New 5th Detonates; How's Progressive's CS?- Mtbr.com
    DOH!

New 5th Detonates; How's Progressive's CS?

Well, my brand new 5th Element on a brand new Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame lasted 1/2 a run before it detonated and spewed its guts all over the place. It was set up with proper air volume/pressure, as well as normal compression and rebound settings. No drops, just a semi-fast run down a rocky ATV track. Got to the bottom, and noticed oil spewed all over the lower half of my frame, chainguide, shoes.... Grrr. For those that have had dealings with Progressive recently, how's customer service these days, and what's about normal turn-around for repair? Calling tomorrow...

Well, as a first impression the 5th really let me down. I've beat the snot out of a number of Fox's for years without one blowing up, and here I get one of the supposedly better next-gen shocks and it doesn't even last a full run down the mountain. ...Oh well, here's hoping the repair lasts longer than the original... Cheers.

nsmb member
    [QUOTE=Well, as a first impression the 5th really let me down. I've beat the snot out of a number of Fox's for years without one blowing up, and here I get one of the supposedly better next-gen shocks and it doesn't even last a full run down the mountain. ...Oh well, here's hoping the repair lasts longer than the original... Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same thing happened to the one on my ASX. They were pretty quick about getting it back to me. I think it only took about a week. A couple of things sucked about the ordeal, however. Firstly, when I called them, the lady that answered was kinda rude. I told her that my shock had blown, and she was all, "What makes YOU think it's blown?" Like I didn't know what a blown shock would look or act like (it was topping out with a huge clang). When I did get it back, they weren't too careful about the packaging, and the sticker was all scratched up on the reservoir. While I realize that this is a small detail, it irked me nonetheless. I mean, damnit! That shock had exacltly one ride on it!

Well, I got about two months use out of it. It's leaking again, and it looks like I'll have to send it back. Hopefully the situation will be fully rectified this time around. I'm going to Iraq pretty soon anyway, so I won't be able to get much more riding in this season.

Good luck.
    "Dios Mio, man! Liam and me, we gonna **** you up!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5th

customer service is good but it seems there product is failing alot my scream is 5 months old and the shock has been there 4 times first time it failed just ridind in my yard

Absurd
    I've had nothing but good experiences with them. When I first got my shock, about 2 mos. in to it I lost the plastic shock tool and took an allen wrench to the beg. stroke adjustment. I over torqued it and poped it right out of the coller. My LBS shipped it to them, 4 days later they shipped it back to me free of charge. It was probably pretty clear to them that the problem was my f-up, still no charge. Then just last month at the Sea Otter I cruised by their booth to see if they might have a heavier spring they could sell me, Larry said "no, but we can swap you out one for free". Pretty Fuc*in cool !! They swaped my spring out for a heavier one, serviced the shock, set it up and put a nob on the rebound adjuster all for free, and in about 1/2 hr. Oh yea, and they offered me a seat and something to drink while we waited!

If I were you though, I'd send it in asap before the season really heats up and the wait time gets longer.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    My 5th died after my first day of riding, so i sent it in and got it fixed. Progressive actually CALLED ME to let me know how it was progressing and that they were fixing it. That pretty much blew me away. The shock has been fine ever since (almost a year).
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

DOH!
    Nice. Thanks for the info! Sounds like the experience shouldn't be too painful, then. I'm still disappointed about only getting half a run out of it before it blew, but I'm up for giving them a second chance. Sheot happens. If it fails again, I think I'll be looking into a replacement.

...Yup, I'm going to get it back to them ASAP before the season takes off and they get swamped. If it had to happen, now's a good a time as any.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mike told me about it. That sucks!! I hope you liked the new ride while the fun lasted. I have heard of a lot of problems with the 5th el right out of the box. But it seems that when they work they last a long time. Mike's 5th on his M1 went bad fast. But after they fixed it no more problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5th Blown?

All we can do is apologize for this. I can issue you a RGA # if you want or call at 760 948-4012 for one. Our current turnaround is around 72 hours. Our failure rate is way down but any failure is a concern of ours. We inspect your failure to try to determine why it failed to try to prevent future failures.

Larry/Progressive

mtbr member
    My Bullit had a 5th on it, treated me well for a year and a half, sent it in at the one year mark for standard service, never let me down.

My new bike that I have on order has a 5th on it as well. Can not wait for the good times to start rolling again.....

TJ

DOH!
    Larry, you rock. As soon as I get done typing, I'll call. Thanks for the reply!! Like I said, things can happen even right out of the box, and I'm certainly willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt to make it right.

Cheers.

DOH!
    Sorry for the 2xPost, but I just wanted to give props to Larry at Progressive. I called, got right through to him, he appologized for the problems and issued me an RGA #. Turn around should be about 72 hours.

How refeshing to call a company, talk to a real live person right off, and get a resolution immediately. I can honestly count on less than three fingers the number of times that's happened to me in the past. Progressive gets an 'A' for keeping this customer happy, despite the shock problems.

Bent, not broken.
    If you're getting no love from Progressive, look at the Swingers from Manitou. I had a 5th that went back three times for that very problem, sold it and got a 6 way Swinger. It has lasted far longer than the Progressive and works just as well.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.