need some help...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

need some help...

hey everyone.

im looking to get a new bike sometime this winter so i can race next season. im not to sure on what to get so im in need of advise. id also like to do some freeriding too, nothing huge, just some jumps at my house and maybe some stair jumping downtown. i like the look of the giant glory DH, but ive heard its a race bike ONLY and wouldnt be a good choice for any kind of freeriding. is this true?? what other recomendations do you have. my limit is prolly $5000. im 5'3'' and 130lbs if that helps at all. i live in upstate NY so id be racing at whiteface and plattekill and anyplace else that i dont know of yet.

thanks a lot

Glad to Be Alive
    save your cash and buy a used giant DH......you can ride freeride on that too........learn more about bikes before you dump 5 g's on a bike you might not like
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ha. i am learning about the bikes, thats why i made this thread instead of going and buying it right away.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Jebus. 5K is your budget... you can get just about anything you like. Buy something used... rip on it.. learn on it... figure out what you like/dislike in terms of geometry, suspension build, etc... sell the bike and buy one that fits what you found out about yourself better.... and rip some more...

mtbr member
    what would you recommend me looking at?? like i said before something that will race on weekends and something that i can bash during the week.

mtbr member
    man i wish I was a spoiled little bugger like you

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe he worked for his money. Maybe if you worked more and complained less you would be able to afford a $5000 bike yourself

As for a bike, there are plenty of dual-duty options for 5g's. You could check out a used demo, they are very versatile. While I'm not sure of the geo #'s, I hear good things about the Transition Blindside.

mtbr member
    haha. theres no garentee im getting a bike, and this is prolly the biggest thing ive ever gotten, you have no idea, trust me. the reason i said 5k is because originally i was gunna get a dirtbike, but now im kind of stuck inbetween so im looking at my options. ha.

mtbr member
    haha .. i work for my **** too nick :P
    Last edited by toyota kawasaki; 11-02-2007 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks for that. i have workied for it a lot harder than some might think, but im not gunna get into that.

ive looked into the demos and i do love them. they look very well built, as are all specialized bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i am gonna recommend a blindside, only like $3500 for a pretty nice build, also a dirtbag wouldnt be bad, like $250 less or so

mtbr member
    thanks for the recommendations. those bikes do look nice, ill deffinatly look into them. as of now tho im really looking into the demo 7 or 8, but the one thing thats keeping me away is there not the best DH racers from what ive read. is this true??

also, do any of you know some website that i can look on for used DH/FR bikes?? i remember there being a thread on it somewhere but i cant seem to find it.

thanks a lot
    Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 11-04-2007 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    alright guys/girls, as of right now its come down to the demo 7/8 and the blindside. if i got a demo it would prolly be an 06 or an 07 if the price is right. whats the difference between the demo 7 and 8?? is it just travel?? its prolly on the specialized sight but i havent been able to access it in the past 2 days. im not to sure on the blindside yet tho. i do like it, but it seems really simply built, almost too simple.im sure its not, it just looks that way. but it is a lot lighter than the demo which is a huge plus. does anyone else have any recommendations??

also, it terms of racing, how hard is it to get your name out?? how does all that work??

Bike Ninja |||
    get an oh-7 demo 7 (they didn't make them in 06). The new redesign makes them a much more capable race platform then their previous iteration.

so far as sponsorships (i think thats what you mean by "getting your name out") dont' worry about it. 80% of the sponsorships given are just mediocre discounts on parts. If you race, and are good, join a team. you generally have to race a fair amount prior to joining a team however. If you get very good, and have a reputable race resume then you can start looking seriously into sponsorships.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. i would like to get as serious as i could into racing, and possibly have a career in racing. whether its DHing or a motorsport i dont know, only time will tell. so if i do race im gunna do everything i can to get as good as possible.

a thought came to mind, and that is, what about building a bike. buying a frame fork, wheels... would that be a better idea than buying an already built bike??

StraightOuttaCompton
    not for yor first dh bike, buy used and get good and then build up your own specially built bike to your personal specs
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    yea, thats prolly a good idea. thanks.

Bike Ninja |||
    Yup. until you get to the level where you can tell exactly what type of geometry suits you, what suspension works or feels best for you, brakes drivetrain etc, buy used, or get a prebuilt bike.

If you know what you are doing, then there is a huge advantage in building a bike part by part. you get what you want, period. there is no "if i get this model, then i'd only have to change out this that and the other".

buy complete for now.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
    haha. theres no garentee im getting a bike, and this is prolly the biggest thing ive ever gotten, you have no idea, trust me. the reason i said 5k is because originally i was gunna get a dirtbike, but now im kind of stuck inbetween so im looking at my options. ha.
    get both...a used stinky 800 or so and a motorbike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ooo i wish i could but its either one or the other. maybe in the future i could have both, but for now i have to choose between the two. and if one doesnt work out i can always try and pick up the other. im leaning more towards MTBing at the moment because i can use it in more places. if im not racing i can mess around my house or ride downtown and hit some stairs.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
    ooo i wish i could but its either one or the other. maybe in the future i could have both, but for now i have to choose between the two. and if one doesnt work out i can always try and pick up the other. im leaning more towards MTBing at the moment because i can use it in more places. if im not racing i can mess around my house or ride downtown and hit some stairs.

if you feel the absolute need to race, it'll be a LOT cheaper to race competitively in MTB then in motox. plus downhill is amazing.

mtbr member
    thats another reason why i am leaning more towards DHing.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Vp Free!

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    get a used IH sunday or demo 7 or 8. race the snot out of it and buy something else after a few seasons if you are really into the racing thing.

mtbr member
    ill take a look at the ironhorses, thanks for the recommendation.

does anyone know some sights that i can look through for used bikes?? other than ebay.

i eat rocks
    the classifieds link at the top of this page.

mtbr member
    ha, i have checked those out as well. thanks tho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    take a look at ironhorse, you can get a good deal if you buy a new 2007 bike. sundays are sick! but find out about the geo because if you later choose to go freeriding it would probably work but is not going to be the same as getting a freeride bike.

Freetard.
    Craigslist. Thats where I got my yeti AS-X. If you play your cards right, you can get a hell of a deal.

mtbr member
    alright well ive been doing some research and if i get a mtb, ive narrowed it down between the 2007 giant glory DH and the 2006-2007 specialized demo 8. ive read the reviews on both and both seem to fit my needs. whats everyones take on this?? some ppl said earlier that the glory wouldnt be worth the money, is this still true if im getting last yrs, or should i save my money. ive found a few that are in very nice condition and under $2000. ive also found a few demos that are just above $2000 and in very nice condition.

thanks a lot

mtbr member
    can someone tell me the best price for a new sunday, any version would be fine. i just read how well they did in the worlds and im really looking into them. but the price is a little steep considering my price limit has been dropped quite a bit due to some issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There are some new 2007 sundays at rscycle.com with great discounts http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....7&category=459. If you want a used demo 8 here: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...&Search=Search
    Last edited by rzarikian; 11-30-2007 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks for those sights. very helpfull. anyone else??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no problem let us know when you find the right one!!

mtbr member
    will do. i dont think im gunna get the sunday. to expensive for what im need. ive been thinking and realized that i need a bike to start and learn on, not a bike that could possible be to much for me. so im leaning at the demo 8. i can find some pretty decent prices on them and ive heard nothing but good things. im hoping to work at a bike shop this coming year so that will greatly help my ability, being around other riders and all.

thanks again for the help and if anyone has anything to add please do.

PS: can i get a some recommendations on some good mtb vids. freeride, downhill, DJ, stuff like that. im hoping to get ROAM and NWD 8 for christmas, but if theres any others that could be better lmk.

Im a Cowboy
    Having 5 grand to spend is a bit of a dilema for a first downhill bike choice....
    the likelyhood of finding what you like in the first bike is pretty low, if you have another 5 grand to spend on the next bike (afer you ride something else and realise you like it better than what you bought)..then its not a problem, blow the money on a top of the range rig

..BUT if that 5 grand is your budget for a few years ahead..then my advice is demo ride as many different bikes as you can and possibly (you wont like this bit) spend half the amount on a still good but lesser specced bike, believe me after a short time there Will be characteristics of your bike that you feel dont suit you, even if its "the best bike in the world"

P.S. ...you have jumps at your house? ...jammy git
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    im actually brining my budget down to around 2500 because i dont want blow that kind of money without trying/owning a few bikes to see what im looking for. im looking for a bike to learn the basics on and get good at riding. then im gunna go for the best race bikes out there (if its something i want to do). yes i have jumps, and im planning on making a lot more next summer.

i eat rocks
    if your looking at iron horse try randall scott

mtbr member
    hey everyone. havent been around in a while, been focused on skiing. lol. still have no idea what im gunna get. wanting a demo, but there are a lot of glory's that are hundreds cheaper. my parents still dont like the idea. the season is right around the corner and idk if im gunna have a bike just thought id give an update. any ideas on how i can work my parents. lol. ive pretty much everything.

thanks a lot

mtbr member
    soo still bike less . spent to much money this winter on skiing. lol. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about clifcat?? i found a clifcat solution forsale locally and was wondering if they are good bikes. its a 2006, with 06 888's. looks like its brand new. lmk what you think.

thanks.

EDIT: its the clifcat solution, not turmiol.
    Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 04-18-2008 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    i think i found the bike for me, the scott gambler fr20. i can afford it brand new so i dont have to really worry about what im getting. its really adjustable so i can go from freeride to DH. the only thing id really need would prolly be a new fork for next yr. just wanted to let everyone know and see what you think. also wanted to thank everyone for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you can buy a decent/moderatly high end mtb and a decent dirtbike, if you are leaning more toward the mtb get a 50!!! I couldnt live without either one!!!!!!!!!
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

Members who have read this thread: 0