New Mountain Cycle San Andreas- Mtbr.com
    75% Mountain cycle

New Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Just got it together, finally, 2003 San Andreas. 5" travel from the 2000 Z1 QR20 "Open Bath" front shock and 5" rear from a Fox rear air shock (Older Alps 5R). Just over 32 pounds of XC/Urban bliss. This this thing does it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pdh
    mtbr member
    It's funny to see how much that bike was ahead of it's time when designed

Jan 2004
    the only major problem that i can see is that it is terrifyingly ugly

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It looks nice. You would be amazed how much better it rides with a Progressive or Manitou spv rear shock. If I were you I'd list that as the first upgrade. Yes they are expensive, but worth it.

75% Mountain cycle

Progressive 5th is on the list

Yes, the progressive 5th is very high on the list if not on top. I just need to decide how heavy of a spring to order. I weigh 205 - 210 and tried a fox vanilla RX with a 650# spring and it was way under sprung. I think I'd need an 800# or 900#, any idea?

Anyone out there in the 200lb range ride a coil sprung Andreas, what spring weight???

Jan 2004

Coil spring San Andreas for a clyde

I have also completed my build of a 2003 San An warranty frame, and already upgraded the fork!!!! LOL! I bought a Fox Vanilla 125R, put it on and decided to sell it on Ebay and go with a Marzocchi, which is on the way. Rear has a 7.5 i2i, 2 inch stroke, 6 inch travel Progressive 5th with a steel 550 lb spring. Before that I rode (on the old San An frame) a 4.5 inch travel Risse Jupiter-5 with a ti spring which was wonderfully adjustable and valved for my weight (225). Before that I ran a Risse Astro-5, which was very progressive and not as plush on the small bumps as the coil. I've decided that SPV coil is for me on this frame. I've tried to attach a pic - we'll see if it works. Have fun - Kelly

75% Mountain cycle

Progressive Spring

Kelly - at 225 lbs are you pretty happy with the 550# Spring?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    I just need to decide how heavy of a spring to order. I weigh 205 - 210 and tried a fox vanilla RX with a 650# spring and it was way under sprung. I think I'd need an 800# or 900#, any idea?

Anyone out there in the 200lb range ride a coil sprung Andreas, what spring weight???
    New san andreas's with the 7.5"x2" progressive 5th element, 6" rear travel, come a 450 lb spring. Shane, the assembly / inventory guy says you shouldn't need more than a 500 lb. He's a real big guy. You should note that coil spring rates do not directly translate over to different brand shocks. You can run a softer spring on the 5th because of the better compression dampening. That's one of the great things about that shock. I've ran on my 9point5 as light as a 350 lb (with more air, volume full in, and both comp. adj. full in), and as stiff as a 500 lb ( min. air, volume turned full out, and both comp. adj. full out). Very tunable. Other shocks you pretty much set up so they don't bottom, and that's it.
    Good luck,
    Tim

Jan 2004

which 5th coil on San An for a clyde?

Tim: I got a new San An recently with the 5th coil (7.5 i2i, 2 inch stroke and 6 inch travel at a 1:3 ratio). Came stock with a 450lb spring. I talked (via email) extensively direct with two people at the Progressive company, and they recommended a 550 (max) spring for me (225 lbs of riding steel). Hope this helps - Kelly

Removed at birth
    If you go with at Coilover 5th Element, they will most likely send you one with a 400 lb spring. Because of their design, the spring rate is much less, and you make up for it with the air pressure adjustment. I've got a 5th on my Heckler, and I weigh 225lb. I have a 400lb spring, and run 140 lb of pressure. I highly recommend getting one.
    Peace out! War In!