new dh race sled- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    new dh race sled

    A little advice needed on my next purchase. Which Race sled should i purchase for next season? here is a bit of pertinent info: I weigh 200-210 pounds, 6'0 tall and i ride very hard. I rely more on brute streangth then flow. I'm not really worried about weight but more having a bike that can handle a beating and maintain some level of reliability week after week. your help is greatly appreciated. price range 3000-4000$
    thx
    g

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatchrisob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    38
    I guess I'm biased since I have one on the way, but the new Demo 8 I falls right in your price range and the Large will give you plenty of room. The frame and rear end is so still, your XL sized frame won't phase it. If you'd consider used, I'd look into the Cannondale Judge's. They are incredibly strong, but a bit heavy.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nightofthefleming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    607
    3000-4000 complete or frame only ?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

  4. #4
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    theres like 3 different demos with different prives, i bet u can get the demo 8 II with that kinda money, the Demo 8 I costs about $5000

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatchrisob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    38
    the demo 8 one is the less expensive model and it runs $3600 this year I think. Frame is like $2500 and the 2 is like $6K.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bxxer rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,411
    orange 224 evo 2010, with the new singing arm arch not lighter and stronger then ever. sp so really low maintenance, very plush, and just amazingly light.

    if looking complete 224 evo race should be in your price range.


    (plus, ignore the hype, demo's ride so rubbish is unbelievable. just people are too afraid to admit it)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    orange 224 evo 2010, with the new singing arm arch not lighter and stronger then ever. sp so really low maintenance, very plush, and just amazingly light.

    if looking complete 224 evo race should be in your price range.


    (plus, ignore the hype, demo's ride so rubbish is unbelievable. just people are too afraid to admit it)

    I dunno man, there's hype with just about every bike out there, even your Orange. Oranges are cool because it's a simple design... not much really has changed over the years on them because they work. Demo's are cool because they're a changing and evolving design. The 2010 had improved geometry. The 2011 has the 83/150 combo that everyone is hot for, a longer shock to improve small bump and lower leverage ratios, and adjustable geo. Just because you rode a friends bike once or twice and didn't like it is not really a reason to bash something. There's a very probable possibility that you didn't have it set up properly. And before you pass judgement on the 2011 you should probably wait till you have the opportunity to actually see one in person let alone ride one. Till then your opinions are what you would say "rubbish."

    There are a lot of good bikes out there for a big guy who rides with a plow style versus finesse. The Demo is an excellent bike for that type of person, I can honestly say that because that's how I ride and I am a pretty big guy. It's durable, low maintenence, and gets the job done. There's a ton of other bikes out there that would fit the bill, the demo is just an option.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    orange 224 evo 2010, with the new singing arm arch not lighter and stronger then ever. sp so really low maintenance, very plush, and just amazingly light.

    if looking complete 224 evo race should be in your price range.


    (plus, ignore the hype, demo's ride so rubbish is unbelievable. just people are too afraid to admit it)
    Are you kidding me? Have you even ridden anything besides your Orange? You are the most ridiculous fanboi on this site.

    For you, I recommend www.pinkbike.com

    Does that Evo come in 178mm?

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Why do I have such a hard-on for the SC V10.4 carbon?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Why do I have such a hard-on for the SC V10.4 carbon?

    Ummm cuz it's superbadass
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bxxer rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    I dunno man, there's hype with just about every bike out there, even your Orange. Oranges are cool because it's a simple design... not much really has changed over the years on them because they work. Demo's are cool because they're a changing and evolving design. The 2010 had improved geometry. The 2011 has the 83/150 combo that everyone is hot for, a longer shock to improve small bump and lower leverage ratios, and adjustable geo. Just because you rode a friends bike once or twice and didn't like it is not really a reason to bash something. There's a very probable possibility that you didn't have it set up properly. And before you pass judgement on the 2011 you should probably wait till you have the opportunity to actually see one in person let alone ride one. Till then your opinions are what you would say "rubbish."

    There are a lot of good bikes out there for a big guy who rides with a plow style versus finesse. The Demo is an excellent bike for that type of person, I can honestly say that because that's how I ride and I am a pretty big guy. It's durable, low maintenence, and gets the job done. There's a ton of other bikes out there that would fit the bill, the demo is just an option.
    i have actually ridden multiple 2010 demos, set up differently, one or two for just soft, cruising, other for hard riding and racing, neither felt any good. far too much of a platform on the shock (all rc4's as of yet) and the progressive ratio making the bike horrible when even a hit of rough stuff and the bike just skipping and hardly tracking the ground making it harder to ride fast (since lack of straight line rockgardens, with a need to make turns half way) so if you do try to stay ontop of the ruts you cant pop the bike about because soon as you compress to get the rebound to pop the rear wheel just gets caught up on every single rock. (due to forward wheelpath)
    imo the 2011 demo wont be any better since its the same flawed link. just with a much longer i2i for a less progressive ratio (due to shock extender)

    and before you get the idea ive only really tried my orange i have tried a hell of alot of bikes, and the ONLY other bike ive found i like, and could actually own (excluding orange bikes), is a very soft set up sunday.


    oh and dowst, very funny, keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: norbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    orange 224 evo 2010, with the new singing arm arch not lighter and stronger then ever. sp so really low maintenance, very plush, and just amazingly light.

    if looking complete 224 evo race should be in your price range.


    (plus, ignore the hype, demo's ride so rubbish is unbelievable. just people are too afraid to admit it)


    I like the evo but plush suspension? It has a degressive curve! Im suprised you recomend it on the only thing that is wrong with the frame.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Race sled

    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bxxer rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    I like the evo but plush suspension? It has a degressive curve! Im suprised you recomend it on the only thing that is wrong with the frame.
    i don't recommend to make a bike with a digressive curve, im just stating that it leave the bike incredibly plush meaning it tracks the ground incredibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

  15. #15
    dontcha?
    Reputation: captain spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?
    Why not look into a Yeti 303R-DH I see Go-ride has '10 completes for $3700
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

  16. #16
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Are you kidding me? Have you even ridden anything besides your Orange? You are the most ridiculous fanboi on this site.
    cant be more rediculous than that kid that is always pushing chuma.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?

    You'll fold a session in half before the demo dies. Sessions tubing is paper thin.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    i have actually ridden multiple 2010 demos, set up differently, one or two for just soft, cruising, other for hard riding and racing, neither felt any good. far too much of a platform on the shock (all rc4's as of yet) and the progressive ratio making the bike horrible when even a hit of rough stuff and the bike just skipping and hardly tracking the ground making it harder to ride fast (since lack of straight line rockgardens, with a need to make turns half way) so if you do try to stay ontop of the ruts you cant pop the bike about because soon as you compress to get the rebound to pop the rear wheel just gets caught up on every single rock. (due to forward wheelpath)
    imo the 2011 demo wont be any better since its the same flawed link. just with a much longer i2i for a less progressive ratio (due to shock extender)

    and before you get the idea ive only really tried my orange i have tried a hell of alot of bikes, and the ONLY other bike ive found i like, and could actually own (excluding orange bikes), is a very soft set up sunday.


    oh and dowst, very funny, keep up the good work
    It's just a bit funny and odd that you're the only kid who has such harsh opinions of every bike in existence except Orange. Your bashing of the demo contradicts what just about every person who has reviewed the bike says about it. They're paid professionals who've been riding and testing for years but you obiously know a world more than them. Maybe you should get a job for dirt doing bike tests when you graduate high school and you can compare everything you ride to your Orange which isn't even really that good of a single pivot design (and I have owned and enjoyed quite a few single pivots).

    And the Demo has a vertical to rearward axle path buddy, not a forward. Its actually quite good at square edge hits and rock gardens. Maybe you weigh 50 pounds and the shock had too heavy of a spring or too much compression. I'm 210 and run fairly low compression and a proper spring rate and the bike feels like butter through just about everything.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    that Yeti is a hot deal but i dont know anything about there rides? and with the way i ride i need parts close by, not many yeti dealers in VT. tell me about it.

    the orange wont stand a chance. thats laughable

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    267
    What part of VT are you in? I think there is a yeti dealer in stowe.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: divisadero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?
    I'm the same size as you but maybe 10-15 lbs lighter. I own the 2010 Demo 8 I and also ride like a hack. So far, I'd say it's pretty durable, and, to the extent it isn't, Specialized is reputedly great about honoring their warranty. I'd say the weakest component is the DT Swiss wheels. After maybe 20-25 days, including a few races and multiple crashes, my rear wheel is more than a little wobbly and dented. I also had to replace the handlebars (bent) and pedals (cracked pedal and bent axle), but that was more happenstance. All in all, it's an extremely solid bike. I don't think there is a better retail value for a ready-to-race DH bike (maybe the Glory 1?).

    The 2011 looks great. It's two pounds lighter than mine, has a 150mm rear, and, IMO, looks cooler.

    Last thing, I'd recommend getting a medium. I'm 6'0/6'1 and it fits me perfectly.

  22. #22
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Is the Canfield Jedi supposed to take square-edged hits really well? Sounds like it'd be a good plow bike to me but that's entirely speculation seeing as I've never ridden one.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Is the Canfield Jedi supposed to take square-edged hits really well? Sounds like it'd be a good plow bike to me but that's entirely speculation seeing as I've never ridden one.
    Those Jedi's are hawt
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  24. #24
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Is the Canfield Jedi supposed to take square-edged hits really well? Sounds like it'd be a good plow bike to me but that's entirely speculation seeing as I've never ridden one.
    The wheel path is very rearward which makes it take square hit better than anything mentioned here. Although the chainstay length being so short makes it quick in the turns, you don't usually see those two attributes together in one bike. You can see in the graph that the path of a Demo is anything but rearward, the Yeti has a bit more but the chain extension is going to give it quite a bit of pedal kick. For reference, I start to feel pedal kick at about 20mm extension and at 30 it become unacceptable (to me), nothing better than feeling isolated from the bumps. (all three bikes shown have a 38 front and a 15 tooth rear.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new dh race sled-specialized-demo-8-ii-2009_axlepath.jpg  

    new dh race sled-specialized-demo-8-ii-2009_chain.jpg  


  25. #25
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    that Yeti is a hot deal but i dont know anything about there rides? and with the way i ride i need parts close by, not many yeti dealers in VT. tell me about it.

    the orange wont stand a chance. thats laughable
    Vin (shop manager) over at True Wheels at Killington has a Jedi. I'm sure he'd let you take it for a rip.

  26. #26
    7MGTE
    Reputation: supramk388's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Those Jedi's are hawt
    For sure

    You can say that again

  27. #27
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    I dunno man, there's hype with just about every bike out there, even your Orange. Oranges are cool because it's a simple design... not much really has changed over the years on them because they work. Demo's are cool because they're a changing and evolving design. The 2010 had improved geometry. The 2011 has the 83/150 combo that everyone is hot for, a longer shock to improve small bump and lower leverage ratios, and adjustable geo. Just because you rode a friends bike once or twice and didn't like it is not really a reason to bash something. There's a very probable possibility that you didn't have it set up properly. And before you pass judgement on the 2011 you should probably wait till you have the opportunity to actually see one in person let alone ride one. Till then your opinions are what you would say "rubbish."

    There are a lot of good bikes out there for a big guy who rides with a plow style versus finesse. The Demo is an excellent bike for that type of person, I can honestly say that because that's how I ride and I am a pretty big guy. It's durable, low maintenence, and gets the job done. There's a ton of other bikes out there that would fit the bill, the demo is just an option.
    furthermore the FSR suspension of the Demo...is 100 times better then the single pivot orange IMO
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  28. #28
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    i have actually ridden multiple 2010 demos, set up differently, one or two for just soft, cruising, other for hard riding and racing, neither felt any good. far too much of a platform on the shock (all rc4's as of yet) and the progressive ratio making the bike horrible when even a hit of rough stuff and the bike just skipping and hardly tracking the ground making it harder to ride fast (since lack of straight line rockgardens, with a need to make turns half way) so if you do try to stay ontop of the ruts you cant pop the bike about because soon as you compress to get the rebound to pop the rear wheel just gets caught up on every single rock. (due to forward wheelpath)
    i

    Can you honestly state this and actually know what you are talking about.....sometimes it takes weeks for mere mortals to get a shock dialed....this screams "ADJUST MY SHOCK NOW"

    this is just plain rubbish...never will a single pivot be as smooth as an FSR suspension unless the suspension was tuned wrong.,...take that to the bank
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  29. #29
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?
    the bike will handle everything you throw at it...strong sturdy bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by graserg
    Thanks for the advice folks. I do really like the Demo 8 I and the price but im worried about turning that thing into a twisted pile of scrap by the middle of the seasion. Im going for a compleat bike by the way. what do you think of the session?
    Are you kidding right now? Sessions incur more damage on the shuttle truck then they do on the race course. Demos are a solid bike. Sessions are made out of aluminum cans. Not saying the Session is a bad bike, but it is a race bike and it's not built for everyday beating on.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: norbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    i don't recommend to make a bike with a digressive curve, im just stating that it leave the bike incredibly plush meaning it tracks the ground incredibly.

    Wait what? Say that in english please. 224 evo is already made and sold, it is degressive. Also it doesnt make a plush ride because if you dont want a bike that doesnt bottom out very often you have use a spring that is too hard. Also degressive susp doesnt mean plush it means diving suspension.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatchrisob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    38
    I'm pretty sure everyone NOT from GB will agree that Oranges are weak piles of rubbish

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    467
    Does the Canefield have problems with chain slackening? Like going to spin the cranks and getting 3/4 of a revolution before you get any grab? I'm assuming this is what the idler prevents. I've never got to ride one, just looking for clarification

  34. #34
    Go for the throat
    Reputation: JD Risk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspecialized
    Does the Canefield have problems with chain slackening? Like going to spin the cranks and getting 3/4 of a revolution before you get any grab? I'm assuming this is what the idler prevents. I've never got to ride one, just looking for clarification
    Not at all. It pedals really well for a dh bike. It has the least amount of pedal feedback out of the multi link bikes I have tried. I run a 34T ring because I occasionally have to climb and there is almost zero pedal feedback. Make sure your sag is right and you set up your chain guide and idler pulley correctly and you'll have no problems. The combination of running a fairly long chain, an idler pulley, and a wide angle chain guide can result in considerable drag if something is out of whack.

    Canfield Bros make really solid bikes. They can take a hell of a beating and you get what you pay for.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianjenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,183
    The 2010 Jedi we are testing currently has between 20K-30K of total vertical riding on it. The testers seem to really like the way it handles steep technical rocky terrain. I think it felt very good as well. It does pedal very well BTW we are using an Elka Stage 5 on the frame.


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.