Nervous about coming back...- Mtbr.com
    ROBOTIC RESERVE

Nervous about coming back...

Tomorrow will be my first ride in over 4 months! We had a bad stretch of weather that resulted in lots of rain. So rather then ruin the trails and ride them WET I took some time off and got fat in the process.

So anyways tomorrow will be my first ride this year and to be honest im really nervous about going out there. I Dont know why I feel this way, I have ridden this trail a 100 times. Im sure it will go away after I get started. Anyone else experience anything like this?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I came back after 10 years hiatus. Yes.

mtbr member
    Yup, not 4 months, but winter here in CT does put a damper on riding.
    The strange thing is that I get so stoked to ride that I usually rip it up my first time back.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

Glad to Be Alive
    ride slower and concentrate on fundamentals....you will be fine....just stay loose
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 03-26-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    rid
    e slower and concentrate on fundamentals....you will be fine....just stay loose

Thanks Buddy!
    Captain's Rides

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Thanks Buddy!
    no problem...elbows out, relaxed, don't death squeeze bars (relax), bounce bike around...look for rocks to pop off of,...and HAVE FUN
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Just roll it......
    I'm taking a new bike out 2morrow after not being on a DH bike in over 3 months and 8 weeks after breaking my collarbone. I plan on being chill and enjoying my day with buddies.

Word.
    EB

Now with More Wood
    I've had to get back to riding after injuries a couple of times these past 2 years (about 2-3 months off each time, and once with a broken leg which really got me out of shape as well)...I was surprised at how good I felt once on the bike again - and that was dealing with not just the physical aspect, but also the mental part (don't want to get injured again kinda thing...). Like SMT said, relax and have fun, look for the little stuff to work on getting loose on the bike again, trust your tires, and let the good times roll... You'll be tearing it up by the second run...

Roll on Spring Time!
    Like they say....its like riding a bike. It will come back to in no time.
    I just want to ride.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    as ya all hear me say, our winters suck and last almost half the year by the time things dry out enough to ride without ruinin the trails. not many chances to play dh or fr boy around here either. also had my fair share of substantial injuries that kept me down for up to 8 months at a time so ive been dealin with this for decades in 1 respect or another. yer fears are understandable and i think i know just what ya mean. its almost like we have to build up from scratch to a point and it takes a few rides to find that confident mind set yet it comes fast enough if ya re-nurture it. youll be fine as long as ya ride inside yer current yet re-expanding envelope and keep yer smile on.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Keep the rubber side down. Just take it easy and dont get caught up on going as fast as you used to.

mtbr member
    I did my first off road ride yesterday after over 4 months off. I felt out of shape and a bit sketchey in some corners. I can't wait to get out again!

You will be fine, take it slow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I took a two year sabbatical from from DH,built a Commencal Supreme and took it out last sunday felt just like home.I'm riding as confident if not more so,smiles all day! been riding a five inch bike for two seasons and feel it really improved and maintained my DH skills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Be careful,I put a nasty gash on in the calf last week....in fact I would hold off riding till next year

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Be careful,I put a nasty gash on in the calf last week....in fact I would hold off riding till next year
    dude whats your deal hahahahaha, BTW my ride was great, did much better then I expected.
    Captain's Rides

Glad to Be Alive
    Good 2 here....I think mentally you are better in your head when you come back...just got to get skills back in line and up to par

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Good 2 here....I think mentally you are better in your head when you come back...just got to get skills back in line and up to par

Yeah i agree with you there, I did notice that in sections i had to pedal i felt my legs get tired very fast and that made it hard to recover when i needed to shift my weight around etc... I found my self wanting to sit all the time. other my poor cardiovascular performance, i was ripping through some sections just like before.
    Captain's Rides

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    welcome home son. the dirt has missed you.

love, mother
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Like SMT said

Its good to be nervous, I'd be more worried if you weren't its a good nervous anticipation, Ive been off for sometime and still working my way back, I'm not fully recovered, so am treating each ride like a warm up, just working my way back bit by bit, build up to it slowly, having an edge like nervousness is a good thing it keeps you wired, when you take it for granted s h i t happens, now go rip it up, am looking fwd to winter here so no more dust, some mud, some drift, ah the breaks of having a country where ya can ride all year round

When ya not injured
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Petty and weak
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Like SMT said

Its good to be nervous, I'd be more worried if you weren't its a good nervous anticipation, Ive been off for sometime and still working my way back, I'm not fully recovered, so am treating each ride like a warm up, just working my way back bit by bit, build up to it slowly, having an edge like nervousness is a good thing it keeps you wired, when you take it for granted s h i t happens, now go rip it up, am looking fwd to winter here so no more dust, some mud, some drift, ah the breaks of having a country where ya can ride all year round

When ya not injured
    Hey Trailadvent, good to hear you're back on ya bike. Hope you and Maxxis are doing very well. My little Euki is two next week! Time flies eh Bro?

Snakebite, it's always nice to take a break and come back into it on form! I've been busy with work and haven't been DHilling myself, silly me. It's nice not to be broken tho
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    Hey Trailadvent, good to hear you're back on ya bike. Hope you and Maxxis are doing very well. My little Euki is two next week! Time flies eh Bro?

Snakebite, it's always nice to take a break and come back into it on form! I've been busy with work and haven't been DHilling myself, silly me. It's nice not to be broken tho
    Hey bud, yeah good to be back sorta, just working my way back into it slowly and dialing in the DHR which is a bit of fun, I'm hating recovery in between though, but gets better bit by bit.

Need to here some stories of you back on the Dh rig soon, yeah time sure flies alright, almost sureal at times, hah Maxxis and Euki are not far apart another month and he will be two, they get big huh
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

meow meow
    i always get butterflies but im not nervous just excited. just flow and you'll be cool.

mtbr member
    Be careful, sometimes your nuts retract so far into your abdomin that they won't distend. Happened to a friend of mine.......
    I'm GNARcissistic

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    Be careful, sometimes your nuts retract so far into your abdomin that they won't distend. Happened to a friend of mine.......
    haha hope your kidding
    Captain's Rides

Members who have read this thread: 0