new Rocket, need tips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

new Rocket, need tips

Big brown truck paid me a visit yesterday. Joy. Looking for some tuning tips for the DHX5. Never ridden one and would like a good starting point that I can fine tune from. (I weigh 175) Thanks.

- still waiting on fork and brakes, will post pics when she's ready to be de-flowered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A quick search yeilds these (which I have since saved to bookmarks):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...tup+shock+coil
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=157791

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=216616
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=213727
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=182164

If you are bigger, make sure to keep with El C and BikeZ's commentary!

Enjoy - I lub my DeeAchEx

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    very helpful. Thx.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    beutiful frame- what is it? transition?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yessir.

mtbr member
    i love the green the bottlerocket comes in, but that is just bad ass!!
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

mtbr member
    Yeah those frames are sick. I like them in black.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Glad to Be Alive
    man that looks nice....take some mothers polish to it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

AW_
    locked - time out
    I am approximately the same weight as you on a BR w/ DHX coil. I use a 450# coil, w/ maybe two turns of preload. I don't really like to use much platform, so I run the boost valve pressure fairly low (~100 psi), propedal all the way out. BO turned most of the way in... started with it wide open... felt it bottom out a few times... kept turning it in until bottoming out was not so noticable. I set the rebound depending on the terrain. Most of the terrain here is smooth so I set the rebound slow... it is usually set up for one hit then sticky-icky on the landing. Sweet bike, you'll dig it. Post more pics when it gets built up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for all the tips.

Will give a report when she's been ridden the way she should be roden, or something.

Bottlerockin'
    that is a SICK bike. thats the 'raw' color correct? I think im gonna order mine within a month or so. how was shipping...take a while? or did you go to a lbs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, my LBS was (is) in Hickory, NC. (I live in Richmond, VA) I called them up on Sat., got the last raw med. They shipped it on Mon, got it on Tue. MAD MAD props to Mike Swanson at Clark's Bike Center in Hickory. Super cool guy.

They have a few more BRs in stock and lots of Dirt Bags. BR sizes and colors are limited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    whats the frame weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    8 lbs and some change. It's pretty beefy. If I put a ti spring on there I could probably get it below the 8 lb mark. My build is going to be pretty light though (relatively speaking), because I'm old and don't break stuff anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Came in at 36 lbs even.
    • File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (293.4 KB, 361 views)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That is a great looking build. Tell us what the Lyrik is like after you have some time on it.

Bikes Rule
    36lbs even? Nice. Mine was about 40 and I have a similar build. Med frame, Fox Van 36 RC2, Swinger 4-way Coil, Hone cranks, etc...

Maybe my scale is off...I do have a brand new DHX 5.0 Air sitting ready to go. Just waiting for the spacers to come from TBC. Due in on Monday.. That will shave off 400g instantly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

36, yep.

I saved a lot of weight with the tires - Intense XC 2.25 with reg tubes. After one ride on the local trail, I dig them. Would beef them up for more demanding terrain. Also, Thomson everything. ProTapers, MG-1 pedals, XT cranks, Juicy 5s (185), Flite saddle, etc etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just curious, are you using the BR as an all around bike and if you are can you post your inseam measurement and how much seatpost you have exposed when you have it setup to be trail ridden. Thanks,

Bikes Rule
    Yeah I figured the wheels made the biggest difference from mine to yours. I remember that I weighed the bike with my DeeTracks (tankage) and Arrow Ramped Bite 2.7". That alone is probably 2-3lbs heavier than your wheelset.

I have my b/u wheelset on now which is DT FR front/DaBomb rear laced to Single Tracks with Minion 2.35 single-ply. I love the lighter wheelset but always flat with the single-ply when doing anything more than trails. The bike is probably close to 37lbs with that wheelset on.

Then factor in the DHX Air...I should be close to 36.

Oddly my Gran Mal is only 43.5 lbs and it has the 9.5 i-i DHX 5.0 Coil and Boxxer Race. There my weight savings are the FR440 hubs laced to 823 with tubeless. I may build another wheelset with tubeless for the BR...

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Just curious, are you using the BR as an all around bike and if you are can you post your inseam measurement and how much seatpost you have exposed when you have it setup to be trail ridden. Thanks,
    I use my BR as my do-all bike. DH, FR, XC - everything. It is so versatile and I have complete confidence in hitting anything I do with the GM.
    My pant length is a 30", I am about 5-9". Usually for DH and FR I have about 5" of post length. When using for XC I have a ton of post showing. But that is moslty due to the geometry of the bike..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, Demo. I am trying to decide between the Preston and BR. If I go for the Large BR which would give me the TT length I like then I would have about 9-10 inches showing when fully extended. It should work just curious as to other peoples experiences.

East Coast Style
    ur gonna love that fork
    i just got a totem, although theyre different they hve hte same mission control setup. mmm it rides amazing. enjoy heh sick ride
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Thats sick. Good build.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    to MaddSquirrel:

I'm 5.9 and use about two more inches of post than what's in pic for trail riding. At least I did on the maiden voyage, which was a trail. I plan on using the bike for trail/urban/FR/DH.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Author Unknown
    8 lbs and some change. It's pretty beefy. If I put a ti spring on there I could probably get it below the 8 lb mark. My build is going to be pretty light though (relatively speaking), because I'm old and don't break stuff anymore.
    Wow, sounds light. The spec it at "# Frame Weight (without rear shock): 8.1 lbs" which would put the frame + DHX coil at about 10 lbs.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Thanks, Demo. I am trying to decide between the Preston and BR. If I go for the Large BR which would give me the TT length I like then I would have about 9-10 inches showing when fully extended. It should work just curious as to other peoples experiences.
    I wonder what the thinking is behind making the seattube so short? You could never run the seatpost anywhere near all the way down because the seat would hit the tire when the suspension compresses. The super short seattubes make a lot more sense on a hardtail.

≈ > ♥
    It was designed as a slopestyle bike. Low seat, to get your legs over and around easier. Nice for DH trails, too, no seat in the way makes it easy to use body english...

I've run my seat slammed on mine, no contact with tire.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    It was designed as a slopestyle bike. Low seat, to get your legs over and around easier. Nice for DH trails, too, no seat in the way makes it easy to use body english...

I've run my seat slammed on mine, no contact with tire.
    Yeah, I know why it's good, but looking at the pics I'm just surprised that you don't buzz the seat when is slammed all the way. 5.5" of travel kicks the wheel pretty far up. Good to hear it doesn't though.

not really a noob
    nice!
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get Raw

That came out nice. 521s are tough to beat look good w/ raw too. I went to a e13 32Special guide. Works nice for clearance over rocks...
    Couple ?s Is that a Ti flight ? How you liking the Juicy 5s ?
    Me:
    Last edited by greenmacheen; 03-25-2007 at 05:19 AM.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice. Love the "custom" graphics.

Yeah, it's a ti flite. It's on it's last leg. You can't tell from the pic, but it's bent and the left side is torn up pretty good.

The Juicy 5s: they feel great. After break in, there's zero rub or noise. They don't really have the power I expected though. They work fine on the trail, but not so much for stoppies and nose wheelies. I'll probably put a 8" up front.

I've only had two rides, but report card is a solid A. Will probably get the "+" added when I dial in the suspension and hunt down a drivetrain creak. (XTs?)

I'm loving the Lyrik, by the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0