New Downhill Bike Prep- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New Downhill Bike Prep

Getting a downhill bike this spring to use here in CO. I come from an XC background so I can do the proper bike prep. I am looking for downhill specific items. I would like to prep the bike so its mostly maintenance and flat free. Any tips or tricks. Looks like most riders ditch the pack and strap tools or tubes to the frame, anything else I should know or need to do.

Thanks

Up In Smoke
    I ditch all that stuff, no tools, no tubes nothing I don't need. Its not enduro. Sure, if a mechanical happens you might have to use some survival instincts, but that builds character. Are you planning on racing? Or just doing some shuttle runs?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by robertacks View Post
    Getting a downhill bike this spring to use here in CO. I come from an XC background so I can do the proper bike prep. I am looking for downhill specific items. I would like to prep the bike so its mostly maintenance and flat free. Any tips or tricks. Looks like most riders ditch the pack and strap tools or tubes to the frame, anything else I should know or need to do.

Thanks
    Great you are getting into the DH game. It's a blast.

I have a great love for everything from pure XC race to full bore DH, but my favorite is AM style. Something you'll find, after some long days on the DH rig, is how much faster and confident you'll be going down on the xc bike. Descents that use to seem really fast will begin to feel slow as your reflexes adapt to the faster speeds of DH.

Back to your question...

A lot will depend on where you DH. I'm going to assume its lift assist. You are right in asking what you did. Pure xc vs DH riding are very different animals. I'll leave "protectives, pads, helmets, shoes, etc..." out of this.

If you make full use of your DH rig, and ride true, rugged DH trails, it will not be a "maintenance free" affair. However, these days many DH places have plenty of buffed out, easy trails that don't require a full on DH bike but are still fun to ride, and beat up the bike far less. Keep that in mind when you get advice. I'm coming from an old school, unnatural, sketchy, rugged, slick local hill. My set up is geared to ride there, and that's where my advice will come from.

Don't be too concerned about weight (again, assuming you are riding real DH trails which are typically steep, rugged affairs). Run burly rims. Tires should be full on DH casing tires. My favorites where 2.5 Minions but I've moved to the Assegai which has more grip. Go tubeless, run extra sealant, and I suggest a tire insert at least in the rear tire. I run Flat Tire Defenders, usually front and back, but could likely get away with rear only. Brass nips on my wheels as they require truing often. Alloy nips get softer with time IMO and die early deaths.

I carry a multitool in my pocket when riding DH. That's it. No Camel. You'll use the tool as things may loosen more often than on xc rides. Headsets settle, calipers may loosen - probably not if properly torqued in the garage, but stuff happens. Levers get twisted and bent on spills. No tubes. If tires are set up right I find flats quite rare. If you do get a flat rolling back down the hill to the parking area for repair is no big deal.

If you have the choice go with coil shocks over air. Not only do they perform better, IMO, but they've been far more durable for me. Forks live a lot longer and need fewer full services if you drop the lowers frequently and change out the lower oil bath.

There are likely other things to cover but off the top of my head...

May The Force Be With You
    one or two gallons cheap spring water at the top and bottom of the chairlift with your name on them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the information, now that the snow has cleared I will get a change to ride.

mtbr member
    Make sure you "bed in" the brakes on some flatter trails first if you have a new bike or brake pads.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    the week before leading into the last night...overdose on pizza, beer and hookers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Kick Start My Heart
    Label me old skool or retrogrouch, but I'd shy away from carbon components, and stick to aluminum. Yes, carbon is strong, but it doesn't react as well to impact.
    All that Eagle GX and whatever 11 and 22 speed - no. None of that finicky stuff. Tried and true 1x 10. Heck, some of the pros are back to 1x7!
    Big rotors at minimum, and metal pads.
    Know your suspension, tune your suspension, love your suspension. Once you and your suspension become one, your riding will head to an all new level.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davez26; 06-21-2019 at 08:18 AM.