New Fork and Updated Build Pictures- Mtbr.com
    N* Bomber Crew

New Fork and Updated Build Pictures

I recently got a few new things to round out my build for my Weyless 67. I got a 2005 Sherman Slider Plus brand new for $265 dollars. I also got a full Sram X.9 Drivetrain to boot as well. I most recently got the fork, and I thought I would share some pictures, as well as fill you guys on with my first "Manipoo" fork.

2005 Sherman Slider Plus Review:

Initial Thoughts: Before I get started, I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the fork, so opinions may change. When I was purchasing the fork, I was mega skeptacle. This was my first Manitou fork, and I had some doubts in my mind, specifically with relability. I wasn't super worried about the product I was getting, just more so the reliability that came behind it. I put the doubts aside and purchased one. Another nice fact is that its A to C is respectable, and its weight is very much so as well.

Setup: Setup was easy and painless, even if it was my first DC fork. Mounting the brake calpier was a little funky because I had to buy a new adaptor, but it wasn't a major problem. Everything fit into place and worked.

Dampning and Fork Feel: I really don't know what people were talking about with SPV-E feeling "bad". SPV-E is a huge upgrade over my Marzocchi fork which had SSVF Dampning in it. Granted I could thrash it and it would still operate the same it always does, it kinda left me wanting more out of a fork. The Dampning and Fork Feel of the Sherman Slider Plus was far superior to my Z150 Drop Off. Its very smooth and responsive at times. It also handles small bumps very well. Tuning it to the way I wanted was very easy, and painless. The fork feels great and I can't wait till it fully breaks in.

Strength: I'm not concerned about flex at all. The fork feels very stiff. Thanks to the dual crowns and Hex-Lock axle, the fork feels very stiff and rigid.

Overall: I think a lot of people here (Including myself) got too attached to a product that they weren't willing to give other products a shot. I was a true Marzocchi fanboy, and I thought every Manitou was crap. Until I finally hopped aboard my Sherman for the first time, my opinions completley changed around. I'll for sure ride any fork, but we all need to remember to try it for ourselves first before making a harsh judgement. Every fork company has their fare share of crappy forks. I'm glad I gave Manitou a shot. I still saved my Z150 in case I ever want to use it again, but for the future, Manitou does have some good stuff left in them.

Onto the photos! I cleaned up my bike for the "Off season" and it looks mega clean, here are the pictures:

#1: The Fork
    #2: Upclose
    #3: Profile...mega clean
    #4: Greeeeeeeeeen
    #5: Hm...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

East Coast Style
    looks good. i personally like the sherman line-up (i ride a firefly and my buddys got a breakout). They both ride really well and are strong too. bike looks good, clean as hell too
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

crumb
    I was thinking of putting that same fork on my 67. Whered you get it for $265?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    Very strange way. I price matched it and also got another 5% ontop of that off as well. It SOMEHOW worked out to 265.

I hate texas
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself

Look on some of the boards (RM) and ebay, they are giving them away, and for good reason.

Raptordude, you like to type, dont you?
    Last edited by Chicodude01; 01-08-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Respect Cape Cult Member #21 "The California Respector"

ride hard take risks
    Very nice looker, well done .
    I have the FireFly 2005 my only complaint is lack of low speed bump absorbtion, the bottom out is too effective & no replacement Ti spring. Could be the differance between 7 & 6in forks, 7 seems to not have the same problems as the 6. I'm older i like it plush.

Your 67 is quite nice, very solid parts build .

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicodude01
    Look on some of the boards (RM) and ebay, they are giving them away, and for good reason.

Raptordude, you like to type, dont you?

I love to write reviews actually. I like to be INFORMATIVE and tell people the specific details on MTBR when I get a new product. I hate reading reviews on MTBR that just say "This Fork rocks, it feels good, get it!"

And thats why.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I love to write reviews actually. I like to be INFORMATIVE and tell people the specific details on MTBR when I get a new product. I hate reading reviews on MTBR that just say "This Fork rocks, it feels good, get it!"

And thats why.
    I actually love Manitou forks, but was never fond of SPV or SPV Evolve. Small bump compliance was ok, but not great. I had problems with the fork feeling notchy, almost as if it were spiking. But I still liked it better than my Marzocchis. Manitou has always taken care of me, unlike Marzocchi. The dampening is terrific, and the forks are very stiff.

N* Bomber Crew
    I forgot to take a picture of it, but is it a good idea to run the brake cables on the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside on the swingarm? I got a very small part showing at the bottom which exposes part of my Hydraulic Brake...

kona-tize me captain
    sick looking bike man, my freind just got that fork for his switch
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    1st shot is SEXY!! Almost as nice as mine So what's the weight and AtoC?

ride hard take risks
    I forgot to take a picture of it, but is it a good idea to run the brake cables on the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside on the swingarm? I got a very small part showing at the bottom which exposes part of my Hydraulic Brake...
    If it is safe i would run the hose inside, something less to get snaged by anything .

Meh.
    That's a whole mess of cables, housing, and hoses. Trim some of that. Run the front brake line from the front, in between the stanchions, to the back. That's what I did. protected the front brake hose some. Run the rear hose/cables through the frame where you can. Shorten up those shift cables as much as you, and be sure to use smooth runs. You'll notice a significant improvement in shifting.

Portland, OR
    Nice fork and build. I've always loved my manitous. do you have the "small" version ? because my kingpin is a "small" fork and the crowns look the same.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Innovate or die!
    yeah it seems the sherman's are hit or miss.

I know people who love theirs and swear by it, and have never seen one personally with any exterior problems (seals, snapped, etc).

My good buddy had one that was the worst POS, got 4 inches of travel even with soft spring. He recently bought a team-used 40RC2, and stays up all night rubbing himself.

Anyway, that is sure as heck an upgrade on your bike, congrats man! Hope to see you around sometime, if not enjoy it till the otter.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Way to go...i love my sherman firefly. I just got it but i am in love with it already. I was a marzocchi guy until i got the sherman. Changed my mind completely. Nice pictures as well.

Glad to Be Alive
    congrats.........the fork will feel good for the first month maybe 3 months and then start to deteriate....then finally be a lop of junk
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    some time has passed... how does the fork still feel? im considering one that has race internals and such...

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    looks good man. i have a slider on my marin team dh and i love it. also i have a firefly on my p1 its hella good compared to my old mz comp fork. arnt u gona be at sea otter?

mtbr member
    Nice bike ::

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    some time has passed... how does the fork still feel? im considering one that has race internals and such...
    I really like it...I haven't thrown a ton of DH at it yet (Its non stop rain up here.......) but I love the way it feels on my bike. Feels very blanced, plush, and has a great dampning feeling.

ride hard take risks
    Cable/Hose nazzi

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The fork looks great on the 67. Very nice combo.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Members who have read this thread: 0