new (to me) build for '07- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

new (to me) build - Balfa sickness

hey all, i just finished building up my ride for 2007's freeriding and dh runs. let me know what you think

first to guess the frame and its age, wins a big pat on the back
    (hint hint --> check the headtube decal)

action shots will follow as soon as the 2'+ of snow melts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cdnryder; 03-12-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    ride hard, is there any other way?

mtbr member
    sick fork, what frame is that?

mtbr member
    thanx mang. was hoping someone out there would have ID'd it by now but....

-2003 Balfa 2step DH, 7" travel, Maestro-esque suspension. hand made in Canada
    Aluminum front triangle, Cro-moly rear
    -2007 totem coil
    -Mavic 321s on Ringles
    -Hayes
    -MRP guide
    -blackspire/atomlab/funn/dmr cockpit
    -Holzfellers / Howitzer / Snafu / XT drive
    -Michelin 2.5s
    - ~40lbs

I've had it out for a couple light rips down some sand dune trails and through some small dj lines but I can't wait to give this thing a full workout. As far as I can tell this thing will own in bike parks and downhill trails. Pedals pretty damn well too for its weight.

Balfa is a company that shouldn't have gone under, simply because they were so far ahead of anyone else in their time. This bike's sus. design is almost identical to that of a reign, trance, glory... and how long did it take the big G to rip off their design??? i can't wait for the real (former Balfa) engineers at Appalache to bring out a slopestyle bike that will kick everyone's collective a$$e$. I wouldn't be too surprised if it resembled this beast either

mtbr member
    Sweet. The totem looks sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

ride hard take risks
    Sweet bike Balfa definatly had there own style, very inovative.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnryder
    thanx mang. was hoping someone out there would have ID'd it by now but....

-2003 Balfa 2step DH, 7" travel, Maestro-esque suspension. hand made in Canada
    Aluminum front triangle, Cro-moly rear
    -2007 totem coil
    -Mavic 321s on Ringles
    -Hayes
    -MRP guide
    -blackspire/atomlab/funn/dmr cockpit
    -Holzfellers / Howitzer / Snafu / XT drive
    -Michelin 2.5s
    - ~40lbs

I've had it out for a couple light rips down some sand dune trails and through some small dj lines but I can't wait to give this thing a full workout. As far as I can tell this thing will own in bike parks and downhill trails. Pedals pretty damn well too for its weight.

Balfa is a company that shouldn't have gone under, simply because they were so far ahead of anyone else in their time. This bike's sus. design is almost identical to that of a reign, trance, glory... and how long did it take the big G to rip off their design??? i can't wait for the real (former Balfa) engineers at Appalache to bring out a slopestyle bike that will kick everyone's collective a$$e$. I wouldn't be too surprised if it resembled this beast either
    ah, i definetely thought it resembled a bb7 or a appalache real.

mtbr member
    thanks a lot dude... nobody can deny Balfa's imagination and innovation. I can't wait to shred this baby to the max and write a proper review. and trust me, if I had the cash to build up a brand new rig for this year, your trigger II would have been at the top of my list. full needle bearings with grease ports are the pimpest of pimp
    Last edited by cdnryder; 03-10-2007 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    that frame looks like way to much fun.

pwn3rator
    balfa. very nice...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Glad to Be Alive
    congrats vey nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

New question here.

Ok here's a question for long travel SC owners: Has anyone else had problems with the low speed compression/lockout dial hitting the frame when spinning the bars?

Mine clears when it's between the two settings (fully-active and locked-out), and just slightly hits when seated in the regular fully-active setting. Has anyone (or SRAM/RS for that matter) found a solution for this problem? I'm thinking about filing the corners of the dial down so it clears when seated in active mode, but I don't know if it will be enough... I don't really care about it clearing in lockout mode, as I wouldn't be tossing x-ups or b-spins with the fork locked out. could a custom thin dial be easily made???

ride hard take risks
    There have been many discussions on this subject. You might check the Search function whil waiting for a response. Also check the Shock forum. http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Bike Ninja |||
    What headset do you have? if you have a cane creek or a king then you can buy a +7 lower race to pop your frame up 7mm to clear stuff like that. I have a totem and yea the mission control knob is freakin' tall.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnryder
    Ok here's a question for long travel SC owners: Has anyone else had problems with the low speed compression/lockout dial hitting the frame when spinning the bars?

Mine clears when it's between the two settings (fully-active and locked-out), and just slightly hits when seated in the regular fully-active setting. Has anyone (or SRAM/RS for that matter) found a solution for this problem? I'm thinking about filing the corners of the dial down so it clears when seated in active mode, but I don't know if it will be enough... I don't really care about it clearing in lockout mode, as I wouldn't be tossing x-ups or b-spins with the fork locked out. could a custom thin dial be easily made???
    The problem is totally dependant on the frame design. a lot of frames will clear just fine. Filing down the edges might work. You should pull the knob off and see how much space you have to work with.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm running a Pig DH Pro, and checked into a taller lower bearing race but couldn't find anything for the cartridge bearing style. I got fed up last night, got out the file, rounded the top edges and took down most of the 'tabs' on the mission control dial. There's still more than enough to work the control, and now it clears the frame when seated in the active mode(just barely... but it does). I'm still toying with the idea of going to a machine shop and pricing out a custom thin dial, but for now i'll live with this solution.

Keep ridin the good ride

Some Assembly Required
    Out of curiosity, hows the balance w/aluminum front triangle, cro-moly rear? I'd think a lil better than a complete alum. or complete cro-moly. Just seems to me w/the rear a lil heavier the bike should balance really well. Just guessin'...
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    To be honest, I haven't had enough time on it yet to really comment on how balanced it rides (Still 2' of snow in most places... but it was +14C outside today so hopefully it'll be gone soon! ). I will definately write a proper review, and include these details after a few blue mtn trips and slaying some local freeride lines.

I can tell you that lifting the bike by the forward seat brace (connecting the seat tube and top tube) lifts both wheels perfectly evenly off the ground, which in my opinion seems well balanced, as that point is directly underneath the rider. As a contrast, one of my riding buddies just finished building an '05 Norco 4by with a Travis Single. To achieve the same effect you have to lift the 1pc monocoque top/downtube, at least 8" closer to the front of the bike. Will it be really noticable during the ride? Probably, but I can't tell without giving her a proper workout.... Which i f*&$kin can't wait to do

Members who have read this thread: 0