new rear deemax not spinning freely - almost there- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. new rear deemax not spinning freely - almost there

1st off...thanks to all that supplied comments for my installation. Many good tips that helped greatly. Much better than the spotty directions supplied by Mavic.

Now, both wheels are mounted to my Gemini, but when I spin the rear wheel, it does not spin freely "forever." It spins a few times then stops.

Is there a break in period to get these hubs flowing smoothly? I don't want to mess with the bearings because I'm an idiot when it comes to taking hubs apart. Not to mention I have only rode the bike in my driveway.

I am using the solid axle with the BMX style nuts to hold it in place.

Could not find any info in search...so what gives?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    brake drag? they did they spin fine off the bike?

mtbr member

brakes are cool...

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    brake drag? they did they spin fine off the bike?
    no rotor rubbing at all.
    I'm not a hub guy, but it feels like my old rear wheel when the cones were too tight (not sure if I am explaining this correctly). My LBS took the cone wrenches out to work on my old wheel and loosened them up a bit when the wheel spun like sh*t.

This sort of reminds me of that situation.

banned
    Sounds like what happened when I overtightened the hub on my P.1 Cromo.

Loosen it up and when you tighten then, do it in small increments.

bg.
    mtbr member
    I think the obvious thing to check is the preload on the bearings. you can adjust it with the wheel on the bike if it's not too tight. The plastic Mavic tool that doubles as a tire lever is what you use. Unscrew until you feel play, then tighten about 1/4 turn.

I have the same problem on my DeeMax, however I'm using the Saint compatible axle, which seems to have a whole other different set of problems... :-(

mtbr member

preload on bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by bg.
    I think the obvious thing to check is the preload on the bearings. you can adjust it with the wheel on the bike if it's not too tight. The plastic Mavic tool that doubles as a tire lever is what you use. Unscrew until you feel play, then tighten about 1/4 turn.

I have the same problem on my DeeMax, however I'm using the Saint compatible axle, which seems to have a whole other different set of problems... :-(
    yeah I have the tool. So are you saying i should loosen the axle nuts a little before taking the wrench to the hub?

I don't want to F this up...since I have never riden them yet.

The instructions say to let an experienced shop do it. I'm thinking it will probably only take 1/4 turn to loosen...am I oversimplifying the process?

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    yeah I have the tool. So are you saying i should loosen the axle nuts a little before taking the wrench to the hub?

I don't want to F this up...since I have never riden them yet.

The instructions say to let an experienced shop do it. I'm thinking it will probably only take 1/4 turn to loosen...am I oversimplifying the process?
    You'll break the tool before you damage the hub.

I always try to adjust it when it's installed on a bike, but often the "nut" is too tight and won't move unless all load is off, at that point you'd have to loosen the axle nuts and remove the wheel.

You also have to work around the disk, take your time and get to know the angle the tool fits on before really adjusting it. Again, the tool will break if you're too agressive, the little pins will shear right off.

mtbr member

trying tonight.

I always try to adjust it when it's installed on a bike, but often the "nut" is too tight and won't move unless all load is off, at that point you'd have to loosen the axle nuts and remove the wheel.

You also have to work around the disk, take your time and get to know the angle the tool fits on before really adjusting it. Again, the tool will break if you're too agressive, the little pins will shear right off.

I'm going to try the adjustment tonight with the tool.

I'll post results.

mtbr member

Upset yep...broke 2 teeth off the tool...

yep...lost 2 teeth on the tool!
    loosened it a little but it still spins like it's dragging.
    Where do I get a new tool? please don't say I need to call Mavic...
    Do you know what size wrench will fit?

My adjustable wrench does not work at all.

I'm going to ride it like is. There does not seem to be any play in the rear wheel at all.

Glad to Be Alive
    I would take my break pads off and spin it with the BMX nuts not tighten....then I would tighten the BMX nuts

seperating problems to make sure what is the problem
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    I'm going to ride it like is. There does not seem to be any play in the rear wheel at all.
    Probably a good idea, let everything settle in. Check it once a ride.

mtbr member

caliper

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I would take my break pads off and spin it with the BMX nuts not tighten....then I would tighten the BMX nuts

seperating problems to make sure what is the problem
    I realigned the caliper and it works much better now. Seems I have a slightly bent rotor.

Members who have read this thread: 0