a new rear wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

a new rear wheel

I'm running out of time, as I'm going to Vancouver Island rather soon. I need to pick up a rear wheel on my way out and I have the option to pick one up in Portland, Oregon. I'm consider the Atomlab Pimplite or some Azonic Outlaw, or an Easton Haven for my rear. I've already got a WTB Laserdisc FR front wheel. That being said, I'm on a budget. I don't have the money nor the time to build a bombproof rear wheel, as much as I'd like to. I'm also struggling to find a shop in Portland, but out of the ones I have found that carry wheels that are considered 'good' for the price-point, I have only managed to find the Outlaw, Haven, and Pimplite.
    Unfortunately the shops near me are completely out of stock on a rear wheel durable enough for some freeriding. I managed to get the Laserdisc and now I have to hunt down a rear wheel. I'm considering just searching once I'm on Vancouver Island, as I'm sure there are some out there, but I'd rather not run the risk of getting there and ending up screwed.

this was a poor last minute thing to deal with.

I'm currently looking through this website, as they are the only one in Oregon that I can find that has their inventory listed on their website:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=245

Glad to Be Alive
    try as hard as you can to get it in states....in Canada the prices are way higher

Universal always has great deals ...what is your time frame???(latest day before going over border
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, Universal isn't open on Sunday but will be by 10 AM tomorrow. I can drop in at that time, but I really have to get going as soon as possible as the ferry schedule is at 8 AM Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I don't have my bike with me so I really hope that whatever wheel I do get will be able to fit my Avid Elixir 3 as I have heard of some wheels having a rotor mount that doesn't fit into their caliper.

Another thing is that I need the rear wheel to be able to fit my 10 speed cassette. I got in contact with Fat Tire in Portland but they weren't too helpful and the rear Pimplite that they had was a single speed, according to the person I talked to.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Outlaws are pretty bombproof. Just not so much on the light side of things.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    Outlaws are pretty bombproof. Just not so much on the light side of things.
    I'm not entirely concerned about the weight right now. Just looking for some durable wheels that will be able to take a hell of a beating. Got some Kenda Nevagal 2.5 tires to put on them (I don't tubeless, like many love-oh well) and I'm really looking forward to riding up there. If I have to, I'll dish out money in Vancouver Island- but I'd rather not. I think I may have located a WTB Laserdisc FR rear wheel- I just hope it is in stock right now

mtbr member
    if you're not concerned with weight, then the Outlaws are your ticket for what they cost.
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry