Now with More Wood
    Wow, pretty speachless after that. Absolutely, hands-down, best ever 15 EUR I ever spent on any kind of media, all genres confounded. It may not have been technically always perfect, and probably not clean enough for mass-media consumption, but did it deliver suspense and raw emotion? HELL YES.

The UCI are crazy if they don't realize just how much potential this sport really has. I don't remember last time I was so excited watching something. (OK, of course we are biased, but still). UCI, don't let petty greed get in the way of Freecaster continuing to bring us this kind of coverage, please.

Oh and I didn't think I'd say this, but we've finally found something to eclipse Sam's 07 Champery run. How fitting that it should be Danny's '11 Champery run. It was pure insanity on a bike. AND the time to throw the world's biggest whip on the home stretch. How to win with style.

Shame for Gwin who was in with a shot. The speed that guy carries is unreal - he just doesn't even look close to the edge (of course, this time he came TOO close, but that just goes to show...).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @jcook1989 We do, just not as much as Americans I guess.

We shake hands mostly, prim and proper. Or nod from a distance avoiding all physical and emotional contact.