New frame advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New frame advice

Hey guys,

I'm currently riding an Large 09 Glory DH. Being 6'4 the bike feels quite a bit short for my height (sub 1200 wheelbase).

I'm looking to switch to something a bit longer but I don't wanna buy a whole new bike since most of the stuff on my glory is in really nice condition (Saint drivetrain, brakes and fox 40's). Plus its fun to built bikes!

I'll start by saying I'm NOT anywhere close to being an advance rider, I DH for fun and don't plan on racing anytime soon so I'm looking for a good build to hit my local trails and bikeparks.

After much researching there's a couple of frames that pop out, a 2016 XL Jedi (1800$ with CCDB), or a L 2016 Giant Glory, which I found a brand new frame locally for around the same price as the Jedi but no shock included. Luckily the DHX 5 on my glory should fit with the correct hardware.

Both bikes have similar reach and wheelbase, which is what I'm after. Other than that, The jedi has a slacker HA which I don't know if it would help, or make things worst if you're not an advanced rider? it also has a super short chainstay compared to even a demo.

Can anyone give me some feedback if they've ridden these bikes? I know the Jedi has a cult following and it's tempting to buy into the hype. But the Glory is a carbon frame that could potentially be built lighter, which is nice when you have to haul the bike up the trails multiple times in a day. I've also read it's super quiet and very smooth which my hands and knees always appreciate.

I'm curious as to what you guys think? Any input is welcome and thanks in advance.

I've also looked at a 2015 XL demo but I've heard these are not really well suited for tall guys.
    I'm the guy that blocks your view with a cloud of dust!

A landing that you can walk out of is a good landing!

mtbr member
    The Glory is nice. They feel nice and playful. But I don't think the more recent models are all that fun to ride. They are not boring like a Demo, just not as playful as they used to feel.

Now, the Jedi. The Jedi is a BEAST of a bike. It is simply amazing. It does have a slightly different feel to it, due to the rearward axle path. But that serves to really take the edge off of hard braking bumps, roots, and rocks at high speed. It inspires HUGE amounts of confidence. The older Jedis were a bit less sporty feeling, which led many people to say that they were not good on jump lines. The newer bikes like the one you are looking at have solved that. I watched Lance Canfield absolutely destroy A Line at Whistler like it was nothing. He was popping higher off each jump than anyone else I saw all day. The Jedi shines on every kind of trail, but my opinion is that it shines the brightest on the more technical trails. It is unreal how easy it is to charge down the steep stuff. It eats rocks. Big rocks. It just glides right over them like they weren't even there.

You say you aren't an advanced rider. I have a feeling that the Jedi will help you go faster and more aggressively than ever before. It inspires so much confidence. Add to that Canfield's amazing customer service, and you can't go wrong.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Probably inconsequential, but the frames you're describing are likely 650b. Your 2009 Glory is likely a 26er, and the rear hub may not even be 150mm (if it is, then these new frames could be 157 mm, and you'd still have an issue). So not only will the geo and the ride height be slightly off, you may not even be able to transfer some of your good stuff. Something worth considering.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    The Glory is nice. They feel nice and playful. But I don't think the more recent models are all that fun to ride. They are not boring like a Demo, just not as playful as they used to feel.

Now, the Jedi. The Jedi is a BEAST of a bike. It is simply amazing. It does have a slightly different feel to it, due to the rearward axle path. But that serves to really take the edge off of hard braking bumps, roots, and rocks at high speed. It inspires HUGE amounts of confidence. The older Jedis were a bit less sporty feeling, which led many people to say that they were not good on jump lines. The newer bikes like the one you are looking at have solved that. I watched Lance Canfield absolutely destroy A Line at Whistler like it was nothing. He was popping higher off each jump than anyone else I saw all day. The Jedi shines on every kind of trail, but my opinion is that it shines the brightest on the more technical trails. It is unreal how easy it is to charge down the steep stuff. It eats rocks. Big rocks. It just glides right over them like they weren't even there.

You say you aren't an advanced rider. I have a feeling that the Jedi will help you go faster and more aggressively than ever before. It inspires so much confidence. Add to that Canfield's amazing customer service, and you can't go wrong.
    the Jedi has the best suspension I have ever rode....you can even brake throught the rough stuff and you won't get wheel hop....back end always has traction
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Probably inconsequential, but the frames you're describing are likely 650b. Your 2009 Glory is likely a 26er, and the rear hub may not even be 150mm (if it is, then these new frames could be 157 mm, and you'd still have an issue). So not only will the geo and the ride height be slightly off, you may not even be able to transfer some of your good stuff. Something worth considering.
    Word. The fork, rims and tires will be different for sure.

The BB, hubs, headset, seatpost and even the brake mount may be different. Not that the brake mount is that expensive, but it's just the point. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post

Thanks a lot for the input! Yeah Iíve read a lot of good things about the Jedi, plus the guys over there are pretty cool and super helpful. Sounds like Iím better off with the Jedi for what Iím going to use it for. Iím a bit relieved to hear that the handling is snappy. Itís going to take some time to adjust to the long wheelbase and slack HA but hopefully itíll inspire some confidence hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Word. The fork, rims and tires will be different for sure.

The BB, hubs, headset, seatpost and even the brake mount may be different. Not that the brake mount is that expensive, but it's just the point. Ttyl, Fahn
    Yup indeed, Iíve budgeted for that although brake mounts I did not account for. Arenít they standard-ish? The bolt pattern for M-820 and M-810 should be the same correct?
    The ďexpensiveĒ stuff I can transfer over is the brakes/disks, the Fox 40 (talked to Fox and turns out I can get a new 27.5 lower for $275 which would make the fork compatible with 650b), maybe some bits of the drivetrain and the front hub, mayyyybe the rear hub but Iím sure the spacing will be different. The main thing is the forkÖ. 1700 for a new 40 is a huge amount of moneyÖ.
    Any other recommendations are welcome!
    I'm the guy that blocks your view with a cloud of dust!

A landing that you can walk out of is a good landing!

mtbr member
    The brake mounts on forks are generally the 74mm post mount. That seemed to standardize about 7/8 years ago. But the back end of bikes always had the 51mm IS (international standard... Go figure!). In the last 2/3 years though, companies started to use the 74mm post mount on the back end also. So the new bike might be different, but it's only an adapter that should be around $20. Your brakes won't be an issue, just that mount.

Same topic, but a side note for the industry- The 51mm IS mount is so much better. Say we're just replacing pads. From a mechanics standpoint all you did with the IS was removed 2 bolts, with the caliper in hand you'd pry the pistons, replace the pads and put the 2 bolts back on. You "should" be aligned or really close.

With post mounts, you remove the 2 caliper bolts, in avids case all those washers and shims too. After changing the pads, you need avids encyclopedia to figure out all the shims again cause naturally you'll drop one, and spend another 5-10 minutes to realign the caliper.

Or say you're removing a fork. You take off the calipers 2 bolts, then the mounts 2 bolts. To reassemble you have to mount the mount, mount the caliper and realign the caliper. And again with the IS, you remove 2 bolts, you remount it with 2 bolts. Done. No alignment necessary. I'm just speaking from weekly experience.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Get the Jedi it's one hell of a bike. I've ridden many different bikes and the Jedi smokes em all. Why I ride a Jedi. Canfield for life.

mtbr member
    I'm about your height. Riding a 27.5 XL Jedi with works components 7mm reach adjust headset. I've been fortunate enough to have a number of very nice bikes, but the Jedi is by far my favorite.

May The Force Be With You
    The force is strong

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I could not agree with Colin M more!!! The JEDI is the most comfortable bike for over-shooting or full casing a jump. A lot of bikes you need to hit the sweet spot- The JEDI, just lob it down the trail and it will ride out! Its seriously a limb-saver!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    +1 Jedi.

Canfield 4 life!

May The Force Be With You
    Just because you claim not to be an "advanced rider" shouldn't keep you from getting a powerful Platform. I'm not a pro rider, just ask SMT. But Im still a member of the Empire!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser