Newbie DH racing questions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770

    Newbie DH racing questions

    Hey, I wanna start racing this upcoming season, and would probably go to Moab mid april to the first race of the mountain state cup.
    1. Is full body armour required, or highly suggested? I'm only 15, and my parents don't want to pay for much, and as it is, I need to buy a full face, shinguards, etc...
    2. Clipless or platform? I've got Mallet C pedals and am fairly comfortable riding technical terrain on them, but don't know what would be better in a race.
    3. (stupid question), what type of jumps should I expect to see on a course? I'm sure it varies between courses, but do most have large doubles, step downs, etc?
    If anybody could answer those questions, or give me some suggestions or anything like that, that would be great. Thanks.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    188
    hey I've thought about racing the mtn states cup as well but just don't have the time.

    But as far as body armor I would recommend it especially for the moab race, the course is pretty rough and consequences of a fall are brutal out there. If you can't get the armor I would skip the moab race if I were u.

    Good luck man

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    160
    Dunno about you, but I didn't feel like skimping on gear. I paid like $300~ on gear. Especially on the helmet. LIke they say $50 helmet, $50 head. Go buy yourself a nice troy lee D2.

  4. #4
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    What would be some good armour? I'm a big guy, like 6' and like 200#, should I look into a Flak Jacket? Also, what would be some good equipment that I could get for a decent price?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Hey, I wanna start racing this upcoming season, and would probably go to Moab mid april to the first race of the mountain state cup.
    1. Is full body armour required, or highly suggested? I'm only 15, and my parents don't want to pay for much, and as it is, I need to buy a full face, shinguards, etc...
    2. Clipless or platform? I've got Mallet C pedals and am fairly comfortable riding technical terrain on them, but don't know what would be better in a race.
    3. (stupid question), what type of jumps should I expect to see on a course? I'm sure it varies between courses, but do most have large doubles, step downs, etc?
    If anybody could answer those questions, or give me some suggestions or anything like that, that would be great. Thanks.
    I would highly recommend body armor for the Moab race. The RockGardn Flak Jacket is a good chest protector and is fairly affordable. I have raced all the downhill courses in the Mountain States Cup last year and Moab tends to beat you up more than the others. Moab has many drops on both the beginner/sport and expert/pro courses. The question to use clipless or platform is use what is comfortable to you, I perfer platform so I can bail off quick when crashing off a drop. Most of the courses will have drops and double jumps but the big ones are on the expert/pro courses. If you are not ready for a drop or a jump most courses will have a slower alterate path around it.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295

    I would recommend the Rockgarden Flak Jacket

    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    What would be some good armour? I'm a big guy, like 6' and like 200#, should I look into a Flak Jacket? Also, what would be some good equipment that I could get for a decent price?
    I would recommend the Rockgarden Flak Jacket.
    http://www.balleracing.com/RockGardn/RockGardnFJ.htm
    You can also check out the body armor reviews on MTBR to see what the other riders like and dislike.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    895
    Is ther some sort of website where you guys see when all these races are happening?? I have trouble finding out about or signing up for races...
    Last edited by MTBsSd; 01-21-2004 at 11:45 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    Is ther some sort of website where you guys see when all these races are happening?? I have trouble finding out about or signing up for races...
    Here is the race schedule for 2004 of the Mountain States Cup held in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico USA
    http://www.mtnstatescup.com/htm/comp/schedule.htm
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

  9. #9
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,406
    Giro madmax is a quality helmet and will defenitly protect your head. I just bought my second mad max, its really comfortable as well, i thin its a 100 bucks this year.
    The rockgardn flakjacket is a nice pic, stick with your choice there
    the roach rally DH shin guards are nice, full wrap, and protective.
    id buy some heavy duty mx style shorts we well.
    dont skip out on gear, its something you'll want, i can imagine one fall at moab is like falling off a motorcycle going 30 on paved road, theres no good way to come out of that i dont think. thats why i suggested a heavy duty short.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Hey, I wanna start racing this upcoming season, and would probably go to Moab mid april to the first race of the mountain state cup.
    1. Is full body armour required, or highly suggested? I'm only 15, and my parents don't want to pay for much, and as it is, I need to buy a full face, shinguards, etc...
    2. Clipless or platform? I've got Mallet C pedals and am fairly comfortable riding technical terrain on them, but don't know what would be better in a race.
    3. (stupid question), what type of jumps should I expect to see on a course? I'm sure it varies between courses, but do most have large doubles, step downs, etc?
    If anybody could answer those questions, or give me some suggestions or anything like that, that would be great. Thanks.
    Body armor is definitely advisable on the Tour of Canyonlands course. Out of 4 practice runs, 3 runs I blew up something on my bike and had to head to the local shops for repairs/parts - just to give you an idea it's a pretty rugged course. I forget the age group but one of the experts that won his class last year had broken his neck or something on the course the year before - they had mentioned it during the awards ceremony.

    The jumps on the beg/sport course weren't too bad, and when there were drops, you usually had a couple lines to pick. The ones on the expert course were bigger.

    As far as armor goes, I'm pretty similar to your build and am only somewhat satisfied with how my flak jacket fits. Lots of protection, but I think it needs more arm velcro maybe above the elbow to keep it more snug, and the chest/back armor could use more velcro to snug it down more. I think it's an issue of nobody out their makes armor to fit lanky people that well.

    Good luck if you race this year!

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    206

    Hey Erik

    I think my friend and I might have ridden with you last year?

    Were you there for a shuttle ride in Colorado Springs, set up by Kristian? There were quite a few people, guy named Jim with a VW bus, Jeremy and some other semi-pro or pro riders?

    We rode some trail with stunts and such - my friend and I came down from Denver - I was the tall, skinny skinhead with a gold bullit that flatted out....anyhow if you're the guy I remember just wanted to say hello....

    Terry

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295

    That was me

    Quote Originally Posted by ladge
    I think my friend and I might have ridden with you last year?

    Were you there for a shuttle ride in Colorado Springs, set up by Kristian? There were quite a few people, guy named Jim with a VW bus, Jeremy and some other semi-pro or pro riders?

    We rode some trail with stunts and such - my friend and I came down from Denver - I was the tall, skinny skinhead with a gold bullit that flatted out....anyhow if you're the guy I remember just wanted to say hello....

    Terry
    Terry,
    Yes I went riding with you, the VW bus with the lift kit beat us to the top. The one Chevy pick-up had like 10 bikes in the back of it. The other semi-pro rider was Mike Ambrose. I want to ride that run again, it was fun.
    Erik,

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbManiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    83

    I'm beginning too

    I'm just getting into DH aswell, but I don't know how to enter races. Do you have to sign up ahead of time? And how would you go about siging up for races, paying fees, etc... Or do you just show up for the race and sign up? I haven't seen anything about it on the net, I'v seen the dates for events and stuff, but I want to know how to sign up. I'm looking forward to any replies, Thanks

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbManiak
    I'm just getting into DH aswell, but I don't know how to enter races. Do you have to sign up ahead of time? And how would you go about siging up for races, paying fees, etc... Or do you just show up for the race and sign up? I haven't seen anything about it on the net, I'v seen the dates for events and stuff, but I want to know how to sign up. I'm looking forward to any replies, Thanks
    For the Mountain States Cup races you can register for the races online through Active.com for about $38, they have a link on the Mountain States Cup website. You can also register at the event but you have to pay an extra $10. If you are under 18 you will need a parent or guardian sign a form. If you don't have a NORBA license you can buy a one time race license for $5 or buy the year license. You also want to show up a day before the race so you can check-in and get your number plate and practice the course .
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    206

    yeah come summer...

    I'm looking forward to riding more in Colorado Springs - if I don't see you down there I'll see you at the MSC races probably.

    Take care!

Similar Threads

  1. help this newbie
    By geish in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 06:26 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:16 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 03:20 PM
  5. First Post: First ride on Racing Ralph 2.25s
    By ohpossum in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 12:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.