new to urban riding, a few questions for the masses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. new to urban riding, a few questions for the masses

Hey there, I'm riding an 03 Specialized Hardrock Comp that I've logged about 2000 miles on in the past year and a half. It's been good to me, barring the components going to hell in a handbasket (I just replaced the back wheel three days ago), and I had it set up for rough XC and trail riding, as well as a commuter (to/from school). Now i'm saving up for a new bike that i can use for everything from XC to trail to urban to light freeride. Looks like i'll be getting the new 05 rockhopper comp (very nice paint job too, for $730), but until then I want to be doing lots more urban riding. I'm 15, weigh around 130 lbs, and 5'7". Can anyone give me some good tips for urban riding? I'm looking to hit up stairs, stair gaps, loading docks, etc. Probably nothing over 8 ft to flat...help would be greatly appreciated! Anyone care to offer their wisdom?

Aron

mtbr member
    Don't land to flat, im sure you could find something that has a sloped landing, otherwise make sure your back tire lands first and ease your bike down
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

ride hard
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockmtn
    Hey there, I'm riding an 03 Specialized Hardrock Comp that I've logged about 2000 miles on in the past year and a half. It's been good to me, barring the components going to hell in a handbasket (I just replaced the back wheel three days ago), and I had it set up for rough XC and trail riding, as well as a commuter (to/from school). Now i'm saving up for a new bike that i can use for everything from XC to trail to urban to light freeride. Looks like i'll be getting the new 05 rockhopper comp (very nice paint job too, for $730), but until then I want to be doing lots more urban riding. I'm 15, weigh around 130 lbs, and 5'7". Can anyone give me some good tips for urban riding? I'm looking to hit up stairs, stair gaps, loading docks, etc. Probably nothing over 8 ft to flat...help would be greatly appreciated! Anyone care to offer their wisdom?

Aron
    biek control in midair is important. just cuz its a drop, doesnt mean that you can get away with being limp. instead of letting the bike fall to the landing, guide it there.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

Yo Paseo El Scream
    don't buy a rockhopper for flat drops. If i were you i would save up for something a little beefier like a p. For advice all i have to say is be smooth and absorb those flat drops.
    Ride On
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Just Ride
    if you wanna be a good at urban dont just look for drops and crap. be creative and look for gaps (not just stair gaps and stuff though) i used to just go out and throw my self off stairs and big drops but it killed my bike quickly but i relized it was nearly as cool as learning some cool bmx tricks and playing around with trialsy stuff. more impressive too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    if you wanna be a good at urban dont just look for drops and crap. be creative and look for gaps (not just stair gaps and stuff though) i used to just go out and throw my self off stairs and big drops but it killed my bike quickly but i relized it was nearly as cool as learning some cool bmx tricks and playing around with trialsy stuff. more impressive too.
    I've been playing around with trials stuff and a few tricks lately, just practicing balancing and hopping on to/off stuff. I even managed to pull a nicely styled tailwhip at the end of the last XC race. In answer to the rockhopper thing, I would spring for a P. bike but I need a bike that'll be nice and light for XC and strong for almost anything else. After I get the new ride, I'll be upgrading the Hardrock to be my pseudo-FR bike. I'm also currently looking for a decent job that I can work on the weekends, any recommendations on jobs for a 15-yr old?

Trials Superstar
    I've been playing around with trials stuff and a few tricks lately, just practicing balancing and hopping on to/off stuff. I even managed to pull a nicely styled tailwhip at the end of the last XC race. In answer to the rockhopper thing, I would spring for a P. bike but I need a bike that'll be nice and light for XC and strong for almost anything else. After I get the new ride, I'll be upgrading the Hardrock to be my pseudo-FR bike. I'm also currently looking for a decent job that I can work on the weekends, any recommendations on jobs for a 15-yr old?
    Man, cut some grass! hmmm...your bike is going to die! Maybe if you hook us up with a spec list or pics we, or at least I, can give you some advice. How big is your frame? I went urban riding last night with a guy on a 19.5" Trek XC bike, and the large frame was holding him back big time. So i let him ride my fully rigid Steelhead and he was a hella good. Hmm..you do trials? Just remeber to wear shinguards because trying to lurch and then have you pedal slip really sucks into your shin..(damn shinburgers). Well anyway, good luck, and try www.trialsonline.com for some little vids we have put together for tricks...
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

spec list and pics

here's the spec list and some pics of my 03 Specialized Hardrock Comp:

Frame: 15" black Hardrock Comp
    Fork: Rock Shox Judy TT, 80mm travel (piece of sh** jackhammer)
    Brakes: Shimano V-brakes (tektro linear pull or something other) with Acera levers
    F Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    R Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Shift levers: Shimano Acera RapidFire Trigger shifters
    Cassette: Shimano 8-speed 11-32t
    Chain: been replaced so many times...not even sure
    Crankset: Truvativ X-Forge (one pieced piece of crap, can't even add a bashguard!)
    Chainrings: Cro-mo 42x32x22s (replaceable, bent all three at once before and had to replace)
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ piece of crap, needs to be replaced badly
    Wheels: Alexa DM-20 26x1.5 (front), brand new Shimano Deore Disc w/ Rhynolite Rim (back)
    Tires: Maxxis XC (26x2.1) freebie up front, Specialized Enduro Sport with hardly any knobs left (26x2.0) in back
    Seat post: Alloy 30.9mm
    Bars: Kore flat bar on some days and Specialized rise bar for others
    Seat: Selle Italia blue saddle (not sure of the name, got it on sale off a demo bike)
    Pedals: an assortment to choose from---Mallet C's (current), Candy SL's, Primo Tenderizers, Aluminum pedals w/ toeclips, Shimano SPD's

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

oops! here's the pics

1st is a pic from a race during the summer

2nd is a pic from the Specialized site of the stock bike...sorry but can't find any other pics at the moment
    Attached Images Attached Images

go big or go home
    1st is a pic from a race during the summer

2nd is a pic from the Specialized site of the stock bike...sorry but can't find any other pics at the moment
    another xc rider in the forum...

Can I be Sancho instead?
    I'm seeing alot of parallels here.
    1. My name is Aaron.
    2. I ride Urban
    3. I own a Rockhopper.
    4. I've made love with my cousin. (not really)

Yeah, although i do my urban on a rockhopper(HT), i wouldn't suggest buying one for solely urban. It has handled everything that i've thrown at it, ok, well...just the frame has. I've had to replace the stock fork (only after having it for 3 months) and then the wheelset.

I myself am saving to puchase a P.2. I've rode one at an LBS, the thing seems to be alot more stout than my RH ever has. It's a wee bit heavier, but barely noticeable, and i'm almost sure it'll take a beating.

As rigidone said...shin guards are a must...unless you like seeing bone.

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I've attached a photo of my current ride (back in august), however, it's now in pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schmeow Productions
    i think u should look into the marin axc series.

my rocky ridge has handled everything i've thrown at it!

Kill that $hit!

For the love of God.......

For the love of God......... Dont waste your hard earned money on a Hardrock. Take the time to save up a little more money and get somthing that will stay with you while your learning curve goes up. My wife bought her first mountain bike (the same exact Hardrock your speaking of and against my personal warning), and even SHE was pissed off for downselling herself w/in the first year. She ended up turning it into a commuter bike and bought a Kona Roast, which is a great all round bike....Urban/jump/HT Freeride etc. for the price. Seriously, take the time to save up the extra money and shop around. There's a whole nother world outside of Specialized. You'll be much happier in the long run.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    As a former poor college kid who used an "XC" bike as an part-time urban/trials machine back in the day when "XC" was more commonly referred to as "mountain biking" and DH rigs with 5-6" of travel were extreme, I feel your pain. They will hold up to a degree if you stay within your limits and avoid weight-weenie type parts, but they still will fail far more often than you like. Monthly rear-wheel and fork-rebuild expenses can add up pretty quick.

There's really no point in buying a super-budget XC rig if you're doing a lot of urban stuff. Keep the Hardcock as the commuter, and then find a good used FR hardtail for the serious work.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Just Ride
    get a job in a bike shop. thats definlty your best bet. just start as a shop b!tch and start learning about bikes and everything then once you've worked there long enough. use all the money you've earned from it and pro deal (cost of bike minus 20-30%.) its really the only reason people work at bike shops. you probally wont get payed a whole lot to start but you'll learn about bikes a ton and be able to get your new rig for dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys...and on the note of being a shop b!tch, I'm probably going to pose the question of that sometime in the next week or so. My LBS has me on a racing sponsorship at the moment, so they're pushing lighter, racier rigs at me (XC to the max). I'm now looking at the Surly Instigator or maybe the Banshee Scirocco...anyone have experience with either of these bikes? I'm pretty sure they can stand up to whatever I can throw at em, but will it be possible to build them up so that I can still race XC with them? Otherwise, looks like the Rockhopper is in my future...

mtbr member
    Garry fishers aren't bad for XC. Like the others, save up and get like a P3 or something and covert to tubless

gnar, brah
    If you are a sponsored racer, shouldn't you get a good deal on a XC bike? I'd get an XC race bike then save up for a Urban rig. If you want to do Urban in the meantime get a cheap BMX bike. I can't think of anything that would be real good for both XC and Urban. Santa Cruz Chameleon maybe? Anyway, I think you need two seperate bikes man.