New Fox Fork question....- Mtbr.com
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

New Fox Fork question....

I am looking at getting a new fox fork for my planet x. i want it to be around 100mm. i am looking at the fox talas rlc and the fox vanilla rlc. The main difference is the vanilla is coil and the talas is air.

I ride this bike mostly in town but i do hit drops and i am hoping to learn how to DJ with it. I dont want a zoke dj cuz they weigh 456346lbs. I weigh aboot 165. I also do trials stuff and some freeride....mostly about 5-6 foot drops in town about half to flat and half to tranny...unless the perfect 7 footer presents itself.

Any help would be awesome!
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    The talas is a sweet fork, but if your gonna be hitting the hucks to flat that you claim, I would suggest the vanilla rlc and lowering the travel to how much you want. If you can get toghether the coin I would try out a 36r.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    do you have an extra $150 to blow on a super-chi-chi fork that's gonna get beat up? if not, get the Vanilla. you won't be disappointed.

--edit--

by the way, if you go Vanilla, and get a 2004 or earlier, i have an orange spring that i don't need, if you want to stiffen it up considerably.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    do you have an extra $150 to blow on a super-chi-chi fork that's gonna get beat up? if not, get the Vanilla. you won't be disappointed.
    The 36r is more fork than i want...the firefly that i have sitting in my room is alil to much fork for my bike as well....

Schmeow Productions
    i have a vanilla rlc.. WAY better than my old zoke DJ

it is a little flexy (compared to the DJ), but sooooooo plush and i like it for djing.

plus, it smokes the pants off my bud's psylo...

if you got a pretty penny, get the sherman jumpers or flick plus... <--- but then again, u already got a fork like those, so go w/ the vanilla... might want to put diff springs in tho, i am 100 lbs (or less) and am running mediums w/ preload at max

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB

it is a little flexy (compared to the DJ), but sooooooo plush and i like it for djing.

wow! You don't mind if your fork just breaks clean off someday? I would never take a fox trail fork on any type of jumps. Although it would be nice to ride with such a light fork!

In general though, jumping/dropping = no good for Fox trail forks. I wouldn't worry about the occasional 2ft drop though, they're plenty strong for that. It's when you start getting into the 4 ft + stuff that you need some more beef (like the firefly).

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    wow! You don't mind if your fork just breaks clean off someday? I would never take a fox trail fork on any type of jumps. Although it would be nice to ride with such a light fork!

In general though, jumping/dropping = no good for Fox trail forks. I wouldn't worry about the occasional 2ft drop though, they're plenty strong for that. It's when you start getting into the 4 ft + stuff that you need some more beef (like the firefly).
    Depends on how smooth you are.......jeff lenosky rides a fox fork and he does way bigger stuff than i do, and carter holland, the man behind black market bikes also uses a talas on his ride....