New bikey! Saints?- Mtbr.com
    Peace Coast Style

New bikey! Saints?

Ok, sketchin out an idea here. Thinking of putting together a 4x/FR/DJ bike. So, Im looking for some brakes. And no, I dont want used ones. Don't know what to throw on it though. Saints look affordable and seem to have a reputation. But I can also get a pair of Hope Mono Mini's for the same exact price. Im not gonna drop more than $400 on these brakes, I don't wanna be over $350 for these brakes at the tops. I'm tryin to keep the bike at about a $2000 build price. Lastly, any good ideas for a white fork under or at $500? I've been lookin at the Zocchi 4x WC, is it a good fork? And a good set of tires? Minions? And, whats a good price to pay for a Syncros FR Wheelset (Front and rear) and where to get them?

Well, I'll just list out the build so far:

Frame: Duncon Pitbull - White
    Fork: Marzocchi 4X WC (?) - White
    Wheels: Syncros FR (?) - White
    Front Brake: Shimano Saint M800 - 203mm.. or ..Hope Mono Mini - 203mm
    Rear Brake: Shimano Saint M800 - 160mm.. or ..Hope Mono Mini - 183mm
    Bars: Deity DH/Street 2014 - White
    Cassette: SRAM PG990 9spd - Red
    Chain: SRAM PC 991 9spd
    Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller ISIS DH Bash & Double Ring
    Front Der: SRAM X.9 9spd F-Mech Conventional BB
    Rear Der: SRAM X.9 Medium Cage R-Mech 9spd
    Grips- ODI Rouge Lock-on - Red
    Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro
    Pedals: Crank Brothers 5050X
    Saddle: Planet-X X-Uranus Saddle- Union Jack
    Seat Post Clamp: Hope Seat Clamp & QR - Red
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifter 9spd
    Stem: Deity I Beam CNC 6061- Black
    Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DH Super Tacky 2.5 (?)
    Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DH Super Tacky 2.35 (?)

Total Price built up on www.chainreactioncycles.com = $1447.44
    Frame Price on www.beyondbikes.com = $500.00
    Total Price = $1947.44
    (I will be doing most of the labor myself, its my first build but I know my way around a bike very well. I've taken mine apart and put it back together before, so... no biggie)

So, any major no-no's for this build? Is it gonna be crazy heavy? I want it relatively light, but still strong and not gonna cost me a load of cash. This will be replacing the P.O.S. Hardrock Pro which has gotten me into the sport.

Basic Question List:
    -Brakes: Saints, Mono Mini, ect
    -Fork: Marzocchi 4X WC or other fork upto 150mm - color white
    -Tires: For 4X/DJ/FR

-Wheelset: How much should I expect to pay for a pair of Syncros FR Wheelset?
    Thanks a billion -Heals
    Last edited by Heals120; 11-07-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Saints were/are on sale at UniversalCycles for cheap and came with rotors to fit both IS and that annoying splined setup that Shimano uses. I got my set with levers for @ 280.

Just this weekend I gave them a good run through at Bootleg and must say they're better than my crappy old Hayes. I had zero issues and don't forsee any either. Although, if I do I have a set of Gustavs on backup.

Peace Coast Style
    Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm gonna start this build up slow, moving parts over and onto the hardrock and will eventually have the whole HR replaced. I still gotta have a urban bike. The FSRXC is to long and weak for that. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    I love the feel of Shimano brakes, and they're super reliable. I'd go for the Saints. As for forks, the 4X WC just came out, so there aren't going to be many people who've ridden one yet. Pikes are always a good way to go, and I've heard good things about the Manitou Gold Label. Those could be worth looking into too. Out of those, I'd probably pick a Pike, unless you are absolutly set on white, in which case the 4X WC gets my vote.

Members who have read this thread: 0