New guy here! 03 Bullit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New guy here! 03 Bullit

Wassup guys! Sly Tuna here from Newport Beach. Ive been riding for about 6 years, and these last 2 years have been very unproductive for me. I was an Urban rider for those years, with an occasional dirt jump sesh. I rode a Giant STP 1. I managed to get sponsored by Maxxis for a year in 05. I am really interested in getting into the trail/DH scene, and im told there are some great trails where i live. Today i purchased the beautiful 03' Santa Cruz Bullit (medium-im 6'0 170lbs). I wanna be able to use it as a trail bike, and still bomb down hills with it. Im am looking to build this bike from the ground up. I wanna run a 160mm in the front, and im not sure if i need to rebuild the rear shock. I hope i posted this in the right section. Anyway; any and all info is appreciated. Recommendations for parts would be awesome as well. Hope to get some great feedback!!

Here are some pics!
    Bike was recently Powder-coated white. No cracks or bad welds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BTW im looking to spend in excess of $800 for this build.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i believe Craig at Avalanche rebuilds 5th element shocks and makes them feel godly.

A RockShox Lyric, Fox 36 or Marzocchi 55 would fit the frame well if you want to keep the front at 160mm, you can find some decent deals on those forks in classifieds and on Ebay.

Azonic Outlaws are good wheels that won't set you back too much. They're weighty, but if you're not afraid of that, they'll take the DH abuse.
    Look for some used older Saint cranks, very solid and can be had for a reasonable price if used.

The rest of it i'm sure you can just figure out as you go.
    Have fun man, there are some awesome trails in your area!

Pivotal figure
    That is one of the best frames I ever owned. Rode mine for nearly 6 years and never had to tighten the pivots or replace bearings. The only complaint I had was all the pedal feedback in the granny ring. The good part is that it kinda forced me to ride in the middle ring all the time (it performs very well in that gear btw) and got me out of using that low gear as a crutch. I actually clean more tech sections in the higher gear than I did by trying to crawl thru in low. You'll obviously need a BB mount chainguide if you plan to run one. Sunline has a pretty cool one with a spring loaded guide wheel so it doesn't get mangled when you hit stuff (or loosen the BB).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    That is one of the best frames I ever owned. Rode mine for nearly 6 years and never had to tighten the pivots or replace bearings. The only complaint I had was all the pedal feedback in the granny ring. The good part is that it kinda forced me to ride in the middle ring all the time (it performs very well in that gear btw) and got me out of using that low gear as a crutch. I actually clean more tech sections in the higher gear than I did by trying to crawl thru in low. You'll obviously need a BB mount chainguide if you plan to run one. Sunline has a pretty cool one with a spring loaded guide wheel so it doesn't get mangled when you hit stuff (or loosen the BB).

This is pretty much chinese to me... lol Are you talking about a bottom bracket chain guide? A link to one would be solid

Pivotal figure
    Ha! No worries, here's a link to the catalog page. Just scroll down to the V-One Travel Guide. This setup only works with a single ring up front so it might not be the way you want to go. Depends on how hard you want to work..
    http://www.sixsixone.com/media/2010_...ng_Catalog.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ahhh got it! Single is pushing it for me... id rather do a dual.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Here's a good example of an "old" bullit on a tight budget.

Part list:

SC Bullit (S) w 5th Element
    Zocchi Jr T w integrated stem
    Avid Juicy 5s
    ODI lockons
    RF Diabolus bar
    Thomson post
    Funn saddle
    Alivio 8sp shifter
    SRAM chain
    105 mech
    105 cassette
    E13 guide
    Gravity cranks
    TBC pedals
    Outlaw wheels
    Arrow Racing tires
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mine

http://
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

back in da day

jj;j

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

all around do anything iconic bike

my bike ready to go

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ^^^ nice one man. Im prob gonna run the fox 36 on mine. outlaw wheels, saint cranks, I still kinda unsure of which bottom bracket, and sprocket to run tho. Running the brake lines on the bike is gonna be a little funny. For some reason the guides dont match up. There is guides under the top tube, and guides under the rear triangle....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

gides

The gides don't line up because that bullit was in a trasition period. Basically you got an old front end with a newer rear end mine is a little different. With the older fr/dh/am bikes you really just have to use zip ties and maby not as clean of a cable route. I driled out my cable stops and ran full housing.

Glad to Be Alive
    Welcome to the forum....nice durable bike there
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The brake cables are gonna be interesting. Cant wait to start sourcing parts, but i need to sell my STP 1 first. . Im trying to get rid of it, but there are no takers. At this point im willing to trade it for a fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    off topic, what trails are planning on riding, im out here by irvine and all we got is road : /

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Not really.... There is Aliso Creek which is an awesome one. Starts at "top of the world" in Laguna Beach. There is crystal cove, and i couple more i cant think of off the top of my head. I just moved here 3 weeks ago, so im sure there is others i havnt heard of. Im more than willing to ride with you sometime if you wanna meet up.

mtbr member
    Loved mine, thing was great for urban freeride on campus and drops.
    Had 2 and they both never gave me any trouble, built solid and one of the funnest bikes Ive ever ridden. They pop off stuff, whip around, pedal good and overall was a blast..
    Have fun, they are a iconic original! Id get another for goofing off without a ?..
    Congrats and pics when built!!!

My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Tuna
    Not really.... There is Aliso Creek which is an awesome one. Starts at "top of the world" in Laguna Beach. There is crystal cove, and i couple more i cant think of off the top of my head. I just moved here 3 weeks ago, so im sure there is others i havnt heard of. Im more than willing to ride with you sometime if you wanna meet up.
    puurrrrrfect...no more names listed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    My first "serious" bike was an '03 Bullit. Your gonna love it!

My recomended parts list for your budget would be

Azonic Outlaw wheelset - buddy has 'em, strong and cheap, good engagement, not too heavy.

Shimano SLX or Hone cranks - I have the SLX and it's very light/strong, you might be able to find a great deal on the Hone's as they are discontinued.

A nice new fork will blow a budget pretty fast. Try used or this new Marzocchi 55 for $230 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...i+55+R+08.aspx

Brakes, my Shimano XT's have been amazing on my trail bike and worked pretty well on my VP Free too. A buddy has the SLX and thinks they are great. $160 for a complete set.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Set.aspx

For the smaller stuff...

Headset - Crane Creek S-3 or FSA Pig (I'd get the S-3 +5 to slacken out the head angle just a little more, especially if you end up with a 140mm fork like the Marzocchi 55)

Handlebar/Stem - go for something with a low rise and wide (I got a Easton Carbon bar for $35 from my local bike shop on clearout) I really like anything around 700-730mm. For a stem try something around 70-90mm long

Tires - Maxxis Ardent on my trailbike, decent all mountain tire front and back. Very fast rolling. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bead+Tire.aspx

Pedals - Wellgo MG-1 for cheap, light, well made flat pedals, I like Time or Shimano for SPD's

Seat - check your local bike shop for a cheap WTB saddle that was swaped off a customers bike. Saddles are an individual thing but most people I've met like WTB saddles.

Seatpost - get it with 2 bolts that fasten the seat to it. One bolt will work it's way loose pretty quickly.

Cassette - SRAM or Shimano 9 speed, I like 11-34 for the extra steep climbs.

Chain - SRAM 9 speed (not hollow pin)

Shifters/Derailleurs - SRAM SX5 or better - Shimano Deore or better (see if you can get a medium cage rear derailleur if your going 2x9) Shimano front derailleurs are compatable with SRAM shifters. SRAM front derailleurs are inferior to Shimano.

If your ordering parts online I've had good luck with Bikeman and JensonUSA.

Good luck! And post pictures when your done.
    Last edited by pushinpixels; 01-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    puurrrrrfect...no more names listed
    ?? Based on your lack of punctuation i cant tell if youre being sarcastic, serious or thankful.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pushinpixels
    My first "serious" bike was an '03 Bullit. Your gonna love it!

My recomended parts list for your budget would be

Azonic Outlaw wheelset - buddy has 'em, strong and cheap, good engagement, not too heavy.

Shimano SLX or Hone cranks - I have the SLX and it's very light/strong, you might be able to find a great deal on the Hone's as they are discontinued.

A nice new fork will blow a budget pretty fast. Try used or this new Marzocchi 55 for $230 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...i+55+R+08.aspx

Brakes, my Shimano XT's have been amazing on my trail bike and worked pretty well on my VP Free too. A buddy has the SLX and thinks they are great. $160 for a complete set.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Set.aspx

For the smaller stuff...

Headset - Crane Creek S-3 or FSA Pig (I'd get the S-3 +5 to slacken out the head angle just a little more, especially if you end up with a 140mm fork like the Marzocchi 55)

Handlebar/Stem - go for something with a low rise and wide (I got a Easton Carbon bar for $35 from my local bike shop on clearout) I really like anything around 700-730mm. For a stem try something around 70-90mm long

Tires - Maxxis Ardent on my trailbike, decent all mountain tire front and back. Very fast rolling. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bead+Tire.aspx

Pedals - Wellgo MG-1 for cheap, light, well made flat pedals, I like Time or Shimano for SPD's

Seat - check your local bike shop for a cheap WTB saddle that was swaped off a customers bike. Saddles are an individual thing but most people I've met like WTB saddles.

Seatpost - get it with 2 bolts that fasten the seat to it. One bolt will work it's way loose pretty quickly.

Cassette - SRAM or Shimano 9 speed, I like 11-34 for the extra steep climbs.

Chain - SRAM 9 speed (not hollow pin)

Shifters/Derailleurs - SRAM SX5 or better - Shimano Deore or better (see if you can get a medium cage rear derailleur if your going 2x9) Shimano front derailleurs are compatable with SRAM shifters. SRAM front derailleurs are inferior to Shimano.

If your ordering parts online I've had good luck with Bikeman and JensonUSA.

Good luck! And post pictures when your done.
    That is what i call helpful. I really appreciate you taking your time to type this up for me! This is very useful, and easy to understand.

Pivotal figure
    I'd run screaming from that 55R....Everything else is nice though. Another tire option is GEAX; Neuron & DHEA. That price on the Ardent is pretty damn good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bike was recently Powder-coated white. No cracks or bad welds.
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO CRACK A BULLIT????

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Welcome Sly.
    I rode an 01 Bullit for 7 years - pounded the sh*t out of it and the only issue I had
    was I managed to break a shock bolt (at N* in 2006!).
    You'll be very satisfied with the bullit.
    I'd probably go with a good single crown fork.
    Don't know much about 5th element shocks.
    Have fun!
    McLovin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnj
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO CRACK A BULLIT????
    yes. everything breaks. that being said, i loved mine and was my introduction to the dh world. awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    yes. everything breaks. that being said, i loved mine and was my introduction to the dh world. awesome bike.
    I agree. great bike. built like a tank!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I found a truvativ hussefelt howitzer crankset for a good deal, i just need to know what size bottom bracket to get. Also what size sprockets should i be running? I wanna be able to pedal the bike, but have a big enough one to bomb down hills. Hope this makes sense lol

Pivotal figure
    The ring size is really up to you, are you going to run 2 rings or 3? A common setup for 2 ring is a 22t small and 34t large. I'm running a 22-36 right now and I kinda like the slightly larger ring for the descents. It did make climbing a bit harder but I got used to it pretty quick. Can't remember what size BB that frame uses though

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks. Still need that BB size though. haha Im def gonna run the howitzer cranks though. Im still having trouble figuring out how im gonna connect the 2 rings to the Cranks to the BB. Im assuming im gonna be running a bash guard as well? I know a person with no experience can be annoying, and i apologize in advance. Thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Loved mine, thing was great for urban freeride on campus and drops.
    Had 2 and they both never gave me any trouble, built solid and one of the funnest bikes Ive ever ridden. They pop off stuff, whip around, pedal good and overall was a blast..
    Have fun, they are a iconic original! Id get another for goofing off without a ?..
    Congrats and pics when built!!!

Hey, arent those my old wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That isn't an 03' - no HT gussets, 7.875" shock. It would make a good trail bike combined w/ a 5-6" SC fork. If you want to put it in DH trim put a 8.5x2.5 (6.2" travel) or a 9x2.75 shock for 7.2" travel. For DH I ran a Super T, Bullit felt good w/ a 550ish a-c height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If it wasn't for the Abbreviations i would have understood everything you said... lol So its an 02 then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If it wasn't for the Abbreviations i would have understood everything you said... lol So its an 02 then?
    01' or 02' - it also has the curved seat tube. The rear swingarm looks like 02' + because there are no v - brake bosses, only lower mounted brake / cable guides. You will have to figure out how to route your hoses / cables - old vs newer style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My bullit was built to top spec when i built it around 2008 it was a 2007/8? frame i got new in 2008, bomber 55's 160mm travel, lower to 140 for uphill and its fine... (dont lock them out with the left leaver it ruins the spring somehow) dhx 5.0 x-0 gear + hope mti ti 6's, the bike is amazing. the only upgrade i can think of to make the bike better is a howitzer crank which it will be getting as soon as they become available in the Uk. i have around 4000-4500 invested in this bike... wouldn't sell it if somebody offered me 4500 for it now.
    2010 norco team dh, updated Ibis mojo hd

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey guys. Ordering my BB and cranks today. Im going with the Truvativ Howitzer Team BB cranks. As far as the Bottom bracketgoes , its asking me if i want a 50 or 56 MM chainline. Which one should i be getting for this build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Update

Alrighty guys. The parts list is getting longer! Thanks for your patience with everything. Im starting to get the hang of part fitting etc.

So far parts list:

SC Bullit Medium Frame
    Rock Shox Domain 318 coil. 180mm
    Chris King Hubs (front and Rear) (need a new front Hub for 20mm through axle)
    Laced on mavic D321 Rims.
    Raceface Seat post
    Hope Clamp
    Intense Tires.

Amount Spent: $950

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Parts update!**

Recent Purchases:
    Sram x-9 rear derailleur
    hope M4 Front and rear brakes. Front (203mm rotor)(185 mm rear)
    Cane Creak s-3 headset
    Easton ea30 bars
    Easton vice stem (100mm) (6 degree rise)
    10mm+15mm carbon spacers
    sram pc971 chain
    Salsa Skewer (rear)

Previous list:
    SC Bullit Medium Frame
    Rock Shox Domain 318 coil. 180mm
    Chris King Hubs (front and Rear) (need a new front Hub for 20mm through axle)
    Laced on mavic D321 Rims.
    Raceface Seat post
    Hope Clamp
    Intense Tires.

Total is at: $1322. At this point i said F#@$ the budget

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Build is coming along nicely!! Last thing to do is get a 200mm rotor adapter for my post mount Domain fork, and also set my calipers, and bleed the brakes. Over the weekend i got:

x-7 shifters
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Bontrager Big Earl cranks with bash gaurd.
    Chain Tensioner (forgot brand)
    ODI lock on grips
    BLue Hope front hub
    DT swiss spokes

Im now at

$1848 Cant wait for it to be finished. Ill post pictures when its done

You Are What You Is
    That's a nicely spec'd Bullit. It certainly won't be lightweight, but then a Bullit shouldn't be. I've had two Bullits in the past. They were definitely some of the most fun rides I owned. Now you need to take that bike up to Mammoth in the summer and work it in properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Heres mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New guy here! 03 Bullit-img_0203.jpg  

New guy here! 03 Bullit-img_0304.jpg  

New guy here! 03 Bullit-img_0173.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The bike weighed in at 37.08 lbs. Measured on a park tools bike scale. It will be roughly 38 lbs when finished

You Are What You Is
    Hey Jullage, where is that 2nd pic taken?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Hey Jullage, where is that 2nd pic taken?
    Catbells, Lake district England i think if i where to do it again id be on a v10 or a big downhill rig... its a mountain not a trail

mtbr member
    Bullits are great bikes, tried and true. Single pivot frame, no BS. Just a strong frame that will take most that you can give it. Enjoy your ride!
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

Big Test Icycles
    Nice build so far. If it were my build I would look into changing the rear quick release to King Fun Bolt. King sells the 10mm bolt on axle option. This will stiffen up and secure the rear end. Its just added security if you plan to go big with this bike. You did say F**K the budget.. LOL

smell my finger
    Here's mine, stated life white pc.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=290

Members who have read this thread: 0