New RS DJ fork Argyle- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    crumb
    Reputation: saviorself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    890

    New RS DJ fork Argyle

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2006-S...ct-Launch.html


    The Argyle features:
    100mm of travel (adjustable using all-travel spacers)
    Aluminum steerer for light weight (Steel for 318 and 302 models)
    Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum crown
    32mm 4130 taper wall steel upper tubes for the best combination of stiffness and strength to weith.
    Magnesium lowers with increase of material at the brace which keeps your fork stuff when you come up short
    Maxle 360 which now allows you to position the lever where ever you want






  2. #2
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Sick. Rockshox is really stepping it up.

  3. #3
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    me want teh green one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    100% Cheesy Goodness
    Reputation: sortafast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    489
    hopefully its not a boat anchor like the DJ series from marzocchi. But steel stantions never=light weight.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,282
    wow, i thunk i need to change my pants

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: standard235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    Steel stanchions never mean light weight but they don't wear as much. My MZ Comp's stanchions wore down.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    those are sick, lots of riders at the SOC dj comp were riding that fork like Chris Smith and some others. the maxle 360 is great, because on my pike i can only use the maxle in one position if i want it tite. this is a DJ specific fork obviously?

  8. #8
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    those are sick, lots of riders at the SOC dj comp were riding that fork like Chris Smith and some others. the maxle 360 is great, because on my pike i can only use the maxle in one position if i want it tite. this is a DJ specific fork obviously?
    look at the title.


    but nvm, i'll keep my pike, this thing looks pretty damn heavy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5
    yeah the marzocchi are crappola. whats the comparision between the 888 and these puppies

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by ]{ing Sceater
    whats the comparision between the 888 and these puppies
    uuuhhh.. i dont know what to say, im baffled by your question

  11. #11
    high school loser
    Reputation: nobody242424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    um, eewwww....
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

    98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

  12. #12
    RM7
    RM7 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    uuuhhh.. i dont know what to say, im baffled by your question

    My thoughts exactly...........

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    look at the title.


    but nvm, i'll keep my pike, this thing looks pretty damn heavy.

    lol shut up

    ya i agree, i like my PIKE much more, more versital and probably more adjustable. the pike works for any type of riding, it's cool they made a DJ specific fork but the pike or reba both already fit the need for one

  14. #14
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by ]{ing Sceater
    yeah the marzocchi are crappola. whats the comparision between the 888 and these puppies
    you are obviously in no position to call marzocchi's "crapola" if you ask that question, even as a joke. marzochhi's are tight and if marzocchi came out with a "light" or lighter DJ fork, it would be mine.


    only reason i got the pike was because it was lighter than both my jumper and dj proto franken fork thing and was the right price. no offense to RS or anything, but this fork seems unnecceacry and repedetive.... just come up with a cheaper version of the pike, i mean hell i still don't know how to work mine (the race verson).

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653
    how can a fork seem repetitive? lol

    and if you dont know how to work it.. why dont you read the manual?

  16. #16
    100% Cheesy Goodness
    Reputation: sortafast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    just come up with a cheaper version of the pike, i mean hell i still don't know how to work mine (the race verson).
    Just turn knobs till stuff happens, thats all i did on mine. Then remember what you did, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    if its over 4.5 pounds will thinks its homosexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  18. #18
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    if its over 4.5 pounds will thinks its homosexual.
    shutit willie, just cuz you got a float or w/e


    and no more referring to yourself in the 3rd person anymore or else it will make you become ahack wif no skeelz who can huck large.



    but i agree, it is homosexual. lolzies.




  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: standard235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    homosexual... says the one who said "lolzies"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    homosexual... says the one who said "lolzies"
    haha...

  21. #21
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    the argyle is designed to be an economical DJ fork. the pike was never intended as a DJ or urban fork anyways. but yeah the argyle is their cheaper version, its not ment to replace the pike by anymeans, its jsut made for peoples runnning 20mm hubs who dont wanna shell out the dough for a pike. think marzocchi z1 vs drop off....

  22. #22
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    homosexual... says the one who said "lolzies"
    you haven't been here long enough to know.

  23. #23
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    how can a fork seem repetitive? lol

    and if you dont know how to work it.. why dont you read the manual?
    there is already a pike, used ones if your cheap.

    i got mine used because i am cheap, hence no manual!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653
    yeah I need to find a used one this summer

    as long as the stanchions arent scratched I could care less.. get er rebuilt and shes as good as new

    but i do beleive rockshox has an online version of the pike manual

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    you haven't been here long enough to know.
    yes. I dont post here much anymore cuase "teh interweb is gay" but i still own you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    the argyle is designed to be an economical DJ fork. the pike was never intended as a DJ or urban fork anyways. but yeah the argyle is their cheaper version, its not ment to replace the pike by anymeans, its jsut made for peoples runnning 20mm hubs who dont wanna shell out the dough for a pike. think marzocchi z1 vs drop off....

    i am not disagreeing with you, but do you know how much the argyle is going to cost? from what RS says it doesn't sounds too economical to me. they said "This fork provides dirt jumpers with everything they need. This is not an entry level fork but a high end fork geared toward the performance dirt jump market." just sounds like they expect to be making about as much as marz or manitou make from their high end DJ lines, which can be pretty spendy. as i said not arguing or disagreeing even just putting that out there.

    also when i said that the pike and reba models fit the bill for the DJ market, i was just saying that those two forks are already working great for DJers even though they are not really specific for DJ'n. but that is part of the beauty of both models, how adjustable they are. this is kind of one of those situations where it is like "it's not broken so why fix it?" although i do understand why RS would want to throw another fork into the market since their other forks are doing so well.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misctwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,034
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    i am not disagreeing with you, but do you know how much the argyle is going to cost? from what RS says it doesn't sounds too economical to me. they said "This fork provides dirt jumpers with everything they need. This is not an entry level fork but a high end fork geared toward the performance dirt jump market." just sounds like they expect to be making about as much as marz or manitou make from their high end DJ lines, which can be pretty spendy. as i said not arguing or disagreeing even just putting that out there.

    also when i said that the pike and reba models fit the bill for the DJ market, i was just saying that those two forks are already working great for DJers even though they are not really specific for DJ'n. but that is part of the beauty of both models, how adjustable they are. this is kind of one of those situations where it is like "it's not broken so why fix it?" although i do understand why RS would want to throw another fork into the market since their other forks are doing so well.
    RS is def. stepping it up....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    the most expensive Argyle is 5.25 lbs, about a pound more than 454 Pike Air u-turn. I still like the looks of it though. I just dont like the silver stantions, the pikes stantions are better looking to me. But also the the Argyle doesn't have big knobs in the way that could interfere with frames (x-ups, barspins). Overall pretty sweet fork. Does anyone know the weight of Marzocchi Dirtjumpers, just as a comparison?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobsterCraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Does anyone know the weight of Marzocchi Dirtjumpers, just as a comparison?
    2710 g. or 5.97lbs with an uncut steertube. Its a difference, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I went from a 80mm Fox Float RL to a 2006 Marzocchi DJ1. The weight difference was pretty astronomical, but when it came to actual feel, The only differences was the stiffness and plushness of travel. I can't bunny hop too high, but then again I never could. I think Marzocchi new what they were doing when they made sure that their DJ forks were tough enough for the less successful DJ sessions. In the meantime, I will wait for the Marz DJ SL. A fork breaking on a cased jump doesn't sound at all appealing to me, and I cannot afford the extra protection of a dickies hat. The Argyle looks like a winner to me.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flatulentfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    467
    i have always hated teh "shiny" stanchions. They just look low-tech or something. black like marz or the nice matte sort of look on fox looks so much better. i know this isnt a performance thing, oh well. I like my stuff to look good.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobsterCraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,417
    I see what you mean about the shiny stansions, probably because all the crap forks on walmart bikes have em.

  33. #33
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    i am not disagreeing with you, but do you know how much the argyle is going to cost? from what RS says it doesn't sounds too economical to me. they said "This fork provides dirt jumpers with everything they need. This is not an entry level fork but a high end fork geared toward the performance dirt jump market." just sounds like they expect to be making about as much as marz or manitou make from their high end DJ lines, which can be pretty spendy. as i said not arguing or disagreeing even just putting that out there.

    also when i said that the pike and reba models fit the bill for the DJ market, i was just saying that those two forks are already working great for DJers even though they are not really specific for DJ'n. but that is part of the beauty of both models, how adjustable they are. this is kind of one of those situations where it is like "it's not broken so why fix it?" although i do understand why RS would want to throw another fork into the market since their other forks are doing so well.

    hmm, you may be right. last i heard was that it was meant to be a cheaper pike with less adjustments. but yeah im not entirely sure. i cant even remeber where i read taht.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    hmmm ya i am not diggin the shiny stantions either...if i had to pick between this, the gold label, or a dj1 i would pick.....my pike!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    i <3 my float

    eff this fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  36. #36
    New project, TBA shortly
    Reputation: dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    i have always hated teh "shiny" stanchions. They just look low-tech or something. black like marz or the nice matte sort of look on fox looks so much better. i know this isnt a performance thing, oh well. I like my stuff to look good.
    FYI, coloring steel stanchions doesn't work too well, as the color will wear off (notice any of the stance forks from '05). the fork makers learned, and just polished them instead. function over form.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.