New Glory- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Glory

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New Glory

So i am replacing a stolen bike, insurance is footing the bill...
    This is the build so far

Frame: 08 Glory DH
    Fork: 08 Fox 40 RC2
    Shock: dhx5.0 Ti coil
    Rims: WTB laserdisc fr
    Hubs: Chris King
    Cranks: Gravity Lite Mega Exo
    Chain: pc 950
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Derailleur: X.9
    Shifter: x.9
    Handlebars: Gravity Lite DH
    Brakes: Formula Bianco
    Saddle: wtb
    Stem: Thomson
    Seat post: Thomson
    Grips: ODI Rogue

Ok so here is where i'm running into trouble, the headset configuration is goofy, 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8 zero stack up top... I would like to run a king seeing as i already have one but i'm having trouble finding the reducers for the top. Does anyone make reducers for this?

The other thing is i want to run a Ti coil but i'm not sure what spring rate to get. Its a 2008 Fox dhx 5 and from what i've read they have upped the boost chamber preasure and thanks to that you would use a lower spring rate then before. Does anybody else know anymore about this? and should i run the same spring rate in a Ti coil as i would with a steel?

banned
    how do u get your bike inssurred?

clyde in training
    home owners

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Homeowners is right, 500$ deductable

banned
    im 15, whats a deductable? but thats really cool, do u have to right a serial # down or something?

mtbr member
    First question is how much does home owners cover??? Also I have the same problem I havent found any reducer to use my King Headset either.. The E-13 only work with Canes. The Ti sprin rate is the same as Steel, how much do you weigh? I talked to Fox today and they suggest the same spring rate on the 08 DHX they always over rate I believe they told me a 700lb spring for my I am 240lb but I think I need a 600lb and thats the same with a Ti spring I would get a 600lb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tod Says What?!
    im 15, whats a deductable? but thats really cool, do u have to right a serial # down or something?
    LOL... Well its pretty much the insurance company will cover anything over 500 bucks so if the damage on your car was lets say $1500 but your deductable is $500 they will cut you a check for $1000, so for them to cut you a check it has to be over your deductable..

StraightOuttaCompton
    he has to meet 500 dollars and then he doesnt have to pay for anythign after that. IE: if you go to the doctor 4 times a month and it is 300 dollars per visit, and your deductible was 550 dollars, youd only have to pay 550 of the 1200 you owed, kind of wired i dont rally understand how it works either
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

the target bike basher
    If the insurance is paying for it, go all out man, get x.0 der. aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    he has to meet 500 dollars and then he doesnt have to pay for anythign after that. IE: if you go to the doctor 4 times a month and it is 300 dollars per visit, and your deductible was 550 dollars, youd only have to pay 550 of the 1200 you owed, kind of wired i dont rally understand how it works either
    thanks alot for the new knowledge

StraightOuttaCompton
    sorry forgot to say earlier, hope your new bike makes up for the theft
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey El Gordo, your getting a glory dh too? I weigh 195 all geared up, i was riding a 500lb spring on my vpfree, but with the newer shock and different frame i'm not soo sure yet, i was thinking i might be able to step down to a 450. I just got the frame today and after checking out all the stuff it comes with... especially the headset, it makes me feel like giant really wants this bike to be heavy, the headset it comes with is a tank, the lower cup is atleast twice as heavy as my whole king headset, also got extra derailer hangers and OMG they must be made of steel. I'm aiming to get this bike in under 41lbs but giant isn't making it easy for me.

Home owners is covering a little over 5,000. The store i use still has records of my last bike so it isn't hard to prove.

A deductable is what i have to pay in order to get the money for the new bike. So in the long run i'll only get about 4,500, the rest is outa my wallet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would go all out and do X.0, actually considered it for a while, but for me its just not worth it, i'm no racing pro so i'm sure X.9 will server me just fine, i'm more interested on spending the money where it matters the most

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtdp
    Hey El Gordo, your getting a glory dh too? I weigh 195 all geared up, i was riding a 500lb spring on my vpfree, but with the newer shock and different frame i'm not soo sure yet, i was thinking i might be able to step down to a 450. I just got the frame today and after checking out all the stuff it comes with... especially the headset, it makes me feel like giant really wants this bike to be heavy, the headset it comes with is a tank, the lower cup is atleast twice as heavy as my whole king headset, also got extra derailer hangers and OMG they must be made of steel. I'm aiming to get this bike in under 41lbs but giant isn't making it easy for me.
    We have a Glory DH complete in the shop, and I was wondering if I called Cane Creek and asked them if they would sell me the lower half only of their Double XC reducer headset. It would lower the front end about 1/4 inch and be a LOT lighter...

I can handle the steel hangers though... The spring rate you're thinking of is probably close. Check out this calculator: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8200
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    run ti spring the same or 50 pounds more
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    I would go all out and do X.0, actually considered it for a while, but for me its just not worth it, i'm no racing pro so i'm sure X.9 will server me just fine, i'm more interested on spending the money where it matters the most
    how did the insurance company esemate how much your bike was worth? thats how it works if im not mistaken?

also. x9 should be fine, thats what i run, and its probably my favorite derailer

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was thinking of running a cane creek lower headset, but i'm not sure if i really want to lower the front end at all, but if doing that is lighter than running reducers and my king for the lower then thats what i will do, i'm more interested on how to run a standard headset up top instead of the whole zero stack mumbo jumbo, anybody know?

All the insurance needs is the police report, and the receipt from the purchase of my last bike, which was a vpfree with pretty much the same build

mtbr member
    For myself the insurance company found the present day retail value of the 2 bikes I had stolen and gave me that much. I'm assuming most companies are close to this...

yaha ha

Home owners is covering a little over 5,000. The store i use still has records of my last bike so it isn't hard to prove.

A deductable is what i have to pay in order to get the money for the new bike. So in the long run i'll only get about 4,500, the rest is outa my wallet.

I'm 180 and run a 450 on my glory (06 dhx 4 tho)

banned
    I was thinking of running a cane creek lower headset, but i'm not sure if i really want to lower the front end at all, but if doing that is lighter than running reducers and my king for the lower then thats what i will do, i'm more interested on how to run a standard headset up top instead of the whole zero stack mumbo jumbo, anybody know?

All the insurance needs is the police report, and the receipt from the purchase of my last bike, which was a vpfree with pretty much the same build
    oh well, what if u just have the serial number because i kinda bouht my bike directly from Skip Hess the Owner of Giant, and he failed to send a recipt or say if i had a warranty.lol

How did the bike get stolen?

mtbr member

No I am building a Transition Blindside they sent me a 700lb spring I think I need a 650lb or poss even a 600lb.. On my 07 Preston that runa a 7,5 x 2.0 DHX fox told me I needed a 800lb spring that thing was super stiff it took me 2 hours just to get the damn spring on.. Fox really over rates... I think you may still want to run a 500lb spring.. You cant diff get the glory under 41lb, One of my buddies has one and I think he told me it was at 39.7 lbs, but he is running I9's and some carbon he weighs 150lb he can get away with stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd go with a wipperman connex stainless chain... love em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've heard of wipperman chains through my 5 years of working in a bike shop but never understood the advantages. So besides the fact that you love them, why should i put one on my bike? is it durrability? weight?

Does anybody know of a reducer the topcup of this headset? If not i guess i could just have a 1.5 reducer machined down to fit but thats a bit more work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    home owners
    If you don't own a home renters insurance works the same for stolen property. It helped me out once, and renters insurance is only a couple of hundred bucks a year..

Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

moaaar shimz
    I've heard of wipperman chains through my 5 years of working in a bike shop but never understood the advantages. So besides the fact that you love them, why should i put one on my bike? is it durrability? weight?

Does anybody know of a reducer the topcup of this headset? If not i guess i could just have a 1.5 reducer machined down to fit but thats a bit more work.
    Durability

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wonder why they put that weird headset on.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0