new bike for Keystone, Sol Vista etc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

new bike for Keystone, Sol Vista etc?

I am moving to Summit County in the fall and plan on getting into the whole lift accessed scene. I'm pretty sure my '07 Coiler will handle everything based on my previous experience at Keystone but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to look into another bike for the stable like a stinky, bighit etc, which would be just for lift riding, so I wouldn't have to compromise in regards to geometry or components? Just looking for some insight from locals or others with more experience than myself.

Thanks alot.

Also I mentioned the bighit and stinky based on their prices. I would love to have a v-10 or a Sunday but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Will to Win
    what's your budget? best move is buy a used DH/FR specific rig.
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

Registered Jong
    You will deffinatly have more fun on a dh spec bike. Especailly at keystone. I think the coiler would work well for local trails and other stuff. But for lift acess get another bike. If you think you should either look into a slightly used v10 or whatever u want. But if u want new, Mongoose ec-d

mtbr member
    take this post to the colorado front range forums. they'll tell you whats up.

mtbr member
    How much travel does the Coiler have? 6"? I'd say that's the least I'd recommend for resort riding in CO like Keystone and SV. You don't say what fork you have, but as long as it has at least 6" you'll be fine. You won't be able to go quite as fast as the boys with proper DH bikes, but you'll be able to ride the terrain and have a blast....assuming you've got the skills. When my Sunday was waiting on parts I would ride my Nomad at Keystone and still do everything I could on the Sunday, just not as fast, especially in the high-speed stuff.

But overall, yeah, your best long-term solution is a proper DH bike. Get one used.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Definitely a DH or FR bike for Keystone

Not only do you get more travel in a DH or FR bike, you get a slacker HT angle and a longer wheelbase. Last year I rode Keystone all summer on a Turner RFX - 6+ inches of travel and a 68 degree HT angle. I was definitely off the back with the pack I was riding with - all on Demo 7's and 8's.

I now have a Demo 8 and am looking forward to trying it at Keystone - I have already ridden Sol Vista last weekend and the Demo is a huge step up from my RFX - not only with two more inches of travel, but a 65 degree HT angle makes the steeps look much less scary.

A DH or FR bikes is going to be more "cockpit back" than a 6" AM bike, too, which provides less anxiety going down steeps. In addition, greater weight and bigger rubber will make the bike less jumpy when you run into an obstacle; for example, my RFX weighs 34 lbs. and I run 2.5's on Mavic 819 hoops. On the Demo I run Mavic 823's and 2.7 rubber and it weighs 43 lbs.

Just some more information that I learned from experience last year. FWIW. Enjoy.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    this looks like a yummy deal. and it would be a great rig for DH. http://cgi.ebay.com/Intense-M1-Downh...:B:SRCH:US:101

Glad to Be Alive
    if you have a Coiler then there is no way I would buy a Stinky...preettyy much same bike...just a little more travel
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have an 07 bighit 2 and so far its holding up well, looking forward to trying it at keystone. So far I've only been to SolVista. Can it's 7" fork (domain) keep up with the more DH-oriented bikes at keystone and sol? When do you really need 8"?

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Budget wise I was looking at around $1000-$1500 maybe a bit more if it was a screaming deal. So used would definitely be the way to go unless I can make friends with some some shop employees. Another question I have been wondering about is whether I should look at rigs with dual crowns or stick with a single? I would classify my riding style as "bull in a china shop" wherein I have some technical ability and I like going fast but my lines aren't always the smoothest or most flowing. And I wonder if I would benefit from greater rigidity up front?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    How much travel does the Coiler have? 6"? I'd say that's the least I'd recommend for resort riding in CO like Keystone and SV. You don't say what fork you have, but as long as it has at least 6" you'll be fine. You won't be able to go quite as fast as the boys with proper DH bikes, but you'll be able to ride the terrain and have a blast....assuming you've got the skills. When my Sunday was waiting on parts I would ride my Nomad at Keystone and still do everything I could on the Sunday, just not as fast, especially in the high-speed stuff.

But overall, yeah, your best long-term solution is a proper DH bike. Get one used.
    I have a 7 Point that I seem to have let my son adopt. He's fun to ride with so it's ok but now I need a bike for Keystone too. We just got back from Whistler and had fun on trails like A-line and Dirt Merchant. While we haven't been there I assume Keystone has some similar terrain? Should I get another 7 Point or go with a longer bike like a Demo 7 or Sunday for jumping, general downhill and one or two Dh races a year?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Personally, I think if you're going to buy a lift-served bike for CO, get a full-blown DH sled.

They'll feel better, and nothing is built for pure downhill speed like them. You're never going to want to pedal a 7" bike, either, so why mess around with front derailleurs and less than ideal geometries?

I'm of the opinion that the ideal bike set-up for CO is a lightish 5" FS bike and an 8"+ DH bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah, generally speaking, any bike you had at the Whizz will be fine at a CO resort. And yes Keystone will be "similar". Keep in mind it is almost impossible for the rocky, sandy, dry soil of Keystone to match that of the loamy, moist dirt of Whistler. Meaning I think our trails a bit rougher overall than there. If you are considering racing, go for the big DH bike, no question. The handling and speed you can attain is insane. Squatch is mostly right. For CO, and since the majority of us live in the front range, a pedally bike (AM/XC small FR) and a DH bike is the norm in my circle of bro's. But be careful, two bikes lead to three, then you'll starting considering a road bike, or a bmx, or a *gasp* fixie 29'er! But it's all in the name of fun and fitness right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273
    Thanks for all the input. Budget wise I was looking at around $1000-$1500 maybe a bit more if it was a screaming deal. So used would definitely be the way to go unless I can make friends with some some shop employees. Another question I have been wondering about is whether I should look at rigs with dual crowns or stick with a single? I would classify my riding style as "bull in a china shop" wherein I have some technical ability and I like going fast but my lines aren't always the smoothest or most flowing. And I wonder if I would benefit from greater rigidity up front?
    The only conditions I would consider doing a long-travel singlecrown fork is if your frame has a 1.5 steerer and so does the fork. But that's just me as I'm a tall dude at 185lbs and can feel the flex in my nomad with a 66 (1 1/8 steer/headtube). So if you tend to plow mr-bull-in-a-china-shop, i'd go with a dual. Keep your eyes peeled, I bet you can find a complete DH bike, used, in your price range. You'll be glad you did.

Members who have read this thread: 0