Need some opinions on these bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Need some opinions on these bikes

So out of these bikes, I was wondering which has the best components or which you guys would recommend for me. I plan on doing a lot of dirt jumping and freeriding, but I want to be able to use it for some other types riding as well. I'm 6'4", 170lbs so looking at the bigger frames here.

Norco Manik
    Kona Cowan
    Kona Five-O
    Gary Fisher Bitter

Steve
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar_D
    So out of these bikes, I was wondering which has the best components or which you guys would recommend for me. I plan on doing a lot of dirt jumping and freeriding, but I want to be able to use it for some other types riding as well. I'm 6'4", 170lbs so looking at the bigger frames here.

Norco Manik
    Kona Cowan
    Kona Five-O
    Gary Fisher Bitter
    Even though you are tall, I wouldn't reccommend buying anything over a medium.

If you want to dirt jump and freeride, big frames just don't cut it. i made the mistake of buying a large frame with one of my bikes and it is just so hard to maneuver and jump.

I'm looking to buy a manik myself. But yeah, it's your choice

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve695
    Even though you are tall, I wouldn't reccommend buying anything over a medium.

If you want to dirt jump and freeride, big frames just don't cut it. i made the mistake of buying a large frame with one of my bikes and it is just so hard to maneuver and jump.

I'm looking to buy a manik myself. But yeah, it's your choice

depends on the company, some I ride a medium and some a large like in cannondale alone I would ride a medium proffet and a large judge. its just a feel thing.
    but for a jump bike you may want a medium if you come from a BMX backround, trail riding go large

the fisher looks like a cheesy build, the KONA's have better brakes and the Norco had better shifters SRAM x7s allot nicer than than the shampoos on the KONAs, but the KONA comes with 50cc bovine testostarone wich makes up for it.

if you want a jump bike go cowan if you want a trail bike go 5-O if you want a jump/trail bike go norco (looking at geometry only)

-ive never ridden any of these bikes
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

Brackish
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/TrailOrPark.cfm

I'm 6'2", and the only DJ bike I've been on that works for me and fits like a glove is the Long Trail or Park. It's not a large frame, just longer and it keeps the flickability of a DJ bike without being clunky. Be careful of what the manufacturer intends the bike to be used for, I had a large IH Yakuza Waka-Gashira hardtail and it was immense: great for hardcore trail riding but absolutely horrible for DJs or park riding. I really missed my Giant STP after I tried to ride a skatepark on the IH...

Here's a pic of my bike:

If you wanted to use is for other types of riding the Konas are probably the best fit. A buddy of mine who is our height was riding one of the Kona DJ hardtails last winter and liked it pretty well.

Another option is the Vagrant, which I haven't had a ride on but I've heard is a great do-it-all HT:

https://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Vagrant.cfm

Members who have read this thread: 0