New Zealand riders I need your advice!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Zealand riders I need your advice!!!!

Hey, I'm thinking about studying abroad in New Zealand next year and was wondering what the biking scene was like? The locations I could study at are the University of Waikato in Hamilton, or any of the Massey University locations (Palmerston North, Wellington, and Albany).

mtbr member
    i think its Vorb.org.nz somtthing or other is the site name give ti a look

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickqid
    Hey, I'm thinking about studying abroad in New Zealand next year and was wondering what the biking scene was like? The locations I could study at are the University of Waikato in Hamilton, or any of the Massey University locations (Palmerston North, Wellington, and Albany).
    Riding in Wellington is awesome
    Hamilton is pretty good
    Palmeston North is flat
    Albany (Auckland) is pretty good.

I am an Aucklander. We have pretty good stuff, two or three good DH spots but access is a problem. The best (near to AKL) is Rotorua (06 World Champs were held there) which is about a three hour drive. They have some big hills and offer a shuttle service.

If you will have transport, I'd say Auckland or Hamilton (as its also close to Rotorua)
    No transport go Wellington. Great riding in the city limits.

websites;

www.vorb.org.nz
    www.mountainbike.co.nz
    http://nzride.graphicfood.com/index.php
    www.freeridin.co.nz
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtmtb
    Riding in Wellington is awesome
    Hamilton is pretty good
    Palmeston North is flat
    Albany (Auckland) is pretty good.

I am an Aucklander. We have pretty good stuff, two or three good DH spots but access is a problem. The best (near to AKL) is Rotorua (06 World Champs were held there) which is about a three hour drive. They have some big hills and offer a shuttle service.

If you will have transport, I'd say Auckland or Hamilton (as its also close to Rotorua)
    No transport go Wellington. Great riding in the city limits.

websites;

www.vorb.org.nz
    www.mountainbike.co.nz
    http://nzride.graphicfood.com/index.php
    www.freeridin.co.nz
    is the wellington riding DH and FR stuff? I'll be down for some XC but I'd rather just hike and shuttle, Off Topic but what do you think of those cities, I'm a small town guy, and wellingtons popluation just seemed overwhelming. same with hamilton and auckland

Professional Troll
    hey you are me 6 months ago!!! i came to christchurch, dh-ing is awezome but ive gotten hurt a lot cause i suckzors :'(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    hey you are me 6 months ago!!! i came to christchurch, dh-ing is awezome but ive gotten hurt a lot cause i suckzors :'(
    had a good time though?

Professional Troll
    id do it again.
    edit:
    kiwi's are awezome and even awezome-er to ride with

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Wellywood

is the wellington riding DH and FR stuff? I'll be down for some XC
    A bit of everything.
    Off Topic but what do you think of those cities, I'm a small town guy, and wellingtons popluation just seemed overwhelming. same with hamilton and auckland
    If that's the case, suggest you avoid Auckland -- it's big and difficult to get around (you need a car to get anywhere, and traffic can be pretty bad). Welly is compact and has a cosy yet vibrant feel to it (quite windy though). Know Hamilton the least of the three; have heard it gets cold in winter (still not as cold as Duniden I presume, but maybe more humid?)

If you're also into rock climbing, then Chch is where you wanna be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Best bet for you would be Wellington, not to big to be that overwhelming, not so small that you get bored. Plenty of grest DH/FR and a **** load of other stuff to do.
    Avoid Palmerston North and Hamilton, riding is ok in Hamilton but its got little else going for it.
    RP Ninja

trail fairy
    Lickqid Hey, I'm thinking about studying abroad in New Zealand next year and was wondering what the biking scene was like? The locations I could study at are the University of Waikato in Hamilton, or any of the Massey University locations (Palmerston North, Wellington, and Albany).
    s the wellington riding DH and FR stuff? I'll be down for some XC but I'd rather just hike and shuttle, Off Topic but what do you think of those cities, I'm a small town guy, and wellingtons popluation just seemed overwhelming. same with hamilton and auckland
    If you come to NZ you'll have plenty of offers to hook up and get around but you still really need a vechicle otherwise you will be severely limited.

Riding in Wellington is awesome but is a difficult place to get around and can be a hard place to break into.

Hamilton is pretty good its central to allot of places can be pretty quite compared to AK and Welly but probably has the more small town feel youre looking for outta all these places, I don't live there but always find it pretty low key, theres lots of riding, Roto vegas is close, Ak not far away ya have castle rock, taupo, tokoroa, and be easy to make new friends, don't let the numbers scare you its a small large town

Palmeston North is flat, has never done it for me, I think to be fair its a place you'd have to live in to get to like.

Albany (Auckland) is pretty good, lots of riding areas yeah traffic is a biatch and ya definitley need a car again AK can be a little hard to break into just takes time, Uni will help still need a vechicle and also costs are probaly higher here than anywhere else

1 Hamy
    2 Welly
    3 AK
    4 PN
    outta those areas

CH and Dunnes is definitley worth considering if those universities are possibilites.

NZ is a place to just go check out not hole up in one place if ya come get a vechicle hook up with some good dudes who look after each other and enjoy.

Good Journeys
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Professional Troll
    yeha gettin people to shuttle with is so easy. i was biking on my way to go shuttle with some peope, and some people pulled over and were like hey, u need a ride for shuttling? and im like yeah sure sweet. and plus i bet the school with have an mtb club and they'll run shuttles and what not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeha gettin people to shuttle with is so easy. i was biking on my way to go shuttle with some peope, and some people pulled over and were like hey, u need a ride for shuttling? and im like yeah sure sweet. and plus i bet the school with have an mtb club and they'll run shuttles and what not.

hey lehr told me about your injuries....how're you healing?
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

mtbr remember
    hey Lickqid, you wouldn't happen to be an NMU student? anyway, I'd love to go to New Zealand (probably more for travels and freedom than for studies, but hey, whatever gets you there). Have you thought about how you will get your bike there???
    Schralp it Heavy.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockcromo
    hey lehr told me about your injuries....how're you healing?
    he he, well the shoulder's alright, just needs some weight lifting. which i cant do till i get the cast off my hand in a week and a half.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    hey Lickqid, you wouldn't happen to be an NMU student? anyway, I'd love to go to New Zealand (probably more for travels and freedom than for studies, but hey, whatever gets you there). Have you thought about how you will get your bike there???
    pack it up, bring it on the plane as extra luggage. Cost me 80 to get the bike to NZ, and then another 80 from aukland to christchurch. p.s. school is much less demanding here. you'll have plenty of time to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    hey, not an NMU student, michigan Tech student, close though. Riding in marquette is amazing, i spent all day sunday hitting the mountain, then headed over to Benson once the lifts closed.

mtbr member
    is the wellington riding DH and FR stuff? I'll be down for some XC but I'd rather just hike and shuttle, Off Topic but what do you think of those cities, I'm a small town guy, and wellingtons popluation just seemed overwhelming. same with hamilton and auckland
    You'll find all kinds of riding everywhere. Best XC around has to be Rotorua.

Thats funny, I think of Wellington and Hamilton as "small towns". Wellington is only 300K.

Auckland is 1m + plus really, its a pretty "small town" in the scheme of things.

Dont be daunted, think of it as expanding your life experience. Wellington and Auckland have great music / club scenes.

You'll dig. NZ is a really great place to to live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz
    A bit of everything.

If that's the case, suggest you avoid Auckland -- it's big and difficult to get around (you need a car to get anywhere, and traffic can be pretty bad). Welly is compact and has a cosy yet vibrant feel to it (quite windy though). Know Hamilton the least of the three; have heard it gets cold in winter (still not as cold as Duniden I presume, but maybe more humid?)

If you're also into rock climbing, then Chch is where you wanna be.
    yeah yeah whatever, dont listen to non-aucklanders, they are inherently biased due to the deep-seated jealousy they have . Aucklanders on the other hand are more than happy to recommend any place as we tend to be more "ahem" travelled .......ouch

Dont listen to me, im just trying to wind up some non-jafa's

JAFA - Just another farken Aucklander.

mtbr member
    pack it up, bring it on the plane as extra luggage. Cost me 80 to get the bike to NZ, and then another 80 from aukland to christchurch. p.s. school is much less demanding here. you'll have plenty of time to ride.
    wait, school is less demanding there??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtmtb
    You'll find all kinds of riding everywhere. Best XC around has to be Rotorua.

Thats funny, I think of Wellington and Hamilton as "small towns". Wellington is only 300K.

Auckland is 1m + plus really, its a pretty "small town" in the scheme of things.

Dont be daunted, think of it as expanding your life experience. Wellington and Auckland have great music / club scenes.

You'll dig. NZ is a really great place to to live.
    I live/grew up in a town of 7K, so 300K seems huge!

Members who have read this thread: 0