Needs replacing........- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Needs replacing........

I have a few items from stock that need replacing. What order would you replace them in, and what brand & model? You can see my profile for what I have changed already.......

Handlebars
    Stem
    Grips
    Rear Deraileur
    Shifter
    Bottom Bracket
    Cranks
    Flat Pedals
    Wheelset
    Bashguard
    Brakes

I was slowly building up my bike, but stopped riding for a few years. I am now back to riding, and am going to most likely keep this bike until I can afford a full suspension rig.

I ride mostly freeride/technical type stuff, no huge drops but am definitely not a gentle rider! I like light items that are bomber.

Lets hear the ideas

mtbr member
    Handlebars: sunline v1
    Stem: sunline v1
    Grips: odi ruffian
    Rear Deraileur: sram x9
    Shifter: sram x9
    Bottom Bracket: hope
    Cranks: middleburn or saint
    Flat Pedals: superstar nano tech thru pins
    Wheelset: if budget superstar, if not budget mavic ex823's on hope pro 2
    Bashguard: really necessary?
    Brakes: hope tech m4/v2

but loads of people on here will disagree, will be lucky to find any who shares similair opinions......
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Budget is always an issue, thats why I havent just replaced my trusty old hardtail yet. I will most likely look for sales or used parts for the time being.

What order should these be done in? In other words which mods will I see the most riding benefits from?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What do you have now?

No one can give you a recommendation for replacing parts if they don't know what you're replacing.

Yes, that's fonetic
    If the drive train is working ok, no need to replace any of that now. If the bb is tight, ditto. If it's an old bike I'd replace the bars first as a safety issue. It's recommended you change them about once a year anyway (not that I follow that recommendation). Your grips are an easy change and probably the cheapest. I'd recommend a lock on, ODI type grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Handlebars Specialized BigHit 6061
    Stem no name, cheapie
    Grips ODI Ruffian (worn out)
    Rear Deraileur Shimano Deore
    Shifter Shimano Deore
    Cranks Shimano FC-M440
    Bottom Bracket Shimano 4-104 pattern
    Front Wheel Alex Rims DM24
    Rear Wheel Cannondale CODA (built up pretty bombproof by a buddy
    Bashguard/Chain Retention e13 32 Special
    Brakes Shimano Stock (Deore?) Cable

I also have a DT Swiss Onyx hub (needs to be rebuilt, pawl isnt catching) laced onto a SunRims RhynoLite 6000.

mtbr member
    Doh! You are on a hardtail?

If you do serious freeride stuff on a hardtail, you likely ride even medium stuff pretty hard.

First replace what looks like it will break and will leave you damaged from the breakage:

1. Handlebars (think throat-plant on your stem if they break, with a few teeth knocked out): my favorite bomber cheap yet still bling bars are Spank.
    2. Cranks (think nuts pushed into your throat, and broken ankles if they break: I think the best cheapo burly cranks are Race Face Evolve DH
    3. Pedals (again, breakage sucks): Cheapo and burly, look at older discontinued models. Azonic maybe?

-the rest you can replace at your leisure. Derailer breakage just sucks, it usually won't damage you. Etc etc.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    should I just buy a whole new BB/Crank/chain guide setup? im on my second cheap BB, and this one is on its way out soon.......making lots o noise lately.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBull
    should I just buy a whole new BB/Crank/chain guide setup? im on my second cheap BB, and this one is on its way out soon.......making lots o noise lately.
    Chain guide is fine. Most new cranks you'll buy will come with new BB. Especially since what you have now, thinking Octolink?, isn't going to work with anything but old Shimano cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the opinions so far

Looks like cranks/BB and bars/stem are first up.

What brand of Cranks/BB does everyone prefer? Light and strong preferably, cheap too......is that even possible?

mtbr member
    i found a set of first gen saint cranks, bb, and e.thirteen bashguard on craigslist for $80 so just keep your eyes out for deals. you can always go with holzfeller cranks, and look on ebay as well..some good deals to be had on used stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are RF Diabolus first gen? They arent listed on their site any longer.

Which crank/BB setup will last and last and last and last?

Better to buy them as a package or seperate items?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What cranks should I be looking at for my needs?

So far I like;

Shimano XTR, and SLX
    Race Face Atlas, and Respond
    Truvativ Holzfeller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBull
    What cranks should I be looking at for my needs?

So far I like;

Shimano XTR, and SLX
    Race Face Atlas, and Respond
    Truvativ Holzfeller
    xtr??? are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    xtr??? are you serious?
    Guess not. Been trying to dig around on my own and see what would be the best fit for my riding style. Way too many choices out there.

Whats your suggestion?

mtbr member
    Cheap and strong, IŽd go SLX, I find them plenty strong. CRC has some older Race Face cranks at good price, I believe Jenson too, maybe worth a look.

Anyways, price of slx on CRC will be hard to beat.
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Its down to the Shimano SLX, or the RF Atlas AM.

-SLX are good looking, cept for that bash guard, and love the price!

-RF are lighter, and better looking, but the price.....!

It comes down to which is better quality, and more importantly, which has the better BB?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Sheesh, since you don't seem to know pretty much anything about bike mechanics (not that there's anything wrong with that), isn't it time to move this to the beginner's forum?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Sheesh, since you don't seem to know pretty much anything about bike mechanics (not that there's anything wrong with that), isn't it time to move this to the beginner's forum?
    Not much on the bike mechanics, I'm sure its simple enough just never took the time to learn.

All I am looking for is suggestions for the new gear I'm going to buy, and what suits my needs and riding style best. As little as I know about bike mechanics, I know even less about the hundreds of choices I have for each category of part that needs to be replaced.

Looking for a little help, thats all.

I AM I AM
    I've had Race Face Diabolus Cranks, nice but too burly for my needs. I'm currently using FSA Afterburners (comparable to Shimano) so I'd probably go for the SLX if I was to get a new set, hopefully they come with a BB as well so you kill two birds with one stone. The bashgurad is easy to replace for something nicer!

Handlebars and pedals, hmm there are way too many good options out there and a lot comes down to personal and brand preference. The new Answer handlebars could be worth checking out, the same with their new Rove Pedals, I think their stem looks a bit hard to keep clean though! Personally I'm using a Syncros FR stem and Syncros Bulk 2014 bars, I personally would look for handlebars with either 9n5 sweep angles or 8n6 and at least 710 wide.

Brakes, Shimano XT or Saint Hydro Discs!

Grips, either get a new set of Ruffians or try something new, Sunline or whatever.

Priority wise well grips are cheap to replace and one of the major contact points so that's somewhere near the top. I'd probably follow that up with pedals / stem / bar. After that brakes/ cranks depending on how your current ones perform.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks fo r4the great post

Order of priority for me is to get a new set of cranks and BB, and pedals. Current BB is on its way out. What I need to determine is if the SLX BB is sufficient fo rmy setup/riding habits, or if I should get just the SLX cranks, and a different BB? And if thats the case which BB is best for ME? I dont want anything thats super overkill, but something that will last.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Cranks come with the BB, so you can think of upgrading latter. no worries. The shimano BB should last at least a season no probs.

I AM I AM
    Even with the sealed bearing BB's I have in the past carefully pryed off the covers / dust caps etc and put some extra grease in for longevity. I know Race Face BB's have had a bad reputation for not lasting and Shimano was supposed to be a lot better.

I don't ride a great deal at the moment, I've had race face BB's in the past without problem, personally I didn't really notice that much difference between a race face diabolus BB and the shimanbo LX apart from the race face having a larger threaded area (it is DH oriented too compared to the LX I've got now).

The durability of a BB I imagine has more to do with proper installation of BB and cranks and also how much you ride, in the end if you get a year or two etc out of it, then it's not a hugely expensive part to replace. I would tend to think SLX would be fine.

All I know is an FSA Meg Exo BB that came with a used DH frame I brought was full of grit on one side (it was a sealed type but I did try to clean it out), it pretty much had it so I brought the Shimano one in it's place. But how can I make a judgment that FSA BB's are not as good as Shimano when I don't know it's history!
    I guess the point is that no one BB will last forever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There it is then, SLX Cranks and BB.

Should I do a new chain (halfway there now), and cassette while im at it? I figure with new gears on the front it might be smart to do it this way?

Members who have read this thread: 0