new Intense Uzzi build: Heading down the home stretch!- Mtbr.com
    Evlkneevljr

new Intense Uzzi build: Heading down the home stretch!

OK, I haven't been on here in awhile....was hoping I could get some input from you guys. After a year of waiting, I'm finally lucky enough to upgrade and get into an Uzzi. Below, is my list. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts, ideas, etc. This will probably be my only bike; I don't really care how long it takes me to get where I go, just that I get there so I can bomb down! I'm 6' 2" and 165lbs...so...Here it is:

-Intense Uzzi Large w/ fox DHX coil
    -Marz 66RC2 ETA
    -Avid Juicy 7's 185mm and 203mm (rr and fr)
    -FSA Orbit Extreme 1.5-1 1/8 headset
    -X.9 rear der and shifters
    -XT front der
    -Thompson 50mm X4 (OS) stem
    -Easton EA70 High rise Monkey Bar
    -Gravity Dropper post
    -WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
    -Sram PG990 cassette
    -Blackspire Dual ring tensioner
    -Race Face Atlas AM crank (removing 44t ring to replace w/bashguard)
    -Titanium rear coil
    -Azonic outlaws, 150mm wheelset

This will be my do it all, even though it won't do it all great. I just care more about the jumps, drops and downhill, but still have to climb to get to the fun. Any feedback would be appreciated; I will begin my bike build/purchase/drain my account journey next week!
    Last edited by daverach2478; 08-12-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: status
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you dont have to climb to get to all the fun.

all you have to do is walk your bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    I'm 6'2" with a large Uzzi. You might want to consider a low-rise bar instead. It makes the bike more trail-worthy for when you aren't resort riding.

I also swapped to a flush headset to make the heat tube a bit steeper. It's still awesome at Whistler, but it's a little quicker for tighter, technical trails.

Glad to Be Alive
    personally I have juicy 5's and I think the Saints are way better.....I heard the Juicy 5's and 7's are pretty much the same...makes me wonder
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I have Juicy Fives on my DJ, and Saints on my Uzzi. The Saints rule.

Evlkneevljr
    Thanks for the input guys! One more thing, has anyone heard anything about the Spinergy Fall line wheelsets? I'm possibly thinking of going with those instead of the Azonics. Are they any lighter? It's a big jump, but, since I have the go ahead from the wife and I can only do it once, might as well go for the gusto!
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Random thoughts. Shimano brakes curb stomp the Juicys. No contest. I also like the Marz. Roco TST a little better than the DHX. I had both on the same bike. I'm not sure that they make a TST in the right size for the Uzzi or not though. That said, I usually run the platform full open on the TST, and this is on a linkage driven single pivot. I'm sure a VPP bike would pedal plenty well with a Roco WC. The Atlas crank had issues with some crappy tolerances in the machining of one part of the crank or another. Might have been the splined spindle interface. At any rate, it lead to a bunch of people screwing up their cranks trying to take them off. They may or may not have fixed it by now, but I'd just get an XT and be done with it. As for wheels the Outlaws are solid, but you can go lighter if you're so inclined. Somthing along the lines of Mavic 823s on Hope Pro IIs would be great. Throw in a Hadley rear hub for some really fast engagement of you've got a little extra cash.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Low rise bars, you will thank us.

If you're going to jump up to the price range of Fall Lines, get some hand built wheels. If you're a throw down huckster, grab the Mavic 823 rims, if not grab some DT 5.1's. Lace 'em up to Hadley hubs.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    you dont have to climb to get to all the fun.

all you have to do is walk your bike.
    Walking your bike is the ghayest thing ever, you have to climb like a man

moaaar shimz
    Juicy 5 and 7 are the same basically but the 7's have the Pad Contact Adustment.. which I find really useful

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I was curious about your sizing... I am 6-2 as well and I own a Rocky Mountain Switch. The only thing I really dislike about the bike is the fact that the large has a 19 inch seat tube. I have my post slammed all the time, never being able to lower it enough for downhill/jumping. What I was wondering about is the gravity dropper seatpost with a 20 inch seat tube of the Uzzi. If I remember correct, the GD post can't be slammed due to the magnet thing sticking out... (I'll make it quick: isn't your seat going to be taaaallll for jumping/ DH/ drops? ) P.S. I run a SDG I-beam with the FRD seat. I could go lower with a Thompson set-up, but I like the idea of no rails/light weight...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

cliffy

if your seat wont go down anyfurther for downhill/ freeride, get a saw and cut about 2 inches or so just to have it go down all the way. thats what I did. And then tighten the clamp holding the seat post for higher seat riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    if your seat wont go down anyfurther for downhill/ freeride, get a saw and cut about 2 inches or so just to have it go down all the way. thats what I did. And then tighten the clamp holding the seat post for higher seat riding.
    Do you mean cut my frame?

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005

Gravity Dropper

The Gravity Dropper's magnet will definitely interfere with dropping the post all the way. My gf has one on her Spec FSR. I have a Maverick Speedball which lets you drop a bit lower since there is no magnet. They are both great posts, though.

I swap out for a regular post when I go to Whistler, and use the Speedball the rest of the time.

N* Bomber Crew
    I'd go with a e13 DRS rather than your plain 'ol tensioner. The DRS is rock solid.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    If you want to go with a front derailleur, I suggest the new X9. It's blinging!
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

Evlkneevljr
    Wow! I guess this is why we have forums, so people don't make stupid mistakes!

OK, I'll hit up the low-rise bars, Wheelset: I'm not a huge hucker, I just want something that will last me. I don't do 15-20ft hucks, but, I have put my 4 month old Azonics out of true already (lots of rock/boulders in AZ).

I weigh 180 with my gear. XT's? Are those strong enough/stronger than the Altas?

That sounds like a good idea on the Mavic 823's to Hadley hubs; probably shave some weight, also, I was thinking of going UST, or, Stans - this would solve that dilema. Seat post: I didn't even think about that...on my Stumpjumper (long story behind getting stuck with this instead of the bike I should be riding) when I drop the seat as far as I need to, I still have 3" of post. That bike is an XL and has a 21" seat tube; I'm teetering on trouble with the GD it seems.

I didn't really consider the speedball because I've seen some reviews about the seat moving a little and only having the 3" drop. Maybe I should check into it again. Overall, I'd like to get this thing under 35-37lbs (if that's possible). Keep the feedback coming; thanks!!
    I like bacon.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by daverach2478

OK, I'll hit up the low-rise bars, Wheelset: I'm not a huge hucker, I just want something that will last me. I don't do 15-20ft hucks, but, I have put my 4 month old Azonics out of true already (lots of rock/boulders in AZ).

I weigh 180 with my gear. XT's? Are those strong enough/stronger than the Altas?

That sounds like a good idea on the Mavic 823's to Hadley hubs; probably shave some weight, also, I was thinking of going UST, or, Stans - this would solve that dilema. Seat post: I didn't even think about that...on my Stumpjumper (long story behind getting stuck with this instead of the bike I should be riding) when I drop the seat as far as I need to, I still have 3" of post. That bike is an XL and has a 21" seat tube; I'm teetering on trouble with the GD it seems.

I didn't really consider the speedball because I've seen some reviews about the seat moving a little and only having the 3" drop. Maybe I should check into it again. Overall, I'd like to get this thing under 35-37lbs (if that's possible). Keep the feedback coming; thanks!!
    get the 823's laced to Hadleys and go tubeless with some 2.5 Michelin 24 A.T. you will thank me for this choice.......ever thought about Saint Cranks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Plenty of people have been running XTs on their DH bikes and beating the snot out of them. They're rock solid.

Another option for a post: AMP All Mountain. I don't have one, but tried on on someone elses bike, and was impressed.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    get the 823's laced to Hadleys and go tubeless with some 2.5 Michelin 24 A.T. you will thank me for this choice.......ever thought about Saint Cranks
    Agreed X 2...

Evlkneevljr
    I'm sold on the Hadley/Mavic setup; thanks!

I didn't see any reviews or anything on the AMP seatpost other than their site. Not much for specs either. Does anyone know people using this?

On the cranks: This time around, I really wanted a 22/34T set-up, so, the shop I'm looking at was going to take the Race Face Atlas, replace the middle ring with a 34T and replace the 3rd ring with a bashguard. I couldn't find a saint with a 22/34T sold anywhere. For the terrain I ride, the 22/34 is the perfect setup. Pondering the XT again, but I'd have to get a diff middle ring... other ideas on a crank? I still want to keep it the 35-37lb range, if possible.
    I like bacon.

Shwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Do you mean cut my frame?
    no no no, cut a little bit off your seatpost so it can go lower
    Nothing Else Matters...

mtbr member
    u really cant compare azonic outlaws to hadley 823 setup. Azonics are great cuz their cheap and pretty reliable. but nothing compares to a set of hand built wheels. so if u got the scratch might as well go ba!!s out!

drs is the way to go, imo a much better dual ring setup.

cranks: saints are top choice, zero flex and uber reliable. if you do want to save a bit of weight def. check out the gravity gap. I also think fsa has a better bottom bracket bearing system

im a juicy 7 fan but for the 07 model year im kinda scratching my head at there line up. one little pad adjuster knob seperates the 5 from 7. and juicy carbons are a mear 9 grams lighter with ti bolts and carbon leavers? best part is that the recommened uses for the 5 and 7 dont include FR or DH but do so for the carbons...so if it has carbon its more dh friendly....oh that was just a pontification by me sorry
    avid marketing dept...what were they thinking?

juicy are a staple for me the saints are a great set up....but the power of the codes blow anything out of the water. of course at a weight penalty. but if you are building the ultimate bike the new magura are just beautiful and hopes are also a great option.

man its alot of fun spending someone else's $$$

mtbr member
    I think the only thing the Saint crank really has going for it over the XT is the steel pedal insert. The only way I can see myself ever breaking an XT is with a super brutal pedal strike taking out the threads. Even then I can just helacoil it. Since the XT is so much lighter, I'll take my chances.

Evlkneevljr
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm heading down the home stretch. Here's the update:

-Intense Uzzi Large w/ fox DHX coil
    -Marz 66RC2 ETA
    -Avid Juicy 7's 185mm and 203mm (rr and fr) Have always had good luck with these
    -FSA Orbit Extreme 1.5-1 1/8 headset
    -X.9 rear der and shifters
    -XT front der (too many rock would get in the X.9 here in AZ)
    -Thompson 50mm X4 (OS) stem
    -Easton EA70 Mid rise Monkey Bar (compromise)
    -Gravity Dropper post (I may have the shop try it on the build and see what they think)
    -WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
    -Sram PG990 cassette
    -E-13 DRS chain guide
    -Race Face Atlas AM crank (removing 44t ring to replace w/bashguard) XT too expensive to do this.
    -Titanium rear coil on Fox DHX (where from?)
    -Wheelset: Now, I'm back tracking - thinking between Spinergy Fall Line, or the Hadley/823 set up (tube/tubeless) both would cost me the same. I guess I could always turn the Spinergy's tubeless.

Going to drop the bomb on this beginning Monday (ouch...and...hooray!). Any additional input on the above or thoughts on the wheelset? Man! you guys ARE spending my money! I was about $600 less before I asked for input. Better to do it right, though!
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    I'd get the Mavic/ Hadley wheels. I want to know that I can walk into any bike shop anywhere, and buy spokes, a rim, or a hub, should I need them. Propritary stuff isn't any good. Plus, I havn't heard particularly good things about some of Spinergy's stuff.

Why's it too expensive to go to the 34t ring on the XTs? If your shop will swap things around on the Atlas, why not the Shimano?

Other than that, looks good. I still don't like the Juicy's much, but if you've had 'em and like 'em, fine.

Calm like a Bomb
    Did you get your frame yet? If not I would wait to make the build list as 2009 parts may be out by the time you get it. J/K Good luck though getting one , if you find a shop with it buy it there, cause they will tell you 2-3 weeks to order it...and after about 12 weeks you will wonder if its every coming

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by nano5467
    no no no, cut a little bit off your seatpost so it can go lower
    Trust me... been there, done that! My boss has a large Switch also and he went as far to buy a Macneil Pivotal seat and post. He took the post to a machine shop and had them turn it on a lathe to leave the smallest amount of seat interface... His seat is lower than mine, but I prefer a comfortable seat when I have to pedal...

Evlkneevljr
    They could swap things around, but, it looks like I would have trouble finding the 34T ring from them, unless, another brand would fit? Can you use any brand as long as the bolt pattern fits (i.e. the Race Face 104-4 34T ring)? Then I think I would do it. The other thing... I just started seeing on here is the 150mm rear doesn't work so hot with 2 rings up front. Anyone had good luck with this? Otherwise, should I just go with the 135mm in back?

2009 eh? Yeah, they told me 2-3 weeks too. I would need a large; hopefully they have one with my name on it, otherwise, it sounds like I may be waiting awhile. One more Q - Is there a diff between 06' and 07'?
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you can put any ring on so long as it's got the right BCD.

I'd just get the 135 rear. I think the Uzzi has a 73mm BB shell. The chainline dosn't turn out so hot with a 73/ 150 setup. Dedicated 150 bikes have 83mm BB shells to push the chainline out a bit.

Boyeeee
    You can get the '07 823s from Nashbar for $45 each and there's a 15% coupon right now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Glad to see you changed your mind on the Azonics. They are great bang for the buck kind of wheels, but the hubs have had issues. Our local pro wheelbuilder has seen a lot of returns come through his shop, and we have been waiting for warranty replacements from Azonic for 8 months now. Yeah it's covered by warranty, but if you can afford a better hub set I say go for it. Hope Pro II's are another good option in addition to the Hadleys.

..ouch
    Just built mine earlier this year. Here's the setup. Weighs in at 38.5 lbs (w/ steel spring) and keeps me smiling going up, going down or hitting the jump park. I hand it plenty of abuse. No complaints at all..

2007 Lrg Uzzi VPX - raw finish
    * Fox DHX5, w/ 500 spring
    * 07 RS Totem Coil 1.5, w/ firm ride spring
    * Avid Codes (highly recommended - 203mm front / 185mm rear)
    * Hadley/EX721 wheels (150mm rear w/ Ti bolt-on axle, 32 spoke, DT Comp spokes)
    * Shimano Hone cranks
    * E13 DRS chainguide
    * FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5 headset
    * Gravity Lite 1.5 60mm stem
    * Easton EA70 Monkey Bar
    * XT shifters (M760 triggers, M761 rear, M760a top-swing front)
    * XT cassette (11-34T)
    * SRAM PC991 chain
    * Thomson Elite seatpost
    * WTB Pure V CroMo seat
    * Easton Flat Boy pedals
    * WTB Motoraptor 2.4 tires

web_IMG_6250a.JPG
    Last edited by thump; 08-13-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    You can get the '07 823s from Nashbar for $45 each and there's a 15% coupon right now...
    Not to split hairs, but these are the 2006 models. The 07's have crazy yellow lettering that says ex823 instead of the small stickers these have. Same exact rim though. A smokin' deal for sure as these rims rock... I use the 36 hole/Red Hadley hubs with a set of Maxxis Minion/Highrollers and a little Stans goo for punctures. Bombproof set-up with 30psi at Whistler...

Evlkneevljr
    That is one sweet ride! So, did you have to get an 83bb shell instead of the 73bb to get the dual ring/150 rear combo to work right? What's the major benefit for going 150 v.s. 135? I know lateral strength is one, but, would this be overkill for me if I'm not hucking cliffs? 5-7ft all day long, but 10ft+ is rare, if at all (until I get my hands on this bike for a while...) plus, I only weigh about 180# WITH gear.
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Originally Posted byHard Tails Are Better
    That said, I usually run the platform full open on the TST, and this is on a linkage driven single pivot.
    Do you think you should have gotten the Rocco WC instead then? Not trying to advise, I was trying to decide between the two for a horst link build a while ago.

..ouch
    That is one sweet ride! So, did you have to get an 83bb shell instead of the 73bb to get the dual ring/150 rear combo to work right? What's the major benefit for going 150 v.s. 135? I know lateral strength is one, but, would this be overkill for me if I'm not hucking cliffs? 5-7ft all day long, but 10ft+ is rare, if at all (until I get my hands on this bike for a while...) plus, I only weigh about 180# WITH gear.
    Nope.. just used the Hone M601-2 cranks with 73mm BB. The e.13 with 1 inner guide plate lines up fine, (no BB spacers) but you do have to notch out a little chunk of the e.13 backplate to accommodate the upper bolt of the VPP box link. I have several hundred miles on it and haven't had any issues.

I like the 150mm with the 12mm bolt-on for the added strength, I'm 200+ and the rocks and drops here in CO can be pretty abusive on the wheels. Even if I was lighter I'd still go with it. The weight difference is almost non-existent and the 150mm will help reduce potential flex in any case. Plus, zero dish is just cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    personally I have juicy 5's and I think the Saints are way better.....I heard the Juicy 5's and 7's are pretty much the same...makes me wonder
    +1 on that, Shimanos rock all around, you don't need pad contact adj, they just work, modulate well enough throughout the travel, etc, saints have great stopping power.

..ouch
    Btw.. this makes me laugh. I remember hitting some rugged DH on South Mountain a few years ago on an FSR with my wife on a hardtail. REALLLY would have like to have the Uzzi then.. couldn't believe my wife actually made it down most everything on a friggin Cannondale.

Just my two cents.. if you can, the Totem coil is a sweet fork.. and the Avid Codes are butter smooth with one finger stopping even on most ski runs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Do you think you should have gotten the Rocco WC instead then? Not trying to advise, I was trying to decide between the two for a horst link build a while ago.
    If I was doing it all over again, I'd get the WC. No real complaints about the TST, but I don't really use the platform much, and I think I'd benifit more from a micro adjustable low speed compression than the wide range of the TST. For what it's worth, this is on a Bottle Rocket. I also had a DHX on there at one point, and ran almost no ProPedal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    If I was doing it all over again, I'd get the WC. No real complaints about the TST, but I don't really use the platform much, and I think I'd benifit more from a micro adjustable low speed compression than the wide range of the TST. For what it's worth, this is on a Bottle Rocket. I also had a DHX on there at one point, and ran almost no ProPedal.
    One thing I forgot to add- I run clipless, and this lets me spin nice smooth circles when pedaling. If I ride flats, I need some platform to make the rear end not feel super mushy. Somthing to think about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hey there, we're pretty much the same height & weight, running the same bike - wondering what setup you're currently running on your DHX? spring weight, air pressure, compression & rebound?

thanks,

mtbr member
    I was debating over brakes aswell and I ended up going with the Code 5's I got them for a killer price $200 shipped but thats cuase the shop owed me one. I think I have seen them for $240 set, just an option you get the code stoping power with a juicy 5 lever I am cool with that. Also alot of people swear by the siant cranks as they should but I am also running Atlas AM cranks and I am no big jumper 5 drops sh*t like that but my buddy has beat the crap out of the Atlas cranks 15 drops no prob and he is about your size.. I am 240lb I will let you know how they hold up to my abuse

mtbr member
    sorry for the dumb noowb question but,

whats the main advantage of low riser bars vs high riser bars then.

and nice builds.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    sorry for the dumb noowb question but,

whats the main advantage of low riser bars vs high riser bars then.

and nice builds.
    Its better for climbing, shifts your weight alittle forward.

I think
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Its better for climbing, shifts your weight alittle forward.

I think
    would you reckon then highrise would be best for dh,freeride.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    would you reckon then highrise would be best for dh,freeride.
    A lot of it is personal feel, but if you ride a lot of steeps, a tall front end helps for endo problems. If you rail a lot of turns and pedal all the time, go lower. I prefer to have my bars set relative to my BB. If I pedal out of the saddle, I like to be able to pull up on my bars for power, and for bunny-hops. Too tall a front end, and I feel like I'm at the gym on a eleptical or stair stepping machine... Ya know?

Death By Snoo Snoo
    First off it sounds like a great build but if I had to make any suggestions...

I would have to agree with the Saints vs. Juicy's i have ridden both and I the saints are great and relatively cheap and easy to maintain but if the juicies are what work for you than just stick with em.

I would consider another set of cranks, I have a set of RaceFace diabolous cranks and I am not too happy with them and their fitament to my frame but maybe you'll have better luck with the atlas.

lastly, i agree 100% with the 823 hadley wheelset build. I have this setup on my VPX and M3 and a hadley set on my SS . With my weight and lack of riding clean lines I would say I am really hard on my wheels and so far they have been bombproof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    A lot of it is personal feel, but if you ride a lot of steeps, a tall front end helps for endo problems. If you rail a lot of turns and pedal all the time, go lower. I prefer to have my bars set relative to my BB. If I pedal out of the saddle, I like to be able to pull up on my bars for power, and for bunny-hops. Too tall a front end, and I feel like I'm at the gym on a eleptical or stair stepping machine... Ya know?
    thanks,i will give low risers a go.

Members who have read this thread: 0