Need some help with DH Rig choices- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New question here. Need some help with DH Rig choices

Looking for some advice from the experts on a new DH rig. I'm a larger rider at 6'3" and about 250lbs with gear. I'm 40 yrs old and I have been riding BMX and MTB as long as I can remember. I have a long upper torso so top tube length is important (my pants inseam is 30 inches). I feel like I am a bit of a tough fit. I don't see myself doing huge air stuff - a little air and mostly fast as I can go DH with my two teen sons. This is intended to be a DH specific bike primarily for Northstar and other lift-assisted resorts. My shortlist is down to a few bikes: the Intense 951, the new Intense M9, Ellsworth Dare, and Yeti 303 RDH (rail maintenance?). I need something that will hold up well for a number of seasons. Any thoughts on these bikes or other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance all thoughts and advice.

mtbr member
    Pat,

The M9 would be what I would suggest followed by the 303. I would probably skip the other two mainly out of possible durability concerns. Another option is the Banshee legend MKII by all accounts they ride awesome and smooth out trails very well. I have one hanging in the garage waiting to be built so our testers can starting trying it out.

mtbr member
    I recently bought a Yeti 303 RDH. The bike is an amazing DH bike [unfortunatly It turns out I don't really like DH bikes (little bikes ftw) so I have a done out DH bike that's not seeing much riding -.- (if your in B.C. I can be persuaded to sell :P)]
    But! the bike offers adjustability like no other bike on the market. You can adjust the reach/headangle on the bike with just an allen key and without affecting the shock. At it's longest it's got a 16.5" reach so it should be long enough for someone as tall as you.
    It manuals suprisingly well (not much more effort then my 4" bike its astounding) and the thing jumps like you wouldn't believe. It seems to have an auto-level thing that causes it to just flatten out of any jump. It's hard to understand without riding it, but the things not hard to jump and does not get bucked. (it's deffinitly hard to pump, pop and get moving but that's like any DH rig).
    It makes big drops feel like speedbumps and roots feel like asphault PLUS the maintenence is not a big deal. I've got a grease gun that fits onto the grease port and you can just fill the thing with grease. It pukes out excess for the first ride but it's not hard to simply whipe off.
    Another option to look at is the Santa Cruz V10. Those Syndicate Riders are huge and I'm pretty sure the large would fit someone like you.

mtbr member
    Im 6'3" and the XL Jedi fits like a glove its 1/2 size smaller on average than others so its like a cross between a large and XL which is perfect. Its nimble reliable fast and exrtemely forgiving on bad line choices...

Just a though!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm in the same boat as you, but to a greater degree. I too am a lanky-ass mofo, at 6'6" with a 32" inseam.

I compiled a list of all of the longest bikes I can find, with various specs. I tend to look at the reach measure, as it's the most helpful for me in determining how things fit. stack heights remain fairly constant across the board, and are easier to change without affecting handling too much

longest reach is the XL Jedi as pointed out by Bullcrew at 18". for reference, that's longer than my trail bike (a banshee spitfire)

right behind that is the carbon V10 in 10" setting, which comes to a 17.6" reach. also with a 17.6" reach is the Speshy Demo8. (these are about .1" shorter than my spitfire, similar geo all around)

I believe that the new XL trek sessions have a 17.2" reach.

The large M9 is definitely bigger than the old larges (on the 951 and the M6), by a lot. the current medium is the same size as the old large. not sure on how long the large is though, since steber's been dragging his feet a little on getting that geo info out.

that's about it for the significantly long bikes that I can think of. after that, the longest one I can think of is a DW DHR, at 16.7" reach.

keep in mind, all of those frames, with the exception of the demo, are within a couple hundred bucks of $3k brand new. most of them have a pretty close stack height (iirc, around 22-23"). All but the session and the jedi have a 1.5" HT

ridewise, I imagine the M9 to be a great ride. I'm on an M6, and it's a rocket ship. the extra adjustments would be more than welcome as well, so you can make it a bit more fun when you go hit livewire.

The V10 should be closish to the M6 in terms of suspension feel (both are VPP), but I havn't ridden a v10 personally, so...

I HAVE ridden the demo, and it fits really nicely. I'm not a huge fan of the FSR in back though. it didn't let me push through bumps, chatter, and chunder like other bikes I'd ridden. I don't imagine the trek feeling much different from that, as the pivots aren't in that different of a location.

I have no time on the Jedi or DHR, but I have heard that both rip like nothing else.

so there ya go. personally, I'm probably going to get a carbon V10 for various reasons, but good luck finding something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    legend MkII gets a vote from me.

mines a large and most comment on how long it seems to be when they take a bounce on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Going with the Intense M9

Thanks to those that provided advice and feedback - it is very much appreciated. I am ordering the Intense M9 with a SRAM kit, Team Boxxers, and Cane Creek Double Barrel shock. I'm going with the Chrome Black frame. Looking forward to next season at Northstar!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick_os
    Thanks to those that provided advice and feedback - it is very much appreciated. I am ordering the Intense M9 with a SRAM kit, Team Boxxers, and Cane Creek Double Barrel shock. I'm going with the Chrome Black frame. Looking forward to next season at Northstar!

GOOD GOD that will be sick!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    BRYGUY....

Dragging our feet? I put out the PR on the M9-FRO back in august, it had large geo on it. http://www.intensecycles.com/stikman/final_pr_m9.pdf

But if you have any other geo needs (new site with more extensive data is launching by the end of the week, I am almost done, had to fire the guys and finish it myself)
    contact me
    marketing[at]intensecycles[dot]com

Stikman

and Patrick, you are going to be beyond stoked with the M9-FRO, its the finest rig we have ever produced...and I did not think I was going to like black chrome, but holy crap it looks amazing in that color.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick_os
    wow...welcome to the Intense Family

mtbr member
    May 2007
    didn't really mean to slam you guys on it. I've seen the original press release info. Jeff said awhile back that he'd have a finalised geo with reach/stack numbers included in the mix as well. still havn't seen that, despite asking him quite a few times on the forum. straight TT length, as listed on that PR geo, is next to useless to me on this kind of bike. I'm never sitting down on it to pedal it anyway. I'd much rather have reach/stack numbers, since I've found those are a really good way to measure out frames.

anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the new site and the more extensive geo. good to hear that it's finally coming.

Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones
    BRYGUY....

Dragging our feet? I put out the PR on the M9-FRO back in august, it had large geo on it. http://www.intensecycles.com/stikman/final_pr_m9.pdf

But if you have any other geo needs (new site with more extensive data is launching by the end of the week, I am almost done, had to fire the guys and finish it myself)
    contact me
    marketing[at]intensecycles[dot]com

Stikman

and Patrick, you are going to be beyond stoked with the M9-FRO, its the finest rig we have ever produced...and I did not think I was going to like black chrome, but holy crap it looks amazing in that color.

mtbr member
    Go with the Dare. Thats my dream bike and it is a bike that not a lot of people have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    didn't really mean to slam you guys on it. I've seen the original press release info. Jeff said awhile back that he'd have a finalised geo with reach/stack numbers included in the mix as well. still havn't seen that, despite asking him quite a few times on the forum. straight TT length, as listed on that PR geo, is next to useless to me on this kind of bike. I'm never sitting down on it to pedal it anyway. I'd much rather have reach/stack numbers, since I've found those are a really good way to measure out frames.

anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the new site and the more extensive geo. good to hear that it's finally coming.
    BRYGUY, does this help?
    https://intensecycles.com/stikman/m9_geo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones
    yes! thank you very much! knowing that just put the M9 back in the running for me

Members who have read this thread: 0