Newbie FR/DH'er!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Newbie FR/DH'er!

Hi everyone,
    Let me just start off by saying that I know you guys probably get this a lot but, I searched the forum and couldn't find much about beginner bikes.
    Like the thread title, im looking to ride FR/DH and am looking for a good starting bike. However, I'm not new to the idea of drops, jumps, bombing hills, rock gardens, and full suspension becuase I've ridden dirt bikes for much of my life. Basically, I have some of the fundamental skills for FR/DH, and am looking at sharpening those skills on a bike. Im interested in a good starting bike with a lot of capability but within a 2500 price cap. So far I've personally seen a Norco A-Line and really liked it, but I haven't seen that much. Could you guys suggest some good starting bikes, that also are quite capable.
    Thanks,
    Grant Fox

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There are alot of good bikes out there. Do some / alot of research. Test ride a few bikes and then try and make a informed decision. Price is always a factor.

Norco, Kona, Specialized all make good value bikes for first buyers. The A-line is pretty good value for what u get, but not sure on how well the bike performs. check out the reviews

Look around for some specials as you could find an old model at a huge discount. I just picked up a '03 Big Hit DH for $3500 AUS brand new. It was over $6000 when it first came out.

Its probably best to buy a bike with all the best bits than upgrading later. It will cost u less in the long run even though u spend more to begin with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You could get some really nice bikes for that much. I saw an A-line in the classifieds here for around 1000 or something like that. Look for big hits, rocky mountains, bullits, and other stuff like that. I would look through the classifieds. Lots of times people just leave their bikes in their garage and don't ride so some are in great condition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks for the info guys....It looks like I'll be checking some reviews

mtbr member
    Im sure you could find a Yeti-ASX for around that price......and it'd be a good bike incase you find an un-expected hill that you need to climb.

a'buh?
    man, I wish I had that much to spend on a new bike. Yeah, look at rocky mountain, norco, specialized, kona, and maybe some other ones. Just find out what your priorities are with this new bike, and research bikes that fall into your criteria. Then, test ride as many as you can, and see if the shop will actually let you take it out into the woods somewhere (you can usually do it, you just leave your credit card with them) and get whichever one you like the best after riding it
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Geejar

I know that you can get a Yeti ASX with a 7" Sherman Slider+ and all the goodies for about that $ at Adrenaline Bikes in Tustin, CA (also online at www.adrenalinebikes.com). I was in there looking at one the other day and that's what they quoted me about $2500 for one. I spoke with a guy named Gary--very cool guy who knew his sh!t. The ASX was a really nice piece--I would have bought it but I'm going with a Demo 9 instead.

FYI I've never bought a bike there but my buddy just bought a tricked-out Yeti 575 from them. (Captain Crash on MTBR do a search). He got a stellar deal on it, and is also very pleased with the customer service.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geejar
    Hi everyone,
    Let me just start off by saying that I know you guys probably get this a lot but, I searched the forum and couldn't find much about beginner bikes.
    Like the thread title, im looking to ride FR/DH and am looking for a good starting bike. However, I'm not new to the idea of drops, jumps, bombing hills, rock gardens, and full suspension becuase I've ridden dirt bikes for much of my life. Basically, I have some of the fundamental skills for FR/DH, and am looking at sharpening those skills on a bike. Im interested in a good starting bike with a lot of capability but within a 2500 price cap. So far I've personally seen a Norco A-Line and really liked it, but I haven't seen that much. Could you guys suggest some good starting bikes, that also are quite capable.
    Thanks,
    Grant Fox

I don't think that the Norco A-Line is a "starting bike" so if you can go for that one you'll be more that fine...I have a friend with and 04 A-line and is a pritty sweet ride with the 888 in the front and the RC in the back you are in bussiness my friend...

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    dont get an aline...if ur starting out then a bike such as a norco would not be a good starters bike...if ur starting out ur gunna want some thing that u can beat the hell out of it and it will still stay true...

go for something like a specialized big hit expert...kona stinky deelux...or something of that level (a good frame that will last a while and wont hold u back...so lots of rear wheel travel... ) thats as u progress as a rider you can upgrade it so by the time ur hitting 20ft drops etc...ull have a totally pimping bike with great components...

good luck with what u find...probably dont go for a second hand bike if u have the cash...you dont want to have any troubles with ur bike as a new rider...and remember "Face ur Fears, Live Ur Dreams"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    dont get an aline...if ur starting out then a bike such as a norco would not be a good starters bike...if ur starting out ur gunna want some thing that u can beat the hell out of it and it will still stay true...

04 A-Line with 8" in the back and 8" in front is no good for starters..mmm.. what then...!!!?

Please some Norco owner take care of this guy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bighit Evangalest

I have to pipe in here.....

BIGHIT BABY!

Try and get an 04 comp and swap out the fork for somethign like a junior-t, that will get you started nicely. Alot of stores will gladly take off the frok that come on a bike and take the cost off the bike, especially if you buy the replacement bike off them too.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

mtbr member
    Just incase you're wondering, those arent true 888's. They are pretty much an all black Jr.T with 8inches of travel with Jr.T dampening.

Pro Crastinator
    De Vinci

8 flat 8

Cynical Bystander
    That actually looks like a cool bike. Strange opposite fsr design type of a thing it looks like but fun none the less.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

VIA
    banned
    [QUOTE=.WestCoastHucker.]De Vinci

8 flat 8

Hell yeah...
    Now we're talking....!!!

But the kid was looking for a starter bike....

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    Hell yeah...
    Now we're talking....!!!

But the kid was looking for a starter bike....
    well, he is from a MX background, a beginner bike would be too spindly for him, he needs a big bike.....

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    well, he is from a MX background, a beginner bike would be too spindly for him, he needs a big bike.....

yeah...is gona be hard to get a 8-8 in the US...or the kid is also from canada...
    anyway I'd love to see some action pics of that Dev.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who have posted. I'll check out every bike you guys have recommemded. As a side note, while im not read to take huge drops, I would like a bike thats pretty compeditive right off the bat.

Grant

mtbr member

Begginer bike is relative...

....on your background. Dude, you're from a MX background. A begginer bike from a former XC guy would be different for one of your skill set.

What ever brand you decide on, get the highest model you can get for the $$. You would not have a problem handling a top line DH/FR machine if you ride MX regularly. You're skill curve would peak rapidly.

Just remember the clutch is now the front brake on a bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert

Just remember the clutch is now the front brake on a bike!
    Lol...oh I know, Its probably going to be a few dirt naps until I kick that habit. Most likely Ill just switch the brake lever postions!