New 66 RC2X- Mtbr.com

Thread: New 66 RC2X

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New 66 RC2X

Just wanted to share some pics. My new Marz 66 came in last week, pretty sweet. The fork is pretty burly, the new adjusters look a bit cleaner and stronger.

Good news: It is super low/aggressive for a 7 inch fork. Only about a 1/2 inch higher (if you line up the axles) than my 6 inch Z1.

Bad news: The new brake mount requires a couple of little part changes for my Maguras to work with it so I have to wait a couple days to put it on my 6pack. Sigh.

I will write up a review of it once its actually on my ride.

Thanks S.E. for making this happen!

-Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RockgardnTom; 10-26-2005 at 07:37 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    Have you gotten a chance to weigh it yet?

Marzocchi's weights are usually BS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    actually, no. I can tell you that it doesnt feel super heavy...I will tonight and edit the post.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockgardnTom
    actually, no. I can tell you that it doesnt feel super heavy...I will tonight and edit the post.
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Have you gotten a chance to weigh it yet?

Marzocchi's weights are usually BS.
    Marzocchi's weights have been right on for the last few years, check the weight weenies site and see for yourself.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, you just have to read the fine print on weight. They post the weight of the fork WITHOUT the steer tube. That's probably why people think the weights are B.S.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Marzocchi's weights have been right on for the last few years, check the weight weenies site and see for yourself.
    Yup. Looks like most of them were heavier than claimed.
    Not to mention this is a new fork.

Therefore I want a real life weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Yeah, you just have to read the fine print on weight. They post the weight of the fork WITHOUT the steer tube. That's probably why people think the weights are B.S.
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, but then the steer weights are listed too.... This is done because sometimes the forks are spec'ed differently...

Brian

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson
    Yeah, but then the steer weights are listed too.... This is done because sometimes the forks are spec'ed differently...

Brian
    Ahh. I always wondered why you guys did that. I guess it makes sense if you have a few steel/aluminum differences in OEM spec.

You guys don't have a weight listed for the 66 sl which is the one I was more curious about. You don't have any idea on that one do you?

pwn3rator
    preety sick...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ahh. I always wondered why you guys did that. I guess it makes sense if you have a few steel/aluminum differences in OEM spec.

You guys don't have a weight listed for the 66 sl which is the one I was more curious about. You don't have any idea on that one do you?
    I haven't thrown one on a scale yet... But I think it is at or just under 6lbs... Tschessy was weighing them at the show...

Brian

Now with flavor!!
    I haven't thrown one on a scale yet... But I think it is at or just under 6lbs... Tschessy was weighing them at the show...

Brian
    Cool. Thanks for the direction. Here's his post if anyone else is interested.

I am carrying a digital scale around the floor show with me (yes, I am king geek) and tossed a few of the new Zokes on it. Here is what I found. Note all are with full steerer tubes AND the thru-axles installed. They have oil in them also as far as I know. Brian Peterson was there too.
    66 Light 6.50#
    66 SL (with fender installed- subtract maybe 3oz/100g) 5.88#
    66 VF2 6.75#
    66 BC2X 6.43#
    Z1 Light (with fender installed- subtract maybe 3oz/100g) 5.75#
    AM SL 4.5#
    Now the next question. Anybody happy/unhappy with how the doppio air spring functions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool. Thanks for the direction. Here's his post if anyone else is interested.

Now the next question. Anybody happy/unhappy with how the doppio air spring functions?
    Well, since you asked...

I have a 03 Z1 SL that has seen use on a couple of different bikes over the past couple of years... It's been great... With the addition of the RC2 cartridge, that should be a pretty sick set up....

Anybody interested in a custom Z1 SL 130mm travel with 20mm axle, PM me.. I have upgradeitis right now...

Brian

Now with flavor!!
    .. I have upgradeitis right now...

Brian
    Dude, if I had your job, I'd be like those girls who worked in the gap that I went to high school with..........actually MORE broke from having the job from buying so much of the stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dude, if I had your job, I'd be like those girls who worked in the gap that I went to high school with..........actually MORE broke from having the job from buying so much of the stock.
    Yeah, I am my own best customer...LOL... Just figuring out how to get the extra funds to pay for the new stuff is a biotch.... I need a second job to pay for what I buy here...

Brian

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Hey what's the A to C on the 170? Yeah I know it's on Marz's site but to be quite honest I'm to damn lazy to look it up!

N* Bomber Crew
    Thats pretty short A to C for 7 inches. Its around the height of my Z150 by the looks.

No white though? Dude...gotta go with the white.....

(What version comes in white?...isn't it the RC2X?)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Thats pretty short A to C for 7 inches. Its around the height of my Z150 by the looks.

No white though? Dude...gotta go with the white.....

(What version comes in white?...isn't it the RC2X?)
    As of right now, only the VF2 is available in White here in the States...

Brian

ride your bike
    As of right now, only the VF2 is available in White here in the States...

Brian
    The pics are wrong on the website....
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    The pics are wrong on the website....
    The pics reflect the Euro line... The US catalog can be downloaded on the US site now...

Brian

ride your bike
    The pics reflect the Euro line... The US catalog can be downloaded on the US site now...

Brian
    Dang. Know if there's any chance of the white RC2X released in the US?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The A to C on that fork is wicked freakin short for a 7 inch... and yeah...I was a bit bummed that the fork wasnt white, as people mentioned below it is not accurate on the site. Oh well though...I am dying to get it on the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Dang. Know if there's any chance of the white RC2X released in the US?
    As of right now, a pretty good chance of that.... Do to popular demand (Who would have guessed we would have so many people go nuts over white 6 months ago???) we are working on getting some...

Brian

FM
    mtbr member
    Just wanted to share some pics. My new Marz 66 came in last week, pretty sweet. The fork is pretty burly, the new adjusters look a bit cleaner and stronger.
    Dude, thanks for posting. I have an RFX with no fork right now (had a Z150 on it which I sold...) I am planning on the RC2X but I'm hoping to get a little more info before I sell my soul to pay for it. So definately post a review whne you get a ride on! Should be the perfect fork for the 'pack/rfx...

what did you end up doing for brake adapters? I have the old-school shimano XT 4-pots, which are IS mount only.. I was hoping the forks would come with an adapter. Can you post any info about what adapter you bought, how much, etc?

Also really curious about the RC2X- sounds like the bomb according to NSMB....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yo man, I will deffinately post a review on this fork...im dying to ride it with my pack. Because the fork is a straight mount for the brakes (not sure that is the right term) instead of a side mount..I had to get a new adapter and a new caliper for the Magura Louise's that are on my 6pack (8 inch models, fyi).

The fork came with the usual marzocchi stuff....nice bag, air valve adapter thing, and the instruction book...no brake adapters.

Once I get the parts from Magura, I will post a picture if you want.

tom

ride your bike
    As of right now, a pretty good chance of that.... Do to popular demand (Who would have guessed we would have so many people go nuts over white 6 months ago???) we are working on getting some...

Brian
    Nice. Thanks for the info.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good news: It is super low/aggressive for a 7 inch fork. Only about a 1/2 inch higher (if you line up the axles) than my 6 inch Z1.

Bad news: The new brake mount requires a couple of little part changes for my Maguras to work with it so I have to wait a couple days to put it on my 6pack. Sigh.

I will write up a review of it once its actually on my ride.

Thanks S.E. for making this happen!

-Tom
    your 66RC2 is black ?? in France, it'll be white..... you can find black 66RC2 in your country ???

Cheesiest
    Everywhere I have looked, the RC2X is only offered in 170 mm. Anyone know if there will be a travel reduction kit to 150 mm?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Everywhere I have looked, the RC2X is only offered in 170 mm. Anyone know if there will be a travel reduction kit to 150 mm?
    As of right now I don't know what would be involved with reducing the travel on a RC2X... But, here is something to think about, the new 170mm RC2X sits 10mm lower than the old 150RC...

Brian

mtbr member
    I tried to order the 888 RC2x in white today....they said in January maybe???
    I ordered the black and will probably try and get the white lowers in a month or so.....BS!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    weird...just a while back...everyone was complaining about how TALL the 66 was....now, the pendulum has swung the other way??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrainingWheelz?
    I tried to order the 888 RC2x in white today....they said in January maybe???
    I ordered the black and will probably try and get the white lowers in a month or so.....BS!
    That's what we are aiming for right now...

Brian

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    weird...just a while back...everyone was complaining about how TALL the 66 was....??
    That's because it is/was for 05.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    now, the pendulum has swung the other way??
    No the fork changed design.

~~~~~~~~
    RockgardnTom, get that thing setup and visit the turner forum, the crew over there would like to check it out.

Looking forward to seeing a side view of your bike with the new fork on so we can see how slack it looks.

mtbr member
    As of right now I don't know what would be involved with reducing the travel on a RC2X... But, here is something to think about, the new 170mm RC2X sits 10mm lower than the old 150RC...

Brian
    Hey you must forget I am the master of travel reduction Brian
    Didnt you say in my booth " jeeeez who would want a 90mm 66 ? "

I have 3 travel reduction kits availble for the marzocchi line .
    Havent tried to reduce a 66rcx yet but could probley figure it out .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok... I just saw the drawing for the 66RC2X... The 170 and 150 travel forks use different cartridges.. Travel changes will not be fun or cheap....

Brad, the RC2X is a totally different beast internally from the VF2 you slammed...

Brian

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Up in Turner Forum.

not really a noob
    they should use flat crowns on the 66's that'd be sick looking,

and for hallwoeen it should be a marz 666
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

DHS
    mtbr member

-Tom
    NNNOOOOO i hate that mount. i have to get all new hardware for my Hopes. dammit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, it was not the best news but Magura hooked me up. I WILL be riding this bike this weekend and not pedaling my 42 lb DHR uphill any more.

Members who have read this thread: 0