New Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Bike

mtbr member

New Bike

Hi, i'm looking for a full suspension freeride bike for very cheap. I have a Kona Cowan atm for dirt jumping but since riding my mates full sus freeride bike (no idea what it was) i realise that i need a full suser for rock gardens and stuff like that. The only bike i've looked at at the moment is a coiler. any other recommendations would be helpful.

BTW: Used would be fine
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    cheap... try the Stinky or Dirtbag
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

Meh.
    You don't NEED a full suspension bike. I can still tear through rockgardens on my hardtail with 24s.

Price range? Short travel? Long travel? Do you intend to pedal up hills as well? Or get shuttled to the top and just ride down?

Portland, OR
    You could look into just some longer travel forks for your cowan. I have a friend who rides an 04' Cowan with a 02 SuperT and then when it comes to dirt jumps, he just puts back his 100mm fork. he manages to keep up with me when I'm on my fully. like consider maybe just a rockshox pike? then you can go anywhere from 140mm of travel for the rockgardens to 85mm for dirt jumping. or you could get an adj travel freeride fork. like the stance flow. 120mm-150mm of travel adjust.

but if you REALLY need the FS, the coilers are pretty nice bikes. you'll get a lot more for your money by going used though.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Some solid advice todd, but he still hasn't established a price range or told us how he intends to ride.

Used is probably the best way to go.

kona-tize me captain
    dude stick wiht ur hardtail, try to ride rockagrdens with it, just buy a longer travel fork. and if u dont liek that, then get a full suspension. i totally regret not buyign a beefy hardtail to ride dh wiht, i think it would be soo much fun, then after a couple seasons i woudl get a full suspension.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    err not really thought about price ranges yet. I would just like to know what i can get cheap in general. I would really just like a FS bike for drops and in general harder riding. I love my hardtail at the moment for the dirt jumps. It makes it so easy but when doing some urban drops down stairs it almost makes it impossible as i run 60psi to stop pinch flats and have a stiff fork as well. (will be upgrading soon though). Going downhill is also unpredictable. My favourite downhill track is basically a 2km downhill footpath with just roots/twigs tree stumps and stuff like that in which you can easily get 35mph without pedaling. I have never been able to measure it accurately as my mate cannot keep up on his motorbike in which he does just over 30mph. but even at these speeds my bike just bounces round the corners. As i will have a car in a couple of weeks i will also be able to go farther distances to go riding. I would also like to do 10ft drops without it breaking so long-ish travel would help there.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    the bike would be built up very slowly over the summer if it was just a frame but i have seen a club roost XS barely used for very cheap with a RS pike. anyone have any experience with this bike.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Members who have read this thread: 0