New DH crank- Mtbr.com

Thread: New DH crank

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New DH crank

What do i need to know before buying a new crank?
    i have a giant glory dh 2007. i don't really know what i have to check before buying the crank (bottom brascket size?)
    shimano saint M815\race face evolve dh\shimano saint M805????

please help me...

Quote Originally Posted by amir1234
    What do i need to know before buying a new crank?
    i have a giant glory dh 2007. i don't really know what i have to check before buying the crank (bottom brascket size?)
    shimano saint M815\race face evolve dh\shimano saint M805????

please help me...

You just need to know the bottom bracket size, which is 83mm.
    And the crank arm length that you're comfortable with. The most common in DH are 165mm and 170mm (there's also 175mm but I'm guessing you'd me smashing or pedals everywhere with the frame under compression).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

crank...

any suggestions???
    shimano saint M815/shimano saint M805/race face/truvativ???

Quote Originally Posted by amir1234
    any suggestions???
    shimano saint M815/shimano saint M805/race face/truvativ???
    I'm a Shimano fan, and have the M815 on my Maelstrom.
    Depending on your weight, riding style and riding trails you could go with the Race Face Atlas, which are nice too.
    I'm not a big Truvativ fan, their bottom brackets are quite heavy with no real gain.

I'd say external cups bottom bracket cranks (like Shimano and Race Face) are overall easier to service and lighter. You can also use different bottom bracket brands with the crank arms, Hope for instance makes external cups bottom brackets compatible with Shimano and Race Face with ceramic bearings, as does Enduro Bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

raceface\shimano

what do you think about raceface evolve dh?

mtbr member
    They are heavy but work and are hard to break. Atlas is as durable but lighter, same for any saint model
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

I second norbar opinion about the Evolve DH.
    Also, people oftenly mention that Race Face are a bit trickier to setup than Shimano, but after setup they're solid.

mtbr member
    I was wondering what problems ppl have with them. I have no experiance with mouting cranks and I was supprised it was so simple.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    I was wondering what problems ppl have with them. I have no experiance with mouting cranks and I was supprised it was so simple.
    I never had a pair and only used Shimano in the last years so I can't comment, but it's common to read that, whatever it means.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Can't go wrong with Saints. M815 if you can find them cheap, like on Chain Reaction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Race Face cranks require you to preload the bearings with small 1mm thick plastic shims. You end up putting the BB in and installing the crank, the removing a crank arm a few times to get the preload correct. It only takes a few minutes but it is not as easy as the Shimano or FSA system. Most people that claim RF bottom brackets wear out quick install too many preload shims. The easiest way to get the right preload is a bit different than the directions that come with the cranks. Install the BB with the appropriate number of BB spacers. Slide the crank arm/axle through the BB without any preload spacers and tighten the drive side arm on until it completely bottoms out on the axle. It should be a very tight fit and require a good amount of force. Look at the amount of axle that is still visible. Estimate how many shims are required to fill that space and remove the crank arm. Install the shims in the positions recommended by the directions. This is the important part: install the crank arms and tighten all the way. You need to play with the shims until you have a small amount of lateral play in the cranks. If there is no play, remove shims until you have play when everything is tight. That is when you know that you need 1 more shim. When you figure out the shims in this manner you end up with the minimum amount of preload on the bearings (resulting in longer life and less drag) and the drive side crank arm is fully engaged on the axle spline (greater mechanical security). Most people install too many shims overloading the bearings causing premature wear.
    I have Atlas FR cranks on my '09 Glory and they are sexy. They are machined in Canada (right near the north shore) which is not too far from whereI live and as a machinist the slighlty angular machined look appeals to me. They have been running perfectly for almost a year now. I would by them again over the Saints any day but really you can't go wrong with any top end DH/FR crank. If you finished reading this post you can install RF cranks in about the time it takes to read it.

Now with More Wood
    All you need to know - Saint M815. I am usually allergic to Shimano stuff, but was talked into going with the Saints, and boy do I not regret that decision. Strong, relatively light, VERY EASY to install and service, and they look good too. What is there not to like...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    go for a profile
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    saints, simply the best there is in terms of durability and easy maintenance + installing.

mtbr member
    M815, super easy to install and remove (like 30 seconds easy) and they will not break, period. They're also fairly light, especially for their strength. The only little quirk they have is thicker chainring tabs (for strength) so you may have trouble with some chainguides but it shouldn't be a big deal and if you throw on a LG1 you will wonder why you bothered with anything else (cranks or guide).

I AM I AM
    Also make sure you're not buying a crank set that requires a special too to install which you don't have! If it looks like it has anything other than allen bolts or needs a tool to extract the cranks to take them off then factor that into your purchase too.
    Nothing worse than getting a new set of cranks / bb only to find you don't have the tools to install them!

Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    Also make sure you're not buying a crank set that requires a special too to install which you don't have! If it looks like it has anything other than allen bolts or needs a tool to extract the cranks to take them off then factor that into your purchase too.
    Nothing worse than getting a new set of cranks / bb only to find you don't have the tools to install them!
    Well even Shimano or Race Face needs the Hollowtech Tool (or something with a different name, for the same purpose) for the bottom bracket.
    But that's a good reminder.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hafnz
    Well even Shimano or Race Face needs the Hollowtech Tool (or something with a different name, for the same purpose) for the bottom bracket.
    But that's a good reminder.
    Well yes it depends what BB you already have and weather or not you're replacing it along with the cranks, you would obviously have to be able to remove the BB first if you are! And not all cranks come with a BB, I guess it can depend on where you're buying them from!

For shimano / raceface ex type bb's I use the Park Tool BBT-9

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying cranks that require special tools as long as you're aware of it when buying them, is more the point I was trying to get at!

mtbr member
    The cheapish ones off pricepoint work perfectly if you're just wrenching on your own bike.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdrunner
    The cheapish ones off pricepoint work perfectly if you're just wrenching on your own bike.
    I got that one off CRC, must have been on sale as I thought it was a pretty good price at the time, well especially compared to what they were charging locally, must have paid like 1/3 of that!

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Definitely go with the saint, I am not a fan of the interface of the RaceFace cranks, mine have developed play despite the fact I have only disassembled them twice and that it wasn't cause because they were loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

maker of trail
    another vote for the saints, I really like the shimano mounting system over pretty much any other crank system I've used to date.

I run the first gen saints on my bike, slx on the HT, and just got some deore cranks for my wifes bike, droped over a pound going from old isis hussefelts to the deore (and $64 for crank+BB+triple rings?! what? how could I not try them!).

Members who have read this thread: 0