Newly built and WET trails/Socal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Newly built and WET trails/Socal

Hey all. This a friendly reminder to everyone out there, and specifically captain "I can't wait for these jumps to dry so I am going to shred them to sh*t." It just rained here in SoCal and I know a lot of people have been busy digging, which is good news for everyone.

If it is obvious someone has been building/maintaining trails/jumps/etc throughout the previous month's rains, give it some time before you ride them. Seriously, let it dry then go enjoy the work of the diggers.

Some dude/dudes are tearing up the line I built. Fixing the lips/landings every few days is getting old. I don't mind building and sharing, but getting f*cked into rebuilding lips/patching landings over and over sucks goat. And the little roll up the lip and back down without hitting it routine...come on. If you're bent on sh*tting on the line at least have some balls. And if you've been riding some freshly made line somewhere near Mission Viejo, chances are it's you I am talking to. Give it a week man. Judging by tire tracks, it's just you.

Give it a week, forecast is sunny. If you are bored, go dig. Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry for that. I know the exact feeling. People here in Idaho don't know not to ride when its wet. Trails just get torn up and jumps are in horrible condition and nobody wants to help rebuild them. I feel your pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Glad to Be Alive
    I wish it was one person.....but the skidding, ruining jumps, berms and all just sucks....then you got the guys riding around everything making new lines...arrr
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    ...then you got the guys riding around everything making new lines...
    i feel you on the that. check out the cheater line this dude is making...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i feel you on the that. check out the cheater line this dude is making...
    that one hurt......beginning of the end of the wrist
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-29-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

squish is good
    You silly Californians, can't build anything that holds up in the wet.

If I had to wait for it to dry out I'd get about three rides a year.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    You silly Californians, can't build anything that holds up in the wet.

If I had to wait for it to dry out I'd get about three rides a year.
    hah! we need it to last for the rest of the year.

That said, I'm a big fan of getting way to much speed for a jump, then skidding the rear tire back and forth across the top, then getting all western on that sh1t and landing sideways. The goal, for me, is to throw as much dirt as possible, without actually touching a shovel. Dragging a brake through a berm is one of my few joys in life.

But seriously, that sucks dude, riders hitting wet jumps sucks balls in socal.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    @Itchy

Lets see some carnage.

SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Pin it
    Until I started digging, I never thought of the damage I could do. Now I just feel dumb.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    That said, I'm a big fan of getting way to much speed for a jump, then skidding the rear tire back and forth across the top, then getting all western on that sh1t and landing sideways. The goal, for me, is to throw as much dirt as possible, without actually touching a shovel. Dragging a brake through a berm is one of my few joys in life.
    Thats awesome. New sig, engage!
    Bike good, work bad.

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    i live close to you could you pm me where these jumps are.

UNDEAD
    Itchy-
    All I can say is thanx for your hard work and dedication, the will to actually give back in some people is nice to see.

I know totally where you are coming from.
    I've spent hours and hours on my fav. local trails/jumps to only have them thrashed in minutes on the same day by a$$-clowns that have no respect for anything they ride...they must think that the magic trail fairy comes by and fixes things for them.
    My favorite kicker was completly destroyed by lame-a$$ off roader wanna-be's during the last rain, I had to completely rebuild and shape it by myself yesterday, in hopes it would survive to see a better day.
    Do I ask for help, no
    Why?
    Don't want to attract attention

I gave up on my fav downhill recently, I had it the last time I was out.
    Within one day all my work was blown out from dudes that can't wait a day or two to let things harden up and settle.
    Have these guys ever picked up a shovel and sweat their nuts off repairing a trail?
    NO
    But how you gunna stop them?
    Can't
    So I said my good-byes yesterday on my final runs down a blown-out, brake bump, rutted out trail cause of these yahoos....they can get their tire twisted and hit the ground hard for alI care...HAVE FUN!
    I will come back to it in the Spring time

Good luck man is all I can say, unless you have the power to "close down" a trail not much will change

Glad to Be Alive
    one of the best ways to get someone not to roll your lip is to dig a hole they would sink into right after and even some well placed rocks after the lip..(where you fly over but if you role it you will be hitting a curb high rock)....

Pro Crastinator
    i dig giant holes in front of trail features that are still wet/soft and then fill them back in later. my stuff usually stays legit till i come back and fill in the holes. often times i will even slightly disguise the hole so clowns don't see it till the last minute. it's not uncommon for me to come back to the hole and see a huge imprint of someones front wheel in the other side of it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wish it was one person.....but the skidding, ruining jumps, berms and all just sucks....then you got the guys riding around everything making new lines...arrr
    On edit, I think the OP was talking about riding too soon after the rains - which is SO not ok in my book - people have done it on trails and dj's I have worked hard on and it always pisses me off....

as for go-arounds (dirt jump lines excepted)

It's your backyard - but to be honest, I really think the fact you guys (often) build with no go-arounds is not the best choice- not everybody is going to hit everything on every given day - and the sort of "must make" building is not always going to be well built (placement of the jump - like on an uphill where maintaining the required speed is tough) - and creating a trail that has no way around what are often not the best-built stunts (and in fact building "traps" and so forth to prevent not commiting), is in my opinion poor building choices - Whistler is one of the most user-friendly places to ride (and nobody could say lacking in difficult trails) - because they build in a way that even if people really screw up or don't commit, they won't by nature of the jump/drop/stunt get hurt - and there is always a go-around that is less difficult or commited

it's actually in a builder's best interest (btw, this is on a TRAIL not a set of dirt jumps which can't work like this) - because people ARE going to go around - I'm guessing I know which trail(s) you guys are specifically referring to - and I've seen the damage done by people going around - but if you didn't build trenches on either side or try to block and FORCE people to do every jump/stunt etc. - then there wouldn't be so much damage from peeps going around

another reason it's "in your own best interest" is keeping injuries down - Bob, you got yourself out after a horrific crash (actually more than one ;-) - and that's great - I've done the same on the very trail I think we are speaking of (ruptured kidney) - but not everybody will self-rescue nor will they be able to - and that brings unwanted attention to what are, after all, unofficial trails on public lands - which we don't want! so by forcing folks to go bigger than they may be willing or able, you are creating a possible trail-closing incident.

and before anybody starts with the "THEN DON'T RIDE THAT TRAIL" - I've ridden all over the place - and even (especially) on the North Shore of Vancouver, they don't build huge do-or-die lines without a go around - in fact, nearly every trail I've ridden in BC has alternate lines - often marked with ski icons (blue diamond for easier, black or double black for harder) - this makes for user-friendly trails - and you know what you are getting into. There are exceptions, but not many come to mind - and they are exceptions, not the norm

it's just my take, and it's not my backyard (although I've ridden out there for a very long time), and I get the frustration with damage done to what you work hard on - it's just that if you build no alternate, the reality is that some people will go around...

all that said, there is clearly a great crew of people that work really hard at building and maintaining, and anybody who rides should respect that and do their best not to damage the work - I do
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Proud lame eBiker
    WCH FTW!!! Nice one man!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Diggin' a hole in front of the first in the set in a good idea. haha. Actually really good. Although it could arouse contempt in the douche heart.

I went back yesterday to check up and some kid had poked two deep ass finger holes into lip #2 and finished with a smiley face groove. haha. Though, kids ruining crap because they are kids and they suck at everything doesn't bother me so much. i'll take pictures of wreckage next time.

just re-read what snow-man said about the trail fairy. haha. I was thinkin' the same thing.
    Whoever is riding the jumps must be havin' a *****en time. They come out...ride, destroy, and leave. Then they come back the next day and my sorry ass has fixed everything for them. I am never having kids. Somehow that is my only conclusion.

fudge it, i am quitting my job to dig full time and i am throwing away my bike tomorrow.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    It's your backyard - but to be honest, I really think the fact you guys (often) build with no go-arounds is not the best choice- not everybody is going to hit everything on every given day - and the sort of "must make" building is not always going to be well built (placement of the jump - like on an uphill where maintaining the required speed is tough)

there are go around lines stuff I rode as a beginner (4 1/2 months on a mountain bike) first time riding a bike in 20 years)....just the begining was changed to make people think before dropping in.....toomany XC'ers with hardtails coming through who have no biz on trail....and that is reality

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    are the jumps your talking about at marina hills,mercedes, or another location

StraightOuttaCompton
    use wood to build, then itll never get messed up.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew4president
    are the jumps your talking about atblau hills,blau blau, or another location
    if the guy at the beginning of the post doesn't say a exact location (which he shouldn't do on the Internet)...then why would you even ask like an idiot??

Don't mention places or names on internet unless they are nicknames of the real trail....

for instance A line.....I am out riding the steak sauce today...care to join (reference to A-1 steak sauce...A being short for A-line)....get it learn it and don't post names

UNDEAD
    ]

I rest my case....
    It's guys like this I just shake my head at
    Or he thinks he's being funny
    Last edited by snow-man; 01-01-2009 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For the love of god did this turn into another thread where some dumbfyck mentions the name of actual locations?

Methhead, edit your post.

Snowdude, might want to consider editing the quote.

This is gonna turn into another ridiculous thread where way too much info is divulged and everybody leaves with a sour taste in their mouth.

C S
    mtbr member
    are the jumps your talking about at
    Dude, you asked and he didn't tell you. Why keep pushing it? Just because you know about some trails doesn't mean you can know about all of them. Opening your mouth like this is a good way to make sure no one tells you about their trails
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah I am not so keen on posting exact locations on the interwebs. There are obvious reasons for not doing so. But the trail is around...I mean...there really aren't many places around here that aren't developed. I don't mind telling people about places...but given that I am already battling some ass master sh*tting on the line as it is, I would rather keep it sealed 'till everything is dry and ready. Not trying to be an d*ck.

Anyway, it's drying at a snail's pace...seems just as wet as it was a week ago...I think I may just Sham-wow the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thankx for your efforts itchy. I mainly fight with punks on 50's or recentley some fat ass jeeper decided to run over our ten pack in his rock humper...yeah what hell then you go to whistler come back got kids dragging your hose on your pump track you built on land you rent...where is the respect? if your ever in hemet ca come by and ride my yard right by ramona tire pumptrack and dirties with rollin all the people in my town are scared or something

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thankx for your efforts itchy. I mainly fight with punks on 50's or recentley some fat ass jeeper decided to run over our ten pack in his rock humper...yeah what hell then you go to whistler come back got kids dragging your hose on your pump track you built on land you rent...where is the respect? if your ever in hemet ca come by and ride my yard right by ramona tire pumptrack and dirties with rollin all the people in my town are scared or something

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nostrangertodanger
    where is the respect
    long ****ing gone my friend.
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    why is everyone so worried about naming locations on the internet. Do you know how many MERCEDES dealerships their are in so-cal? and about the jumps at MARINA HILLS by the OLD FOLKS HOME i built a ton of them and I like it when new people come to my jumps. so if anyone wants to know the exact location of either let me know. And to all you other D-BAGS who dont even live in so-cal and are all butt hurt relax because it doesnt affect you at all.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    why is everyone so worried about naming locations on the internet. Do you know how many MERCEDES dealerships their are in so-cal? and about the jumps at MARINA HILLS by the OLD FOLKS HOME i built a ton of them and I like it when new people come to my jumps. so if anyone wants to know the exact location of either let me know. And to all you other D-BAGS who dont even live in so-cal and are all butt hurt relax because it doesnt affect you at all.
    D-bag.

(seriously man...look at the other side of the story.)

Glad to Be Alive

because it is guys like you that get stuff shut down

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What about some yellow construction tape? It might get tore down but its better than making someone crash and then having them trash your sh!t cause they are pissed off even though are wrong.

Just a idea.....

I can't imagine putting all that labor into something only to see it trashed and not rideable by the people who built it....
    Chris

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    because it is guys like you that get stuff shut down
    no its guys like me who build legit jumps so old farts like you dont have to throw out your back trying to build stuff. And i dont think my jumps are going to get torn down some one broke their neck there and was carried out by the paramedic and someone lit a stoner fort on fire down their and several fire trucks came, and guess what my jumps still exist.

one more thing. SMT if you spent half as much time on your bike than you do on this forum we wouldnt even be having this argument

squish is good
    one more thing. SMT if you spent half as much time on your bike than you do on this forum we wouldnt even be having this argument
    You know he's a cripple cause he tried hucking way too big right? Seriously, dudes recovering from ribs and sans a spleen. I don't know how he does it but he manages to get some awesome riding in between his typing, even if he is an old dusty fart.

And I'd tend to agree, don't go blabbing about locations publicly. If people ask then pony up and tell em, but do it with a PM or an email, no need to expose stuff. It's not just SoCal, we all have to worry about it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    one of the best ways to get someone not to roll your lip is to dig a hole they would sink into right after and even some well placed rocks after the lip..(where you fly over but if you role it you will be hitting a curb high rock)....
    x2 word.

Glad to Be Alive
    no its guys like me who build legit jumps so old farts like you dont have to throw out your back trying to build stuff. And i dont think my jumps are going to get torn down some one broke their neck there and was carried out by the paramedic and someone lit a stoner fort on fire down their and several fire trucks came, and guess what my jumps still exist.

mathew...honestly local people can back me up on this....if you build half as much or even more then I do then my hat is off to you. Because that would be a lot of work. I have a lot of time to do stuff....when I am here posting I am also working....most the other time I am in the mountain riding. I usually ride 5 to 6 days a week....sometimes going 3 weeks strait. ...So it is actually opposite I actually post at least half as much as I ride...meaning I ride a lot more then post...

FYI.... I got doctors approval to start exercising and lite XC riding....just have to take it easy so I don't get a hernia as I build up muscles in my stomach up

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Just cause you havn't seen them torn down yet Doesn't mean that they aren't going to get torn down. Im down there Every Day diggin. And I dont know who you are but I know there ain't nobody down there named matthew and there especially ain't nobody down there named mathew who's diggin. So if you did HELP build those trails in the Past then go down there and help now. But don't be a punk and call them your trails cause you didn't build that entire place by yourself and you sure as heck didn't build anything new down there.

As for the original topic. Dig a hole in front of the first lip. And make sure to take your shovels home with you or lock them up. Cause some punk kids will find your shovels and fix that hole just to ride real quick wet or not. Im usually down at the trails so if people do that ill just stand in front of them when there jumping. Cause unless you actually pick up a shovel and do work, you cant really know how much effort goes into building a place like that. I dont come to your house and wreck through it, dont come to Our trails and disrespect. Notice how I said Our and not Mine. D-Bag.

P.S. Don't mention where spots are on the internet. That's Just stupid.

Members who have read this thread: 0