new frame- Mtbr.com

Thread: new frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

new frame

iron horse yakuza kumicho 2005 frame broke size 19 I have fox 40 rc2 2009 I am looking for a new frame to replace, but I don't want to buy new forks I am want to keep the forks I ride at north star and I am 6-1 245 lbs with gear
    any suggestion on which frame will work for me
    thanks
    Frame: 1.5" Headtube Single pivot 8" travel w/ floating brake. Size 19"
    Fork: Fox 40 rc2
    R. Shock: Fifth Element 6 way (upgrade)
    Brakes: Hayes Nines w/ 8" rotors
    Chain guide: E-Thirteen SRS
    Crank: Truvativ Hussefelt
    R. derailleur: Sram X9 (upgrade)
    Cassette: Sram pg970 11T-26T (upgrade)
    Shifter: Sram X9 (upgrade)
    F. Hub: 20mm Formula
    R. Hub: 135mm 12mm Thru-axle
    Rims: Mavic 325 Disc
    Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt
    Bar: Truvativ Hussefelt
    Tires: Maxxis Highroller 2.7 front, 2.5 rear

mtbr member
    post this to the DH forum, much better response there. I would look at a Specialized Demo 8
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    With the 150mm hub standard taking over the dh market you only have a few frames to choose from. Intense 951 can be set up with 135 drop outs but with the 83bb standard you may have chain line issues. The demo is a great choice but I think the frame needs a 10 thru axle rear hub. I am going with the 951 myself but it is not cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 2010 Giant Glory looks like a steal at only $1600.00 and I think it takes a 135 hub. I also have a Kumicho, it's a 2008 with the 150mm hub and was thinking about a new frame but mines still solid so I might wait another year before replacing it. By the way, where did your frame break? Also, the new Transition DH bike - TR450 looks real nice and they usually have decent frame prices. You would have to go with a 150mm hub with the Transition. Don't rule out the Transition Blindside. It takes a 135mm hub and just might be better for you than the TR450 depending on what type of riding you do. If I were to replace my frame here is my short list in no particular order:

Chumba F5
    Intense 951
    Transition TR450
    Giant Glory
    Rocky Mountain Flatline (2010) You might be able to get a deal on a 2009 frame though.
    Last edited by ragman; 10-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.

RIDE4FUN
    Transition blindside. Single pivot 8 inch bike with 135 rear spacing that you can change dropouts to 10 or 12 and has a floating brake mount and 1.5" headtube. I think this meets all your specs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The frame broke on the right side by rear tire and pedal just between the Cassette and the
    Crank below the rear shock

mtbr member
    an orange 222ibs or 223ibs has around 8inch rear travel, 135mm rear spacing, you can change the drop outs as far as i can remember, has a floating brake, but only down side it does not have a 1.5" headtube, and being an orange its pretty dam strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Go back to school
    +1 on Giant Glory.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i say just go with an orange 223, and go with the 1/18 inch headtube, and the 150mm spacing. (i ride one) its a tank

Members who have read this thread: 0