New fork arrives- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 91 of 91
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486

    No good New fork arrives

    Well the 888r arrived today. I took it out of the box, drooled over it for about 10 min. and then put it in the stand to change out the springs. I called up Marzocchi and talked to a guy who works on these forks all day to get the lowdown on how to change the springs properly. After he broke it on down to me I began disassembling it. There's a red nut that acts as a jam nut that sits right below the top piece that screws into the stanchion, well I was instructed to hold the lower shaft while unscrewing the top cap and sure enough the lower shaft piece snaps at the threads. WTF!!!??? I immediately called up Marz and explained the situation, you know what they said? "Did you buy the tool we make to hold the lower shaft?" "No" I said..."Well that is needed to remove the top cap, looks like you'll have to order a new compression internal shaft" Uh, wtf kind of sh!t is that? All I did was clamp the lower shaft with a pair of plyers and a cloth to protect the shaft, the thread snaps causing it to get stuck in the top cap and now "I" have to pay for the faulty metal threaded shaft? I talked it over with the other guys in my shop, brought it up with my manager, talked to about 2 other people from Marzocchi after being put on hold for 20 min. at a time and getting disconnected and what's the end result?

    Well my whole shop thinks it should be a warranty issue thanks to the faulty weak metal thread, but according to Marzocchi it was my fault because we didn't have their $15 tool that basically serves as a vice grip to hold the shaft...

    I know some of you are going to tell me that it was my fault for not using their special tool but this can be done without the tool, and if it's that friggin' delicate, why wasn't I warned? And if it needs a special tool, why don't they include it with every fork? I mean it's not like I'm buying a $200 fork here, these puppies are 6 times that!

    I'm posting this because I'm furious, but ranting on here doesn't really serve a purpose, the main reason I wanted to share this with ya'll is so you know what kind of service Marzocchi is dishing out, not only to a consumer, but to a 7 chain bike store who buys multiple items from them.

    So now I'm stuck with another $100 bill for this shaft, the tool, and shipping($10).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    dude...that blows hardcore...my sympathy goes out to u...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    161

    sux

    I bought there tool but that was after i had allready changed my springs i used rubber coated vice grips i dont think thread were faulty all 888 internals are delicate compasred to there other forks also are you guys authorised service cause marz customer service is usually great

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    dude...that blows hardcore...my sympathy goes out to u...
    Thanks man, I'm pretty bummed!

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by bamxbam
    I bought there tool but that was after i had allready changed my springs i used rubber coated vice grips i dont think thread were faulty all 888 internals are delicate compasred to there other forks also are you guys authorised service cause marz customer service is usually great
    Not sure what you mean by authorized service. The Marzocchi techs have been real friendly and willing to walk me through everything I call them for. It's that chick at the front "Bonny" and the warranty department I'm not to impressed with.

    I just can't believe that the thread would snap the way it did, are real eye popper and the question of durability comes to my mind. I might do as some of the others on here have been talking about, using a fork that is tried and true like the shiver, possibly even scratching Marzocchi all together due to the issues I've been having...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,130
    OK, you work for a 7 chain bike store, and everyone in the shop feels there is a problem. Does Marzocchi not have a rep that visits your shop(s) on a semi regular basis? Or are Marzocchi suppliers forced to go through the same warranty department as the general public. If this is the case why would I take my Marzocchi fork to a LBS to do the warranty work for me?

    If you do have a Marzocchi rep what was their take on the situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Well the 888r arrived today. I took it out of the box, drooled over it for about 10 min. and then put it in the stand to change out the springs. I called up Marzocchi and talked to a guy who works on these forks all day to get the lowdown on how to change the springs properly. After he broke it on down to me I began disassembling it. There's a red nut that acts as a jam nut that sits right below the top piece that screws into the stanchion, well I was instructed to hold the lower shaft while unscrewing the top cap and sure enough the lower shaft piece snaps at the threads. WTF!!!??? I immediately called up Marz and explained the situation, you know what they said? "Did you buy the tool we make to hold the lower shaft?" "No" I said..."Well that is needed to remove the top cap, looks like you'll have to order a new compression internal shaft" Uh, wtf kind of sh!t is that? All I did was clamp the lower shaft with a pair of plyers and a cloth to protect the shaft, the thread snaps causing it to get stuck in the top cap and now "I" have to pay for the faulty metal threaded shaft? I talked it over with the other guys in my shop, brought it up with my manager, talked to about 2 other people from Marzocchi after being put on hold for 20 min. at a time and getting disconnected and what's the end result?

    Well my whole shop thinks it should be a warranty issue thanks to the faulty weak metal thread, but according to Marzocchi it was my fault because we didn't have their $15 tool that basically serves as a vice grip to hold the shaft...

    I know some of you are going to tell me that it was my fault for not using their special tool but this can be done without the tool, and if it's that friggin' delicate, why wasn't I warned? And if it needs a special tool, why don't they include it with every fork? I mean it's not like I'm buying a $200 fork here, these puppies are 6 times that!

    I'm posting this because I'm furious, but ranting on here doesn't really serve a purpose, the main reason I wanted to share this with ya'll is so you know what kind of service Marzocchi is dishing out, not only to a consumer, but to a 7 chain bike store who buys multiple items from them.

    So now I'm stuck with another $100 bill for this shaft, the tool, and shipping($10).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,796
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Well the 888r arrived today. I took it out of the box, drooled over it for about 10 min. and then put it in the stand to change out the springs. I called up Marzocchi and talked to a guy who works on these forks all day to get the lowdown on how to change the springs properly. After he broke it on down to me I began disassembling it. There's a red nut that acts as a jam nut that sits right below the top piece that screws into the stanchion, well I was instructed to hold the lower shaft while unscrewing the top cap and sure enough the lower shaft piece snaps at the threads. WTF!!!??? I immediately called up Marz and explained the situation, you know what they said? "Did you buy the tool we make to hold the lower shaft?" "No" I said..."Well that is needed to remove the top cap, looks like you'll have to order a new compression internal shaft" Uh, wtf kind of sh!t is that? All I did was clamp the lower shaft with a pair of plyers and a cloth to protect the shaft, the thread snaps causing it to get stuck in the top cap and now "I" have to pay for the faulty metal threaded shaft? I talked it over with the other guys in my shop, brought it up with my manager, talked to about 2 other people from Marzocchi after being put on hold for 20 min. at a time and getting disconnected and what's the end result?

    Well my whole shop thinks it should be a warranty issue thanks to the faulty weak metal thread, but according to Marzocchi it was my fault because we didn't have their $15 tool that basically serves as a vice grip to hold the shaft...

    I know some of you are going to tell me that it was my fault for not using their special tool but this can be done without the tool, and if it's that friggin' delicate, why wasn't I warned? And if it needs a special tool, why don't they include it with every fork? I mean it's not like I'm buying a $200 fork here, these puppies are 6 times that!

    I'm posting this because I'm furious, but ranting on here doesn't really serve a purpose, the main reason I wanted to share this with ya'll is so you know what kind of service Marzocchi is dishing out, not only to a consumer, but to a 7 chain bike store who buys multiple items from them.

    So now I'm stuck with another $100 bill for this shaft, the tool, and shipping($10).

    I assume you broke loose the red jam nut first? the shaft broke when trying to remove the top cap (jam nut allready loose)? Well I did this procedure on an 02' Z1 Freeride and was told that there was a possibility of breakage - I asked if they broke on them? "no" usually for in experienced wrenches - Well I had no problem. I feel Marzocchi offers a good service giving tech. advice though it may contain holes for those w/o experience. Same goes for most service manuals they are supplements to experience. Not saying you didn't have a faulty shaft but it is hard to put the blame on someone else. If Marzocchi broke it they would have to buy it , if a bike shop broke it they would buy it, you broke it so you would have to buy it. Like the saying goes " you broke it you bought it" fair or not.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Logicbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55

    Idea! Marzocchi

    One of the Reason's why I ride MANITOU forks. There are no special tools to work on the forks except for the Dorado(a bleed kit, b/c of the fork works). Plus I think the stuff works better. I use to deal with marzocchi stuff on a regular basis and when I spoke to the tecs over there I had nothing but goods things to say about them, I still think they are great guys. Personally I would ditch the 888 and buy a dorado, its a great fork that works great in any situation. Hell...........Cedric won the red bull rampage on a dorado and then went out and raced with the same fork. Since you work for a large shop I'm sure you could get a good deal on the fork. Plus you don't need any special tools to change out the spring stack. its all a matter of taking off a cap and sliding the spring stack out, put in the ones you need and put the cap back on. ALSO......you don't need to order the fork and then another set of springs, its already comes with a full range of springs to conform to any rider weight.
    BUY MANITOU
    my 2 cents
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Logicbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, retarded people should probably not be permitted to work on forks. It's the shops fault that they didn't have the tool and worked on the fork, so your beef is not with marzocchi, who clearly states in their manual that spring-changing is to be done at authorized marzocchi service centers using specific tools. The 888 is a race fork, and 8" of travel for 7.5lbs is going to mean that somewhere along the line they are saving weight by going to extremes, like with the preload system and new cartridges. Stop crying and realize that the problem is the shop, not marzocchi, OR it's with yourself if this shop is so great. Did the shop call marzocchi to make sure they had everything to work on a fork that they'd never worked on before?
    I think that you are a Marzocchi employee trying to help cover your back on this situation. Do you work for Marzocchi?
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

  10. #10
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    "Did you buy the tool we make to hold the lower shaft?" "No" I said..."Well that is needed to remove the top cap, looks like you'll have to order a new compression internal shaft" Uh, wtf kind of sh!t is that? .
    Well, retarded people should probably not be permitted to work on forks. It's the shops fault that they didn't have the tool and worked on the fork, so your beef is not with marzocchi, who clearly states in their manual that spring-changing is to be done at authorized marzocchi service centers using specific tools. The 888 is a race fork, and 8" of travel for 7.5lbs is going to mean that somewhere along the line they are saving weight by going to extremes, like with the preload system and new cartridges. Stop crying and realize that the problem is the shop, not marzocchi, OR it's with yourself if this shop is so great. Did the shop call marzocchi to make sure they had everything to work on a fork that they'd never worked on before?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  11. #11
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicbike
    I think that you are a Marzocchi employee trying to help cover your back on this situation. Do you work for Marzocchi?
    No, I work for common sense and accountability.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Logicbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    No, I work for common sense and accountability.
    I think its Marzoochi's fault on this situation, not for having a faulty part but that the tec told the guy what to do and it sounds like he did not mention the need for a special tool in order to change a spring stack. I could totally understand if the shop did not originally call to verify the proper steps to change a spring and then them breaking a part, yea it would be there dime on that screw up, but the tec told the guy what to do. Maybe there tecs should be more aware and ask the shop if they have the proper tools to service the forks before they work on them. I can totally see where you are coming from and respect that. Then again, its also good business to take care of the shops that do good business with the manufacturs and since the guy just bought the fork and it hadn't even seen trail. I would have just taken care of the guy right away rather then have him go onto a message board and talk bad news about the fork and the marzocchi service dept. just my opinion.
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

  13. #13
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    Bwahahahahahaha...... i told you he would be back in a little bit whining about his 888

    (that does suck though, you should try to re-call Marzocchi)


  14. #14
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicbike
    I think its Marzoochi's fault on this situation, not for having a faulty part but that the tec told the guy what to do and it sounds like he did not mention the need for a special tool in order to change a spring stack. I could totally understand if the shop did not originally call to verify the proper steps to change a spring and then them breaking a part, yea it would be there dime on that screw up, but the tec told the guy what to do. Maybe there tecs should be more aware and ask the shop if they have the proper tools to service the forks before they work on them. I can totally see where you are coming from and respect that. Then again, its also good business to take care of the shops that do good business with the manufacturs and since the guy just bought the fork and it hadn't even seen trail. I would have just taken care of the guy right away rather then have him go onto a message board and talk bad news about the fork and the marzocchi service dept. just my opinion.
    except that no where in there did he say that he asked if he needed any special tools, the mazocchi guys sound like they assumed the shop did, which doesn't sound too outlandish to me.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Logicbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    except that no where in there did he say that he asked if he needed any special tools, the mazocchi guys sound like they assumed the shop did, which doesn't sound too outlandish to me.

    this is true...............yet I still think marzocchi should have tried to do something for the guy rather than shoot me down due to the fact that its a brand new fork.
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

  16. #16
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicbike
    this is true...............yet I still think marzocchi should have tried to do something for the guy rather than shoot me down due to the fact that its a brand new fork.
    i think i am going to take a hammer to my new DJ1, after i smash it up,marzo should hook me up. after all, it is a new fork...


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Logicbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i think i am going to take a hammer to my new DJ1, after i smash it up,marzo should hook me up. after all, it is a new fork...

    HAHA very funny
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

  18. #18
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dante

    (can't we just get back to talking about how boxxers are filled with plastic parts? )
    i heard they were filled with sand


  19. #19
    New project, TBA shortly
    Reputation: dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    except that no where in there did he say that he asked if he needed any special tools, the mazocchi guys sound like they assumed the shop did, which doesn't sound too outlandish to me.
    well, he asked how to change the spring, and the tech guy told him, but ommitted the little fact of a special tool needed. C'mon, he told him to hold one piece in place while unscrewing something else, but neglected to tell him he needed a special tool for that one piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_Up
    to get the lowdown on how to change the springs properly... well I was instructed to hold the lower shaft while unscrewing the top cap...
    If the tech said to hold the lower shaft, but neglected to mention that it had to be done with a specific marzocchi-only tool, then yeah, I think Marz should cough up the replacement.

    dante
    (can't we just get back to talking about how boxxers are filled with plastic parts? )

  20. #20
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    (can't we just get back to talking about how boxxers are filled with plastic parts? )

    Yeah, well after everybody has complained about 8.7lb shivers and such, it gets difficult to build a fork that is "as strong" or whatever in all areas, and get the weight down. With as heavy as marz forks usually are, and with 8" of travel, I have to wonder how much the 888 can really take and if it is really going to hold up to the kind of abusive riding that marz usually do. It might be fine, and the weight is pretty impressive....but...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  21. #21
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, retarded people should probably not be permitted to work on forks. It's the shops fault that they didn't have the tool and worked on the fork, so your beef is not with marzocchi, who clearly states in their manual that spring-changing is to be done at authorized marzocchi service centers using specific tools. The 888 is a race fork, and 8" of travel for 7.5lbs is going to mean that somewhere along the line they are saving weight by going to extremes, like with the preload system and new cartridges. Stop crying and realize that the problem is the shop, not marzocchi, OR it's with yourself if this shop is so great. Did the shop call marzocchi to make sure they had everything to work on a fork that they'd never worked on before?

    I agree Jm.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  22. #22
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    All I did was clamp the lower shaft with a pair of plyers and a cloth to protect the shaft, the thread snaps causing it to get stuck in the top cap and now "I" have to pay for the faulty metal threaded shaft? ........

    Well my whole shop thinks it should be a warranty issue thanks to the faulty weak metal thread, but according to Marzocchi it was my fault because we didn't have their $15 tool that basically serves as a vice grip to hold the shaft...
    well its your fault for not being qualified to work on the fork, pure and simple. You dove in, did something you shouldnt have and it broke. Next time you'll know better, and hopefully some people here will too. Its sucks that it happened, but these things do.

    Put this in the context of disassembling a car engine and no one would say boo....

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    OK, you work for a 7 chain bike store, and everyone in the shop feels there is a problem. Does Marzocchi not have a rep that visits your shop(s) on a semi regular basis? Or are Marzocchi suppliers forced to go through the same warranty department as the general public. If this is the case why would I take my Marzocchi fork to a LBS to do the warranty work for me?

    If you do have a Marzocchi rep what was their take on the situation?
    I work at a 7 chain bike store and no, there is not a marzocchi rep that comes around frequently, maybe once a year. The reason you go through a shop for warranty work is because that's how Marzocchi has it setup. They make us deal with your problem over the phone, probably so they don't have to hear the customer with the broken fork gripe. In my case, I'm the guy that calls up the reps so when I phoned Marzocchi, explained the situation, I was told that it wasn't a warranty issue. The threads cracked and snapped off, I'm not sure how this wasn't a warranty issue but I'm seriously considering on selling the fork when the new part arrives and never buying another Marzocchi fork again. Which sucks for me because they do make some good forks, but I refuse to support or sport a fork made by a company that won't warranty such a product weakness. My shop manager along with all the other mech's in "our" store couldn't believe that the part snapped off where it did, and as they all stared at me while I was on the phone with Marzocchi they just shook their head in disbelief when I got off the phone regarding it not getting warrantied. Were talking about a brand new fork, just out of the box.

    I guess the weight they saved with this fork was compromised with the durability of the parts...

    I just wish the dorado's were a bit cheaper, not sure what fork I'm going to run as I don't want to support a company with weak warranty issues!

  24. #24
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    The threads cracked and snapped off, I'm not sure how this wasn't a warranty issue but I'm seriously considering on selling the fork when the new part arrives and never buying another Marzocchi fork again.
    when you snap the head off an aluminum Magura HS-33 bolt because you over-torqued it (as i have), do you consider that a warranty situation?

    if theres no manufacturing defect, its not a warranty situation. You broke it by not using the proper tools and proper method, thats why it broke.

    You want higher-tech racy stuff, expect things to get more finicky.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Peete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    134
    Dude, you got the shaft.
    Bwahahahaha

    Sorry, someone had to say it.

    I called up Marz about disassembling my 03 SuperT to top off the oil. I couldn't find the instructions on the website. The tech was very helpful and offered to email the manual in PDF. Plus he gave me a couple,"Oh, by the way"s that were useful. Reading the text and looking at the pictures really helped.

    Was there a manual even mentioned for the 888?
    Be thankful Marzocchi will even talk to the end user.
    RockShok won't.
    Turn your head and cough.

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Peete
    Dude, you got the shaft.
    Bwahahahaha

    Sorry, someone had to say it.

    I called up Marz about disassembling my 03 SuperT to top off the oil. I couldn't find the instructions on the website. The tech was very helpful and offered to email the manual in PDF. Plus he gave me a couple,"Oh, by the way"s that were useful. Reading the text and looking at the pictures really helped.

    Was there a manual even mentioned for the 888?
    Be thankful Marzocchi will even talk to the end user.
    RockShok won't.
    That's just it, Marzocchi doesn't offer manuals on how to work on your forks. I'm not thankful for anything regarding this issue. Besides, the end user in this case is also a bike shop mechanic so they have to talk to me as I'm the guy calling them all the time when we have issues with the forks of our customers. I'm actually glad someone said that though, I truely got the shaft in this case!

  27. #27
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    That's just it, Marzocchi doesn't offer manuals on how to work on your forks. I'm not thankful for anything regarding this issue. Besides, the end user in this case is also a bike shop mechanic so they have to talk to me as I'm the guy calling them all the time when we have issues with the forks of our customers. I'm actually glad someone said that though, I truely got the shaft in this case!
    Dude, no offense but that whole complaint is weak. I mean yeah I can see you being pissed off at this happening, but honestly even though it sounds like you should have been able to do it without the proper tools, you didn't. And so Marzocchi should have the right to refuse warranty for you not using the intended tools for your fork. And there is a good reason for them not including specific manuals with their forks anymore. It's probably so that people who don't know what they are doing don't try to take apart their forks and mess something up. That way you take it to a certified Marzocchi mechanic to overhaul or whatever. The reason behind this is to not only save people's forks from their lack of knowledge, but to probably keep people from bugging them with silly warranty issues because they messed the threads up on their top caps or messed up when replacing seals and did something to it. And as for your whole never buying from Marzocchi again thing....I can see why you would be mad after going through so many forks, but its from your lack of happiness and being satisfied with the performance of the forks, not the actual forks themselves. You forget that you didn't really tweak your SuperT around at all to make it feel better other than doing a generalized tweak by the Zocchi Tech Department. At this rate you'll have gone through a Slider+, Dorado, DoradoWorks, Boxxer, and White Brothers all before July.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,471
    seems the tech guy you talked to on the phone should have mentioned it. i'd be peeved.

  29. #29
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, retarded people should probably not be permitted to work on forks. It's the shops fault that they didn't have the tool and worked on the fork, so your beef is not with marzocchi, who clearly states in their manual that spring-changing is to be done at authorized marzocchi service centers using specific tools. The 888 is a race fork, and 8" of travel for 7.5lbs is going to mean that somewhere along the line they are saving weight by going to extremes, like with the preload system and new cartridges. Stop crying and realize that the problem is the shop, not marzocchi, OR it's with yourself if this shop is so great. Did the shop call marzocchi to make sure they had everything to work on a fork that they'd never worked on before?
    Thanks for the insult, I'll remember that when we meet up for a group ride. I'm the only one in my shop that has the balls or skills to work on the shop, if you were there, you wouldn't be saying this.

    Cheers Fvk

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I assume you broke loose the red jam nut first? the shaft broke when trying to remove the top cap (jam nut allready loose)? Well I did this procedure on an 02' Z1 Freeride and was told that there was a possibility of breakage - I asked if they broke on them? "no" usually for in experienced wrenches - Well I had no problem. I feel Marzocchi offers a good service giving tech. advice though it may contain holes for those w/o experience. Same goes for most service manuals they are supplements to experience. Not saying you didn't have a faulty shaft but it is hard to put the blame on someone else. If Marzocchi broke it they would have to buy it , if a bike shop broke it they would buy it, you broke it so you would have to buy it. Like the saying goes " you broke it you bought it" fair or not.
    Totally agreed, but, I had the tech walk me through it step my step and guess what, it still broke.

  31. #31
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    I wish some people could leave old post discrepencies behind, my tools at the shop and mech. knowledge has nothing to do with the fact that a threaded long shaft snapped on the threads. I wish you all could of been there to see how this all went down. It's all good though, I still got a good deal on the fork, even with the extra part I had to order, I'll be selling it for more than what I paid for it, with the part, never to return to a marz. fork. It just sucks that this had to happen. I was happy with the techs, they are good guys at Marz.., seriously, it's the fact that this "IS" a warranty issue and the warranty department feels that its not, therefore why should I keep or mess with a fork that could have other issues down the line, that Marz. is just going to make another excuse for? I'm going to try Manitou and see how they handle buisiness.

    It's also rather lame that I get flammers in here ripping on my posts just because they think they know everything. I'm not posting in here to bad mouth any company, I'm just reporting what happened in my case so that others may avoid the same problems, but theres always going to be a prick in the bunch, if not a few.

    Thanks to those with open minds, to those who are just stupid, start trying to think before you talk, and stop holding grudges from other posts.

  32. #32
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I wish some people could leave old post discrepencies behind, my tools at the shop and mech. knowledge has nothing to do with the fact that a threaded long shaft snapped on the threads. I wish you all could of been there to see how this all went down. It's all good though, I still got a good deal on the fork, even with the extra part I had to order, I'll be selling it for more than what I paid for it, with the part, never to return to a marz. fork. It just sucks that this had to happen. I was happy with the techs, they are good guys at Marz.., seriously, it's the fact that this "IS" a warranty issue and the warranty department feels that its not, therefore why should I keep or mess with a fork that could have other issues down the line, that Marz. is just going to make another excuse for? I'm going to try Manitou and see how they handle buisiness.

    It's also rather lame that I get flammers in here ripping on my posts just because they think they know everything. I'm not posting in here to bad mouth any company, I'm just reporting what happened in my case so that others may avoid the same problems, but theres always going to be a prick in the bunch, if not a few.

    Thanks to those with open minds, to those who are just stupid, start trying to think before you talk, and stop holding grudges from other posts.
    I think it would clear it up for the board better if you explained how the threads stripped out. As in, when you were turning it was it easy to move and then you saw the threads were strippING, or did you have to forcefully turn it and then realize it? Cuz I could see it being a warranty issue if they were stripped prior to you trying to remove it, or even if the thing was threaded wrongfully. But it seems that marzocchi has a legitimet(sp?) reason to say that it isn't a warranty issue. Becuase you might have been doing something that doesn't seem wrong but really is. Not trying to falme, but just trying to say what my opinion is. Good luck with Manitous.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  33. #33
    iam
    iam is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, retarded people should probably not be permitted to work on forks.
    Just as retarded people shouldn't be permitted to post here.

    Give the guy a break. Sh|t can happen even to the best bike mechs in the world, all you guys are assuming so far is a lack of knowledge/bad shop/wrong tool issue... but what if it was really the fork?
    Don't be so quick to judge people, especially on the internet....

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    I can't tell from the pic where it broke--maybe it didn't upload completely.

    How different internally is the 888 vs. the Z1 or Z150? On the Z1 there is a red jam nut that has some flats on it for a wrench. You put a wrench on that and a socket on the top cap and break the two apart. Are you saying you didn't put a wrench on the red jam nut at all but instead put a pair of pliers on the actual damper rod to clamp it and keep it from turning? And that's what you're supposed to do? That doesn't make any sense to me.

  35. #35
    painfully ordinary
    Reputation: doubleA's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    302

    Bummer man,

    ya that blows. I thought that kind of hard @ss luck only happend to me. Well, I guess you can chalk that up to it being "just one of those things".......sucks. Move on, get your manatau, and ride your bike. To bad about all the negative BS in the other posts. anyhow, I cant read my writing, is it 2323 or 2223? Dont need the whole Ad. just the #. good luck. - Kenny -
    I got nuthin......

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,796
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I wish some people could leave old post discrepencies behind, my tools at the shop and mech. knowledge has nothing to do with the fact that a threaded long shaft snapped on the threads. I wish you all could of been there to see how this all went down. It's all good though, I still got a good deal on the fork, even with the extra part I had to order, I'll be selling it for more than what I paid for it, with the part, never to return to a marz. fork. It just sucks that this had to happen. I was happy with the techs, they are good guys at Marz.., seriously, it's the fact that this "IS" a warranty issue and the warranty department feels that its not, therefore why should I keep or mess with a fork that could have other issues down the line, that Marz. is just going to make another excuse for? I'm going to try Manitou and see how they handle buisiness.

    It's also rather lame that I get flammers in here ripping on my posts just because they think they know everything. I'm not posting in here to bad mouth any company, I'm just reporting what happened in my case so that others may avoid the same problems, but theres always going to be a prick in the bunch, if not a few.

    Thanks to those with open minds, to those who are just stupid, start trying to think before you talk, and stop holding grudges from other posts.

    I purchased a brand new K2 EVO frame last year. I wanted to polish the swingarm so it had to be removed. There are 2 6mm allen screws that need to be removed . The first one unthreaded w/o a problem. The second made it a quarter turn w/ minimal force then got really easy - too easy - the bolt has sheared in half. I was in shock. I took it straight to a local machine shop w/ fastener removal experience. They removed the bolt and noted that the fastener was cross threaded during assembly - they ended up having to helicoil the threads. I called K2 and explained my problem hoping they would warrant the swingarm. After all brand new shoudn't have to be heli-coiled. The warranty rep. was really cool but noted it is really hard for a consumer to validate broken fasteners. I was told to turn the tables and try and understand how it sounds " I was just turning the bolt and it snapped ". Unless Marzocchi or half the posters were standing over your shoulders to witness your problem it is hard to validate.

  37. #37
    4NAK8R
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    It's all good though, I still got a good deal on the fork, even with the extra part I had to order, I'll be selling it for more than what I paid for it, with the part, never to return to a marz. fork.
    So does this mean you will be changing your avatar? Poor old avatar.
    Enjoy Life, Eat Out More Often

  38. #38
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Just a quick commentary, without being as inflammitory as Jm was:

    Think about how many idotic, hamfisted mechanics there are. People who think "Hey, I can just do this myself, why have a shop charge me?" People who don't research anything. People who think torque wrenches are are stupid.

    Marzocchi can't warrenty the kind of crap that people can do to their parts trying to service them at home. So, as a result, someone who is competent and simply got a bad part gets screwed. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. Same way lots of companies don't have good warrenty departments, because a million people call up with their DH frame cracked in 6 places, with a blown shock and an ovalized headtube, and claim they were riding along their local town bike path when it happened.

    Anyway, sorry to hear it. But consider Marzocchi's side of it - they get dumbass warrenty claims every single day where people snap their forks in half and say they were JRA. They need to have authorized mechanics working on it, with the right tools, to make sure the service is of good quality.

    Still sucks, though. Hope you get everything straightened out.

  39. #39
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Think about how many idotic, hamfisted mechanics there are. People who think "Hey, I can just do this myself, why have a shop charge me?" People who don't research anything. People who think torque wrenches are are stupid.

    Marzocchi can't warrenty the kind of crap that people can do to their parts trying to service them at home.
    yup, thats the way i see it. And especially since just two weeks ago, he didnt know how to get the c-clips off the SuperT or other elementary mech practices, i would not consider him to be an experienced or knowledgable mechanic, hence not a qualified one. Sorry to be so blunt but the benefit of the doubt goes to Marz on this one, and it really irks me that blame is automatically shifted to the fork and Marz's stance on warranty in this situation, instead of perhaps accepting that maybe you ****ed up and broke it at no fault of the fork (hey, everyones made these types of mistakes, but most will accept responsibility). It is possible that there was a defect or the fork was assembled improperly at the factory, but also the dissambly produre did involve a special tool to avoid this (no doubt Marz themselves broke this part and realised they needed a tool after the fact), and this was also brought up in other forums, so the proper procedure is known to be crucial. Had you been a qualified Marz technician and participated in the bi-yearly seminars like most good LBSs do, then this story might of been different.

    And dont whine how others are taking sides on this, this is public forum and not everyones gonna give you sympathy just because your looking for it. Myself I see this as a cautionary tale about being a good wrench and being knowledgable and competant in the components you wrench on, not how Marz wont accept a warranty claim despite you making the public assertion that somehow it is; you are not qualified to make that assessment.

  40. #40
    jibber of the unjibbable
    Reputation: Cooter.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    yup, thats the way i see it. And especially since just two weeks ago, he didnt know how to get the c-clips off the SuperT or other elementary mech practices, i would not consider him to be an experienced or knowledgable mechanic, hence not a qualified one. Sorry to be so blunt but the benefit of the doubt goes to Marz on this one, and it really irks me that blame is automatically shifted to the fork and Marz's stance on warranty in this situation, instead of perhaps accepting that maybe you ****ed up and broke it at no fault of the fork (hey, everyones made these types of mistakes, but most will accept responsibility). It is possible that there was a defect or the fork was assembled improperly at the factory, but also the dissambly produre did involve a special tool to avoid this (no doubt Marz themselves broke this part and realised they needed a tool after the fact), and this was also brought up in other forums, so the proper procedure is known to be crucial. Had you been a qualified Marz technician and participated in the bi-yearly seminars like most good LBSs do, then this story might of been different.

    And dont whine how others are taking sides on this, this is public forum and not everyones gonna give you sympathy just because your looking for it. Myself I see this as a cautionary tale about being a good wrench and being knowledgable and competant in the components you wrench on, not how Marz wont accept a warranty claim despite you making the public assertion that somehow it is; you are not qualified to make that assessment.


    Big Meanie!! You as a moderator are supposed to give him e-hugs and pat him on the shoulder and tell him everything is gonna be alright
    Boogie down to free James Brown

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    Dumb Dumb Dumb. Why screw with the springs without even riding it first? Also there is a preload adjustment inside of the fork. That would have probably been all you needed to do. Unless you are 250lbs and huck your ass off it probably would have been fine for you. I think you need to change your name to I like to **** with stuff. Sometimes a bike can be like ****ing with sore dick. The more you **** with it the worse it gets. Now just get outside and ride.

  42. #42
    LT1
    LT1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192

    Actually...

    ...he is a heavier rider near the range you indicated, so the spring change in this case was a good idea.

  43. #43
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    Big Meanie!! You as a moderator are supposed to give him e-hugs and pat him on the shoulder and tell him everything is gonna be alright
    heh, there's some truth behind my avatar....beware...

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,130
    So do you still have the broken parts? I find it interesting if Marzocchi does not even look at the failed part to determine the type of failure. If you still have the pieces could you take some close up photos of both ends at the shear point with a generous amount of light and we can get a metalurgist to give their opinion on the type/cause of failure.

    TJ



    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I work at a 7 chain bike store and no, there is not a marzocchi rep that comes around frequently, maybe once a year. The reason you go through a shop for warranty work is because that's how Marzocchi has it setup. They make us deal with your problem over the phone, probably so they don't have to hear the customer with the broken fork gripe. In my case, I'm the guy that calls up the reps so when I phoned Marzocchi, explained the situation, I was told that it wasn't a warranty issue. The threads cracked and snapped off, I'm not sure how this wasn't a warranty issue but I'm seriously considering on selling the fork when the new part arrives and never buying another Marzocchi fork again. Which sucks for me because they do make some good forks, but I refuse to support or sport a fork made by a company that won't warranty such a product weakness. My shop manager along with all the other mech's in "our" store couldn't believe that the part snapped off where it did, and as they all stared at me while I was on the phone with Marzocchi they just shook their head in disbelief when I got off the phone regarding it not getting warrantied. Were talking about a brand new fork, just out of the box.

    I guess the weight they saved with this fork was compromised with the durability of the parts...

    I just wish the dorado's were a bit cheaper, not sure what fork I'm going to run as I don't want to support a company with weak warranty issues!

  45. #45
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    So do you still have the broken parts? I find it interesting if Marzocchi does not even look at the failed part to determine the type of failure.
    probably because its not the first time they've seen this happen...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,130
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    probably because its not the first time they've seen this happen...
    I would still like to see pictures (not side profile)

    In best CSI voice - the evidence will tell the story....

    TJ

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    557
    OK... Let me see if I understand this.... You broke your fork while you were working on it and we should warranty it? Regardless if you had a tech on the phone, myself, or even Mr. Marzocchi himself, you were still turning the wrench. Remember, you are dealing with light weight aluminum parts here... Ham fisted wrenching techniques do not apply.

    As for the tool "special tool" you don't always need it. Example, on my own 888, one leg the jam nut came off easily, the other I needed the vise blocks. Note, a 10mm axle vise will work too...

    Without seeing what you did, I can't comment much further... Because all this will turn into is a big he said/she said type of thing...

    Brian

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,130
    Was waiting to see how long it would take for you to voice in on this one! Personally I do not see it as a warranty issue unless there was a definate manufacturing flaw in the shaft itself (ie it was overtorqued, causing fatigue cracks that then led to failure upon loosening) Having a close look at the failed parts would probably shed some light on to the situation.

    I am mainly interested in the fact that a large 7 chain bike shop only gets a Marzocchi rep visit once a year? As only a consumer in the bike industry I am a little bit surprised at this. I am also a touch surprised if Marzocchi does not look at failures to determine if warranty is needed or not. Even to look at the failures to learn about user abuse would seem worthwhile to me. Whenever I tear down my race engines I always look for strange wear characteristics, and investigate solutions to prevent failure due to regular use.

    A the same time I fully understand Marzocchi not wanting to discuss their warranty procedures on a public internet forum.

    Either way I am still going to put a new 888 on my new rig once manufacturing is completed.

    TJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson
    OK... Let me see if I understand this.... You broke your fork while you were working on it and we should warranty it? Regardless if you had a tech on the phone, myself, or even Mr. Marzocchi himself, you were still turning the wrench. Remember, you are dealing with light weight aluminum parts here... Ham fisted wrenching techniques do not apply.

    As for the tool "special tool" you don't always need it. Example, on my own 888, one leg the jam nut came off easily, the other I needed the vise blocks. Note, a 10mm axle vise will work too...

    Without seeing what you did, I can't comment much further... Because all this will turn into is a big he said/she said type of thing...

    Brian

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Was waiting to see how long it would take for you to voice in on this one! Personally I do not see it as a warranty issue unless there was a definate manufacturing flaw in the shaft itself (ie it was overtorqued, causing fatigue cracks that then led to failure upon loosening) Having a close look at the failed parts would probably shed some light on to the situation.

    I am mainly interested in the fact that a large 7 chain bike shop only gets a Marzocchi rep visit once a year? As only a consumer in the bike industry I am a little bit surprised at this. I am also a touch surprised if Marzocchi does not look at failures to determine if warranty is needed or not. Even to look at the failures to learn about user abuse would seem worthwhile to me. Whenever I tear down my race engines I always look for strange wear characteristics, and investigate solutions to prevent failure due to regular use.

    A the same time I fully understand Marzocchi not wanting to discuss their warranty procedures on a public internet forum.

    Either way I am still going to put a new 888 on my new rig once manufacturing is completed.

    TJ
    If there was to be a warranty, he would have to send the part in for inspection first. We do not do warranties sight unseen. But I am not in the warranty department.

    As for why there isn't a rep that visits the shop, we don't have outside reps. We used to have some, but there were some issues.

    Brian

  50. #50
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I am mainly interested in the fact that a large 7 chain bike shop only gets a Marzocchi rep visit once a year?
    well, isnt it upto the shop to make sure its properly educated to service products it sells? People think they should be spoon-fed every little thing without much effort on their own part, then blame others when their ignorance catches up to them...

    ...ok rant over heh

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson
    If there was to be a warranty, he would have to send the part in for inspection first. We do not do warranties sight unseen. But I am not in the warranty department.

    Brian
    Completely unacceptable Brian. If I say my fork broke apart into 700000000 pieces while riding down the sidewalk watching roller blading honey's I expect a brand new, no TWO brand new forks in the mail withing 30 minutes. One to go on the bike, and the other as a spare for when the obviously faulty first one fails again while looking at roller blading honey's...

    :-)

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12

    Same thing happend to my 888, but...

    The shaft on my 888 broke in the exact same spot. My scenario:

    Got the new 888, and new springs (had friends w/ 888s and knew that I needed heavier springs so didn't even bother mounting, which was a completely different mess). Friday night, and wanted to ride on the weekend so began to tear down the fork w/ only the legal manual provided in the box.

    Removed the top-cap from the fork tube. Used a 2 wrenchs to separate the top-cap from the red-lock nut... and was able to remove the top-cap. BUT, the red-lock nut was strip-threaded onto the shaft... .it wouldn't budge. Soooo (again, this is a Friday night), I used a couple nuts from a Hayes master to thread onto the exposed shaft - locking them together to so I could un-thread the red lock nut. Snap! Shaft broke at the threads.

    Suck? Yep. My fault? Yep.

    I should have waited to talk to a Marzocchi rep for instructions... or better yet, Marz. could have had a real service manual available.

    Talked to the Marz. rep, got a new damper cartridge, made my own soft-jaw for my vice, and the process was a snap.....

    The fork is now up and running... and absolutly the best fork I've ever ridden... (my opinion)

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Completely unacceptable Brian. If I say my fork broke apart into 700000000 pieces while riding down the sidewalk watching roller blading honey's I expect a brand new, no TWO brand new forks in the mail withing 30 minutes. One to go on the bike, and the other as a spare for when the obviously faulty first one fails again while looking at roller blading honey's...

    :-)
    Yeah, and if you stopped looking at butts in short shorts roller blading, you would have avoided the bus that ran over your bike and broke your fork. In fact, if you stopped following the honeys on the blades and rode in front of them, they would have stopped you to ask about that sexy fork on your bike. (Probably not, but since we are talking about fantasy situations here....)



    Brian

  54. #54
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Well the 888r arrived today. I took it out of the box, drooled over it for about 10 min. and then put it in the stand to change out the springs. I called up Marzocchi and talked to a guy who works on these forks all day to get the lowdown on how to change the springs properly. After he broke it on down to me I began disassembling it. There's a red nut that acts as a jam nut that sits right below the top piece that screws into the stanchion, well I was instructed to hold the lower shaft while unscrewing the top cap and sure enough the lower shaft piece snaps at the threads. WTF!!!??? I immediately called up Marz and explained the situation, you know what they said? "Did you buy the tool we make to hold the lower shaft?" "No" I said..."Well that is needed to remove the top cap, looks like you'll have to order a new compression internal shaft" Uh, wtf kind of sh!t is that? All I did was clamp the lower shaft with a pair of plyers and a cloth to protect the shaft, the thread snaps causing it to get stuck in the top cap and now "I" have to pay for the faulty metal threaded shaft? I talked it over with the other guys in my shop, brought it up with my manager, talked to about 2 other people from Marzocchi after being put on hold for 20 min. at a time and getting disconnected and what's the end result?

    Well my whole shop thinks it should be a warranty issue thanks to the faulty weak metal thread, but according to Marzocchi it was my fault because we didn't have their $15 tool that basically serves as a vice grip to hold the shaft...

    I know some of you are going to tell me that it was my fault for not using their special tool but this can be done without the tool, and if it's that friggin' delicate, why wasn't I warned? And if it needs a special tool, why don't they include it with every fork? I mean it's not like I'm buying a $200 fork here, these puppies are 6 times that!

    I'm posting this because I'm furious, but ranting on here doesn't really serve a purpose, the main reason I wanted to share this with ya'll is so you know what kind of service Marzocchi is dishing out, not only to a consumer, but to a 7 chain bike store who buys multiple items from them.

    So now I'm stuck with another $100 bill for this shaft, the tool, and shipping($10).
    Well... IMHO.... fork internals are quite often fragile. You said you were using pliers. Using pliers to work on a fork is a pretty obvious sign (to me at least) that you were not using the right tool for the job. Does your adjustable (crescent) wrench get a lot of use too?

    Cost of special tools: That is just part of working on your own stuff. This is a top of the line fork. If you do your own work on high end items, I think you need to consider the cost of specialty tools. Do you think Ferrari gives you a toolset when you buy one of their cars? Wait, did you say that you work at a bike shop? How come the shop doesn't have the right tools? Did you introduce yourself as a shop employee when you called? Maybe they (Marz techs) assumed that if you work in a bike shop then you obviously have access to all of the necessary tools, and they do not need to tell you every little detail about which tool to use, what not to do etc.

    It sucks, but I do not think you should expect Marz to pay for it. I have broken fork internals before working on them (either from improper tools or not understanding what I was doing) and it isn't a good feeling. They are fragile! But, that is just the risk you have to accept if you do your own work. IMHO you need to be responsible for your own actions here. Was it obvious that the piece would break, and need a special tool? No. But ultimately, when you pick up the wrench, it is your job to make sure it is the right one, and you know what you are doing.

    Now you know better and I bet you won't break it again.
    Last edited by frank n. beans; 05-07-2004 at 02:13 PM.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    OK, so it sounds like the 888 is different from the Z1 and Z150 'cause I see no way that you'll be able to clamp any part of the damper in a vise BEFORE you get the top cap off. The only reason I'm asking is to find out if the Z1 FR needs this special tool or not ('cause I didn't use it when I changed the oil in mine and the red jam nut didn't have to come off to get the springs out). If it needs it and it's only $15 I'll buy one--I just can't see where you'd use it at.

  56. #56
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    So do you still have the broken parts? I find it interesting if Marzocchi does not even look at the failed part to determine the type of failure. If you still have the pieces could you take some close up photos of both ends at the shear point with a generous amount of light and we can get a metalurgist to give their opinion on the type/cause of failure.

    TJ
    Yeah I'll do that, give me about an hour and I'll have the pictures for you.

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleA's
    ya that blows. I thought that kind of hard @ss luck only happend to me. Well, I guess you can chalk that up to it being "just one of those things".......sucks. Move on, get your manatau, and ride your bike. To bad about all the negative BS in the other posts. anyhow, I cant read my writing, is it 2323 or 2223? Dont need the whole Ad. just the #. good luck. - Kenny -
    2323 Kenny,


    Thanks for the sympathy, I'm going to post up some pics so everyone can see what it is that broke!

  58. #58
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    yup, thats the way i see it. And especially since just two weeks ago, he didnt know how to get the c-clips off the SuperT or other elementary mech practices, i would not consider him to be an experienced or knowledgable mechanic, hence not a qualified one. Sorry to be so blunt but the benefit of the doubt goes to Marz on this one, and it really irks me that blame is automatically shifted to the fork and Marz's stance on warranty in this situation, instead of perhaps accepting that maybe you ****ed up and broke it at no fault of the fork (hey, everyones made these types of mistakes, but most will accept responsibility). It is possible that there was a defect or the fork was assembled improperly at the factory, but also the dissambly produre did involve a special tool to avoid this (no doubt Marz themselves broke this part and realised they needed a tool after the fact), and this was also brought up in other forums, so the proper procedure is known to be crucial. Had you been a qualified Marz technician and participated in the bi-yearly seminars like most good LBSs do, then this story might of been different.

    And dont whine how others are taking sides on this, this is public forum and not everyones gonna give you sympathy just because your looking for it. Myself I see this as a cautionary tale about being a good wrench and being knowledgable and competant in the components you wrench on, not how Marz wont accept a warranty claim despite you making the public assertion that somehow it is; you are not qualified to make that assessment.
    Zedro your a funny guy...

    Lets just face it, you and I don't like each other from disagreements with other posts. I can't stand @ssholes(not calling you one) so when others in here like WCH, Pete, and a few others start flamming people or just assuming I call them out. I post honest opinions of things and how they go down, do a search on all my posts and you'll see that I'm a legit guy. I may get nasty with some, but that's just because they diserve it as their past time is to come on here and bash others.

    As far as mechanical skills go, I know how to use tools, I take my time with the parts, apply the right tools for the job, and if in doubt, I call up the tech's or do a post on here. I'm not a novice, I just haven't worked on every single fork there is out there, have you? Stop assuming who it is you think your talking with and give me a break. Just because your the moderator doesn't give you the right to act like Hittler. I'm putting together some pictures as we speak so everyone can see for themselves where it broke, it didn't break in a place that would break if any part was torqued wrong, it snapped in the middle of the threads.

    But I'm done explaining to you as you already made up your mind about me a month ago, so no matter what I say, your still going to argue the other half, guess that's why you make a good moderator

  59. #59
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    As far as mechanical skills go, I know how to use tools, I take my time with the parts, apply the right tools for the job, and if in doubt, I call up the tech's or do a post on here. I'm not a novice, I just haven't worked on every single fork there is out there, have you? Stop assuming who it is you think your talking with and give me a break. Just because your the moderator doesn't give you the right to act like Hittler. I'm putting together some pictures as we speak so everyone can see for themselves where it broke, it didn't break in a place that would break if any part was torqued wrong, it snapped in the middle of the threads.

    :
    Your cedability is pretty close to zero as you didn't even know how to rune a marz fork untill a few days ago. You know how to use all tools and service forks? Yeah right...that is a stretch in any sense...
    Last edited by Jm.; 05-07-2004 at 08:30 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  60. #60
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Just because your the moderator doesn't give you the right to act like Hittler.
    oh, i'm waaay worse than Hitler.( wtf...)

    btw, i'm a poster first (for 6 years at that) and moderator second. My only duty is to keep the rules enforced, not to be everyones buddy.

    and i dont hate you, but i do know your a newbie at these things. I have taken a good look at your previous posts, in fact i'm the one who answered a great deal of them, so i have a good idea of your level of technical expertise.

    This thread would push my buttons no matter who posted it. I'm not gonna change my opinions and views just because the word moderator is posted below my name; i would step down in a second if i had to water down my posts....hell its not like i get paid anyways. All i want for this site is for people to be well informed and make intelligent decisions when it comes to tech stuff. If i believe someone is doing a disservice to that, i'm gonna give my 3 cents worth about it.

  61. #61
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486

    Pictures and how it went down

    Ok,

    Here's the deal, you unscrew the top cap, the silver piece, from the stanchion's, push the fork up so that it exposes the internals, then I was told to hold the grayish/green colored shaft that comes up from the bottom of the fork with a vice grip and rubber/cloth in between the vices so I didn't scratch the shaft, then I was told to take a wrench and turn counter clockwise on the top cap. The red nut acts as a jam nut on the lower shaft once the top cap has been screwed in.

    What happened was the lower greenish/grey shaft snapped just above the red jam nut inside of the silver top cap that threads onto the lower greenish shaft. The lower shaft snapped off inside of the top cap as I slowly turned clockwise, it didn't even come unthreaded from the lower shaft, it just snapped. Now I don't know about your experiences with threads, but the they aren't supposed to just sheer off. It's as if someone put locktite on the threads or something. It did not snap as I was tightening, as that would be my fault for tightening the top cap too hard, it snapped when I was turning the top cap counter clockwise while bracing the lower shaft with a vice grip and cloth to protect the finish.

    Now Zedro and all the other haters, I would like for you to tell me how this was my fault? And be honest for once, think about how this happened, look at the pictures, and tell me how a snapped thread is my fault, seriously!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  62. #62
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    The green threads on the silver piece on the last picture is the top part of the lower shaft, it snapped where the red jam nut sits.

  63. #63
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Your cedability is pretty close to zero as you didn't even know how to rune a marzocchi fork untill a few days ago. You know how to use all tools and service forks? Yeah right...that is a stretch in any sense...
    So because I'm new to Tripple crowns makes me incompetent

    Please JM, I've been working on dirt bike parts for alot long than you'd think. Your telling me that if I change out a top end or adjust the valves on a new 4 stroke, or even overhaul my KTM's forks that I can't figure out a bicycle, lol pleeeeeeeeease. Do me a favor and STFU, your stupidity is the last thing I want to read.

  64. #64
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Damn...what an idiot.

    You already proved that you didn't know how to tune a marz, so I'd have to agree with you and say "yes, just because you've worked on MX bikes doesn't mean you have a clue as to what you are doing with a MTB fork"....you've proved it yourself.
    Read my new thread you stupid Fvck, then tell me if you think that I broke the fork. I hope to meet you on the trail, your in Washington right? See you around, PB!

  65. #65
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Damn...what an idiot.

    You already proved that you didn't know how to tune a marz, so I'd have to agree with you and say "yes, just because you've worked on MX bikes doesn't mean you have a clue as to what you are doing with a MTB fork"....you've proved it yourself.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  66. #66
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Read my new thread you stupid Fvck, then tell me if you think that I broke the fork. I hope to meet you on the trail, your in Washington right? See you around, PB!
    Yeah, im in washington. I ride a bullit.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    77
    Without getting into the whole warranty issue, if I need special tools to do something that could otherwise be done with a common one (with nothing to indicate otherwise), I would want a GD manual that would warn me of stuff like that. Come on, how many of us have the whole Park catalog sitting in our garage? Unless I know I need a special part, why would I ask for one?

    Half the fun of bikes is working on your own gear. If I had to take my bikes to a shop for service, I'd prolly be out of the sport sooner rather than later. There's no excuse not to have a decent manual for anything you buy that costs more than $25.

  68. #68
    V10 Freerider
    Reputation: Frankenschwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    752

    A fork

    is a complex device and if you would have had the tool designed for the purpose you may have a claim.

    I don't know you. I don't really care either way but if it were my decision to make I would not warranty the part. Sorry
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

  69. #69
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    FW: Anytime

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    lol...I come on here for information, you and your stupid friends come on here to flame. Go Fvck yourself, if you were closer I'd fvck you with my new fork, so hard that you'd see the fork coming in and out of your mouth.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jm.
    nice to see that you are letting this website run your life.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    go FVCK yourself you stupid prick, I hope to see you on the trail so I can confront your b!tch @ss. And when we meet, if your still talking trash hiding behind your monitor, I'm going to kick your FVCking teeth in, rip off your dick and let you choke on it.

    You a Punk B!tch, maybe hopefully day we will meet, until then


    __________________
    Triplin' with the Triple 8 on Triple sec...
    Here's some fun PM action to share with you guys

    Now, it may just be me, but I think I detect the smallest little hint of insecurity in there....
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  70. #70
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Here's some fun PM action to share with you guys
    I ain't got a problem with telling you that your a fvcking cock that I'd like to beat the sh!t out of in public. I just thought I'd spare the rest of these guys the negativity, just as you should spare me your stupid fvcked up comments.

    Actually I'll take this to that next level and call out WestCoast****er, Pete, COMTNBiker and anyone else who's a complete fvcking flammer. You guys have nothing better to do with your time than to discredit other peoples posts, for fun.

    I'd be glad to meet up with any of you fvcking c0ck suckers to disguse how you want me to correct your fvcked up attitudes. Bring it you sorry SOB's, it's time someone calls you out to the red carpet for hiding behind your fvcking monitors. You guys are truely pieces of sh!t and I'm more than happy to be the first to tell you!

  71. #71
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I post honest opinions of things and how they go down, do a search on all my posts and you'll see that I'm a legit guy.
    "legit" guys aren't cowards who change their handles after making complete fools of themselves.

    Try again newb.

  72. #72
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I ain't got a problem with telling you that your a fvcking cock that I'd like to beat the sh!t out of in public. I just thought I'd spare the rest of these guys the negativity, just as you should spare me your stupid fvcked up comments.

    Actually I'll take this to that next level and call out WestCoast****er, Pete, COMTNBiker and anyone else who's a complete fvcking flammer. You guys have nothing better to do with your time than to discredit other peoples posts, for fun.

    I'd be glad to meet up with any of you fvcking c0ck suckers to disguse how you want me to correct your fvcked up attitudes. Bring it you sorry SOB's, it's time someone calls you out to the red carpet for hiding behind your fvcking monitors. You guys are truely pieces of sh!t and I'm more than happy to be the first to tell you!
    ROTFLMAO!!!
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  73. #73
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Read my new thread you stupid Fvck, then tell me if you think that I broke the fork. I hope to meet you on the trail, your in Washington right? See you around, PB!
    ROTFLMAO!

    This sounds so familiar.

    What are you going to do, threaten to beat his ass, chump?

    Get_Outside_N_Ride<SCRIPT type=***************> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT> aka I_8_It_up aka Josh the Clueless

    "Go **** yourself! Your a typical looser with nothing else to do than to bother other peoples posts. Go do something productive you stupid little ****!"

    "Hey peterless ****!
    I wish you were local so I could just beat your ****ing ass. Then maybe I could knock some sense into your head you dumb ****ing prick. Take a hike"

    "My threat of violence is not brought on by insecurity. You get all fancy with you words and twist sh!t around to make yourself feel important.

    The only reason I'd like to stomp your head in is because your a typical prick who needs to be taught a lesson. My guess is your a lawyer or just some dumb punk thinking he's "God's gift" and that is why I wrote what I did.

    Your parents must of neglected you as a child and this is why you do what you do to make yourself feel good.

    I'm not going to bother with your stupid @ss anymore as it's just wasting my day.

    Later b!tchboy."

    Awesome stuff!<!-- / message -->

  74. #74
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    "legit" guys aren't cowards who change their handles after making complete fools of themselves.

    Try again newb.
    I never thought that you wouldn't show up for the bashing fun you piece of SH!T. I'm considering on making a trip to Cali just to find you and a few others to teach you a lesson for flamming posts. Your a sorry SOB that I'd like to meet in person, I'd kick the living SH!T out of you Pete until you couldn't move, then I'd take your fvcking teeth out with a switch blade and wear them on a neckles, sh!t, I'd post up the neckless as my new name along with it as my avitar. GO FVCK yourself, because if you don't, I'm sure Zedro, WestCoastFVker, or JM will, you sorry fagit @ss muthaFvcka's.

    It's time someone steps up to tell you sorry SonofaB!tche's that you'll get yours! Keep flaming away, it's a small world, sooner or later it's going to come back on you, and I'd like to be there to hear you whine

  75. #75
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Then will you come back to washington please to kick my ass on my red bullit?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    447

    Jam nut

    Well I just had the exact same experiance with my z-150. Setup looks similar. I also have an 888 but have never had to take it apart. I will say you are making a mistake to sell it before trying it. It is without a doubt an awesome fork.
    Anyway back to my story. The z-150 was ramping up within the first 3" of travel and I am 190. It just felt way stiffer then anything else I had ever ridden. So without really taking in out for a trail ride I decided to check the oil height, which was counter-intuitive because everyone knows Marzocchi almost always ship low on oil. Anyway, I undid the topcaps and compressed the fork to expose the springs. One look and it was obvious this is not like the old Marzocchi forks. I scoped out the setup to remove topcap so I could remove springs to check oil. Red nut is obviously a jam nut. I did not grab the shaft and try to unscrew the topcap as you said you did. The purpose of the jam nut is to lock the topcap onto the shaft. If you grab the shaft and then unscrew the top cap you are begging for the shaft to break. The correct method is to put a wrench on the red jamnut and a wrench on the topcap and loosen the jamnut SLIGHTLY to unlock the top cap from the shaft. This is what I did and it worked perfectly.
    All that said I don't know that the same procedure would work on the 888 but it looks like the same setup.
    Well with all that said. I checked the oil which was actually low instead of high. Proceeded to put the fork back together. I have a torque wrench but didn't know the spec's so I just decided to "wing it" and all it took was just nice and snug where it felt good and I thought what the heak, just a tiny bit tighter so it doesn't come unscrewed and SNAPPPPP!!!. It was amazingly easy. Was I pissed? You bet, but only at what an idiot I was. I knew better as I did it. It was barely past had tight. But the reality is thats all it took.
    Now I know yours happened while you where taking it apart, but I'm pretty sure had I grabbed the shaft instead of the red nut I would have broke it taking it apart.
    I am not a Marzocchi tech, but I have 2 son's who race downhill in addition to myself. They have been riding since they were only 80lbs. They are now a little over 100lbs. We change bikes ever year. I always have to tune there forks myself since most shops and even manufacturers have no clue how to properly setup a fork for that light of a rider. I have worked on 01-04 Super T's. The Foes F--1 wet one and F-1 XL. Manitou Sherman slider, and the Slider +, Manitou X-vert carbon DH, and the Stratos Superstar 8". Never had a problem. But you know what? This time I ***ked up.
    So I did the smart thing. I called up Go-Ride where I bought it. Talked to V-Dub. Told him what a ham fisted idiot I am. Said I was shipping it back. Fix it. Charge what ever it cost to my credit card. And get it back to me ASAP. Less then a week later I had my fork back. It was a lesson that cost me $141.
    Will I work on it again? Sure, but next time I will go to great extent to learn about fork before I proceed. And I will then proceed with great caution. As other posters have said. They are trying to put a lot of performance into a light package. Somethings gotten give. You gotten know what you doing. You can't rely on a tech who's taking to you on the phone. If you could teach intricate procedures that way, then we wouldn't need schools. There's no substitution for an experiance professional staring over your shoulder, stopping you from screwing up because he's sees he forgot to explain a minor detail or you just weren't listening.. Having a tech on the phone is only slightly better then ad libbing it on your on.
    You need to suck it. Lesson learned. Get that fork fixed and ride it, cause I'm telling you it's awesome. I can't explain it exactly, but it ain't no Super T. No disrespect the the Super T, another awesome fork. Just not as nice as the 888.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'm sure you'll come up with 50 reasons why I'm wrong, but that seems to be part of your personality.

  77. #77
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    "legit" guys aren't cowards who change their handles after making complete fools of themselves.

    Try again newb.
    LMAO!!!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  78. #78
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I You guys have nothing better to do with your time than to discredit other peoples posts, for fun.
    Wrong again. While you're amusing in a"puppy dog eating its own feces" kind of way, I have much better things to do.

    Like go on long road trips and ride my bikes while you hang out here making yourself look even more idiotic (and that's well nigh impossible at this point).

    Congrats!

  79. #79
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Feel free to post up your picture, I'd be glad to locate you at the next race DO you like electricity, I've got a nice tazer I'd be happy to pump you with.!
    ok...

    Do you think that tazer is going to stack up against my P97? or will I have to get some more guns?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  80. #80
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    ROTFLMAO!

    This sounds so familiar.

    What are you going to do, threaten to beat his ass, chump?

    Get_Outside_N_Ride<SCRIPT type=***************> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT> aka I_8_It_up aka Josh the Clueless

    "Go **** yourself! Your a typical looser with nothing else to do than to bother other peoples posts. Go do something productive you stupid little ****!"

    "Hey peterless ****!
    I wish you were local so I could just beat your ****ing ass. Then maybe I could knock some sense into your head you dumb ****ing prick. Take a hike"

    "My threat of violence is not brought on by insecurity. You get all fancy with you words and twist sh!t around to make yourself feel important.

    The only reason I'd like to stomp your head in is because your a typical prick who needs to be taught a lesson. My guess is your a lawyer or just some dumb punk thinking he's "God's gift" and that is why I wrote what I did.

    Your parents must of neglected you as a child and this is why you do what you do to make yourself feel good.

    I'm not going to bother with your stupid @ss anymore as it's just wasting my day.

    Later b!tchboy."

    Awesome stuff!<!-- / message -->
    Hey Peterless,

    Your the fvcking punk who flames everyones posts, I'd be glad to set a time and place so I can cut your fvcking toes off and feed em to you, seriously! Anytime you piece of sh!t, anytime!

  81. #81
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    ok...
    Wow your gay too?>?? All the more reason to beat your @ss!

  82. #82
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I never thought that you wouldn't show up for the bashing fun you piece of SH!T. I'm considering on making a trip to Cali just to find you and a few others to teach you a lesson for flamming posts. Your a sorry SOB that I'd like to meet in person, I'd kick the living SH!T out of you Pete until you couldn't move, then I'd take your fvcking teeth out with a switch blade and wear them on a neckles, sh!t, I'd post up the neckless as my new name along with it as my avitar. GO FVCK yourself, because if you don't, I'm sure Zedro, WestCoastFVker, or JM will, you sorry fagit @ss muthaFvcka's.

    It's time someone steps up to tell you sorry SonofaB!tche's that you'll get yours! Keep flaming away, it's a small world, sooner or later it's going to come back on you, and I'd like to be there to hear you whine
    No need to trouble yourself with finding me, child.

    Pete Fagerlin
    5187 Keller Ridge Drive
    Clayton, CA 94517

    Stop by anytime.

    p.s. When did you first realize that you were a complete tool? Was it before, or after, you started imagining that you were some kind of competent mechanic?

  83. #83
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Wrong again. While you're amusing in a"puppy dog eating its own feces" kind of way, I have much better things to do.

    Like go on long road trips and ride my bikes while you hang out here making yourself look even more idiotic (and that's well nigh impossible at this point).

    Congrats!
    I figured as much, all talk to action, your just a flammer, on here and in life!

  84. #84
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Jeez dude, you sure have some aggression you need to work out.

    I have a mental picture of you working on your fork, vice grips in one hand, hammer in the other, steam blowing out of your ears, and a big throbbing red vein on your forehead about to pop.

    Chill out dude it is just a message board. Go spin those pedals for a while, might make you feel better.
    My anger towards these guys stems from their @sshole attitudes on this board. They think they know everything and everyone. I'm just telling them straight up what I'd tell them in life, after a swift beat down!

  85. #85
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Yeah, im in washington. I ride a bullit.
    Feel free to post up your picture, I'd be glad to locate you at the next race DO you like electricity, I've got a nice tazer I'd be happy to pump you with.!

  86. #86
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Your the fvcking punk who flames everyones posts,
    I do not flame everyone's posts.

    Stop lying.

    Thanks.

    p.s. Your incredibly poor grammar and spelling just makes you look like an even bigger idiot, as if that's even possible at this point.

  87. #87
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Wow your gay too?>?? All the more reason to beat your @ss!

    You must be a republican....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  88. #88
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    I ain't got a problem with telling you that your a fvcking cock that I'd like to beat the sh!t out of in public. I just thought I'd spare the rest of these guys the negativity, just as you should spare me your stupid fvcked up comments.

    Actually I'll take this to that next level and call out WestCoast****er, Pete, COMTNBiker and anyone else who's a complete fvcking flammer. You guys have nothing better to do with your time than to discredit other peoples posts, for fun.

    I'd be glad to meet up with any of you fvcking c0ck suckers to disguse how you want me to correct your fvcked up attitudes. Bring it you sorry SOB's, it's time someone calls you out to the red carpet for hiding behind your fvcking monitors. You guys are truely pieces of sh!t and I'm more than happy to be the first to tell you!
    Jeez dude, you sure have some aggression you need to work out.

    I have a mental picture of you working on your fork, vice grips in one hand, hammer in the other, steam blowing out of your ears, and a big throbbing red vein on your forehead about to pop.

    Chill out dude it is just a message board. Go spin those pedals for a while, might make you feel better.

  89. #89
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    "legit" guys aren't cowards who change their handles after making complete fools of themselves.

    Try again newb.
    actually his old handles were banned. Seeing as his current composure emulates the reason he previously got banned (as posted in the top secret moderators forum), i think he's in need of a fresh start again. Its one thing having negative opnions and posts, but theres a fine line which he's crossed by a mile at this point.

    With the garbage comming out from his mouth at this point, no wonder i assumed he was a maligned teenager at first. Guess he didnt learn from the previous bannings...

  90. #90
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    My anger towards these guys stems from their @sshole attitudes on this board. They think they know everything and everyone. I'm just telling them straight up what I'd tell them in life, after a swift beat down!
    Do you think that is a legitimate way to deal with people that you disagree with? Beat 'em up? Did you spend too much time watching WWF as a kid or what?

  91. #91
    banned
    Reputation: I_8_It_up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I do not flame everyone's posts.

    Stop lying.

    Thanks.

    p.s. Your incredibly poor grammar and spelling just makes you look like an even bigger idiot, as if that's even possible at this point.
    Thanks for the address, hopefully its the right one! But knowing your cowardly tactics, it's probably your best friends.

Similar Threads

  1. Just put a Maverick fork on my Bullit
    By mtbbiker in forum Maverick
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
  3. Cannondale Lefty Max+ compared to TALAS :my $.02
    By dawgcatching in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:39 PM
  4. rigid fork question: Alu, steel, carbon...
    By jh_on_the_cape in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
  5. Replace Manatou Black fork with?
    By Thumbie in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 10:30 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.