Newbie Getting into DH/FR (Video Inside)- Mtbr.com
    See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011

Newbie Getting into DH/FR (Video Inside)

After a trip up to Snowshoe this past weekend my skill level progressed tremendously when it comes to jumping and hitting some drops. I live in FL, so I dont really have the ability to get to any get DH/FR without making a trip out of it. We do have some pretty nice drops into a limerock pit called "The Vortex" at Santos, but most are way beyond my skill level. I have been eye balling this smaller drop for a couple months and just never built up the courage to actually do it. Well, after Snowshoe, I knew for a fact I WAS going to hit it when I got home.

I know this is like nothing compared to what some of you guys hit without even thinking about it, but its a start to building my drop/jumping skills so I can hit more features on my next trip. I am also trying to work on maneuvering my bike while in the air, instead of doing the "dead sailor" which is my main goal to improve upon.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pXdFVjfZxg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;h d=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pXdFVjfZxg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;h d=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

AND

Our first run on the last day from my buddies GoPro, Im up front. He was taking it a bit easy as he had developed blisters on BOTH hands, so he was in a little pain trying to hold on for dear life!

<object width="600" height="338"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=29746855&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=29746855&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="338"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/29746855">Snowshoe Mountain Biking, West Virginia - Western Territory</a></p>
    Last edited by TheTwanksta; 09-29-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    awesome

we all start somewhere...glad to see you stepping it up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Thanks, hopefully someday Ill step up to the drop on the left in the video. Its similar to the road gap jump at snowshoe, except it actually has a gap! haha. Consequences are a little higher if you dont carry enough speed as you will just eat the backside of the transition!

mtbr member
    congrats on stepping up! i started dh last year and did my first races this year progression is hard but its well werth it keep going!!!
    keep the rubber side down!!

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Thanks! If you do a search on youtube for "santos vortex" you can see my playground back in FL. Definitely plenty of areas to progress my skills and possibly get hurt.

Here is a pretty good video that shows what Santos has to offer.
    Santos Fat Tire Comp 2010 Video - Pinkbike.com
    Last edited by TheTwanksta; 09-29-2011 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTwanksta View Post
    Thanks! If you do a search on youtube for "santos vortex" you can see my playground back in FL. Definitely plenty of areas to progress my skills and possibly get hurt.

Here is a pretty good video that shows what Santos has to offer.
    Santos Fat Tire Comp 2010 Video - Pinkbike.com
    Very cool. Looks like a fun place.

I go to North Florida cave diving right often. Is this anywhere near High Springs or Lake City? Love to bring my bike along next trip down and spend a day riding.

Is it near the cave they call Vortex?
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Very cool. Looks like a fun place.

I go to North Florida cave diving right often. Is this anywhere near High Springs or Lake City? Love to bring my bike along next trip down and spend a day riding.

Is it near the cave they call Vortex?
    High springs looks to be about an hour north of where this is located. You can check it out on the map below:
    High Springs, FL to Ocala, FL - Google Maps

Santos Vortex is pretty much a limerock quarry. There are caves underneath it, but I dont think its the cave you are referring to.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    way to go but that raod gap at snowshoe is way bigger than the one you are talking about at santos

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwanksta View Post
    Thanks, hopefully someday Ill step up to the drop on the left in the video. Its similar to the road gap jump at snowshoe, except it actually has a gap! haha. Consequences are a little higher if you dont carry enough speed as you will just eat the backside of the transition!

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    way to go but that raod gap at snowshoe is way bigger than the one you are talking about at santos
    The one I am talking about is at about 18 seconds in this video.. Santos Fat Tire Comp 2010 Video - Pinkbike.com

Its probably smaller, but it seems like a further distance, may be just because there is an actual gap full of rocks rather than the fire road.
    Last edited by TheTwanksta; 09-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great video!