New '09 Coilair looking for up grades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New '09 Coilair looking for up grades

Just picked up a new 09 coilair, would like to here comments on up grades. I don't ride to hard. Mostly with family and hunting. Might try Willamete Pass with my son. I know it is on the heavy side, but I still like it and the price was right. Here are the main parts; Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum Magic System 6+1 Travel Frame Marzocchi 55-TST2 160mm Travel Fork Fox Float RP2 Rear Shock FSA Moto-X Integrated Crankset/BB Shimano 575 Hydraulic Disc Brakes. Try not to bash me, Thanks
    Last edited by Beaversprings2001; 12-28-2010 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Get a lighter crankset... Truvativ Stylo will be plenty tough and not too pricey. Thomson seatpost and stem, a little pricey but crazy light. And then just upgrade as you break/wear out stuff or as your preferences change.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Could look into lighter wheels and that would make it easier to pedal around. This would probably be a good upgrade and since you don't ride as aggressive as other people this would allow you to get much lighter wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I do appreciate the help
    Last edited by Beaversprings2001; 12-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    You will hate that fork, if it doesn't explode right away.
    I had that exact same bike. Fork lasted 2 rides before I ditched it for a Lyrik. The 55 was a pile in 2009. The crankset was the next part to die on me.

Otherwise, its a solid bike, just a bit heavy for what it is. Also keep an eye on the rear dropout bushings. They tend to develop some play after awhile. Kona hooked me up with a replacement rear end, new one was far more solid.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye on all of it. Hope it holds up to our riding. Sounds like you push pretty hard. I dont think I have that type of skill yet. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the DOPE kit is pretty nice if you dont have it already.

the fork is absolute CRAP. i went with what the guy above me did. i ditched it for a lyrik and that was the best decision i made for that bike. lightened up the front end a bit and it made the bike track a whole lot better.

all other upgrades are as mentioned as well. cranks if you just want to save weight. wheels would probably be your best bet for performance. this holds true with any bike. if you upgrade wheels, be sure to do your research.

HardyNutz
    May 2010
    I have an 09 coilair as well. the forks leaked oil out of the top by the lockout switch. shop sent em in they've been good since. also the brakes would not stay bled, every time i rode it they would soften up sometimes i could pull em all the way to the grips! shop ended up putting shimano SLX on it for free, they are sweet and adjustable. bent the stock wheels second day riding it, now i have Azonic Outlaws running them tubeless so far so good.

Glad to Be Alive
    save your cash and just ride it...replace stuff as it breaks....get better at your riding and don't worry ABOUT NEEDLESS UPGRADING

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Iv got a dope kit for your coilair if you want it.. Ill sling it for cheap.. lemme know. it came off my coilair

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    save your cash and just ride it...replace stuff as it breaks....get better at your riding and don't worry ABOUT NEEDLESS UPGRADING
    yep. but do get an adjustable post. by far the best upgrade ive ever made. and i have an 08 55 tst2 and it has been great, i have rode it hard for about half a year, i guess its a crapshoot.

HardyNutz
    May 2010

fork

Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    You will hate that fork, if it doesn't explode right away.
    I had that exact same bike. Fork lasted 2 rides before I ditched it for a Lyrik. The 55 was a pile in 2009. The crankset was the next part to die on me.

Otherwise, its a solid bike, just a bit heavy for what it is. Also keep an eye on the rear dropout bushings. They tend to develop some play after awhile. Kona hooked me up with a replacement rear end, new one was far more solid.

Enjoy!
    did u do a 160mm or 170mm lyrik? im gonna ditch the 55 tst2 its crap!

HardyNutz
    May 2010

fork

Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    the DOPE kit is pretty nice if you dont have it already.

the fork is absolute CRAP. i went with what the guy above me did. i ditched it for a lyrik and that was the best decision i made for that bike. lightened up the front end a bit and it made the bike track a whole lot better.

all other upgrades are as mentioned as well. cranks if you just want to save weight. wheels would probably be your best bet for performance. this holds true with any bike. if you upgrade wheels, be sure to do your research.
    ill ask u too, did u go with the 160 or 170mm lyrik?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    going to run the bomber 55 till it fails. I'll keep an eye out for a lyrik in the mean time.

Members who have read this thread: 0