The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw

This is close up pics of the new Demo,

in the raw........lol Got YA!

Demo 7 in the raw and some modifications...

This is the result of about 30$ of paint stripper and superfine sandpaper. I've always hated the color of my 07 Demo 7 and have always wanted to paint it but I didn't have the time to do so.

I thought I'd give stripping it a shot and I'm very happy. I did a bit of sanding to get out cable rub and rough portions of the bare frame. I went a little crazy and did the brake levers, rims, and shock spring too. I'm going to have to watch the spring for rust I forgot steel could rust,(I didn't think of that b4 I sprayed it), but I have a little bit of lube on there to keep the rust at bay + I live in Socal= the land of little rain. I'm loving the rims, sooo shiny, I looove shiny things,,,,,My Precious!!!

So,, whaddddya think?

Ten points if anyone can spot the custom area of the frame......I did a little modding....

Oh and for you gram counters out there, the front triangle lost about 9 grams, so I think the 100-150 gram weight savings estimates out there are unfounded, I would guess about 25 grams for the whole frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-001.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-005.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-006.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-007.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-009.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-010.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-012.jpg  

The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-raw-demo-016.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looks pretty good. Looks like there were some cable hangers or something on the front tube that you ground off? You should just get that spring re-powder coated in a different color...one that complements the bare aluminum frame. Otherwise, regardless of living in sunny SoCal, it'll eventually rust. While you're at it, get the rear linkage re-anodized as well. The bronze looks a bit out of place. I think they'd both look good in a gunmental grey color...

Glad to Be Alive
    looks awesome...paint the linkage black too...brown throws it off ....black will bring it all in...frame looks t its
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Ding Ding Ding

Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk
    Looks pretty good. Looks like there were some cable hangers or something on the front tube that you ground off? You should just get that spring re-powder coated in a different color...one that complements the bare aluminum frame. Otherwise, regardless of living in sunny SoCal, it'll eventually rust. While you're at it, get the rear linkage re-anodized as well. The bronze looks a bit out of place. I think they'd both look good in a gunmental grey color...

Yeah, cut off the downtube cable guides, now I'm THAT much faster, at least in the wind tunnel the differance is quite noticeable, LQTM (laughing quietly to myself)
    I'm GNARcissistic

Ancient Chinese Secret
    That's cool. Same color scheme as my VP Free, except I went with the black Totem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The New Specialized Demo, OHHHHHH Raw-pitch2.jpg

Looks great. It's such a huge improvement on the original paint. I did the same to my yellow Pitch. I painted the rocker black with Tremclad rust paint and am happy with the results. I also made new stickers.

V-Shaped Rut
    Great improvement. The paint job was crap and you did the world a favor.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by DWDW
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitch2.jpg 
Views:	3610 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	548050

Looks great. It's such a huge improvement on the original paint. I did the same to my yellow Pitch. I painted the rocker black with Tremclad rust paint and am happy with the results. I also made new stickers.
    happy to see someone else rockin eggbeaters on a bigger bike.

Bike Ninja |||
    Bye Bye lifetime Warranty!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Bye Bye lifetime Warranty!
    I'd be hard pressed to break this frame, if I crack a chainstay I'll just buy A new one. Getting a frame in the raw was a option in the past, not sure if it's still is now.
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    I'd be hard pressed to break this frame, if I crack a chainstay I'll just buy A new one. Getting a frame in the raw was a option in the past, not sure if it's still is now.
    I totally agree. The likelihood of breaking these frames is low enough to take the chance. Plus, following manufacturers directions to retain warranty status is too limiting (like having the shop swap pivot bearings). You own the bike, do whatever you want with it.

It's funny though, there is always a guy who points out the warranty thing whenever there is a thread about making a frame raw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm liking the looks of that spring, might have to try that out. You think a couple layers of clear coat after will do the job, preventing rust? I have a bottle of paint stripper and clear laying around, very tempting.

mtbr member
    Over the last few years, Ive had to use warranty on two different bikes. I like warranty.

the test dummy
    sick!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    I'm liking the looks of that spring, might have to try that out. You think a couple layers of clear coat after will do the job, preventing rust? I have a bottle of paint stripper and clear laying around, very tempting.
    I used a zip tie around the coils to scrape the paint off cause it's hard to reach the inside spring areas.
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Over the last few years, Ive had to use warranty on two different bikes. I like warranty.
    You might not think so if you had to ride around on an ugly specialized paint job bike

Seriously though, In 19 years, I've warrantied 1 frame, and that was in the early 90's when weight-weenieism was the mainstream trend. I'm not saying it can't happen, just saying it's unlikely (btw, I weigh 140lbs).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

^my attempt

All the stripper did was take off the gloss, I had to use a wire wheel and muscle the paint off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    looks so much better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail

^my attempt

All the stripper did was take off the gloss, I had to use a wire wheel and muscle the paint off.
    I assume it was black before? Looks good. The wire wheel must have been a pain in the ass!
    I posted this In the specialized forums and sombody mentioned chemically removing the brown anodization with oven cleaner or draino. Anyone ever tried this with good results.
    I'm GNARcissistic

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    I assume it was black before? Looks good. The wire wheel must have been a pain in the ass!
    I posted this In the specialized forums and sombody mentioned chemically removing the brown anodization with oven cleaner or draino. Anyone ever tried this with good results.
    Oven cleaner and a wire brush will take the anodizing off. I've done it to bmx stems and a few sprockets too. I used the Easy Off oven cleaner, sprayed it on, let it sit for 15min, brushed it with a wire/stiff plastic bristle brush, rinsed and be done(may take more than one time).

Members who have read this thread: 1