New Wheelset Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New Wheelset Advice

I know its covered 100 times, but I have been off the bike for weeks with stupid wrist injuries (A tree grew in-front of me I swear!) And I want to cheer myself up!

So far reading other threads I have been looking at the following options:
    • Syncros DS32 wheelset, cheap and sturdy but a bit heavy.
    • Hadly Hubs onto 823's Going to cost a fortune to get them built up in the Uk so would have to import them already built, and finding somewhere to do that in another country isnt fun!
    • Hope Pro 2 onto 823's Seems to be winning the price/performance ratio at the moment.
    • Deemax, seem really overpriced but everyone uses them, so I have to look at them!
    • DT swiss FR wheelset, I like the DT stuff, but reviews on here seem very mixed
    • Crank Bros Opium, Look cool as feck, but are they worth the money over some handbuilt 823's?

Is there anything else I should look at? I have gone for the 823 just incase I want to try tubeless at some point.

mtbr member
    i have dt swiss fr 600s on my v10 i bought them this year and havent any problems and im running tubless minions and there super strong there not heavy and they look good on my bike and they werent to badly priced but i already had some hadley hubs
    keep the rubber side down!!

mtbr member
    If you're looking at deemax's, take a look at crossmax sx's. they may sacrifice a little durability, but they are around half the price.

mtbr member
    If you can swing it and plan on running them for a long time then out of what you have listed go hadleys on823.... been se real guys on here using them for years I just built a set laced to 721s and so far they are solid. Im coming of i9s for the last 3 years figured it was time to mix it up a little.....

So my vote goes for hadley /mavic
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have Hope/823 on my DH and Hope/Sun on AM. No problems the past two seasons. Alot of friends run either the Hadleys or the Hopes with the 823's or Suns. No problems there either.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    If you can swing it and plan on running them for a long time then out of what you have listed go hadleys on823.... been se real guys on here using them for years I just built a set laced to 721s and so far they are solid. Im coming of i9s for the last 3 years figured it was time to mix it up a little.....

So my vote goes for hadley /mavic
    How did you like the I9's? Any big pro's or cons? Are you happier with your new wheel set?

meow meow
    no imput but where can you get syncros wheels cheap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801
    How did you like the I9's? Any big pro's or cons? Are you happier with your new wheel set?
    Sorry I replied earlier via the droid and apparently it didnt go through...

I will be getting another set of I9s as another race wheelset, after 3 years and red ses, blue and black sets I love those wheels for sure...
    I will put the Hadley right there with them as far as feel and quality, theres more pionts of engagement on the I9s but as far as ripping it up they both are SOLID sets... Id have NO ISSUES at all about building another set of hadleys up... I had to break the cycle and get back to trying stuff and with a grain of salt as usuall I went into it knowing I was coming off I9s so it set a HIGH standard... Hadleys kick @$$ for sure...

Either way you cant go wrong Im doing another build on my 2011 Jedi so Ill have to match the bits with the wheelset or else it would have Hadleys... Ill swap between the sets rfom bike to bike and spikes to intermediate tires...

SO in short Hadleys are a solid hub, I impressed and love mine... I9s same thing either way you cant go wrong.....
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    b-kul, jungle products are the UK importers of syncros, they are next door to my lbs where I get some discount ;-)

So I guess my next question is, can anyone reccomend a good wheel builder in the US where I can get some Hadleys built up? I guess it will be a phone call and mastercard job

mtbr member
    Bikebling.com (escondido california) they have a LARGE selection of hadleys and rims as well as hadleys not too far from there .... rob that builds the wheels builds mine and used to do all the wheels for intenses dh team in temecula.... hell of a builder.......
    Last edited by bullcrew; 12-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com build some great wheels and is has even better prices.
    I believe he is a one man shop so it may take him a while to get back to you, but it will be worth the wait.

Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the feed back BullCrew, I appreciate it, I am pretty sure I9's are gonna be my next wheel set.

Get in touch with the guys at Go-Ride.com. They are meticulous in their servicing of bikes and wheel builds. I am sure they have shipping down too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the input guys, in the end i have given up on using Hadleys, it was going to cost more than a set of DeeMax Ultimates to get them into the uk with 15% Import duty then 20% Tax on them!
    I have just ordered Hope Pro 2's onto 823's with DT Comp spokes and Prolock nipples. Now I just have to wait until the new year for them to arrive :-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the new industry nine dh wheel they sell. its light and their spokes are bmx burly. oh they also look sick and have no spokes, my first choice. other wise the deemax, i dont think i would lace another wheel unless some one made a hub that ran a straight spoke.

mtbr member
    The only thing good about the Deemax wheels is the warranty. I'm on my third set now. They sure like to fall apart for me, but they keep giving me new ones. I'm never down for more than a day, I can live with that. I'm wondering how many I have to go through before they no longer honor their warranty for me. The rims are awesome, the hubs on he other hand...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdo1982
    [*]Hadly Hubs onto 823's Going to cost a fortune to get them built up in the Uk so would have to import them already built, and finding somewhere to do that in another country isnt fun!
    Universal Cycles can build these. If I remember right, they priced out to about $825 US.

I'm working out some builds and trying to find a wheelset too. Trying to decide if I want to build a set of Hadly/823's or just get the Deemax set.

mtbr member
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0