Next Season Build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Next Season Build?

I have been on the local downhill trails and liked being able to ride up most of the trail with my Stinky6, but it has reached the point where I need a bigger bike. And, found that getting a new fork or even rear shock would not be worth it currently as both would cost twice the cost of the bike initially. So, I will be keeping this bike as my "do all" bike and am currently looking at more downhill oriented bike.

I like to ride down steep and technical runs with lots of rock gardens and sharp turns. And, the occasional groomed run at a resort.

I am looking for a light and agile bike to build up for next years season and my road trip. I would like to buy a bike that is made in North America, just personal preference but I am open to any other companies if the frame fits my riding style.

I have looked at the following frames

Intense 951- 8ish lbs know its little flexy, but talked to someone this weekend and they didn't seem to notice it at all and they were on the heavier side.

Knolly Podium - 10lbs haven't had a chance to talk to someone in person about how they ride, but can get a chance to ride one soon, just gotta ask.

But, I would like to see if there are any other suggestions on other frames that don't weigh a ton would be great or if there are suggestions about specific parts for the above frames. The Knolly would be the maximum on the price scale.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    951's are super sick.

I've never ever heard of them described as "flexy"...
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The guy I talked to that was riding one said it is a bit, but he didn't notice it when he was riding except on the bigger stuff, but then again most things would flex on some of the bigger stuff now that I think about it :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So what's your price range? Another consideration is maintenance because some bikes require quite a bit more than others.

The Yeti 303RDH and the Yeti build kit is a pretty amazing deal for what you get. You might also want to check out Turner, Commencal, Transition, Specialized...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would like to keep it under 5k. Maintenance is not a big issue really, as the Yeti has the rail system and that needs more attention but I am more than willing to keep the bike in good condition.

mtbr member
    Why not the M-9?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well the m9 is on the max range for the frame cost and I honestly haven't really considered it.

Frame wise I guess would be 951, m9, yeti 303rdh, Knolly podium.

Anyone ride those on windy technical trails? I know about the 951 and 303rdh, but more about the podium and 303rdh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m3t4w0rm
    Well the m9 is on the max range for the frame cost and I honestly haven't really considered it.

Frame wise I guess would be 951, m9, yeti 303rdh, Knolly podium.

Anyone ride those on windy technical trails? I know about the 951 and 303rdh, but more about the podium and 303rdh.
    I haven't ridden either but I have read a ton about the 951 and the 303. A buddy of mine has a 303rdh and loves it. But hopefully this helps.

The 951 seems to be the cornering favorite. Definitely a fast bike with Super progressive suspension. I have read on multiple forums that the suspension can be too progressive if you are hitting big stuff at high speeds. To the point of blowing shock dampers.

The consensus on the Yeti is that it is much more linear travel. Doesnt corner quite as well but feels more alive and pops a lot better off of jumps.

IMO i have read a lot about Intense frame defects. Again from multiple forums on multiple models. No doubt they are a top notch bike company but from what ive read the Yeti will hold up better but you will go a tad faster on the Intense.

While I know a lot of people that are happy with the 303RDH, that rail makes a ton of noise if it gets too dirt packed.

Both bikes have their ups and downs but from what ive read the Yeti seems to be the favorite. Just an opinion from a guy that hasn't ridden either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well reading that I think I need to get some test rides if I can of the yeti and the intense (both) thanks for the overview.

Can't wait till next season starts up especially with a new ride

Glad to Be Alive
    I
    Intense 951- 8ish lbs know its little flexy, but talked to someone this weekend and they didn't seem to notice it at all and they were on the heavier side.

K.
    flexy??? Never heard that before

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I heard it from the guy I talked to this weekend.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Foes?
    I've really enjoyed the Foes that I own/have owned. Stable and nimble. Very well known for being stiff.
    The new Hydro offers adjustable geometry and a wider range of shocks.
    Made in the USA.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I heard it from the guy I talked to this weekend.
    Unless the guy's a pro-level rider with a lot of time on the bike, take his opinion of a 951 as a "flexy bike" with a grain of salt. Most people up on the hill don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. There are so many variables that come into play when describing the feel of a bike. I wouldn't make a decision based on what some clown on the lift told you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Never heard of Foes...honestly. The only problem is that I may not be able to get a ride in on a Foes, well not easily, but if I can get a ride in on one then it will be on my list.

Members who have read this thread: 0