Sep 2005

New Nicolai DH-Racebike

Horstlink
    Travel: 220mm
    150x12mm axle
    83mm bb
    shock length: 222mm

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Hmm....nothing new here really, just a tried and true design incorporating the ol' horst link. I think I like it though!

The Beaver
    I like the simple "N" on the side.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    very nice, correct me but is that the vivid?

Glad to Be Alive
    nicetor
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    very nice, correct me but is that the vivid?
    seeing as how it says 'ION' right on the chainstay, i'm guessing no....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    https://www.sicklines.com/news-images/vivid.jpg

oh, i thought that looked remarkably similar
    the adjustment knob, the checkered, the pattern underneath the spring

or am i just dumb?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ohhhhh, wch, you meant the frame name, not the shock, i meant shock and assumed thats what people would think aswell

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    and it also says ion on the connection between the seat and top tube, and nicolai on the downtube

gnar, brah
    What cranks are those?

If they were on another bike, the graphic would make me think specialized...
    Trestle Bike Park

a tight kick sound
    Yeeeeehaawww!
    There is a thread over in custom bikes about this baby if ya want more.

Nice bike, is to replace the old m-pire. Comparably priced and about 1lb less (still 13.5lbs with shock!!)

Frame named "Ion" shock is vivid from rock shox. Most frames will come with a special shim stacked dhx coil.

tight DH bike...check it out! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=328306

rock hard or hardrock
    dude are all those bikes yours?
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

banned
    wow, nice bike, but why does it need to cost over 3g's for horst link frame?

a tight kick sound
    I doesn't!
    Prices in US, I will guess, would be around 2400-2600 with shock? Just a guess. PM Err and he might be able to hook you up. It is a little bit more than some but it is a Nicolai after all
    Crankandfail charge about 3 bills for the judge frame for eff sake...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    I doesn't!
    Prices in US, I will guess, would be around 2400-2600 with shock? Just a guess. PM Err and he might be able to hook you up. It is a little bit more than some but it is a Nicolai after all
    Crankandfail charge about 3 bills for the judge frame for eff sake...
    I guess thats true, theyre so sick anyway.

General Rabble-Rouser
    sweetness in the design.

I still don't dig that smurf blue. Is this what 2008 is bringing?

Pastels are

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I want those red cranks!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Shop *****
    Looks like a larger Gran-Mal in blue.
    The rear shock is a RS Vivid, yes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a VPP link, not Horst...
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What brakes are those? They almost look like Ultimates, but that would seem a little out of place...

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    What brakes are those? They almost look like Ultimates, but that would seem a little out of place...
    Ultimates, or C[h]odes
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    I think those cranks are red Truvative OCT's?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a VPP link, not Horst...
    Consider yourself corrected.

T.Dot Represent
    its probobly also 14 thousand dollars
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice bike, is to replace the old m-pire. Comparably priced and about 1lb less (still 13.5lbs with shock!!)
    afaik
    11.5lbs (5,2kg) for the Ion vs. 13.7lbs (6,2kg) for the Empire
    (both weights incl. rear shock)

ride hard take risks
    Still making the beefiest swing arm in the industry, no flex.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    What's the deal with baby blue frames with red trim this week?

[/QUOTE]

"Its All Good"
    Dam sweet steed, me have wood in my life...................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by redone
    afaik
    11.5lbs (5,2kg) for the Ion vs. 13.7lbs (6,2kg) for the Empire
    (both weights incl. rear shock)

ohhh sheeeit...for reals?
    I am in trouble!!!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    its probobly also 14 thousand dollars
    Nah, should be around 3K for the frame and shock full retail. The pricing on Nicolai frames is not nearly as inflated as internet rumor mills would have you believe.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    yeah, that sounds about right, just a bit heavier than a Helius-ST and a good bit lighter than an M-Pire.

mtbr member
    Nicolai, always the sexiest frames around. But I am kinda surprised that it looks so.... so regular?

Bike Hustler
    I like this one cause its the only one in they're line up that does'nt give me a headache when I try and figure out how the linkage actuates the shock.
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

"Its All Good"
    [QUOTE='Condor[ger] Do you have much other info etc. Almost seems like the bike is in production, or are these all test bikes?

Do you work for Nicolai or ride for them?

Nice seeing pictures of loads of Nicolai bikes....

Dont see any Gboxx Nicolai's though, need to see more
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Looks like a highschool shop-class product. Small diam tubes coupled to gussets that look to be made with whatever scrap metal was layin around. Maybe it rides great, but common.... 3K??

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEVS
    Looks like a highschool shop-class product. Small diam tubes coupled to gussets that look to be made with whatever scrap metal was layin around. Maybe it rides great, but common.... 3K??
    Somewhat of an interesting post Dr E..... Each to there own, but in my opinion, no offence, but you dont really know what you are talking about....

What a speculating in all honesty about the small tubes, are you saying that the frame will not be strong? Let us in on your theory, am keen to be sold on it...........

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Wow, looks very nice.

Condor - What's the chainstay length?

wuss
    A lot of the price will have to do with the current exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar. Most bikes cost here in euro's what they will cost in dollars in the states. As the Nicolai is made here, it will cost quite a bit more. Hand made in Germany does not come cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2006

I want those cranks.

They would look sooo sweet on my newly made over FR(Pictures to be posted today)Specking of FR that one in the back ground of the picture in this thread looks way nice(not as nice as mine)but than that's not even possible Ha.CF..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    What a speculating in all honesty about the small tubes, are you saying that the frame will not be strong? Let us in on your theory, am keen to be sold on it...........
    I don't doubt the strength.
    In this day and age, $3K should buy you a lot more. Look at the offerings from Santra Cruz, Intense, Foes, etc! Moncoque construction, VPP design (if that's your thing), and an esthetically pleasing design.
    This frame is barebones - it looks like a children's erector set. The gusseting looks like an afterthought. "Lets see, we have some leftover 1/4" plate... I know, lets weld some of it to the headtube!"
    I'd expect a higher level of design for $3000, that's all I'm sayin. Nothing against those who have them, enjoy them, ride them, etc.
    On the other hand, this company is one of the most progressive when it comes to the gearbox bikes (which is very impressive to me - I wish more manufacturers would put some effort into gearbox bikes). The paradox is a little ironic.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    In this day and age, $3K should buy you a lot more. Look at the offerings from Santra Cruz, Intense, Foes, etc! Moncoque construction, VPP design (if that's your thing), and an esthetically pleasing design.
    This frame is barebones - it looks like a children's erector set. The gusseting looks like an afterthought. "Lets see, we have some leftover 1/4" plate... I know, lets weld some of it to the headtube!"
    I'd expect a higher level of design for $3000, that's all I'm sayin. Nothing against those who have them, enjoy them, ride them, etc.
    On the other hand, this company is one of the most progressive when it comes to the gearbox bikes (which is very impressive to me - I wish more manufacturers would put some effort into gearbox bikes). The paradox is a little ironic.
    To each his own, but you are perhaps oversimplifying the design and suggesting that it is cobbled together. The styling of the frame seems to be a sticking point for you and I can completely understand that. However, the strength and functionality can not be called into question. You are correct that they are very progressive with their G-BOXX design but they have also been on the cutting edge of frame design for years. Specifically Nicolai has excelled at getting the correct geometry matched to the correct suspension design for top performance. Additionally, they have put together the correct combination of tubesets, gussets, and bearings to maintain ultimate reliability. Finally, they back it up with a 5 year transferable warranty.

Riiiiiide...
    Ive seen souped up beemers, mustangs, and hondas that could kick the fat red ass of most ferraris for a fraction of the price.
    Who buys these 'super' bikes? Must be a VERY small percentage of the mtb community. The rest of us probably ride just as well on bikes that cost as much as that frame.
    Its all good if ya got the bling.. but nobody can tell me that that bike will last longer or ride better then a bike half the price.
    Id probably buy one if i had the dough though

"Its All Good"
    Dr E, thank you for your reply, I now have an insight to where your thoughts lie... I have a Nicolai GBoxx steed. You are entitled to your thoughts etc on the technology involved in the above mentioned manufacturers. I have owned a Santa Cruz VP Free and an Intense Uzzi, not a Foes. To be totally honest with you, and you may call me biased. Am just being honest. The build quality on this frame leaves both Intense and Santa Cruz for dead... Funnily enough, the Santa Cruz build quality was far better than the Intense.... Yep indeed 3K is expensive to many. Nicolai are not after selling frames to the masses. They are an interesting company when some research is done on them in general. It is almost like they build frames for themselves and dont follow the percieved trends out there.

As Err mentioned, not many frame builders will give a 5 year warranty under race conditions....

If we ever cross paths anywhere, be grea tfor you to take my Nicolai Nucleon GBoxx for a blast, you will be very surprised. You may in fact get some wood in your life.....

All good

moaaar shimz
    Anyone said Azonic b52?

mtbr member
    May 2006

All right this is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Anyone said Azonic b52?
    I didn't say anything when someone posted the picture of the Transition BR,but now a Azonic?Let me fill you in on some rules,1,2,3, you don't ever hijack a Nicolai thread with any Pictues of a lesser frame(which is anything other than a Nicolai)but least not a [email protected] Azonic..Pictures of my FR up over at Custom DH/FR Forum or the Turner Forum.CF.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I didn't say anything when someone posted the picture of the Transition BR,but now a Azonic?Let me fill you in on some rules,1,2,3, you don't ever hijack a Nicolai thread with any Pictues of a lesser frame(which is anything other than a Nicolai)but least not a [email protected] Azonic..Pictures of my FR up over at Custom DH/FR Forum or the Turner Forum.CF.
    rrrrrriggggggghhtttt

mtbr member
    Azonic or Nicolai... The two do not even compare! The Azonic may "look" like the Nico and vice versa but the Nicolai has the Azonic beat hands down, aesthetics, build etc are all killer.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor[ger]
    Uh oh... I need some new shorts as I have soiled myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    If we ever cross paths anywhere, be grea tfor you to take my Nicolai Nucleon GBoxx for a blast, you will be very surprised. You may in fact get some wood in your life.....
    I'd love to try out a gearbox bike. That's the future right there; I just wish it would come sooner. I'll pass on the wood offer, however!

5 year warranty is indeed impressive, however with gussets like that it should last forever!

mtbr member
    I think it's only a matter of time before Nicolai adapts this more trendy design to a more radical one with a G-Box.

OT
    White springs = yuck, better if it was pewter!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

a tight kick sound
    Aaahhhmmm man...ahhhh man...
    Err...keep me away bro...help a brotha out!!!

Keep me away!

CF- PM me if you really are interested in those cranks. I got a set that I am not sure what to do with. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the bb to fit on my nicolai!

Ahhhhh hthat Ion is sooooooo sick....mmmmmmm

Someone please get me a chainstay length

"Its All Good"
    Aaahhhmmm man...ahhhh man...
    Err...keep me away bro...help a brotha out!!!

Keep me away!

CF- PM me if you really are interested in those cranks. I got a set that I am not sure what to do with. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the bb to fit on my nicolai!

Ahhhhh hthat Ion is sooooooo sick....mmmmmmm

I hear ya loud and clear bro.........

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Ultimate levers, Code calipers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Err
    Calm like a bomb

16.9", should pretty much be perfection.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    You're one of those form over function guys, ain't you? Swoopy, hydroformed, tubes does not necessarily equal better R&D, engineering, or value for the money. It mostly just gives the marketing guys something to prattle on about.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You're one of those form over function guys, ain't you?
    Heh, I'm all about form AND function - especially when dropping big bucks. If you like spending big bucks on ugly stuff, then that's your MO. Maybe you can transport your Nicolai with its automobile equivalent:

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Over here in Germany an Intense M3 Frame costs ~3600 Euros (4900 US$), the M6 will cost 4100 Euros, Ironhorse Sunday 3000 Euros, Santa Cruz V10 3300 Euros, Giant Glory DH 2500 Euros,

I think, the price for the Nicolai Ion ST (2500 Euros) is ok for what you get.
    Last edited by redone; 09-01-2007 at 06:27 AM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Heh, I'm all about form AND function - especially when dropping big bucks. If you like spending big bucks on ugly stuff, then that's your MO. Maybe you can transport your Nicolai with its automobile equivalent:

I think I understand your problem now. I'm interested in a DH race bike, not some wall flower that never gets off the road. Something more along these lines would be it's automobile equivalent:

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

post-ride specialist
    I think I understand your problem now. I'm interested in a DH race bike, not some wall flower that never gets off the road. ...

RACIST!
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    RACIST!
    I can't be a racist, you moran; I own a color TV!

"Its All Good"
    I can't be a racist, you moran; I own a color TV!
    LMFAO

a tight kick sound
    err, thanks
    I must have missed the numbers...where the hell did they go? they were on here yesterday! looked really damn good! Wonder if the BB is hella low again on this one too?
    Anyone know why the special shim stack in the dhx on the stock bike...or this just speculation?

I am thinking this would be super nice with a big single crown fork like a totem coil and a vivid in the back...galvanized fork and raw frame...aahhhh jesus...

If I contact you toni....tell me to get lost you are not getting me an ion

mtbr member
    Actually DWF, the G-wagen is quite capable offroad. Apparently you've not been exposed to that type of thing. I think it makes a nice analogy as an equally ugly, expensive, yet fairly capable piece of German engineering.

ride hard take risks
    Are we talkin 4 wheel steel coffins or 2 wheel thrill here.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="22"></td><td class="m_c" colspan="3" align="center" bgcolor="#efefef" width="500">

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Ive seen souped up beemers, mustangs, and hondas that could kick the fat red ass of most ferraris for a fraction of the price.
    I'll bet most of the people who own these things can't use the cars full potential in anything but a straight line, so why have them?

BTW, what does that have to do with anything?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You're funny.

Members who have read this thread: 0