New Downhill Bike- Mtbr.com
    odo
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... New Downhill Bike

A few days ago I made a thread about downhilling at Whistler on a hardtail. I was able, however, to find a very good deal on Ebay.

1st Picture. Azonic Steelhead (this was an earlier picture of it, before it got a front brake)
    2nd Picture. Raleigh Ram

Tell me what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, Tweak

I bicycle better than I walk

Meh.
    Did you paint the back of your e13 the same as your garage? You know... that's not really good for the plastic.

You should also ditch the QRs.

odo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Did you paint the back of your e13 the same as your garage?
    No, that was the only paint I had

Pivotal figure
    I like the Steelhead. I have the older version before they added the cool hydroform look. What's your's weighing in at? I'm at almost 38lbs with DeeTrax wheels and an 04 DJ2 fork.

Meh.
    Paint is no good for the plastic.

odo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I like the Steelhead. I have the older version before they added the cool hydroform look. What's your's weighing in at? I'm at almost 38lbs with DeeTrax wheels and an 04 DJ2 fork.
    I'm not sure how much my steelhead weighed

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Nice collection, I bet that steelhead is a blast to ride!

odo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    Nice collection, I bet that steelhead is a blast to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Paint is no good for the plastic.
    Could you please explain what you mean by this? I thought it looked kinda cool.

Glad to Be Alive
    . Raleigh Ram

raleigh looks nice and strong but never heard any reviews on them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

odo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    . Raleigh Ram

raleigh looks nice and strong but never heard any reviews on them
    Here are some

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    Could you please explain what you mean by this? I thought it looked kinda cool.
    It's machined from a polycarbonate thermoplastic. Polycarbonates are badass...very strong, good workability, durable, etc. However, there are certain chemicals that thermoplastics don't like (ie they brake down the stucture, scientifically and so forth). Do you know what sorts of chemicals are in a can of spray paint? Hell no, no one does. But there is bound to be a compound in there that will potentially ruin the integrity of your shiny new bashring.

I don't think e.13 recommends it either, along with some cleaning products...
    Trestle Bike Park

the moon master
    acetone is a typical spraypaint base. it will F up the finish on polycarbonate (and most plastics besides teflon), but i would hesitate to say that it would comprimise the structural integrity of a 10 mm thick bashguard, unless you were really trying. still, i would avoid spraypainting a plastic bash...non-acetone based paints will probably be ok. always test it out first. toluene (a typical spraypaint base) could be bad too...not sure though. i'll try it out at work tomorrow regardless, good lookin bikes...DH on a hardtail must be insane

thats not to steep is it?
    are those the same parts just different frames?
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    Nice rigs, only concern would be the lower shock mount on the RAM, looks a tad under-built for a freeride rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    It's machined from a polycarbonate thermoplastic. Polycarbonates are badass...very strong, good workability, durable, etc. However, there are certain chemicals that thermoplastics don't like (ie they brake down the stucture, scientifically and so forth). Do you know what sorts of chemicals are in a can of spray paint? Hell no, no one does. But there is bound to be a compound in there that will potentially ruin the integrity of your shiny new bashring.

I don't think e.13 recommends it either, along with some cleaning products...

I used to be into the RC car scene not long ago, and the bodies which fit the cars are made out of a polycarbonate plastic. (lexan) Obviously the bodies get painted up in just about every manner you can think of, and although its very thin plastic, it maintains its structural rigidity after many coats of paint.

If you want to paint the back of your clear plastic bash guard I would recommend just getting some paint from a local hobby shop. Tamiya makes a great spray paint that comes in a ton of different colors. Just make sure you clean the bashgaurd with soap before or it wont ever stick. Not that I'm really sure it wont just scratch off on the first ride anyways.

odo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdownhillkid
    are those the same parts just different frames?
    Yeah, so my steelhead currently has no parts on it. I am thinking about getting a Fox 36 for the steelhead sometime.

the moon master
    chemicals in paint to avoid with polycarb bashguards: acetone, toluene, methyl ethyl ketone.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I like your Steelhead, man. Reminds me of my bike.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Meh.
    You're not even supposed to use certain types of lubes and cleaners with your poly bash because it can affect the integrity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by d_m_b
    chemicals in paint to avoid with polycarb bashguards: acetone, toluene, methyl ethyl ketone.

Sounds like whats in a bag of Doritos.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    I used to be into the RC car scene not long ago, and the bodies which fit the cars are made out of a polycarbonate plastic. (lexan) Obviously the bodies get painted up in just about every manner you can think of, and although its very thin plastic, it maintains its structural rigidity after many coats of paint.

If you want to paint the back of your clear plastic bash guard I would recommend just getting some paint from a local hobby shop. Tamiya makes a great spray paint that comes in a ton of different colors. Just make sure you clean the bashgaurd with soap before or it wont ever stick. Not that I'm really sure it wont just scratch off on the first ride anyways.
    I worked as a CNC machinist for a long time making architectural signage, and we used polycarbonate all the time (Makrolon mostly). We painted it using Matthew's MAP paints, but we have to put down a coat of a primer called Ti-bond first, or else the paint job is f'ed. There is a whole set of rules about how you can paint polycarbonate (depending on the type....e.13 supposedly has their own custom mix). All I know is that some painting methods are better than others...and I still don't think e.13 recommends it
    Trestle Bike Park

odo
    mtbr member
    Maybe we should get back to topic. I was wondering what people think about a 888VF on the Raleigh Ram?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odo
    Maybe we should get back to topic. I was wondering what people think about a 888VF on the Raleigh Ram?
    If the Sherman that's on the Ram right now has TPC damping (Looks like a Sherman Flick), going to the SSVF damped 888vf will be a big step backwards. May even be inferior to a well set up (devolved) SPV damping system too. The VF has absolutely ZERO adjustably besides what you can do with adjusting oil weight/level, and spikes like crazy at high speed. The RC is a much better option, and for an additional $150 the HSCV damping is more than worth it.

If you go the route of a pre-2006 888, flat crowns are something to be considered, as the stock crowns are unnecessarily tall.

Members who have read this thread: 0